PDA

View Full Version : As good as it gets?

obiwan
7th December 2006, 09:09
My bike isn't quite broken-in yet, but even so I'm a bit disappointed by the mileage I'm getting. :(

I filled up today about 5 miles after the low fuel light came on (seems to be coming on too early). According to an online calculator, these are the figures I'm getting for daily commuting, stop & go traffic:

Distance travelled
129.2 km
80.28 miles

Fuel Amount
9 litres
2.38 US gallons
1.98 Imperial gallons

Fuel Economy
6.97 litres per 100 km
33.76 miles per US gallon
40.55 miles per Imperial gallon

According to HD site they claim YMMV, but it's hard to see it ever getting to their claimed figures: 57.1 hwy / 42.4 city - even after break-in.

What's your experience with mileage on the new FI Sportsters? Does it get much better?

Takingabreak
7th December 2006, 09:14
That ain't right at all. Sounds like a fuel control issue, take it into the dealer and have it checked out.

opiewontaylor
7th December 2006, 10:22
Never having had a new Sporty, let alone one with EFI, I'm no authority on the subject. But I can tell ya this much...every new vehicle I've ever had got much worse mileage during break in. I don't begin to know the technical reasons why, except to guess that the motor is working harder during break in? I've also never owned a vehicle that matched the manufacturers mileage claims, especially for city driving. (I think they use 80 lb grandmothers, on windless days, with steep downhill inclines)...

Screw Loose Dan
7th December 2006, 13:06
My bike isn't quite broken-in yet, but even so I'm a bit disappointed by the mileage I'm getting. :(

What's your experience with mileage on the new FI Sportsters? Does it get much better?

I have a 883 and with the associated lower gearing, so this might not be relevant. I do remember the first 1000 miles or so varied greatly in gas mileage. And it still seems to vary quite a bit. But, your's still doesn't seem right.

With the break-in period long gone, at 3300+ miles on mine I generally get somewhere between 43 to 55 miles/gallon (US). I generally stop when I reach the 100 mile mark, which happens to be right around when the light comes on. At 100 miles it takes somewhere between 1.8 and 2.3 gallons (you may check my math).

Generally the mileage is directly dependent on my style of driving. Not just city vs highway. But flogging it or not. If I'm riding like speed racer it definitely hits me at the pump.

As Jeffytune stated, you might want to have the dealer look at it.

Best of luck.

Moved On / My Own Choice
7th December 2006, 14:22
Never having had a new Sporty, let alone one with EFI, I'm no authority on the subject. But I can tell ya this much...every new vehicle I've ever had got much worse mileage during break in. I don't begin to know the technical reasons why, except to guess that the motor is working harder during break in? I've also never owned a vehicle that matched the manufacturers mileage claims, especially for city driving. (I think they use 80 lb grandmothers, on windless days, with steep downhill inclines)...

You got the technical reasons just fine, but in a word it's "friction."

Ironically, I've always been ABLE to get the manufacturer's advertised mileage out of a vehicle (car, truck, bike etc), IF I stay out of the gas a bit.

But yes, it's usually lower during break-in.

55Bear
7th December 2006, 14:41
My new 1200R is getting about 38-40 MPG, but it only has 170 miles on it and I've only gassed it up twice so far. I fueled it up about the same as Obiwan, 5 miles or so after the low fuel light came on. Interestly, the second time it came on was during a right hand turn.

I was told by the dealer to expect 50 MPG or so after break-in.

Hope this helps...

Keep riding!! :tour

55Bear

obiwan
7th December 2006, 15:08
Thanks guys. I figure I'm getting about 5-10mpg less than I should be. I ride fairly conservatively and don't hammer it (breaking in as per the manual). I'll try one more tankful and if still the same I think I'll take Jeffytune's advice and see the dealer, just to be on the safe side.

I'll post any updates if it changes.

bmcdonau
7th December 2006, 16:33
I bought my XL50 with 600 miles on it and it got over 50 mpg from the first tank I put in it. I don't know how much lower the gas milage it may have been for the first 600 miles. I'd say high 40s to low 50s is typical for 50/50 city/highway riding and if you don't get it take it to the dealer for a look see.

t.c. Johnson
7th December 2006, 20:25
I get a consistant 55mpg on the highway. 40s in the twisties.
Well broken in.

It took a while to get this way. I wouldn't sweat it until you have a few thousand miles and some consistant highway milage to compare.

countersteer
8th December 2006, 03:00

I filled up today about 5 miles after the low fuel light came on (seems to be coming on too early). According to an online calculator, these are the figures I'm getting for daily commuting, stop & go traffic:

Distance travelled
129.2 km
80.28 miles

Fuel Amount
9 litres
2.38 US gallons
1.98 Imperial gallons

Fuel Economy
6.97 litres per 100 km
33.76 miles per US gallon
40.55 miles per Imperial gallon

According to HD site they claim YMMV, but it's hard to see it ever getting to their claimed figures: 57.1 hwy / 42.4 city - even after break-in.

I'm getting between 55 - 57 mpg on my '07 XL 883, running between 60-70 mph on back roads.

glu_dobber
8th December 2006, 04:49
Only refueled 4 times so far but avg. 49.5 mpg. At 55 to 65 mph
And my face still hurts from smilin.:tour

jumpman
19th July 2007, 18:04
Mileage is piss poor on my 07 1200C. 31 mpg period. Problem is its getting worse as break-in draws to an end. At first I thought the fuel light was comming on early but set the trip meter and stuck a quart of fuel in the fork bag and set out to find out for sure. Light comes on when it should I am just getting PISS POOR mileage. 140 miles per tank (4.5 Gallons).

900 miles on it right now and bike is in the shop. Will see if a remap will work on this thing. But as you can see 31 mpg is nowhere close to spec.

Moved On / My Own Choice
19th July 2007, 18:06
Yeah, 31 does sound low.

We're only at 600 or so miles and continue to get 40 mpg.

I suspect it will improve in the month or so to come.

But I'm not too worried if it stays in this ballpark.

K

tsj9197
19th July 2007, 20:36
i get just about the exact numbers on my 700 mile 1200R with mostly city riding.

but if i do a whole tank on the highway i'll get closer to 50mpg.

i notice that my mileage is inversely proportionally with usage of my right hand.

DIESEL
19th July 2007, 20:40
Our 07 gets at least 50--Light comes on at 110 or so--2.2/2.3 to top it off.

Muttley
19th July 2007, 23:10
Just passed 1,000 miles on my '07 883. Including some around-town, 45-50 mph backroads, and a little bit of 70 mph interstate highways, I have averaged 55 mpg on most tanks.

MAL056
19th July 2007, 23:32
I have just over 3K miles and I get 50+ on road trips.