PDA

View Full Version : whining noise

shag
16th March 2005, 18:06
When I am 3rd or 4th gear turning 3000 rpm`s and I let off on the throttle all the way and let the bike compression down to 2000 rpm it gets a hell of a loud gear whining noise coming from the engine. I was concerned enough to take it to the dealer (still under warranty) to have it checked out. Tech rode it on their 7 mile loop and said he heard nothing unusual. He said it was noise from the gear drive cams and was amplified even more because of the windshield. He checked the primary chain for proper tension and ever thing else checked out to be fine. What do you guys think? Anybody else hear it on their bike. Oh, it`s and 883 with taxes paid if that makes any difference. Thanks, Shag

pquirk
16th March 2005, 18:46
Sounds normal to me (no pun intended), but without hearing first hand I don;t think anyone can give you a definitive answer. If you have still have doubts find a friend who's familiar with HD motors and not affiliated with a dealer to take a listen.

cantolina
16th March 2005, 18:48
When I am 3rd or 4th gear turning 3000 rpm`s and I let off on the throttle all the way and let the bike compression down to 2000 rpm it gets a hell of a loud gear whining noise coming from the engine. I was concerned enough to take it to the dealer (still under warranty) to have it checked out. Tech rode it on their 7 mile loop and said he heard nothing unusual. He said it was noise from the gear drive cams and was amplified even more because of the windshield. He checked the primary chain for proper tension and ever thing else checked out to be fine. What do you guys think? Anybody else hear it on their bike. Oh, it`s and 883 with taxes paid if that makes any difference. Thanks, Shag

I heard a lot of whining before my conversion.....then I realized it was ME, whining for more power....lol

Seriously, I hope someone else can shed some light on this for you....

Has it always sounded this way? Was there an event from which the sound began? Maybe yer just paranoid? (see my conversion thread re: noisy valve train after conversion)

Take a good look at your lube situation...oil, primary...make sure yer up to snuff all around...don't be afraid to change it "just because"

That's where I'd start...

shag
20th March 2005, 03:22
Thanks for the replies. gonna check all fluids, maybe change to synthetic. Bike only has 2600 miles on it and it really howls rolling off the throttle. Oh well, still on warranty so I guess I will ride the hell out of it and see what happens. Just very different from my other two bikes Thanks Shag

stevo
20th March 2005, 03:40
When I was at the dealership almost all the "noises" from new harley owner/riders was nothing to worry about..

especially with a screen as it amplifies everything...

If the tech said there's no problem ....... then just go and ride it.....I would say there's no problem

willprevale
20th March 2005, 04:52
I don't know how good your ears are but if they're anything like my kid's, you can hear a mouse fart at 100 paces. That whing could come from a lot of places but my bet is you're hearing the roller bearings in your lower end. Nothing to worry about. Perfectly normal. So are all the other strange noises these engines make. Ride and enjoy.