PDA

View Full Version : LSR Sporty Build

Pages : [1] 2

ol38y
25th January 2009, 05:24
Well, it's finally coming together so I thot I'd show you all what I've been trying to put together for the last year. I ran this bike in '07 with a 1250 motor at El Mirage and Bonneville. In that time I learned enough to have a better idea of what I wanted and hopefully what I needed to be competitive. The new motor starts with S+S cases for a de-stroked sporty build. The motor will be toped off with carillo rods, red shift cams and STD heads.

http://xlforum.net/photopost/data/500/517.jpg
This is my base bike

http://xlforum.net/photopost/data/500/341.jpg
chopped tank so I can get lower...

http://xlforum.net/photopost/data/500/610.jpg
extended swingarm

http://xlforum.net/photopost/data/500/427.jpg
bracket to hang front caliper on rear wheel

http://xlforum.net/photopost/data/500/516.jpg
hanger mounted

Well lets see how these pics post...:rolleyes:

ol38y
25th January 2009, 05:39
Here's a few pics of the STD heads with altered valve angles and raised ports.

http://xlforum.net/photopost/data/500/158.jpg
http://xlforum.net/photopost/data/500/web_size.jpg
http://xlforum.net/photopost/data/500/249.jpg

As a side note, to get the compression up where it should be I'll be running no head gasget. I'll be running what's called a fire ring. It's kinda like a bell and spigot cut into the heads and cyls...

ol38y
25th January 2009, 05:56
Just a close up to see how I decided to extend the swingarm. I machined some plugs to drive in the end of the stock swingarm. Then welded 1/2 X 1" bar for strength. This allowed me to not have to reweld or move the shocks and foot controls..

http://xlforum.net/photopost/data/500/712.jpg

Before driving the plugs in I filled the swingarm with buckshot, adding only 7 lbs. But, the bar and plate I welded on added 14 lbs., so, I've added 21lbs to the swingarm. Traction...

kane
25th January 2009, 09:39
Now ths is a thread I will follow:)
How much have you chopped the tank? I like the look of it even if it`s the function you`re after;)

883turbo
26th January 2009, 03:25
how much over stock is the swingarm.

rottenralph
26th January 2009, 03:32
I have raise ports in my Jet heads, what is the purpose? Tank looks cool, purpose built for you but good looking for the rest of us.

Stephen Lowry
26th January 2009, 15:55
The fire ring works great, I've had one for years and never a problem, who finished your ports and how much air do they move? Pictures please..........................Steve

ol38y
26th January 2009, 18:02
Thanks all for the comments.

Kane, I think we ended up chopping the tank about 1 1/2". What we dud was, cut the bottom out of the tank, then shove it up inside the tank till there was less then 1/2" between the filler neck and the tank tunnel.

883, the extention is 3 3/4". I will mention that by doing it this way you have to remake a brake hanger.

Ralph, it's my understanding that raising the ports is to straighten out the pathway of the intake and exhaust ports. It takes some of the bend out of them to help increase flow. I saw the pics of yur jey heads, look good. I sure would like to see a pic of them at the intake manifold!

Steve, Craig at STD did the heads. We didn't flow them there but I'll prolly do it here before I buttom them down.

Stephen Lowry
26th January 2009, 19:56
Very cool, keep us informed, what is the bore size, the chamber looks good, valve sizes? ( man I ask alot of questions, don't I? ) Thank's, I love projects like these................Steve

ol38y
27th January 2009, 05:38
Very cool, keep us informed, what is the bore size, the chamber looks good, valve sizes? ( man I ask alot of questions, don't I? ) Thank's, I love projects like these................Steve

Hey Steve. It's 3 13/16" bore with 2.1" intake and 1.75" exhaust.

I didn't get much done today. I had to buy a 3/8" pipe tap to thread the cam cover for the vent I'm gonna use there. So, I went ahead and drilled and tapped the cover when I got home. While I had the cutting oil out I went ahead and tapped the hole to plug off the oil passage I exposed when I cut down the cam cover.

Rchop
27th January 2009, 05:49
Looking good Larry, what's the motor displacement? What year is the motor?

racerwill
27th January 2009, 06:06
looking good so far..... how fast do you hope to run this bike?

Ww

ol38y
27th January 2009, 06:17
Thanks Randy. The motor will be 1350. As far as year, the frame is a '95 Sporty but the engine has S+S cases I got last year and heads I picked up this year. :doh

Will, the records right now at El Mirage and Bonneville are 165 and change. In AMA competition I can run in the modified class but SCTA I'll run in Altered cuz of the aftermarket cases.

Stephen Lowry
27th January 2009, 12:56
Allright, those are great valve choices. I'll be really interested in flow numbers on those. Did you opt for raised ports on both IN. & EX.? So you were venting the gear case last night huh? Did you put the vent on the aft corner right down from the #2 cylinder exhaust lifter? ( See Pic below ) I love stuff like this. What kind of horsepower @ rpm are you working towards?....................Steve

http://xlforum.net/photopost/data/500/medium/XR_dual_carb_iron_XR_dirt_track.jpg

aswracing
27th January 2009, 16:23
Looking good Larry!

The BNI record holder in A-PG 1350 is my wife ... here's her bike ...

http://www.nrhsperformance.com/pictures/s1left.jpg

She set that record at WOS in '07.

The bike is truly an "M" bike, though, it's a terrible "A" bike. A good "A" bike takes advantage of the rules allowing a low, lay-down rider position, among other things. We were forced to run "A" because of the S&S cases. We've since done a stock case motor and moved the bike back to "M" where it belongs. We ran it in '08 but broke it putting some juice to it in the fuel class.

We have a true A-PG 1350 bike too, a Truett-Osborn frame with the S&S cased motor that we took out of the S1, reconfigured heavily. It's first and only event so far was Bub's '08 after hastily completing it a couple days before the event. Dyno results were disappointing, about 129, but I had no time to figure it out (the S1 was more like 135hp). We just went with it. My first pass on the bike was a tick over 170, backup pass was 168 and change, for a 169 average. I have no doubt the bike will do 175 with a little tuning and a smaller rider.

But right now, my plan is to run that bike in the fuel class for '09. I'm moving all the nitro stuff from the orange bike (now retired) over to it. I figure we'll run other classes until our gas class records get broken, then rotate back to them. So in BNI, you'll probably be running against Susan's 165 record. I think you can break it, you look to me like you're doing it right. If there's anything I can do to help, let me know.

Keep in mind that rider girth has a huge effect on these naked class speeds. Before I hopped on the bike, I let a 240lb friend make a few passes. His fast pass was 154. I hopped on (170lbs) with no changes, and went 170. On the S1, Susan (95lbs) is consistently 10mph faster than me with no other changes. It makes a huge difference.

Conditions also can cause a similar size swing. If it's rough, or mushy, or windy, you simply aren't gonna go fast.

To set a record, you generally need a convergence ... bike running right, geared right, no mistakes, good conditions, and the right rider. Any one of those things being wrong will cost you the record.

Best of luck to you.

ol38y
27th January 2009, 17:18
Thanks Aaron. I appreciate your input.

I remember when Susan set that record. I was definately concerned she would put it up near 170, but the conditions were far from optimum as I remember. I also agree her bike is really an "M" bike. If not for the cases mine would be as well. Even as I extended the swingarm I kept in mind the 10% wheelbase rule, in SCTA, in the event the aftermarket cases rule changed. But, I don't forsee that changing. I also had conversations with Drew on the swingarm. According to him, if I modified the stock swingarm I could stay in "M" for AMA. But, I've also heard rumors that Dennis was going to try and make the AMA rules more in line with SCTA, so we'll see what that brings.

I also know I've picked one of the biggest mountains out there to climb. I just hope to make a respectable showing. It musta been Dan that mentioned, at the time, you were thinking about moving to the fuel classes.

I also understand what you're saying about girth... I've been eating salads all year to no avail.

As you can probably tell, I'm just getting to the mock up stage on the engine. I'm still not satisfied with the configuration for the exhaust. I've kinda rounded off the numbers to come up with an 8" X 10" X 12" design. My shade tree math kinda has me at a stand still there.

Here's to good conditions and fast moving lines in Sept.

ol38y
27th January 2009, 18:02
Allright, those are great valve choices. I'll be really interested in flow numbers on those. Did you opt for raised ports on both IN. & EX.? So you were venting the gear case last night huh? Did you put the vent on the aft corner right down from the #2 cylinder exhaust lifter? ( See Pic below ) I love stuff like this. What kind of horsepower @ rpm are you working towards?....................Steve

http://xlforum.net/photopost/data/500/medium/XR_dual_carb_iron_XR_dirt_track.jpg

Yeah, the exhaust are raised a little but not as much as the intake. The vent is going up front where the "new" bikes run them, LOL. Right on top of the oil filter hump. The back is for the oil drain from the heads. I've run a computer program for the HP and I can only hope. As for RPM I'm shooting for 7000-7200. At 7200 piston speed is 4320 fpm.

Stephen Lowry
27th January 2009, 19:27
Right on man, what is that a 3 5/8" stroke? Wishing you all the good fortune available. Like I said before I love projects like this. Let us know how those good looking heads flow if you get around to it............Steve

ol38y
29th January 2009, 03:45
Steve, it's 3.6 stroke.

Got started today checking valve to piston clearance. Didn't get very far. Turns out the valve pockets in the pistons are nowhere near big enough for the valves.....

ol38y
30th January 2009, 22:56
Well, the saga continues...:smoke

After a couple lengthy phone conversations with STD and CP Pistons, I've ordered new pistons. More importantly, the correct pistons. This will also allow me to raise the compression up to where it should be. Something that was impossible with the pistons I was originally supplied. So, 3 weeks till I get new pistons.

I also need to give big kudos to everyone at STD for their help in this build. Anyone considering a big build does themselves a big disservice if they don't talk to STD. :clap:clap

Kwest187
30th January 2009, 23:16
Best of luck-looks like you have a lot of supporters and great tech info flowing. If those salads don't do for you just shoot me a call-I'm half midget at 5-5" and a 140 lbs...most bikes don't even know I'm on them-lol
keep the pics and updates coming

isiahstites
31st January 2009, 01:32
Well, the saga continues...:smoke

After a couple lengthy phone conversations with STD and CP Pistons, I've ordered new pistons. More importantly, the correct pistons. This will also allow me to raise the compression up to where it should be. Something that was impossible with the pistons I was originally supplied. So, 3 weeks till I get new pistons.

I also need to give big kudos to everyone at STD for their help in this build. Anyone considering a big build does themselves a big disservice if they don't talk to STD. :clap:clap

Wonderful, you never can catch a break with that motor can you.........at least you caught it early enough. In 07' my Cp pistons kept me from taking the Buell to Bonneville.

The build looks good Larry!

Scott

ol38y
1st February 2009, 05:44
Wonderful, you never can catch a break with that motor can you.........at least you caught it early enough. In 07' my Cp pistons kept me from taking the Buell to Bonneville.

The build looks good Larry!

Scott

To be fair Scott. I'm not sure that I want to place blame on CP. In fact they were very helpful when I called. They will have one of my heads and a set of the old pistons on monday so they can fill the combustion chamber with piston. :banana

rottenralph
1st February 2009, 05:48
Is it safe to say that you guys ar using CP pistons because they will make them to whatever spec you want and not rob you blind doing it?

ol38y
1st February 2009, 06:16
Yeah that, Ralph, and they come reccomended. Check out their web site and look at their special order form for pistons. I never gave it much thought before about ordering special pistons. But, after looking over their form the light finally came on. I never thought about what questions you'd have to ask. with the answers to their questions I see more how they design the pistons.

isiahstites
1st February 2009, 06:44
And the price to make a custom on off piston was not bad at all, I bought two sets so I would have a spare.

Scott

55chevr
7th February 2009, 01:02
Yes ... I use CP Pistons as well ... Joe

ol38y
1st April 2009, 02:40
I was finally able to get some things done today. I finally got the heads back from CP Pistons and with the old pistons I was able to check the timing on the cams. Happily they all checked within 1/2 to 1 degree of the cam specs. I'll have some pics posted hopefully tomorrow of the setup we made to check the timing off the lifters.

To check the valve to valve clearance at TDC we improvised again. Since we knew the tdc lift after degreeing the cams, we opened the valves to their tdc lift and measured. Using an oring to hold the valves in place we have .088 clearance between valves at tdc. More then sufficient.

Lastly today we installed the starter and primary. Possibly tomorrow we will take the cam cover off again for a final cleaning and lube, then reassembly.

May 15 is fast approaching but we are seeing progress again.

maru
1st April 2009, 04:10
It is amazing how different speed trials chassis setup is from Roadracing. While i have no doubt there is benefit in doing it, if you told a roadracer you were adding lead shot inside your swingarm to add weight he would look at you cross eyed. Is the added swingarm length for stability only or are their additional benefits as well? Is there benefit to running higher than normal tire pressure or does the reduced contact patch reduce grip too much? Body position has a huge effect on roadracer top speed. Some bikes work better with the riders butt on top of the tail section instead of a lower position down in the seat. This is because it changes the angle off the riders back and this alters how the air closes up around the back of the bike. Very tight Leathers make a difference on the big tracks. Even though all full face helmets look the same they do not go thru the air the same. i find your sport very interesting and hope to hear more about your project and how it works out for you.

ol38y
2nd April 2009, 05:53
It is amazing how different speed trials chassis setup is from Roadracing. While i have no doubt there is benefit in doing it, if you told a roadracer you were adding lead shot inside your swingarm to add weight he would look at you cross eyed. Is the added swingarm length for stability only or are their additional benefits as well? Is there benefit to running higher than normal tire pressure or does the reduced contact patch reduce grip too much? Body position has a huge effect on roadracer top speed. Some bikes work better with the riders butt on top of the tail section instead of a lower position down in the seat. This is because it changes the angle off the riders back and this alters how the air closes up around the back of the bike. Very tight Leathers make a difference on the big tracks. Even though all full face helmets look the same they do not go thru the air the same. i find your sport very interesting and hope to hear more about your project and how it works out for you.

LOL, yeah if you told a road racer you were putting lead in his swingarm you'd probably take a shot. I lengthened the swingarm for stability but you sacrifice some traction. But it also gives me quite a bit of room in front of the tire to add weight and keep it low. Yes there is a benefit, IMO, to higher tire pressures.

Now lets see if I can post some pics and show you how a shade tree checks cam timing.

http://xlforum.net/photopost/data/500/TDC_email.jpg
In order to exactley determine TDC we bolted the plate across the top of the barrel. Then rotate the piston till it contacts the piston and note the degree. Then, rotate the crank the opposite direction till the piston hits the plate again. So, exactly between these 2 measurements is TDC.

http://xlforum.net/photopost/data/500/medium/degree_wheel.jpg

Next we set up the dial indicator on the lifters.

http://xlforum.net/photopost/data/500/medium/dial_indicator.jpg

Then at .053 lift the cams should open and close to mfg. specs. Whataya know, they did. I've been told cams can vary as much as 5 deg from one set of cases to another. That's why we took the time to check these cams. The difference between doing it at the lifter vs the valve is from the lifter you must multiply the lift by the rocker ratio. While checking the timing we took note of TDC lift of the valves for another test.

http://xlforum.net/photopost/data/500/medium/valve_clearance.jpg

We needed to check valve to valve clearance. With the numbers from before we opened the valves the required amount and held them in place with o rings. We have .088 clearance between the valves at TDC. More then enough. :p

http://xlforum.net/photopost/data/500/medium/o_rings.jpg

With the valves closed you can see the o rings that held them in place.

It may not be how the big boys do it, but that's how we did it.
Re installed the cams today with plenty of assembly lube and finished the oil lines. While we're waiting on the pistons we may install the cyls. and heads again to see what brackets we need to make for the super D carb. Gettin closer...

Stephen Lowry
2nd April 2009, 16:00
The heads look real good. I'll send you a private message...........Steve

maru
6th April 2009, 04:33
I am lusting after your engine cases they would be of real benefit to my project but i had to draw the line in a few places. Would not mind being burdened with those heads either.

ol38y
6th April 2009, 04:44
LOL, thanks Maru. As far as a burden goes, that's an ongoing discussion with my CPA. He keeps telling me I can't claim them as a deduction. I'm still investigating...

ol38y
9th April 2009, 02:47
Well, the big brown truck showed up today. o'boy, o'boy, o'boy :banana
He brought my new pistons. They've been the hold up for over 2 weeks.
http://xlforum.net/photopost/data/500/pistons.jpg
http://xlforum.net/photopost/data/500/medium/ring_lands.jpg

So Sat should be the day to put the topend together. Then see what else has to be fabricated besides a carb support.:smoke
http://xlforum.net/photopost/data/500/progress.jpg

Stephen Lowry
9th April 2009, 02:53
Larry, the pistons look good, so you'll put the top end on this weekend?

rottenralph
9th April 2009, 02:58
Glad to see you are back on track. My manifold wil be here also this week. It is a good week.

ol38y
9th April 2009, 03:08
Larry, the pistons look good, so you'll put the top end on this weekend?

Yeah, that's the plan Steve. I know I'm going to have to make some braces for the super D carb after it's together but who knows what else will pop up. It may be optimistic but the VP Fuel guy is supposed to call me when he goes thru town Fri. so I can get 10 gal. of C-25.

That's great Ralph. Don't ya just love those brown trucks... I love it when a plan comes together. :clap

rottenralph
9th April 2009, 03:27
What is c25, my neighbor has a 55 gallon drum of sunoco blue 110 in his garage he nolonger needs for his race bike(sold). It is probably not the right fuel for me but if I hear a single ping I might get it to mix. (ups has almost delivered a hole 65 mustang in the last two months. Still waiting on 1 part and that job is baked also).

cobrastang305
9th April 2009, 03:32
That's an awesome project. Id love to hear that motor run.

ol38y
9th April 2009, 03:41
What is c25, my neighbor has a 55 gallon drum of sunoco blue 110 in his garage he nolonger needs for his race bike(sold). It is probably not the right fuel for me but if I hear a single ping I might get it to mix. (ups has almost delivered a hole 65 mustang in the last two months. Still waiting on 1 part and that job is baked also).

That's right, you've had 2 projects goin this winter. Cool. The C-25 is 113 octane gas from VP. I was running the C-12 but it's only 108 oct. It's been a while since I looked at the Sunoco fuels cuz they're not that easy to find out here. I don't remember if the sunoco 110 is leaded but the VP C fuels are all leaded. I'm sure you know that lead wreaks havoc on o2 sensors.

rottenralph
9th April 2009, 03:48
It appears that it is 112 octane leaded fuel. Thats what the Sunoco site says. should I buy it and send you a can(lol). Costs 80 bucks for gallons to your door. http://www.hiperfuels.com/catalog.aspx?DeptID=169320&ItemID=2523263&detail=1&storename=highfuelsn

ol38y
9th April 2009, 04:00
LOL, I'll come by and pick up 5 gals... I don't know why they charge a HAZ-mat fee cuz at the price i'm not gonna spill any... The last time I bought C-12 it was $60 IIRC, but that was 1 year ago.

I think I shoulda stuck to dirt track. It was lots cheaper...

ol38y
22nd May 2009, 16:53
It's been a while but after waiting over 6 weeks for the pistons I was able to get back to assembling the top end. Had some TDC clearance issues to resolve. It is now together for the final time. Ended up with 14.2-1 compression.

http://xlforum.net/photopost/data/500/top_end.jpg

Made a brace for the super D carb

http://xlforum.net/photopost/data/500/carb_brace.jpg

Down to the piddley stuff now. Wiring, make the exhaust, some A/C mods

Plan to hit the Dyno either the 30th of May or June 6th. Then El Mirage is the 14th of June.

Swankster
22nd May 2009, 17:08
It's been a while but after waiting over 6 weeks for the pistons I was able to get back to assembling the top end. Had some TDC clearance issues to resolve. It is now together for the final time. Ended up with 14.2-1 compression.

http://xlforum.net/photopost/data/500/top_end.jpg

Made a brace for the super D carb

http://xlforum.net/photopost/data/500/carb_brace.jpg

Down to the piddley stuff now. Wiring, make the exhaust, some A/C mods

Plan to hit the Dyno either the 30th of May or June 6th. Then El Mirage is the 14th of June.

Awesome! you runnin one thunder jet with that carb or what?
keep us apprised...
Best of Luck
Swankster

ol38y
23rd May 2009, 18:40
Yeah, 1 thunder jet on a super D. I got the front motor mount modified (torch) to fit and the center fitted. Oil drain lines run. I'll finish the wiring today. Of course I can't find the other set of plug wires I thought I had. So I have 4 plugs and 2 wires... Then after I solder the radiator cap bung in the top tank of the Peterbilt I'll get back to finishing the exhaust... Glad it's a long weekend...

Stephen Lowry
23rd May 2009, 19:49
I love that deep float bowl and the mount, damn good job............

Stephen Lowry
23rd May 2009, 19:50
I sent you an off site message ( Yahoo)............steve

rocketmangb
23rd May 2009, 20:09
Oly,

I have half a brain left.

Can i volunteer for pit help @ Elmers Garage ?

I am 45 minutes away !

Thanks

Rocketman

ol38y
23rd May 2009, 20:57
Oly,

I have half a brain left.

Can i volunteer for pit help @ Elmers Garage ?

I am 45 minutes away !

Thanks

Rocketman

LOL, then between the 2 of us we're covered... I never turn down help. I hope you like Bud Light. I'll pm ya later, headin back to the shop...:smoke

rocketmangb
23rd May 2009, 22:15
I sure miss the 2 weeks it takes to get the alkali out of your ears after a weekend at elmers.

Not to mention the wind howling all night !

Will have to bring my own alky as i dont drink Bud !

First trip to Elmers was 1970 i think

My next door neihbor had an E/GR, 258 inch Chevy ran like 161

rocketmangb
25th May 2009, 19:49
Larry,
Couple question's
What sizes are the rings ?
And why is the top ring so far off the deck ?

ol38y
26th May 2009, 02:16
Larry,
Couple question's
What sizes are the rings ?
And why is the top ring so far off the deck ?

We had to lower the ring package because of the depth and size of the intake valve pocket...

ol38y
28th May 2009, 18:49
Well, after a few more days of thrashing it's finally ready for the dyno. I still need to wrap the pipes but we have an appointment for Sat AM for the dyno. http://xlforum.net/photopost/data/500/finally_1.jpg
It's been a long time coming...:banana

rocketmangb
3rd June 2009, 04:34
Any Joy on the Dyno ?

ol38y
3rd June 2009, 05:52
Any Joy on the Dyno ?

Well, there was but it was short lived. We broke it in on the dyno and then started the tuning runs. We made a high of 138 hp but I don't remember what the torque was. Then on the second to last planned pull we had a failure. I don't want to say more at this time as it looks to be an assembly problem and not something I assembled. :frownthre

But, at least I know the bike will make the numbers. There's probably a few more hp there with more top end a/f adjustments. So, I guess I'll be putting the 1250 motor in for El Mirage the 14th. Hopefully that will get me an even earlier starting time for July.

rocketmangb
3rd June 2009, 09:40
Well, there was but it was short lived. We broke it in on the dyno and then started the tuning runs. We made a high of 138 hp but I don't remember what the torque was. Then on the second to last planned pull we had a failure. I don't want to say more at this time as it looks to be an assembly problem and not something I assembled. :frownthre

But, at least I know the bike will make the numbers. There's probably a few more hp there with more top end a/f adjustments. So, I guess I'll be putting the 1250 motor in for El Mirage the 14th. Hopefully that will get me an even earlier starting time for July.

That sucks but i still planning on the trip !
You coming out Saturday ?

ol38y
4th June 2009, 02:31
That sucks but i still planning on the trip !
You coming out Saturday ?

Yeah, the plan is to be there around noon Sat. We'll either camp by the exit road on the west end of the lake or along the return road on the north side of the course. It depends on how crowded the return road gets.

Rchop
4th June 2009, 14:45
Sorry to hear about a failure Larry :frownone

I like that tail cover, what is it?

ol38y
5th June 2009, 17:05
It's one of Kents.

isiahstites
6th June 2009, 01:11
It's one of Kents.

Is that the tail I shipped you?

Sorry, about the failure Larry..........138 is a nice number for that motor.

Give me a call sometime and we will get together at El Mirage.......I will be running the Busa again.........let me know when you are ready to buy my 1350motor. It just needs a balance job and probably a refresh on the valves.

Scott

ol38y
6th June 2009, 06:08
Is that the tail I shipped you?

Sorry, about the failure Larry..........138 is a nice number for that motor.

Give me a call sometime and we will get together at El Mirage.......I will be running the Busa again.........let me know when you are ready to buy my 1350motor. It just needs a balance job and probably a refresh on the valves.

Scott

Yeah, it's the one you picked up from Kent... Maybe that's why it's a little big in the seat...:sofa

So how's the little kidlet?

See ya at Elmo...:smoke

rocketmangb
16th June 2009, 03:51
Well i missed the trip cause momma wasnt feeling well and i got called out of town

i am now in Eureka,Ca.after jumping a plane @ 6 am and plenty whipped !

Howd that 1250 run Larry ?

ol38y
16th June 2009, 16:10
It was nothing to write home about. 150 in 4th gear. The track was pretty loose in the middle. A rider went down on a bagger. He had handeling problems before and made some changes but to no avail it seems. The record was bumped to 170 but the engine hasn't been certified yet. I have no reason to think it won't certify though. Had a strong tail wind in the AM and the track was much better. Of the second runs that were made I didn't see anyone that bettered their times.

Still waiting to hear from S+S. A thanks again to Dan for proviving the documentation needed.

isiahstites
16th June 2009, 17:04
What happened to fifth gear Larry? It was good to see ou again.

Scott

ol38y
16th June 2009, 17:32
What happened to fifth gear Larry? It was good to see ou again.

Scott

I knew somebody would ask...:doh for some reason I had trouble getting 4th gear and it messed up my concentration. My time and rpm's match 4th gear so I think that's what happened. Good to see you also. You gonna make July? We'll see if Noonan wears his leathers all day then...

isiahstites
16th June 2009, 18:18
I knew somebody would ask...:doh for some reason I had trouble getting 4th gear and it messed up my concentration. My time and rpm's match 4th gear so I think that's what happened. Good to see you also. You gonna make July? We'll see if Noonan wears his leathers all day then...

Larry - You need to replace that stock detent plate....I had the same problem last year and it cost me quite a few mph on each run until I fixed it....I have some pretty good pictures in my build thread.

Scott

ol38y
16th June 2009, 18:48
Larry - You need to replace that stock detent plate....I had the same problem last year and it cost me quite a few mph on each run until I fixed it....I have some pretty good pictures in my build thread.

Scott

Hmmm, I don't remember hearing you replaced the detent plate. I'll check your build pics. Thanks

isiahstites
16th June 2009, 19:16
Hmmm, I don't remember hearing you replaced the detent plate. I'll check your build pics. Thanks

The part numbers should be in the build thread as well. Make sure replace all of the little springd to.....I think everything cost me about ten bucks and made all the difference in the world. The new plate part number has an A at end I believe and it has steeper pockets for a more solid shift into the next gear.

Scott

ol38y
11th July 2009, 16:00
That is a quote from the powers that be at S+S. Finally. I'll be emailing them a parts list today and see how fast they respond. With just 6 weeks till the Bub Meet, time is of the essence.

I wanted to give S+S a chance to respond before relaying what happened to the motor. On the second to last planned pull on the dyno the motor let go at 7000 rpm. Fortunately it wasn't with a big bang. More of a pffftt. We pulled the cam cover off at the dyno shop and found a broken pinion shaft. Damn. Brought the bike back home for a complete tear down. It tagged an intake valve on the rear and an exhaust on the front when the pinion shaft broke. Fortunately nothing else in the heads was damaged. The "new" pistons were scored pretty bad from all the metal floating around in the bottom end. There was lots and lots of metal in the crankcase and oil cavity. Metal in the oil pump as well. We pressed the crank out of the left case and found the main culprit. The timken bearing on the sprocket side was fried to say the least. So, when S+S put the cases together they either set it up too tight or the bearing was bad to begin with. When the timken bearing went it allowed the crank to walk and that took out the pinion shaft. Last but not least, the bearing race in the left side case is gaulded. The cases should be shipped back to S+S to fix Monday provided they can fix them in a timely manner.

While it did take them some time to respond, S+S is stepping up to try and make this right. I thank them for that, we just need to grab another gear. We need to leave for Bonneville Aug. 28th.

isiahstites
11th July 2009, 16:15
While it did take them some time to respond, S+S is stepping up to try and make this right. I thank them for that, we just need to grab another gear. We need to leave for Bonneville Aug. 28th.

It is going to be tight Larry! I hope you can make it to this year's event.

Scott

ol38y
15th July 2009, 04:55

Scott

Yeah it will Scott but S+S assures me they will step up. The cases and all the broken parts were overnited to S+S today. They promise me I will have the cases and a box of new parts back the middle of next week. The cases were one of the things that had me concerned as far as time goes. I plan to have the pinion shaft, sprocket shaft, valve springs, pushrods and maybe a few other things cryo'd. This is the other thing that could be an issue time wise. While it only takes maybe 2 days for the process, they want a full basket when they start.

Now at least I can start pulling the 1250 with a little hope that I will have another motor to put back in for Bub Meet. Although I did have an inquiry this weekend by someone who wanted me to break in their motors for them. Now if I can find someone who wants me to test their diesel and evaluate their campsites I'm set...:p

Larry

ol38y
1st December 2009, 17:32

Scott

Go get sumpin to drink cuz, this is a long one. :p

I guess it's time to let everyone in on how things went getting the new cases from S+S. What a nightmare. After over 5 months and getting passed on to 4 or 5 different people I finally got my replacement cases from S+S. When we finally talked to the guy in the machine shop that got it done we were told, " Ya know we might have to make 2 sets of cases to get one good one". "These are pretty technical cases" :doh I'm pretty sure there's a CNC machine in there shop that has all the specs already loaded for this application but what do I know. We were then promised the cases in 2 weeks if they only had to make 1 set. Three weeks if they had to make 2 sets. :frownthre Well, a month later we had a set of cases. We already had the pinion shaft and sprocket shafts back from Cryo and at the crank guys. We determined what bearing we needed for the pinion shaft and called the crank guy, from here on to be called Ed. Well no answer at Ed's. Left numerous messages to no avail. Finally got the crank back a month later. He said his mother died and left no will and he was busy with probate. Okay, but all day. Ed has been known as Fast Ed because he gets stuff out fast. I think I'll call him Mr. Ed.
Finally got the bottom end together the weekend before the last race at El Mirage. On Sat. we pulled the little motor out and installed the bottom end of the big motor and started assembeling the motor. Out in the shop till about 9 Sat and Sun. Worked on it after work as well Mon and Tues. Thanks to the Veterans Day holiday I had Wed. to work on the bike. About noon Wed. we were installing a new programable, multi spark ignition in the motor. While setting the initial timing the ign. started smoking out the nose cone. :doh I guess that's why the guy told me, "If that one fails come back and I'll give you another one". So, take that module out and install the Crane ign..Got all the oil and vent lines run and ready to fire Wed about 3 pm. :clap
Dayum, it's alive. Sounds good, no leaks, good oil pressure. The oil pressure regulator is working good, no oil leaks. We're ready to race.
Worked thurs. and loaded up Fri. for El Mirage.
Made it to El Mirage about 2pm and headed over to tech. No problems there since we've been there 4 other times this year with the little motor. We're ready to race and out starting number is 45. Made a clean run about 9am. but it kinda layed there when I hit 5th. Hmmm, checked the timing and it was way off for some reason. Set it back to 28-30 and ready to run again. The second run wasn't much better, 160. After going thru the lights I barely let off the gas cuz the dirt can be slippery and it picked up speed. My first thought was I got hit with a gust of wind. :doh No, it's lean. Now the search is on for a 170 main jet for a thunder jet. None to be had, not many Harley guys this weekend. OK, I have drills. :rolleyes: A 1/16 drill fits in a 160 jet. Hmmm, The next drill is a 5/64, 1/64 larger. Let's try that... Now we have a pretty good headwind but, we'll at least get a jetting run in. About 5 from the front we started the bike to warm it up. Sounds good, shut it off. Turn off the gas till we're up front. Uhhh, why is my hand wet? The danged tank sprung a leak. Couldn't get it to stop so we pulled outta line.
So, over the winter I'll be stockpiling jets, a new ign. and some rear sprockets. May is a long way away but, at least we got to try the new motor. Really, it ran flawlessly, just down to the fine tuning. For that I am happy. So, how was your summer? :smoke

BWP 5p
3rd December 2009, 19:13
The joys of building your own stuff and the trials of the racing world!:laugh:laugh:laugh:laugh:laugh

At least you got some work done, so next spring you'll be ready!:clap:clap

ol38y
26th December 2009, 00:43
BWP, yeah, I'm very familiar with the trials and tribulations in the racing world...:rolleyes:

I did just this week score most of a new ignition for the sporty. Thanks to Dynatec, I now have a brand new Dyna 4000 ign. module, wiring harness and 4 prong coil for next year. :clap:clap The only thing left is the nose cone pickup, more thunderjets and a couple sprockets.

Merry Christmas to all... :smoke

rocketmangb
26th December 2009, 01:15
Well next year maybe i can make a couple meets and give you a hand !

Merry Christmas

ol38y
26th December 2009, 01:38
Well next year maybe i can make a couple meets and give you a hand !

Merry Christmas

You're always welcome.

ol38y
20th August 2010, 21:10
I didn't realize it's been so long since I've updated here. I did finally get everything sorted out and have made a couple runs at El Mirage here locally. In May we made a 153 mph pass but were pretty lean. In July we made a 160 mph pass but were pretty rich...:doh Sooo, I ordered a data logger from Daytona Sensors and have it all hooked for Bonneville. I wanted to make another run at EM to try and get the jetting down but just haven't had time. I guess we'll have to tune it on the great white dyno. We'll be leaving on the 27th and set up pits and tech on the 28th. I am soooooo ready.

Shameless plug...:frownthre anybody who wants to make a donation feel free to PM me...:smoke

davju266
30th August 2010, 20:29
a quick rundown on our first day of racing. after the riders meeting we got in staging and were sent down to the start in about 1/2 hr.. The first run went pretty well. Ran 160.... Just 1.4 mph off of Susans record. :banana Downloaded the data logger and dropped a jet size. Made anotther pass about 3:00. Ran 161.5.. 1/10 mph over Susans record. Head to impound. By the time I got out of impound the wind had come up pretty good. Had 20 mph gusts so couldn't back up the run. making some changes and going out in the am to try again. Gotta run...

posted by ol38y

BWP 5p
31st August 2010, 06:28
BE safe.....and Go Fast!!!!:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap
Sounds like you're on the the cusp of a record!:clap:clap

isiahstites
2nd September 2010, 23:04
Talked to Larry yesterday and it sounds like they bumped Susans record .8 or .9 mph. Not sure how today went, good job bro!

Scott

BWP 5p
3rd September 2010, 06:45
Talked to Larry yesterday and it sounds like they bumped Susans record .8 or .9 mph. Not sure how today went, good job bro!

Scott

:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap
Thanks for the update Scott:clap

isiahstites
3rd September 2010, 07:52
Thanks for the update Scott:clap

I know he had a top speed of 163 or 164 which is several MPH over the record,, but he had a strong head wind on the the return run.

aswracing
3rd September 2010, 08:31
BIG congratulations to Larry for taking that record!!! He worked hard for it, he deserves it!

ol38y
4th September 2010, 09:52
BIG congratulations to Larry for taking that record!!! He worked hard for it, he deserves it!

Thanks Aaron, I appreciate it.

Let me also say Aaron showed his true self on the last day of the meet. I walked into his pits to ask Aaron a question while they were loading up. Aarons first instinct was to extend his hand to shake mine and congratulate me. Next, was to call Susan over to shake my hand as well. You two are a class act and I look forward to racing with you again next year.

ol38y
5th September 2010, 14:25
I'll begin with pics of my offerings to the Gods od Speed...

http://xlforum.net/photopost/data/500/resized8.jpg

http://xlforum.net/photopost/data/500/resize3.jpg

As many of you may know, the second day was pretty much a rain out. We made a jetting change and a timing change to be ready first thing Tuesday AM. So much for being ready. We had to wait on the fuel guy to get there at 8am to fuel and seal our tank... After that we got in the long line for pre-staging. Made a run at 11:26 am. Went 159.785. The motor didn't like the timing change and nosed over in the middle of the timed mile. We decided part of the nosing over was the float bowl running out of fuel.

We changed the tank vent to push air into the tank while running down the track. Then made ready for Wed. am. Our first run of the am was,163.556 mph. "Take it to impound" . The motor still nosed over but not till the end of the mile. Anytime you qualify for a record you must go immediately to impound for the officials to check your bike is legal and record your qualifying run. Then we left impound for the opposite end of the mountain course. With the AMA if you make a qualifing run, your backup run must be on the same course in the opposite direction. The return run was a little breezy and it nosed over at about the 3/4 and only ran 160.833. Still enough to bump the record. Back to impound. The backup run was recorded and the motor sealed since I wanted to try and bump the record more.

I went to town and bought an electric fuel pump to try and cure the nosing over problems. We spent the rest of the day installing the fuel pump. We topped off with fuel so we were ready to go for the am.

Windy,windy,windy again. I was hoping the fuel pump would allow me to bump the record to at least 165. I was supposed to go out right after Susan Wilson but was shut down just as I started the motor. We then waited for a streamliner that never came. Then waited for 10 bikes to run the long course. Then waited for 4 or 5 bikes to do return runs... Finally about an hour after Susan ran we ran. The bike seemed to like another timing change and was taching 6900 rpm going into the mile. Pulled up to 7000 rpm and clink-poof. I was just moving my hand up to the fork tubes when something broke. Reach down quickley and pull the clutch and coast to the side. Then we got a tow to impound.

My first thought was I hope there's enough of the front piston to measure the motor. I pulled off the rocker cover and saw a broken exhaust valve spring.. :doh This won't be pretty. The above pics tell the rest of the story.

All in all, we had a great time. The plan now is to have the motor ready for the May meet at El Mirage.

isiahstites
5th September 2010, 16:29
You ran it right to the edge and got the record!:clap\

Good job bro, after all the problems and hard work you deserve that record.

Scott

Dakin Engineering
5th September 2010, 18:08
Congrats and Well Done!

Sam

ol38y
5th September 2010, 20:45
You ran it right to the edge and got the record!:clap\

Good job bro, after all the problems and hard work you deserve that record.

Scott

Thanks Scott and Sam.

Now I have to see if I can figure out why the valve spring broke.

On a side note. My crew and the bike will be at the Kern County Fair. They have Vintage dirt track races there every year, along with a pro class. The promoter asked me to bring the bike to display it inside the entrance. So, if any sponsors are looking for me Sept. 25, that's where I'll be...:clap:clap

rottenralph
5th September 2010, 22:01
That looks expensive. I am glad you had fun and can have such a great attitude about a blow up like that. Can't even use the piston to hold parts.

NRHS Sales
5th September 2010, 22:14
ouch! I hope you can save that head for you know STDs are going to be hard to find if you need a replacement!!

ol38y
5th September 2010, 22:26
That looks expensive. I am glad you had fun and can have such a great attitude about a blow up like that. Can't even use the piston to hold parts.

It probably will get expensive, but I've gotten great help from R Neal Racing out here in Duarte,CA. The biggest concern I have is the exhaust valve guide. It's split on the combustion chamber side. Everything else is not a problem to fix. The rod end doesn't have a scratch on it but I'll probably magnaflux it anyway. I'm shooting for the May El Mirage meet now.

I also have a GSXR 250 I might play with in the mean time. A 250 4 cylinder.:doh

55chevr
15th September 2010, 20:17
Larry ... that head is hurt bad ... may be mortal ... but who knows with some welding and machining ... No STD-s around ... Joe

ol38y
15th September 2010, 20:43
Larry ... that head is hurt bad ... may be mortal ... but who knows with some welding and machining ... No STD-s around ... Joe

Joe, I don't think it's terminal but it will be in intensive care for a bit. I'm still in contact with a couple of the guys from STD. The worst part , I think, will be replacing the exhaust valve guide. But, what the h***, it's only money. :laugh:doh

55chevr
16th September 2010, 18:49
I had a lot of hours into a Z1 head that ate a valve like that in one hole ... we welded and worked it ... used it again ... hopes it works for you ...

Joe

alvycolt45
16th September 2010, 19:27
Thanks for the pics and updates.

ol38y
18th September 2010, 11:14
Thanks for the pics and updates.

I wish I'd known you were working at the Enola Gay. I would've introduced myself. Had a couple burgers there, they were d#** good. :smoke

ol38y
1st October 2010, 19:57
http://xlforum.net/photopost/data/500/medium/sour_dough_t.jpg

http://www.morgansandphillips.net/shopmen.html

Sour Dough Racing T-shirts are now available on-line. Morgans and Phillips have agreed to make t-shirts for our crew and make them available on-line. For every T sold they donate $10 to the team. If you've read any of this thread you know we broke a valve spring this year but still managed to make it home with a record. Consequently there is a major rebuild to do this winter. Thanks for looking and double thanks for your t-shirt purchases. :tour

Larry

alvycolt45
1st October 2010, 22:54
I wish I'd known you were working at the Enola Gay. I would've introduced myself. Had a couple burgers there, they were d#** good. :smoke

If you had a couple burgers there then I probably took your money. I'll pass along your compliments to the cooks and food servers.

I'll be there again next week for the SCTA World Finals and next year.

ol38y
25th October 2010, 21:36
Just a quick update...

Craig, the guy who used to do all the head work for STD looked at my head yesterday. He said, "Oh, that's easy". So, the heads are being repaired as we speak.

Shipped the cyls. off to Axtell, the front one had some dings, where they'll determine if it's cheaper to make new cyls. or sleeve mine...

Talked to Dan Baisley today, for quite a while, he said the valve springs I'm using don't like being frozen. He said it makes them brittle... :doh No arguement here. I'm sending him the valves from the rear cyl. so he can see how he set them up. He has some new tricks he's using and we're not sure if my valves were done the new way or the old.

Shipped the good rear piston along with the build sheet off to Snake at CP Pistons so they can get started making a new set of pistons.

Next, I need to get off my bu** and tear the bottom end apart so I can put a few more things in the freezer. Once that's done I'll have time to sit down and come up with a few things to get another 5 mph out of the old girl...:smoke

NRHS Sales
26th October 2010, 10:33
Larry,
I am thinking of building a 1350 as well for next year so watch out!!!

maru
13th December 2010, 17:59
Any updates Larry?

ol38y
15th December 2010, 08:04
Any updates Larry?

Well, let's see. Making some progress on the top end. Axtell has the cyls. and said it would be cheapest to bore and sleeve my cyls.. We're going to bore about .020 smaller this time to leave room for a clean-up bore later if needed.

Sent Baisley the valves from the rear head. The rear intake looked like it was sandblasted when the front let go. So, have the new valves back from Dan. He sure is a pleasure to work with and a wealth of information.

Craig has the heads to repair them. They should be back from the welder by now. Then Craig can machine the heads for the new valve seats and install the guides. Next would be grinding the chambers. Also have new Manley valve springs, not gonna Cryo them this time. I'm thinking about having an extra set to take to Bville next year.

Still waiting to hear from Snake at CP. He has the old rear piston, just haven't heard back from him.

Since we got rained out today I should go out and pull the bottom end down so I can mag the rods. Then call Carrillo and see if they have a problem with Cryoing them.

So, it's a good thing we still have 5 mos till EM...:tour

maru
17th December 2010, 16:58
Did you ever sell those pistons you had on ebay?

ol38y
18th December 2010, 09:06
Did you ever sell those pistons you had on ebay?

I sold 1 set to a guy in France. Still have 1 set. Ya know anybody looking?

maru
18th December 2010, 12:01
Well kind of. I need them like another hole in my head, but I have been eyeballing them. I have a 90 inch Buell but they won't fit my cylinders and I am currently running flat tops so they won't even work with my heads. Despite that I have been considering collecting parts for another build. I would go with an 88 next time and probably not go with flat tops. Are they 30 degree squish bands? I see you are running Carrillo's, are the wrist pin area currently clearanced for the Carrillo's? What size valve pockets? Steve

ol38y
18th December 2010, 20:58
Maru, pm me with your email and I'll email you the spec sheet. I don't think these were machined for carillos but I'll measure them.

maru
19th December 2010, 12:49
PM sent. Steve

ol38y
30th January 2011, 02:53
Well, things are moving along. A slight change in plans with the cyls. Axtell was going to hard chrome the old cyls., but the chrome won't stand up to the ring pressure. They then contacted LA Sleeve about making sleeves. With the cost of the sleeves it came out cheaper to make new cyls. Axtell stepped up to the plate and gave me a super price on the new cyls. :banana

Moving on to the heads. After many conversations with Dan Baisley he offered to install the new seats and valve guides. Dan will also do the valve job and set up the valves for the rockers. They will be shipped to Dan the first of next week. :banana:banana

Snake and Harley at CP Pistons have also been a big help. The new pistons will come off the production line Tues. They also designed a new ring package that I have to learn more about before I can tell you what it is... :doh

Well , what else? The rods mag'd OK. Sending a box of stuff Mon. to Oregon to the Cryo shop. Need to get with Raymond at Dyna next week to update the ignition...

Well, that's about it for now... :smoke

BWP 5p
30th January 2011, 13:38
Progress!:clap:clap:clap

ol38y
5th February 2011, 16:49
WTH, Monday afternoon I shipped about $1000 worth of parts to the Cryo guy in WA. They were to be delivered by end of day Thurs. They arrived in Portland at 8:12 PM Wed and haven't been heard from since. :doh :censor After spending over an hour waiting on the phone with UPS a trace/search has been started. :frownthre :censor Thank God that these parts are replaceable. The parts I'm shipping today are not replaceable so they better get there...:rolleyes:

rocketmangb
5th February 2011, 17:21
Whens the first meet at Elmer's Garage ?

ol38y
5th February 2011, 17:54
May 14-15. There is also a clean up day on May 7. I'll be there but probably won't run. I don't want to wear the motor out before Bville. When I tore it down this winter it had .015 clearence between the piston and cyls.. I want to take a fresh motor to Bville this year.

rocketmangb
5th February 2011, 19:17
May 14-15. There is also a clean up day on May 7. I'll be there but probably won't run. I don't want to wear the motor out before Bville. When I tore it down this winter it had .015 clearence between the piston and cyls.. I want to take a fresh motor to Bville this year.

15 Thousandth's ?

WTF ?

I'm suprised they werent swapping holes !

Did u run a leak down ?

ol38y
6th February 2011, 01:10
They were the same pistons that were in it when the crank bearing went and broke the pinion shaft. I knew there were issues, just not that much.

NRHS Sales
6th February 2011, 20:27
Larry,
We saw much the same thing with our Blast 2 years ago. The high heat expands the cylinders and they just do not go back when they cool.

BWP 5p
8th February 2011, 23:15
Larry,
We saw much the same thing with our Blast 2 years ago. The high heat expands the cylinders and they just do not go back when they cool.

WOW!
If that's the case with an iron cylinder, is there really any advantage to them then Dan? Is that just on a Bonny motor that's getting run long and hard?

Does an aluminum cylinder react the same way?

NRHS Sales
8th February 2011, 23:21
My experience was with a stock 1200 cylinder ( thin iron liner in an aluminum cylinder) bored .015 over. Last year we went to an all cast iron cylinder and had zero problems with the cylinders growing. So yes there is a huge advantage with using an all cast iron cylinder when racing at Bonneville.

Larry was using an iron lined aluminum cylinder in his bike.

BWP 5p
9th February 2011, 16:07
My experience was with a stock 1200 cylinder ( thin iron liner in an aluminum cylinder) bored .015 over. ....... Last year we went
Larry was using an iron lined aluminum cylinder in his bike.

AHH..... That explains it! :):)
Thanks Dan:clap

sportsterpaul
9th February 2011, 16:12
AHH..... That explains it! :):)
Thanks Dan:clap

Bruce: You planning on getting out there and crawling in behind your fairing for some high speed runs?:laugh:laugh:laugh:laugh:laugh Oh, make sure to change out your winter air as well!!!:shhhh

ol38y
10th February 2011, 15:41
I guess first I need to make a correction. :doh We had .0051 clearance. Gotta remember how to read a mic. :doh

Yes, cyl. expansion can be an issue with thin liners. Drag racers ran into that issue a while back. They corrected it by increasing the thickness of the liners. That's not an issue with mine as the liners are VERY thick.

The new pistons from CP should have been picked up yesterday. :clap Many thanks to Harley and Snake at CP Pistons for their extra effort on my behalf.

The pistons along with the heads will be shipped today to WA to the cryo guy. When he's done he'll ship the heads and valves to Dan Baisley to finish the heads.

The Axtell cyls should be done in a couple weeks and they'll go to WA as well. So, things are moving along. :smoke

rocketmangb
10th February 2011, 16:33
.005 doesnt seem awful for a forged piston

What should it be ? .003 ?

How bad did it leak down ?

ol38y
10th February 2011, 16:57
No, that's not bad considering it's the same set of pistons that were in it when the crank bearing went cuz the timken bearing was set up too tight. A lot of metal went thru the system from that. Yeah, .003 is what were going for this time, maybe .0025. Never did a leak down cuz I knew there were issues... :smoke

Going to go with single fire this year also. Had dual fire before cuz the 4000 Dyna system was given to me.

ol38y
20th February 2011, 18:35
Well, a few more bits and pieces coming together. I picked up another ZR rated 16" rear tire the other day. It's just for a spare but the ZR tires are hard to come by in 16". CP shipped the new pistons to the cryo guy in WA. Burn's Stainless is building me a new custom 2into1 collector , gratis, as soon as I get them all the engine specs. The tins are at a buddys house getting prep'd for paint. New paint job this year, Performance Red. Dan Baisley should be getting started on my heads next week. Also working on a deal for some ceramic bearings for the wheels. That's all for now. Time for the Daytona 500, go Rousch! :clap

maru
26th February 2011, 02:29
Hi Larry, who makes the ZR rated tires in 16 inch? I have a buddy with a Turbo Bagger and he plans to run it at the Speed trials in Maine this year. PS I got the new gunfighter seat pic. Steve

ol38y
1st March 2011, 15:51
Sending email...

ol38y
24th March 2011, 19:53
Hey all. I'm in the process of making up a spare rear wheel. I have another new ZR rated tire but I'm looking for a stock rear 9 spoke mag wheel in good shape and true. I don't need the bearings but I do need the bearing spacers. I have a spoke wheel I'll trade someone or maybe we can find something else to trade. TYIA

ol38y
25th March 2011, 04:22
:doh OK, ya want the good news first or the bad news... Well, in the process of putting the crank back together we found the male rod bent. Never noticed it before when the crank was together. So, called CP/Carillo. The shop said, no problem, we straighten them all the time... OK Well, it still didn't set too well with me. So today we called down there again and talked to Barry. He said here, let me have you talk to Jim. Turns out Jim was with old man Carillo when he started the biz. He says, "son, don't worry about it, we straighten them all the time. In fact bring both rods down and we'll straingten and mag and service both rods. No big deal."

So, the front rod bent when the valve head broke off and wouldn't fit in the combustion chamber...lol It bent about .030, 1 1/2" down from the wrist pin.

Got most of the parts back from Cryo. Dan Baisley is still workin the heads and the cyls. should be done at Axtells this week. Then they both will be off to cryo and we're off... :banana

maru
25th March 2011, 15:14
Did you say you have a sponsor that is supplying the fancy ceramic bearings? Expensive but i have heard good things about them. They would make sense in your situation. Back in the early fifties the Factory Norton team used to wash the grease from the wheel bearings and replace it with light oil in an effort to reduce drag. Production Roadracers would take off brand new o-ring chains and replace them with non o-ring chains to reduce drag. You could feel the difference just pushing them across the shop floor. Now chain makers claim comparable drag to a non o-ring, but i don't believe it. Steve

BWP 5p
25th March 2011, 15:45
So, the front rod bent when the valve head broke off and wouldn't fit in the combustion chamber...lol It bent about .030, 1 1/2" down from the wrist pin.

Man.....you didn't mess around when you blew it up!:doh:laugh
I guess the good news is that the rod can be straightened.....and by Very good folks!:clap:clap:clap
Doesn't surprise me......you'd be amazed at how far a forged crank can be moved to straighten it!:shhhh:shhhh

ol38y
25th March 2011, 18:06
Man.....you didn't mess around when you blew it up!:doh:laugh
I guess the good news is that the rod can be straightened.....and by Very good folks!:clap:clap:clap
Doesn't surprise me......you'd be amazed at how far a forged crank can be moved to straighten it!:shhhh:shhhh

Yeah, I was kinda leary at first but after talking to them more at length I've kinda come around. It's their product and they know what they can do with it. :smoke

Did you say you have a sponsor that is supplying the fancy ceramic bearings? Expensive but i have heard good things about them. They would make sense in your situation. Back in the early fifties the Factory Norton team used to wash the grease from the wheel bearings and replace it with light oil in an effort to reduce drag. Production Roadracers would take off brand new o-ring chains and replace them with non o-ring chains to reduce drag. You could feel the difference just pushing them across the shop floor. Now chain makers claim comparable drag to a non o-ring, but i don't believe it. Steve

Yeah Steve I did. That's one of the reasons I want to build up another rear wheel. I'll put the ceramic bearings in the new wheel with the new ZR tire and keep the other one as a spare. If I knock the bearings out of the other wheel I'll ruin them anyway. These ZR tires are hard to come by so this works out well.

Again, if anyone has a straight 16" mag they want to get rid of hit me up... Moving along...:tour:tour:tour

BWP 5p
25th March 2011, 19:33
Again, if anyone has a straight 16" mag they want to get rid of hit me up... Moving along...:tour:tour:tour

I sure would send you one if I had it. I'll keep an ear open!:):)

ol38y
29th April 2011, 02:01
Well, I guess I'll go in order. The bad news is the male rod, in the engine..., is fubar. Bent and twisted. The good news, after some whining and passing along my credit card info., :doh I'll have a new rod in 3 weeks.

The cyls. came in from Axtell's last week. Just have to hone them to fit the new pistons. :smoke

Dan Baisley said he should have the heads done by the end of the week. He only has matching the ports left to do. He'll need my credit card info also... :doh

OK, I'm gonna need a little help here. I believe moco changed the sporty rear axel to 1" in '00. What I need to know is, did they change the front axle size, when did they change it, what size did they change it to, and will it fit in the forks from my '95 sporty. I know I need different bearings, I have those. What I need to do is come up with a 20 mm axle. My 3/4" axle is 19.06mm so I need a larger diameter axle I can turn down to 20mm.

Oh, I have also come up with another rear wheel. That's it for now I guess. Now go ride... :p

ol38y
29th April 2011, 02:41
Well, an online search tells me thaT THE '05 & '06 SPORTYS HAD 1" AXLES. If that is correct, does anyone know if the end that clamps into the lower is the same size? Is the nut end the same size as a 3/4" axle? I could probably turn the 1" axle down to the sizes I needed while I'm turning it down to 20mm. Thanks all.

Just got my FIM packet. Dayum, them pesky frenchman get expensive...

rocketmangb
29th April 2011, 07:50
Reckon the bike aint making it to El Mirage ?

Horace18
29th April 2011, 13:07
Well, an online search tells me thaT THE '05 & '06 SPORTYS HAD 1" AXLES. If that is correct, does anyone know if the end that clamps into the lower is the same size? Is the nut end the same size as a 3/4" axle? I could probably turn the 1" axle down to the sizes I needed while I'm turning it down to 20mm. Thanks all.

Just got my FIM packet. Dayum, them pesky frenchman get expensive...

Are you sure the front axle went to 1" in 05? I recall the rear axle went to 1", maybe that was later :dunno

I have an 07 and 04, so I'll check out the difference over the weekend and get back to you.

BWP 5p
29th April 2011, 13:24
Larry.........just remember........it's only money!:doh:laugh:laugh:rolleyes::rolleyes:

As far as that axle......I'm with Horace.......I can't prove it because I have nothing to compare to, but I thought the rear axle was the only change in 2005. Maybe someone that can prove it will jump on here.

Bruce

ol38y
30th April 2011, 02:32
You funny guy Bruce... :p LOL

Horace & Bruce. Like i said, it was an internet posting, so it has to be true, right... :laugh:laugh:laugh I'll likely have to buy an axle kit with spacers as well. Any light you could shed on this would be greatly appreciated Horace.

rocketman, I wasn't planning on the bike being at EM untill after Bville. I was planning on being there with my leathers anyway. But, that has changed also. just started a HIWAY JOB THAT IS 30 DAYS BEHIND BEFORE IT EVEN STARTED. DAMN CAP LOCK... Working 6 10's for a while so no EM for me either...

Rico 05R
30th April 2011, 02:51
The rear axle was changed from 3/4 to 1 inch in 2005. The front axle remained 3/4.

Horace18
1st May 2011, 13:31
I checked the front axle on the 07 today.It has a larger axle protrusion at the clamp on the non-brake side. So it must have changed some time after 05. I didn't measure to see what diameter it was, but I'd be surprised if the moco did anything metric.

ol38y
8th May 2011, 17:51
Thanks Horace. It looks like I'll just make a new axle to fit 20mm.

Dakin Engineering
9th June 2011, 22:28
Hang in there.

"half the fun is the journey."

said the fool that stayed home.

HAHAHAhAHHAAHAHAHHAHAAHAAAHAHAHAHAAAA

Sam

maru
12th June 2011, 21:07
Love the added info about that truism coming from a guy that skipped the journey. i laughed my ... off. Steve

ol38y
23rd July 2011, 02:51
Just a quick post to say that everything is coming together very well. Just finished a new exhaust system, new ignition system and have fresh paint for this year. Should have it fired up by Wed of next week and on the dyno the following Sat..

I've been working 60+ hrs a week since the 1st of May so when I take my week off before Bville I'll try and post some pics of the new set up.

To all, ride hard, be safe. :tour

BWP 5p
23rd July 2011, 04:48

Pics.....we want Pics Larry!:laugh:laugh

maru
23rd July 2011, 06:49
Can not wait to see what you have come up with.

ol38y
28th July 2011, 02:07
She's makin noise... :banana:banana:banana:banana:banana:banana:banana:
:banadanc:banadanc:banadanc:banadanc:banadanc:bana danc:banadanc

shotgun46
28th July 2011, 02:16
She's makin noise... :banana:banana:banana:banana:banana:banana:banana:
:banadanc:banadanc:banadanc:banadanc:banadanc:bana danc:banadanc

:banana :banana :banana :banana :banana :banana :banana :banana :banana

Dakin Engineering
28th July 2011, 03:00
YouTube, PLEASE!

Sam

ol38y
29th July 2011, 00:55
Posting youtube videos is way above my capabilities but I'll try and have some pics after the weekend... :)

rocketmangb
29th July 2011, 01:26
You aint doin a HWY Job for them BOZO'S at CalTrans are ya ?

Dakin Engineering
29th July 2011, 01:53
While we're waiting for pics....

Head over to Summit Racing and fill out the Save Bonneville lettter. PLEASE!

Hope you don't mind my mini-jack,
Sam

ol38y
29th July 2011, 02:15
Couldn't find it Sam. Gotta link? http://www.landracing.com/forum/index.php/topic,10092.msg165387/topicseen.html#new

Here's a link to a thread on another forum with some other suggestions also. Please take a minute to copy n paste an email to BLM. Thanks

Dakin Engineering
29th July 2011, 05:07
Hope this works....
Send Your Letter Supporting the Salt Flats

Dear Fellow Enthusiast,

Once again, Summit Racing Equipment is reaching out to motorsports enthusiasts - helping to raise awareness and seeking your support on the issues affecting our industry, hobby, and passion.

Below is a letter addressed to the Bureau of Land Management asking for its immediate support in stopping the destruction of the Bonneville Salt Flats in Utah - a site of immense historic value where land speed records have been attempted, and set. Originally 96,000 acres, the Salt Flats have shrunk to just 30,000 acres because of unchecked potash mining operations who have failed to replace the salt they've destroyed.

We ask that you take the time to either write your own letter, or copy the one below into an email, to help our government leaders understand the historic and intrinsic value of the Salt Flats, and of their responsibility to help preserve them. Please consider sending or emailing the following letter to the Bureau of Land Management:

To: The Honorable Robert Abbey
Director, Bureau of Land Management
U.S. Department of the Interior

As a long-time automotive and motorsports enthusiast, I was particularly troubled to learn about what appears to be the deliberate destruction of Utah's Bonneville Salt Flats by potash mining operations.

The Bonneville Salt Flats are a national treasure, and have been an integral part of the American motorsports scene dating back to the first record land speed attempt there in 1914. The Salt Flats are a "National Landmark" and an "Area of Critical Environmental Concern" – both of which are designations that should trigger the Bureau of Land Management's immediate involvement.

Originally 96,000 acres, the Salt Flats are now a mere 30,000 acres. It's a travesty, and something has to be done. I ask that you do everything in your power to mitigate the damage being inflicted on the Salt Flats, including:

An Environmental Assessment that will require mining operators to implement a permanent salt-replenishment program, requiring that miners replenish mined salt at the same rate that it is removed.
A mandate that replenished salt be of the same, or better, quality than what is removed, and that the replenishment program occur over a period of several months to ensure that the salt is dispensed throughout the Salt Flats basin, and that the underground aquifer is replenished.
Preventing salt from being removed from the Bonneville Salt Flats region for commercial sale.
Action to make the program permanent and verifiable.
Please help motorsports enthusiasts protect these invaluable resources. Please save the Bonneville Salt Flats.

Thank you.

Emails should be sent to:
director@blm.gov
CC: to SEMA at stuartg@sema.org

Letters should be mailed to:
Bureau of Land Management
U.S. Department of the Interior
Attention: The Honorable Robert Abbey, Director
1849 C Street NW, Washington, D.C. 20240

Thank you again for your support!

ol38y
7th August 2011, 06:02
Well, the bikes pretty much ready. A little safety wiring and zip tieing. Still have to make a new fuel line. The new one will have #8 fittings on each end. Still doing some heat cycling to make sure the rings seat well. :smoke

I guess since I last posted pics I got a new computer. Don't have a photo resizer app. If anyone wants to volunteer to resize them send me your email...:p

3 more weeks :banana

Dakin Engineering
7th August 2011, 14:36
IrfanView is freeware and does resizing.
Correction for too light and too dark, too.
Lotsa other things I don't know how to use.
download dot com has it.

Sam

ol38y
8th August 2011, 01:13
http://xlforum.net/photopost/data/500/medium/2011_resize.jpg

Still have to put the numbers and decals on but, here she is...

alvycolt45
8th August 2011, 01:45
Looks great and fast!

NRHS Sales
8th August 2011, 18:50
Looks really good. Depending on how we do this year in the 1650 class i just might have to take it back down to 1350 to go after your record next year!!! ;)

Dakin Engineering
8th August 2011, 19:56
Now that's a good lookin bike!

Sam

aswracing
8th August 2011, 21:16
Looks great Larry. Best of luck to you.

maru
9th August 2011, 23:35
Larry, that looks badass! I love the new look, if looks have anything to do with speed, you have a winner. Is that a cut down XLCR seat? Is the ride height lower this time around or did it sit that low during your record run? Steve

ol38y
10th August 2011, 03:16
Thanks everyone. It's amazing what paint will do.

Steve, the seat in an extended XR seat pan. The ride height is the same. Just under power the seat pan sucks down to the tire.

BWP 5p
11th August 2011, 13:44
Looks great Larry. Best of luck to you.

:iagree:iagree:iagree
Go Fast...........and Be Safe!:clap:clap

55chevr
25th August 2011, 00:01
Larry ... see you at Bub-s ... unfortunately I will be afoot ... next year I have a surprise that I am going to build ... Joe

aswracing
1st September 2011, 00:06
Any Bub reports? How is Larry doing? Dan and Cil?

ol38y
1st September 2011, 18:40
Well, a very dissapointing Bub's Meet for us. The first run was a turn-out with what I think was an ignition issue. In the process of diagnosing and short runs behind the pits we broke a Baisley roller rocker. The pin that goes thru the fr. in. roller came out. Pulled the cover and the in. retainer and keepers were beat to he#%. Dan Baisley offered to overnite the parts if I wanted. Sooo, we did a leak down test and we have a bent intake valve also. We will try to have everything sorted out for the Nov. EM meet.

But, the wedding went off without a hitch! :p

rocketmangb
1st September 2011, 18:43
Well that Sucks !

55chevr
1st September 2011, 20:38
Larry ... congratulations on the wedding ... Joe

aswracing
1st September 2011, 21:31
Sorry to hear that Larry. Sometimes this stuff is hard. Keep at it.

Dakin Engineering
2nd September 2011, 00:12
Must be a helluva woman.
Too bad about the scoot.

Tip 'o the hat to you and yours,
Sam

BWP 5p
2nd September 2011, 00:24
Must be a helluva woman.
Too bad about the scoot.

Tip 'o the hat to you and yours,
Sam

No kidding.......Sorry......and Congrats!
All You guys are an inspiration to us common folk!:clap:clap

maru
2nd September 2011, 08:20
Congrats on the wedding thing Larry.

NRHS Sales
4th September 2011, 05:34
Was wondering what happened to you Larry. We broke 3 out of 4 bikes as well so don't feel too bad. This was the toughest year I have ever seen on bikes at Bubs!!

ol38y
29th April 2012, 17:48
Well, how about a little update. :clap

I got the motor all back together about a month ago. I rewired the handlebars and eliminated the starter button. Got a Spyke solenoid starter button off ebay for $29. I also got some custom made Smith Bros. adj. pushrods. I've been running SE TC pushrods and have been bending them. :doh Adjusted the pushrods and pushed the button...nuthin. WTH. After some diagnosing found the bendix working but not the starter motor. Being as I wouldn't have time to do much with it because of working 7 days a week I took it to my Dyno friend. Well, he got the starter fixed and made a dyno run last weekend. Results...

With a 4th gear pull from 4 to 6k she made 134hp.. :clap:clap:clap

So, there's nuthin left to do but a shakedown run at El Mirage on May 19-20 and Speedweek here we come.

My dyno guy also has a 120" sporty based STD motor in a T&O frame I'm going to ride at Elmo and Speedweek. :smoke This motor consistently dynos 186hp. :p

rocketmangb
29th April 2012, 17:53
PM me ur phone number
We are going try and make it to Elmers Garage

aswracing
1st May 2012, 18:00
With a 4th gear pull from 4 to 6k she made 134hp.. :clap:clap:clap

Woo-hoo, good stuff Larry! In 5th you might've got 137-138! That's damn good on 82".

So, there's nuthin left to do but a shakedown run at El Mirage on May 19-20 and Speedweek here we come.

Very cool, I'll be watching your progress. You gonna have to run in A? Still with the Sporty chassis? You should go break that SCTA A-PG record, I hear that guy is a real asshole ;)

If there's anything you need that I can help you with, just let me know.

55chevr
5th May 2012, 02:29
Larry,
I put the starter button on when I first built the sit on bike 2006. I like to keep wiring to a minimum. Less that can go wrong.

Joe

ol38y
5th May 2012, 05:15
Woo-hoo, good stuff Larry! In 5th you might've got 137-138! That's damn good on 82".

Very cool, I'll be watching your progress. You gonna have to run in A? Still with the Sporty chassis? You should go break that SCTA A-PG record, I hear that guy is a real asshole ;)

If there's anything you need that I can help you with, just let me know.

Yeah, I was happy with that number. And got the bike off the dyno before the dyno blew up... :doh The next bike the battery for the brake blew up while trying to start a kick only shovel... Got pretty exciting for a bit.

Yes, I'll be working on the A-PG record, same frame as before. I've learned a lot since I got into LSR, but one thing I learned a long time ago is don't believe everything you hear... :rolleyes:

I appreciate the offer Aaron. You may regret it... :p

Hey Joe, I'd considered the button before but was too cheap... hahaha. What are your plans for this year?

55chevr
5th May 2012, 14:19
Larry - I am sticking with 1000cc engines ... I also started playing with a Kawasaki ZX10. Building a frame from scratch - then who knows I may build a new frame for the Buell engine.

Joe

ol38y
6th May 2012, 16:08
Larry - I am sticking with 1000cc engines ... I also started playing with a Kawasaki ZX10. Building a frame from scratch - then who knows I may build a new frame for the Buell engine.

Joe

Goin over to the dark side eh. Well, we need build pics for the Kawi. Time for you to start another thread. :D

55chevr
7th May 2012, 03:29
Larry - too many irons in the fire but I am building a frame. Maybe for my nephew to ride.

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd166/55chevr/P4040472.jpg

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd166/55chevr/P4040473.jpg

ol38y
21st May 2012, 04:17
Well, just got back from a little test and tune at Elmo. All in all it went well and gathered some good info.

Made the first run at 12:32 pm, temp. 82.9F, DA: 5046ft with a 10mph wind from the ESE. Which is pretty much a head wind. The track was the worst I've seen it since '06. Being as I had to wait for everyone else who ran last year to run before I could, the track was terrible. About 3/4 track I went thru a big wow, depression, that completely unloaded the suspension when I came out. The front end got pretty light as well. After that the track looked to have golf ball size clods in about a 1 sf pattern. Had quite a bit of wheel spin all the way down the track. Went thru the lights @ 7000rpm spinning the tire. That rpm should have been a high 160's pass. As usual they didn't announce my run over the radio. 158.313 pass. Take away the 10mph headwind and that's 168... :p

Data logger showed a 13.5-1 AFR. Plugs looked good. Now to make a plan... :smoke Added 10 to the thunder jet and put in new plugs. OK, they're going to shut down racing at exactly 3:00, not 3:01. So, at 2:45 we strode over to get in line. Knowing full well we wouldn't get to run. Darn, they shut down when we were 3 from the front. :doh OK, " we'll take your number and come back in the AM and get back in line". :banana

Pulled in line @ 7:00 as instructed. The 3 other guys in front of me were late. " Go ahead and pull up, those other guys are late"... Well, if you insist. :laugh The bike started a little hard but finally took off fine. The first vehicle down the track was me... :clap:clap:clap The track was great but the bike wouldn't pull 5th gear... WTH.

Data logger showed 13.0-1 AFR. Hmmmmm. OK, pull the plugs. Damn, both rear plugs had grenaded. We went back and looked at the log and saw where the first plug gave up high in 4th gear. The other one gave up in the beginning of 5th. OK, feel better now.

So, all in all we got some good info and 2 good shakedown runs. Gonna do a leak down test and a bore scope on the rear cyl just to be safe. Oh yeah, gonna build a ballast box for Bville... :rolleyes:

JasonSarratt
16th August 2012, 17:37
Just got of the phone with OL38Y... called me as he was headed to impound at Speed Week.

#591 170mph 1/4 169mph to finish... It appears there is new braggin rights for him!

He had a good run but said it started to lay over towards the end so he's gonna make
some alteration and see what happens.

From my point of view its really cool to hear from ol38y and get a bit of a play by play.
I won't spoil the story or speculate to much because its his to tell...but... If you only knew what I know about what he has gone thru this week to get there its pretty amazing to be sitting where he's sitting right now and should be really proud! If I had
the same events happen I don't know I would have bounced back and been able to still
find my place in impound...

Way to go Bud! Pulling for you back here! Make it happen.

NRHS Sales
16th August 2012, 17:55
Was that his back-up pass?

JasonSarratt
16th August 2012, 18:48
Dunno, since he already certified the motor data earlier I'm not sure if he's hitting impound to check tags and call it done or if he is impounding prior to the back up run... Will call and check

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk 2

Dakin Engineering
16th August 2012, 19:01
Way to go Larry!

Sam

JasonSarratt
16th August 2012, 19:04
Ok just checked... He's in impound and will do the backup run in the AM. Adjustments will be made cause he said he wasn't able to push as hard as he would have liked to. Running it in the morning to snatch it up. Bike is strong and he'll push harder tomorrow once a few tweaks are made.

Appartently the record he's pushing against, he was faster at the 2mile and stayed with it till he softpedaled it at the end. So it looks like he may be walking away with it tomorrow providing she holds together, fingers crossed.

Good Luck Ol38y!!! We are all pulling for you!

NRHS Sales
16th August 2012, 21:10
He is going against a tough record. ;)

aswracing
16th August 2012, 21:21
The current record is 165.370 set by Susan in 2007. Neither her bike nor Larry's are true "A" bikes though ... both forced to run "A" due to their cases ... and a true lay-down "A" bike could be much faster. But anyway, he's doing a great job and it sounds like he's going to put a nice bump on the record. I'll congratulate him tomorrow, though, don't want to jinx him!

JasonSarratt
16th August 2012, 22:01
I don't wanna see him Jinxed either...

I think going beyond where others stopped is always a fight... its never easy to push boundries but I think he has made this one happen. I think he has more in it once he makes his adjustments. If he can stay in it and everything is right I'm sure he'll pick up a few more mph based on his reporting, but thats my speculation... Bottom line, to all the LSR guys, Win Loose or Draw fact is you are all doing it insteada yacking about "Someday" at a bar... you guys are all actually doing it!

NRHS Sales
16th August 2012, 22:06
Bottom line, to all the LSR guys, Win Loose or Draw fact is you are all doing it insteada yacking about "Someday" at a bar... you guys are all actually doing it!

We must be crazy!!!

NRHS Sales
17th August 2012, 16:26
Just Saw that Larry backed up his 170 mph speed with another 170 mph run so he has set a new bar fot the rest of us to shoot for!!!

JasonSarratt
17th August 2012, 17:36
New record is set at 169.975 mph

Way to go Ol38y

BWP 5p
17th August 2012, 17:46

Way to go Ol38y

:clap:clap:banana:banana:clap:clap GREAT JOB LARRY!!!!:banana:banana

Thanks for the updates Guys!

aswracing
17th August 2012, 17:48
Great job Larry! Congrats!!!

aswracing
17th August 2012, 18:07

WOW! My AMA record in the same class (1350 A-PG) is 169.477!

Larry is a helluva racer. He has my respect.

ol38y
22nd August 2012, 03:03
Thanks guys for all the well wishes. What a week on the salt. I just finished cleaning the trailers out yesterday and back to work today.

I'll try and give a brief account of my experiences. We arrived a day early to set up the pits and tech. Breezed thru tech as predicted. Fri. afternoon, the day before race day, the rain came. So much for dry salt. Course 1 of 4 was not used on day 1 as it was too wet. I opted to wait a day to let the salt dry before making a run. That almost bit me in the azz... :doh

On day 2 we made a run about 10:30. It was running good till just past the 1/4. It layed over and I opted to play with the throttle instead of just backing out of it. :doh:doh Got back to the pits and had melted the electrodes on both rear plugs. :frownone Changed the plugs and had the awful woooshing sound in the exhaust. Now I need a beer.

The next am we backed off the pushrods and put some air to it. Yup, blowing out the exhaust. Pulled the rear head and found the burnt valve. Made the call to have a new valve overnited to SLC. Picked the valve up Tue. am and got it back together Tue. afternoon. It sounded good so made a timing change and gave it more fuel for the am runs...

Got a couple runs in Wed. Started giving it more fuel and timing adjustments. But, we did get more of an idea of what the motor wanted.

We got in line early Thurs. to be right after the back-up runs from the previous day. Ran at 8:58, conditions were a little better than the other day.

Speeds, mile 2 165.858 , 2-1/4 170.684 , mile 3 169.811 . Oh yeah, my tach quit on this run so I had no idea how fast the run was at the time. I did see some friends at the return road who said they heard "qualified". That was the first time my name had been mentioned on the radio all week... :banana

The plugs looked good in impound, not showing lean. Installed new plugs and made another timing adj.. Now it's time for a Bloody Mary!

BBL, dinner time... :laugh

NRHS Sales
22nd August 2012, 03:28
once again great job Larry!!

ol38y
22nd August 2012, 04:42
Thanks Dan. I'm goin to bed... This work shiz is hard...

ol38y
23rd August 2012, 02:14
Well, so much for being brief huh...

Fri. am we all rolled out of impound at 7am. I ended up being the first run on course 2.
It ran the rpm all thru the last mile. Maybe I need a couple more rear sprockets. They blew the timing in mile 2. Glad that wasn't the qualifing mile. Sooooo

Speed 2 1/4 169.374 mile 3 170.139 for a 169.975 average. What I wouldn't give for another .050 mph...

The rest of the story is just a lot of work.

rottenralph
23rd August 2012, 02:28
Just curious, why are you melting sparkplugs. I did that once on a Mustang right after I put a Hypertech module on it. Is it some form of detonation?

BWP 5p
23rd August 2012, 02:28
Well, so much for being brief huh...

Fri. am we all rolled out of impound at 7am. I ended up being the first run on course 2.
It ran the rpm all thru the last mile. Maybe I need a couple more rear sprockets. They blew the timing in mile 2. Glad that wasn't the qualifing mile. Sooooo

Speed 2 1/4 169.374 mile 3 170.139 for a 169.975 average. What I wouldn't give for another .050 mph...

The rest of the story is just a lot of work.

Never knew a racer that was afraid of incredibly hard, insane work!:clap:clap

Glad you did good.....and especially were safe. And yes....going back to work ALWAYS sucks!:laugh

My hat...or helmet is OFF to you Sir!:clap:clap:banana

ol38y
23rd August 2012, 04:25
Ralph, my first inclination was lean/detonation too. I was also told that because the humidity was high, 36%, and the rear cyl. fires first, it raised the compression much higher than normal, creating extra heat... Idunno. I solved it by throwing more fuel at it and timing. Aaron probably has a better answer.

Thanks BWP...

aswracing
23rd August 2012, 04:42
Larry, Susan sends her congrats too.

She was genuinely pleased when I told her what you did, and with a big smile on her face she said something to the effect that she'll have to get you back ;)

rocketmangb
23rd August 2012, 04:52
Larry,

How big a jet change did you make between the Dyno and Bonnie ?

Timing ?

ol38y
28th August 2012, 02:55
Aaron, thank you both. It's been my experience that when a woman says something like that, the eyes tell the rest of the story! LOL The next year will be interesting. I look forward to it.

GB, I went up 50 on jetting and played between 28 and 32 on the timing...

maru
28th August 2012, 08:22
Nice job Larry. steve

55chevr
28th August 2012, 15:34
Larry - Thrilled for you ... nice - very nice.

Joe

ol38y
5th September 2012, 16:41
Steve, Joe thank you.

Now stay tuned for my next build! A whole new bike. I have a frame, engine and wheels. That's it. Soooo, anybody who has some old evo stuff laying around that wants to donate it, I have the place. I'll need things like oil tank, battery box, clutch lever, swingarm, stock gas tank, all for a '95 era sporty. Stay tuned...

NRHS Sales
5th September 2012, 16:46
Things could get really interesting next year if we get 3 bikes all going for the 1350 mpg record!!!

ol38y
16th September 2012, 20:58
Well, it looks like El Mirage might have to wait till next year. Just checked the pinion shaft and it has .013 runout. Well, the weather is good in May as well...

NRHS Sales
17th September 2012, 18:17
Larry,
I found the same thing on our bike 10 days before Bubs. lets just say it was a mad scarmable those last weeks but we got it done!!!

ol38y
18th September 2012, 01:04
I don't have another pinion shaft and you know how S+S is. Slllooowwwwww...

NRHS Sales
18th September 2012, 16:26
so are you saying the actual shaft is bent, that is it not just the crank being out of true?

If so I would say you caught it just in time before the pinion shaft broke.

aswracing
18th September 2012, 17:01
I don't have another pinion shaft and you know how S+S is. Slllooowwwwww...

Larry, I could probably front you a +.5" pinion shaft if it helps. I'm pretty sure I have a spare.

ol38y
19th September 2012, 01:58
so are you saying the actual shaft is bent, that is it not just the crank being out of true?

If so I would say you caught it just in time before the pinion shaft broke.

It got too hot in the shop before I took any more measurements Dan. I think I'll take more measurements from the middle and up at the crank. Then I can decide what's really going on. But yeah, my initial thought was, wow, that was close...

ol38y
19th September 2012, 02:05
Larry, I could probably front you a +.5" pinion shaft if it helps. I'm pretty sure I have a spare.

That's a very generous offer Aaron, thank you. My source here in CA is supposed to place an order with S+S this week. I told him to order 3... If they don't have any in stock I might hit you up. I was planning on replacing the pinion shaft and valve springs over the winter anyway.

machinetools1
30th September 2012, 02:37
Larry, are you going to El Mirage on October 21. Is there going to be other Harley riders from this forum there? would be awsome to see you run.

ol38y
30th September 2012, 16:16
Right now it looks like the May '13 event will be the next outing with the bike. Should have a 120" bike there for shakedown runs before Bville also.

Turbo Sporty 48
30th September 2012, 17:17
Right now it looks like the May '13 event will be the next outing with the bike. Should have a 120" bike there for shakedown runs before Bville also.

This sounds exciting.
Would you consider posting a few pictures?
Some of us live where it rains, snows and except for the 2 weeks of summer, well, there is mud season, bug season, before winter.

ol38y
30th September 2012, 18:15
This sounds exciting.
Would you consider posting a few pictures?
Some of us live where it rains, snows and except for the 2 weeks of summer, well, there is mud season, bug season, before winter.

Well, I'm just above a computer dummy and posting pics here in a pita. There are some more pics of our efforts this year at Sour Dough Racing on Facebook. I'm just starting to show our efforts there. Thanks for asking.:D

machinetools1
1st October 2012, 01:44
Larry what is the bore and stroke of your 120 ci sportster motor. I live in Coalinga and was wondering who does your dyno runs in Bakersfield.

ol38y
1st October 2012, 02:38
The 120" belongs to a friend of mine so I'm not sure of the B+S. He used to drag race it when there was enough races out here to make it worth while. He also has a dyno in Irwindale that I use from time to time.

Bakersfield HD has a dyno but I don't know if they have anyone who really knows how to make good use of it.

Dakin Engineering
1st October 2012, 04:10
Know what ya mean.
Feelings get hurt when home brew beats catalog builds.

Whups,
(snicker)
Sam

ol38y
21st December 2012, 17:30
http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/374424_511539712199144_1261759527_n.jpg

My spoils from our efforts on the salt.

NRHS Sales
21st December 2012, 17:32
You have set the bar high for Cil and I but we are going to be coming for you!! ;) We are running M-PG but I still feel your record is the mark we should be shooting for.

Congrats on a great record.

AustinXL
21st December 2012, 18:01
http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/374424_511539712199144_1261759527_n.jpg

Another cool trophy!

That's gotta look awesome on your coffee table.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nytstr
21st December 2012, 18:27
Speedweek has nicer trophies

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

BWP 5p
22nd December 2012, 05:43

IMPRESSIVE:clap:clap:banana:banana

You have set the bar high for Cil and I but we are going to be coming for you!! ;) We are running M-PG but I still feel your record is the mark we should be shooting for.

Congrats on a great record.

:clap:clap

Another cool trophy!

That's gotta look awesome on your coffee table.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:clap:clap

Sure as Hell is! I'll bet there weren't any Cavemen there getting it done!!!:clap

Excellent job Larry!:banadanc:banana:banapart:dancesmil:urock:ur ock:band

ol38y
22nd December 2012, 14:58
Thanks everyone . :D

Also have to say all the parts are in for the rebuild. The wheels should go back together next week. The valve springs didn't test well but I'd planned to replace them anyway. I guess it's a good thing I'm using BBC valve springs cuz they don't last much longer then the pinion shaft. :doh. But one good thing. I'm using Chevy V6 rings so I have 4 more sets left... :laugh

I'm also trying to pull some strings and have a Baker 6-speed for next year as well.:p Also if anyone else has a string to pull on my behalf I'd be very grateful...

Last but not least. I want to wish everyone here on XLF a Merry Christmas and a great New Year... :smoke

bitpusher
23rd December 2012, 02:04
yup, speed week definitely has some nice trophies and well deserved.

if i am not mistaken you were the fastest 1350 sporty run overall last year and i for one am damn proud of you.

if i get hit by a beer truck, you can have my 6 speed. :smoke

ol38y
11th January 2013, 04:54
Finally had my 15 seconds of fame. Nice piece, the first of two I believe. Our bit is at 28:15. :p

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=GFCBOwD-BwI

ol38y
11th January 2013, 04:56
yup, speed week definitely has some nice trophies and well deserved.

if i am not mistaken you were the fastest 1350 sporty run overall last year and i for one am damn proud of you.

if i get hit by a beer truck, you can have my 6 speed. :smoke

thanks Sky, but who gets the beer? I also talked with the boys at Baker and they think I'd do better with gearing changes. They did offer me a killer deal on a tranny if I want so I'm still thinking it over...:D

Turbo Sporty 48
11th January 2013, 06:11
Finally had my 15 seconds of fame. Nice piece, the first of two I believe. Our bit is at 28:15. :p

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=GFCBOwD-BwI

Thanks for posting this.
Salt fever, eh?

ol38y
15th May 2013, 05:46
http://sphotos-b.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/p480x480/946442_571998082844901_1050144008_n.jpg

Made a quick trip to Irwindale last weekend to heat cycle and make sure all is operating as intended. All ready for El Mirage this weekend.:smoke

aswracing
15th May 2013, 05:49
Kick some butt and be safe, Larry!

JasonSarratt
15th May 2013, 07:02
Do well and be safe bud... Carol and let me know how you did out there... Val may be heading to Elmo as well

Jason Sarratt
2401 SC-PBG 1350cc
www.hellcat-customs.com

ol38y
15th May 2013, 15:12
Thanks Aaron, appreciate it.

Thanks Jason. I'll give you a call, but don't expect any singing. (carol)... ;)

The weather is supposed to be mid 80's and from what I hear the track is not too bad.

Dakin Engineering
15th May 2013, 15:36
Go fast-Good Luck!- Be safe

Sam

Nytstr
16th May 2013, 13:44
Best wishes for speed and safe runs! Hoping none of the pieces break this time out.

NRHS Sales
16th May 2013, 16:22
what are the 2 black pipes by the rear tire?

ol38y
17th May 2013, 15:15
Thanks Sam and Nytster. :)

Those are the bleeders for the disgronificator valves. :p

Now I have to go out to the shop to use the bathroom. The septic tank on the house decided to fill up last nite just as I was taking a shower. The pump co. doesn't open till 8 so they should be here 'bout 9. :( Is that TMI?

Turbo Sporty 48
17th May 2013, 19:35
Thanks Sam and Nytster. :)

Those are the bleeders for the disgronificator valves. :p

Now I have to go out to the shop to use the bathroom. The septic tank on the house decided to fill up last nite just as I was taking a shower. The pump co. doesn't open till 8 so they should be here 'bout 9. :( Is that TMI?
Nope, puts a human face on the glamorous life.
The trials and tribulations of a racer.
Back up generator and trash pump, almost as important as a disgronificator valve.

ol38y
23rd June 2014, 02:06
An El Mirage update:

For whatever reason the last couple years at El Mirage I've been snake bit. Problems from the simple to multiple. Well this weekend that all changed. I now hold the record for El Mirage as well as Bonneville in SCTA santioned events. The new El Mirage record set today is.......:banana

172.651 mph

Nytstr
23rd June 2014, 02:08
An El Mirage update:

For whatever reason the last couple years at El Mirage I've been snake bit. Problems from the simple to multiple. Well this weekend that all changed. I now hold the record for El Mirage as well as Bonneville in SCTA santioned events. The new El Mirage record set today is.......:banana

172.651 mph
Well done! Bet that is a fantastic feeling!

Sent by smoke signals

aswracing
23rd June 2014, 02:11
Way to go Larry!!!

lugster
23rd June 2014, 02:19
AWESOME!!!:banana:banana

JasonSarratt
23rd June 2014, 03:07
Your the man Larry

Sent from my C6606 using Tapatalk

Screw Loose Dan