PDA

View Full Version : Flat track rear end for +04 models

alainmengoli
16th November 2006, 12:30
I have in my hand a geniunflat track rear fender for the new sportster, I think it may be a storz one. I was wondering if any one in the UK wanted one. I could get a mould done for it and have some made and sell them at cost price. Any one interested or shouldn't I bother?

I am not sure about the legallity of copying anther design so if I am wrong pelase tell me.

samspade77
21st November 2006, 06:22
It's legal as long as you don't get caught :) If I lived in the UK, I would take you up on your offer.

Mr.Mow
21st November 2006, 06:42
I have in my hand a geniunflat track rear fender for the new sportster, I think it may be a storz one. I was wondering if any one in the UK wanted one. I could get a mould done for it and have some made and sell them at cost price. Any one interested or shouldn't I bother?

I am not sure about the legallity of copying anther design so if I am wrong pelase tell me.

Dude, send it to the aluminium tank guy in Scotland (can't remember the name), get him to make up a nice aluminium copy!!

(and yeah, I'd take you up on it if I were in the UK too!)

xl1200r
22nd November 2006, 05:11
speaking of legality...

Storz probably has a "design patent" in the states, which means the shape of the fender is protected (I'm just assuming this). However, since the idea of a flat-track rear fender isn't "new", it's not technically patentable - i.e., the original patent has probably long expired, if there ever was one. What's interesting is that unless Storz went and got protection in the UK (or any other country), you're free to produce an exact copy and sell them in any country they aren't protected in.

Bottom line - it woudln't be a bad idea to check with the E.U. patent office (I forget the website now...) just to see. But chances are, you'd be in the clear.

And yeah, i'd take you up too if I were in the U.K.

alainmengoli
22nd November 2006, 11:19
Unfortunately I had no feedback from uk bikers henc eI wont bother. I must add that the storz kit is of high quality and that the local fibre glass companies were impressed by the quality. Now I know why they are so expensive at the end of the day you get what you pay for.

Mr.Mow
22nd November 2006, 11:27
Unfortunately I had no feedback from uk bikers henc eI wont bother. I must add that the storz kit is of high quality and that the local fibre glass companies were impressed by the quality. Now I know why they are so expensive at the end of the day you get what you pay for.

Question for you.. Do you have the stock tank? Storz say you can't fit their tail with the stock tank, can you confirm this is the case?

I want their tail, but am not so keen on forking out the $1100 for their 'handmade' tank.