PDA

View Full Version : Converting a 3/4" axle wheel to 1"?

auslander
17th February 2009, 05:48
I recently bought a Stock rear spoked wheel for my 05 1200c off ebay. What was supposed to be a wheel for a 1" axle turns out to be for a 3/4" axle. :censor

While I'm waiting to hear back from the seller about what he wants to do about this, I'm looking into my options. I've heard vague info that I could simply pull the 3/4" bearings and install the correct 1" bearings and spacer. Does anyone know for sure if this will work? All the other wheel measurements (rotor/sprocket spacing, overall width, etc) look right and the OD of the bearings are the same as my current wheel with the 1" ID bearings.

What I'm concerned with is that the hub won't have enough clearance for the spacer for the OD of the 1" bearing spacer. The reason I don't just take the 3/4 wheel apart and check is that I don't want to do anything to it until I hear back from the seller, but I want to figure out my options before I talk to him again.

TIA

SCAGNETTI
17th February 2009, 05:58
You should be able to remove the 3/4" bearings and install 1" no problem. Just like you said new spacer etc..there is plenty of room inside the hub.You mentioned everything else looked right so you should be fine.

cosmic
17th February 2009, 06:32
Can you let us know how you go with this problem, because if it fits there are a whole lot of wheel options that we all could use . Cheers

FoxsterUK
17th February 2009, 13:44
I did something similar in that I put a 25mm axle '08 wheel onto my '05 by swapping out the bearings.

All you need are a pair of standard bearings from your local bearings dealer. The dimensions are: 1 ID, 52mm OD, 20mm wide.

If you haven't swapped some bearings before then it can be a real pain. It might be best if you get a local bike shop to swap them out for you.

Fox

Bob F
17th February 2009, 14:00
You should be able to remove the 3/4" bearings and install 1" no problem.

This is what I've read too.

get a local bike shop to swap them out for you.

They press out and in.

FoxsterUK
17th February 2009, 14:09
They press out and in.I'd hardly call it 'press'. Without the proper & expensive tool its hard to get the old bearings out because the sleeve means there is very little lip on the bearings to get a drift onto. I did do it with mine but it took several hours hard work. You also risk damaging the hub.

Getting them back in is a lot easier as you can heat the hub and freeze the bearings and knock them in no problems.

Fox

auslander
18th February 2009, 02:41
Can you let us know how you go with this problem, because if it fits there are a whole lot of wheel options that we all could use . Cheers

OK, here is what I found but keep in mind that my measurements aren't 100% accurate because all my good calipers are at work and I only have a cheap set here at the house. I took the bearings and spacer out of both my original 1" rear wheel and the spoked 3/4" rear wheel I'm trying to install to compare the differences.

First off, both the 3/4" and 1" spacers have .120 wall thickness (one is marked as such). That makes their OD .240" larger than the nominal axle thickness.

http://img23.imageshack.us/img23/7744/spacersve9.th.jpg (http://img23.imageshack.us/my.php?image=spacersve9.jpg)

On each wheel the spacer has about .050" clearance in the hub as you can tell in the following pictures:

3/4" axle hub spacer hole is approximately 1.050"
http://img179.imageshack.us/img179/1713/34inchaxleuj9.th.jpg (http://img179.imageshack.us/my.php?image=34inchaxleuj9.jpg)

1" axle hub spacer hole is approximately 1.300"
http://img261.imageshack.us/img261/1725/1inchaxlejh9.th.jpg (http://img261.imageshack.us/my.php?image=1inchaxlejh9.jpg)

I also put one of the 1" ID bearings into the 3/4" hub just to make sure the OD's were the same and no problem there.

The good news is that if you have a 3/4" axle bike, you could use a 1" axle wheel and simply put 3/4" bearings and spacer in with no mods. The only downside I could see is that when your putting the axle in the spacer could be misaligned and keep the axle from going all the way through, but once the wheel is installed on the bike there shouldn't be any issues.

The bad news (for me) is that if you have a 1" axle bike you will have to drill out the spacer clearance by approximately .250" There is one section on either side of the hub, right behind the bearing that needs to be drilled and each one is approximately .400" deep that you have to drill. Since it's aluminum, should be a piece of cake with the right bit.

I'm going to try a machine shop we use at work tomorrow and see how much they'll charge me to drill the hub out. Should be a 10 minute job for them.

auslander
18th February 2009, 03:00
I'd hardly call it 'press'. Without the proper & expensive tool its hard to get the old bearings out because the sleeve means there is very little lip on the bearings to get a drift onto. I did do it with mine but it took several hours hard work. You also risk damaging the hub.

Getting them back in is a lot easier as you can heat the hub and freeze the bearings and knock them in no problems.

Fox

Took me about an hour to pull the bearings from two wheels. I did sacrifice the spacer (they could be deburred and reused though) but didn't damage the wheels or bearings.

What made life a lot easier was when I used my forced air kerosene heater to heat the hub up. The aluminum hub has a higher expansion rate than the steel bearing which helps loosen it up.

As far as reinstalling the bearings I would suggest finding a thick washer just a little smaller than the OD of the bearing. On the other side use a piece of steel plate with a hole drilled in it, then connect the two with a piece of 1/2" all-thread (13mm for you Fox ;) ) and a nut on either side. Cheap and less risk of the bearing getting cocked sideways when you're starting it. Plus you make sure that the pressure you're putting on the bearing is on the outer race and not the inner.

jesse85
23rd February 2009, 01:31
I have an 08 that uses a 25mm axles, i got a hub from an 04 that uses 3/4" axles. So i took the the dremel tool and an aluminum cutting wheel with a little bit of oil and went to town. It took me about an hour, well worth it....... I got a really good deal on the hub, and i laced it to a excel 18 x 5.5 wheel.

FoxsterUK
23rd February 2009, 09:35
I have an 08 that uses a 25mm axles, i got a hub from an 04 that uses 3/4" axles. So i took the the dremel tool and an aluminum cutting wheel with a little bit of oil and went to town. It took me about an hour, well worth it....... I got a really good deal on the hub, and i laced it to a excel 18 x 5.5 wheel.I'm a little confused as to what it was you cut/ground. They are all 52mm OD bearings AFAIK.

Fox

jesse85
25th February 2009, 00:52
I'm a little confused as to what it was you cut/ground. They are all 52mm OD bearings AFAIK.

Fox

Well if you look at the photos above in the post you can see that the spacer that goes in between the (25mm or the 1")bearings will not fit without grinding/cutting on the inner hole. You are right about the bearings, and the bearing area is not affected.........

auslander
25th February 2009, 13:12
Can you measure what the OD of the 25mm spacer is? Since 25mm is slightly smaller than 1" (by .016") as long as the spacer is still made of .125" wall tubing you should have only needed to grind out that extra .016".

cminsel83
10th October 2011, 19:22
I did something similar in that I put a 25mm axle '08 wheel onto my '05 by swapping out the bearings.

All you need are a pair of standard bearings from your local bearings dealer. The dimensions are: 1 ID, 52mm OD, 20mm wide.

If you haven't swapped some bearings before then it can be a real pain. It might be best if you get a local bike shop to swap them out for you.

Fox

I'm looking to put a set of nightster or iron wheels on my 05 custom. Can I just swap the stock bearing from my stock wheels?

FoxsterUK
10th October 2011, 19:39
I'm looking to put a set of nightster or iron wheels on my 05 custom. Can I just swap the stock bearing from my stock wheels?If you can get your old ones out without wrecking them then you are a better man than me ;). Just get some new ones, they are only like $/10-20 each.

cminsel83
10th October 2011, 19:44
If you can get your old ones out without wrecking them then you are a better man than me ;). Just get some new ones, they are only like $/10-20 each.

so it's as simple as just buying a new net of 1" bearings for the rear and 3/4" for the front and popping them in? I don't understand why so many people say you have to machine out the axle or bearing spacers?

Redbeard2
1st September 2013, 21:11
I converted a late model 13 spoke 19" H-D aluminum wheel from 3/4" inch to 1". I believe I purchased the wheel off Ebay. As the other posters said the hardest part of this operation is getting the old bearings out. I took it to Wilsons Cycle in E'town KY. They had the bearing removal tool. Next it's necessary to open up the core of the wheel hub because the new 1" inner spacer won't fit in the older wheels. I had to take it to a machine shop because my drill press and lathe won't handle a 19" rim. You should drill it no more then 1/16" oversized. 1/32" or 1/64" are probably okay too. You can buy the replacement 1" spacers from V-Twin, Custom Chrome or Drag Specialties or make one from 1.250" CRS or HRS round bar stock. I drilled it out to 1 1/64" ID and faced it off to the same length as the original center spacer. Next I used a piece of 5/8 NC All-Thread with nuts and washers to seat the bearings because my hydraulic press wasn't wide enough to clear the rim. You can also use these instructions when converting to the 25mm sized bearing and axle sizes. A 1" drill will work fine for opening up your 25mm center spacer.

DaytonaSportster
2nd September 2013, 05:56
Are you concerned about the remaining thickness of the wall of the hub around the spacer?
I was afraid on my Deuce wheel that it would be very thin and could potentially crush or fail.

And the 08 and up use the same spacer as the 05-07 1" as it is 25.4mm