PDA

View Full Version : red line verses amsoil

05sporty
2nd December 2006, 03:15
has anybody seen any test reports on these oils and your thoughts .:doh

The guy with the 883C
2nd December 2006, 04:19
In another couple of weeks I'll be draining the syn3 and running redline.
The change after that will be amsoil.
I'll have comparisons in the spring. :)

biknut
2nd December 2006, 04:25
I've used both Red Line and Amsoil for many years and thousands of miles. They both are great. You can't go wrong with either one.

biknut
2nd December 2006, 04:48
Here's a bit of Red Line trivia. The company was started by Nazi's. During WWII Nazi scientists where the worlds best at making synthetic rocket fuel. After the war the U.S. government was desperate to learn this technology, so they imported Nazi scientists to White Sands New Mexico to make it for them. After the synthetic rocket fuel market dried up they started the Red Line company and started making making synthetic oil. Next thing you know, Drag Racers found out about it in the 70s

Rumor has it that the Harley factory race team uses it, and that they use it in M1 tanks. Curiously the gear oil has a military rating on the bottle.

Paul
5th December 2006, 01:01
Redline is by far the best oil I have used in my Harley. I won't use anything else anymore.

wingman1946
11th June 2009, 15:11
Redline is by far the best oil I have used in my Harley. I won't use anything else anymore.

Is it compatable with the sportster clutch?

Don Burton
11th June 2009, 18:45
Is it compatable with the sportster clutch?

See this thread for more info on Redline Oil Company's lube recommendations for Sportster gearbox/clutch/chain cases. http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/showthread.php?t=473437 Redline's official recommendation is to use their 75W/90 gear oil but two other products are also acceptable.. Amsoil's recommendation is to use their 20W/50 motorcycle oil which is also a GL-1 gear oil.

diffman75
26th June 2009, 16:00
do most hd dealer have these in stock

khaskins
26th June 2009, 16:10
do most hd dealer have these in stock

I've been to several dealers and have not seen it on the shelf. I have seen it for sale on line.

I use AMSOIL, and plan to continue to do so unless it becomes hard to find, then I'll go to Mobil 1 V-Twin formula 20-50. They now stock it at Wally World.

Secretblend
26th June 2009, 16:14
I've been to several dealers and have not seen it on the shelf. I have seen it for sale on line.

I use AMSOIL, and plan to continue to do so unless it becomes hard to find, then I'll go to Mobil 1 V-Twin formula 20-50. They now stock it at Wally World.

They do!?? I haven't seen it yet. I'll have to check since I can get discount at Wally world

rodhotter
26th June 2009, 19:01
redline will take the most heat, their polyol ester base is the ONLY lubricant that can handle jet turbine punishment, the military just has a spec number for their product, myoilshop.com has redline at a fair price, but an amsoil preferred customer can get a better price for the almost as good amsoil product

srrice40
26th June 2009, 19:10
I don't know how amsoil is but I like redline, I just changed over after my 500 breakin from the rebuild and it runs ALOT cooler. I am sure amsoil is just as good, but I found a pretty decent deal online last year when I changed it out. wish I could remember that url.