PDA

View Full Version : 2007 1200R - First Impressions (Couple Pics)

GOTWA
1st November 2006, 23:28
Okay well obviously my first impressions are favorable or I wouldn't have bought it. So maybe observations is a better term.

Only got in 35 miles today. Ma Nature and some life priorities made it necessary for me to get home before I crossed over the 50 mark.

But here's what I've noticed so far, and keep in mind I am comparing to an '05 883XL that was well broken in and set-up for me...

It feels different. Obviously, a good bit of this is attributable to my familiarity and set-up on my '05. But even so, the bike feels different. I think a lot of that is the handlebar. Not sure if the wide bar is new for '07 or if it was offered previously on other 1200's but it is definately different than the '05. Much more comfortable for me.

Before I added pullbacks to the '05 I was pretty uncomfortable with the bars. But with these I'm not sure I want to add risers. I thought sure I would based on my other bike but not so sure now. Have to ride a while and see. I do have monkey arms though and think these bars in the stock position may be a stretch for some folks, especially in low speed turns when you're extending your arm farther away from you. But the width sure feels nice to me.

But there's more to it than that and I'm not sure what it is. I've read the frame under went some slight redesigns so maybe that's it. Or maybe it is all in my head and just the fact that it is a new bike.

Brakes are a dissappointment. The dual fronts are certainly an improvement over the single I had but still disappointing. I'd hoped the duals would give more mid-range control but they still lack there. Sort of like you just get from no brake to full brake faster. Would still like more lever "stiffness" and more "feathering" ability. But certainly a good platform to work from but also needs attention to get them where I'd like 'em. I don't see where the switch back to DOT4 made any appreciable difference in performance though.

The seat is better. Okay so I only rode 30 miles today and I know it's minor as most everyone changes it out, but this one is better. A lot better. Not sure if I just got a decent one or if they improved them but on the '05's stock solo by 30 miles my ass was already starting to protest. Certainly not going to say I'll be keeping the seat until I log some more miles.

The clutch is maybe a wee bit easier. I know this is suppossed to have an improved, even easier-pull clutch than the '04/5's got, but I don't think it's that noticable. Granted my old clutch was broken in and this one is brand new so that has some influence but so far not seeing that as big selling point.

SEII's sound different. They took my mufflers off the '05 and put them on the '07. Good throaty sound but different. No way to really explain it. Louder for sure. No two ways about it, they are louder on this bike than the '05. And maybe with a bit more of a pop type sound. More mechanical maybe. Like I said, can't explain it but definately different and definately louder.

How'd she run? Well she ran great actually. I had some subtle "pops" that I think is likely because she wasn't warmed up good. It was 28 degrees while I was out. It made a few subtle pops when I left the dealer and I only rode a couple miles down to Tracy's work and it made a few when I left. Once it was warm I didn't notice them any more. I don't think it has anything to do with the SEII's. At least I sure as hell hope not. Haven't changed the a/c, just pipes. For now, given the limited ride time, I'm sticking with the weather and a cold engine. Also, having to keep the rpm's down for break-in I think is a factor. Can't gun it and run her the way it should be run. I think Sporty's run best in the upper rpm's and having to keep it between 2-3k is not where it is happy. Time and miles will tell.

Tranny is much improved. The single most noticable difference to me was the tranny. It's still tight obviously but even so, much smoother than the '05 was new. Almost zero clunck. That's right, there is almost NO typical Sporty first gear clunck. Neutral is still a bitch with the new tranny but that should pass. But it shifts with a smooth but positive feel. Big improvement in my mind.

Sportster Girl
1st November 2006, 23:34
Thanks for the initial word. Waiting on the update.

Congrats again! :D

Are you going to spend the night in the Sporty Shack looking at it?

GOTWA
1st November 2006, 23:50
http://xlforum.net/photopost/data/500/medium/firstday1.jpg

http://xlforum.net/photopost/data/500/medium/firstday2.jpg

http://xlforum.net/photopost/data/500/medium/firstday3.jpg

Cleatus approves. :)
http://xlforum.net/photopost/data/500/medium/firstday4.jpg

Sportster Girl
1st November 2006, 23:53
Man, she's a beauty! You look like a real proud poppa! :)

That black engine just rocks!

stevo
1st November 2006, 23:56
remember to bed your rings in as we've discussed...

Don't stress too much about the revs it's doing as long as it's a free rev for a short burst...

GOTWA
1st November 2006, 23:57
Man, she's a beauty! You look like a real proud poppa! :)

That black engine just rocks!

It does don't it? :D:D:D

That is something I've always wanted. In fact I was going to paint lots o'parts when I did the conversion on the '05. Not a worry any more. :)

Did ya notice the kickstand is black too? :banana

stevo
1st November 2006, 23:58
bed your brake pads in too .... run about 50+mph and pull the brakes on firm and hold the power on for a long as ya can without loading the motor up too much... repeat a few times in quick succession..

Ya wanna get the suckas HOT and get all the gunk out of 'em and match 'em to your discs

GOTWA
1st November 2006, 23:58
remember to bed your rings in as we've discussed...

Don't stress too much about the revs it's doing as long as it's a free rev for a short burst...

Kept reminding myself of that today. Hard to do with my limited experience with brand new bikes. My biggest concern was not luggin' it. Rather rev it up than lug it for sure. And after 50 miles I won't be near as disciplined to HD's recommendations I was with the '05.

xena
1st November 2006, 23:59
Nice ride! Thanks for the update.
That color is awesome. Glad you
got her home before snow piles
up out there. Again, congrats!:banarock :clap :banawala :bluebanan :banarasta :chtwo

GOTWA
2nd November 2006, 00:00
bed your brake pads in too .... run about 50+mph and pull the brakes on firm and hold the power on for a long as ya can without loading the motor up too much... repeat a few times in quick succession..

Ya wanna get the suckas HOT and get all the gunk out of 'em and match 'em to your discs

Did that today, sorta. Not at 50mph but was hammering them and dragging them and what not. Changing up and working them.

Prebs
2nd November 2006, 00:07
Very nice bike Gotwa thanks for the pics!

GOTWA
2nd November 2006, 00:10
Couple other things that popped into my head that I wanted to mention...

Yesterday on the test ride I was reminded just how sad the stock shocks are. Having run my 412's since not long after I got the '05 I'd become used to them. But out on the test ride yesterday I was reminded of the old wallows, dips, squishiness, etc. Certainly glad I got the 412's swapped over! If you're still running stock shocks, call Trak-Tek or NRHS.

Gearing. Much different than the '05 883. More legs. Hard to really get a feel for them since I can't crack her open yet and put her through the paces but certainly different. First couple not as much but becomes more obvious after that.

stevo
2nd November 2006, 00:18
Don't be afraid to give it a bit for short bursts ..

Think demo bike.......

btkicker
2nd November 2006, 01:25
Grats!

Be sure to run it at 40-50mph, 3rd gear, for 3 minutes...the ecm resets the o2 sensor numbers...just like the buells. Do this every so often. Fuel economy also improves.

whispanic
2nd November 2006, 01:26
Looks sweet...

I hope you got Cleatus a helmet!

Adios

jamman
2nd November 2006, 01:33
ride the crap outta it Erik.. looks good.

dakota_dj
2nd November 2006, 01:45
Great looking bike. :urock

Gone
2nd November 2006, 02:25
Makes me even more hungry for mine to arrive. I went vivid black. And now our Wa. rain is making it's annual return for the next eight months. Will you get a dyno run when it's broke in to see how it compares to your previous one?

pquirk
2nd November 2006, 02:45
Sounds cool Man, congrats. Definitely a nice looking ride :).

jrazo
2nd November 2006, 03:03
sweeeet. I was looking at a silver 1200R at St Augustine HD last weekend, they are a true thing of beauty! Ride safe, can't wait to hear more about it!!!!

Roadster_Rider
2nd November 2006, 03:16
lookin good, enjoy the new scoot!

oakies
2nd November 2006, 03:25
Nice looking bike. On my old Ironhead I must have tried 10 different handlebar-riser combinations..and never really got it "right". When I got my 04 Roadster...the wide handlebars were GREAT...Never even thought about changing them...

What I did'nt like about my Roadster was the silver motor....Your black one looks awesome..

GOTWA
2nd November 2006, 03:27
If anyone considering an '07 has any specific questions, ask away and I'll do my best to answer. But keep in mind, I can only snatch riding days here and there and soon the snow will fly. If you look in the pics I posted, just below the white car are chuncks of ice. ;)

GOTWA
2nd November 2006, 16:12
Couple notes from the 2007 owner's manual...

883/R
Overall width: 32.7"
Overall height: 45.7"
Saddle height: 27.3"

1200R
Overall width: 36.7"
Overall height: 49.2"
Saddle height: 28.1"

Not sure why there are these differences other than the different seats. But, that could be why the bike felt different to me.

Recommended octane: 91 (All models)

Shock Absorbers: Don't remember this from the '05, but according to the manual, XL883/R and 1200R's only have three pre-load settings. All other models have five. Just found that interesting.

The salesman said HD is recommending oil changes every 2500 miles now. However, I can find no reference to this in the manual. Only the 1k and then on every 5k This goes back to a discussion a while ago on another thread.

Also, salesman gave me the wrong rpm's. I can go up to 4k not 3k.

Moved On / My Own Choice
2nd November 2006, 17:03
The salesman said HD is recommending oil changes every 2500 miles now. However, I can find no reference to this in the manual. Only the 1k and then on every 5k This goes back to a discussion a while ago on another thread.

Also, salesman gave me the wrong rpm's. I can go up to 4k not 3k.

Some salesman should be beat within inches of their miserable lives.

btkicker
2nd November 2006, 17:43
yep, the manual and millions of owners say it's 1000,5000,10000...

Uncledaddy
2nd November 2006, 17:59
Good info Chucky, especially the part about the tranny. For some reason, I always figured you for an expert on trannies.
No first gear clunk huh? Personally, I'd miss that. I just like that solid, hard feel.

BTW: Who's that chick standing next to your bike?
J/K of course..... please don't hate me.

btkicker
2nd November 2006, 19:02
When i'm stopped at a stoplight, I get a nice HD clunk on my '07. But when downshifting coming to stop, no clunk.

GOTWA
2nd November 2006, 19:18
Good info Chucky, especially the part about the tranny. For some reason, I always figured you for an expert on trannies.
No first gear clunk huh? Personally, I'd miss that. I just like that solid, hard feel.

BTW: Who's that chick standing next to your bike?
J/K of course..... please don't hate me.

Whose Chucky? :dunno

You're so cute and witty. And gosh I'm flattered you'd take some time out of your life to direct some of that genius sarcasm toward lil ole me.

And yesterday you and klown both went out of your way to share your brilliance with me. Gosh, all that and a new bike in two days...my life is so complete.

:tour

Jimbo999
2nd November 2006, 19:25
I don't see any Heat Shields on the pipes or is it just the pics ??????

pquirk
2nd November 2006, 19:28
I don't see any Heat Shields on the pipes or is it just the pics ??????Looks like standard issue heat shields to me :dunno.

GOTWA
2nd November 2006, 19:28

Must just be the pics Jimbo, they're on there.

Jimbo999
2nd November 2006, 19:31
Must be my crap monitor then......Thanks

Sportster Girl
2nd November 2006, 21:43
And yesterday you and klown both went out of your way to share your brilliance with me. Gosh, all that and a new bike in two days...my life is so complete.

:tour

Ya got one of them thar 'magnetic' personalities GOTWA. :laugh

Ghugly
2nd November 2006, 22:08
Congratulations! That's a great looking bike. Living in central California, 28degrees is damned extreme riding weather. How well does the fuel injecton work at start up in that kind of temp?

GOTWA
2nd November 2006, 22:15
Congratulations! That's a great looking bike. Living in central California, 28degrees is damned extreme riding weather. How well does the fuel injecton work at start up in that kind of temp?

Looks like it was good that I got out there when I did cuz it's snowing like crazy now! :o

It fires right up. I'm getting some occassional subtle popping on decelleration. I think this is a combination of the SEII's and the cold temps.

btkicker
2nd November 2006, 22:28

The '07 doesn’t have heat shields.

stevo
2nd November 2006, 22:58
Change your oil na dfilter short .... first change @ about 100 - 200 miles then about 1000 then about 2500 then at 2500 intervals or 6 months..

I don't care what HD says... 5000 is too long unless they're touring miles..

Matt
2nd November 2006, 23:02
Thanks for the update and congrats on the new ride! Matt

debster
3rd November 2006, 21:50
Looks fabulous! Thanks for the report. And how come Cleatus is smiling more than you?

Fork
3rd November 2006, 22:47
Congrats on the new bike!! Looks great!!

rlstone
3rd November 2006, 23:02
GOTWA, I don't like your bike....

I LOVE IT!! Nice, ride, dude. Enjoy it and ride it like a rented mule!!

Moved On / My Own Choice
4th November 2006, 00:15
Change your oil na dfilter short .... first change @ about 100 - 200 miles then about 1000 then about 2500 then at 2500 intervals or 6 months..

I don't care what HD says... 5000 is too long unless they're touring miles..

Horse-shyte - but there is no need to argue about it here...

Drew1200c
5th November 2006, 03:05
cool you got the dual gages. The only one I saw at my local stealer with the dual gages was the XL50. I got a 07 1200c but wish I had a tach, nice bike:banapart

rharrison356
5th November 2006, 03:54
Great bike. I am riding my XL50 in the low 20s. No starting issues...it's a great bike for the price. :banana

shedds
6th November 2006, 02:06
i hate my 05 sportster !!! because it has a carb and clunky trannie getting a big twin then i will be happy.

Roadster_Rider
6th November 2006, 02:08
i hate my 05 sportster !!! because it has a carb and clunky trannie getting a big twin then i will be happy.

Kind of random... but ok, dont let the door hit ya where the good lord split ya.

Don50
8th November 2006, 21:13
Hey GOTWA, is that Lava Red Sunglo ?? Just looks alot like my bike and that's what it is....cept its a 04 R...
Looking good though....don't ya just hate it when ya get one during the cold time of the year.....
Great looking ride though...be safe....

GOTWA
8th November 2006, 22:51
Hey GOTWA, is that Lava Red Sunglo ?? Just looks alot like my bike and that's what it is....cept its a 04 R...
Looking good though....don't ya just hate it when ya get one during the cold time of the year.....
Great looking ride though...be safe....

Fire Red Pearl. Close but maybe a little deeper red. My buddy has a lava red/black Custom. We'll have to get them side-by-side in the spring and get a better feel for the difference.

Nodaclu
9th November 2006, 05:37
I wanted the 1200R but just couldn't swing the payments and ended up with an 06 883.

Very first thing I did was buy a 1200R seat off of Ebay, and ordered the stock 1200R handlebars. The difference in the showroom between the ergos of the XL883 and the 1200R was unbelievable, and I wanted that 1200R feel on my bike if at all possible.

Plus, it had the added bonus of moving the mirrors a little further out, and I can actually see out of them now! The wiring is a little tighter then I'd like, but I anticipate that they'll stretch a bit in the Vegas heat.

Congats on the awesome bike!

~Mike

bmcdonau
9th November 2006, 14:16
Hey GOTWA, is that Lava Red Sunglo ?? ....

That's one thing I don't understand about HD. Lava red sunglo? What kind of name is that for a Harley color? It ought to be something like dried blood red on the street metallic or rusty scrap metal red oxide.:)

Gearloose
20th November 2006, 23:27
Waiting to pick up my Pewter Pearl one.Was going to go with the Fire Red Pearl but opted for the Pewter.