PDA

View Full Version : Changing Tires/Wheels

Shamdog
17th March 2005, 18:29
Any tips or advice for changing front and rear tires? I'll be R and R ing the wheels but taking them to a shop to swap the tires.

collinsb
17th March 2005, 18:52
There are a number of "how to" websites with pictures!
This may be the best!
Please! No charge!
Billy

1. http://www.clarity.net/~adam/tire-changing.html

Shamdog
17th March 2005, 20:14
Sorry, that's more about changing the tires, which I'm sending them out for. I'm looking for info on removing the wheel from the bike and reinstalling it.

Shamdog
17th March 2005, 22:13
Yea, but you guys know ALL the tricks.

xena
17th March 2005, 23:37
Do the "follow the manual" trick and you'll be fine. Torque everything to spec since the wheel is a critical point.
One tip I can offer is, loosen the axle nut but don't remove it until you take note of the order or your washers and spacers. That was the only thing I had an issue with when re mounting the front wheel and my manual was not very specific about it.

Shamdog
19th March 2005, 14:11
Xena - Thanks...That's what I meant. Here's another question for you. The manual says to remove the brake caliper and let it hang loose before you remove the wheel. I'm wondering why I can't just pull the wheel straight out and leave the caliper alone? The disk (which is what I'm replacing) should just slide out, no?

mickes
19th March 2005, 15:01
I'm wondering why I can't just pull the wheel straight out and leave the caliper alone? The disk (which is what I'm replacing) should just slide out, no?

Ya.. you can... but try sliding that disk back between the pads when reinstalling the wheel. Allot less headache to remove the caliper and reinstall it after the wheel is back on. Less chance of damaging something also.

Shamdog
19th March 2005, 17:58
Thanks, Mickes

Shamdog
20th March 2005, 00:05
Done...Had to leave the caliper on because I don't have those friggin wrenches to take the caliper mounting bolts off. It wasn't bad at all. I'm gonna change those bolts out to something more reasonable ASAP.

xena
24th March 2005, 10:13
Done...Had to leave the caliper on because I don't have those friggin wrenches to take the caliper mounting bolts off. It wasn't bad at all. I'm gonna change those bolts out to something more reasonable ASAP.

Sham, the Caliper bolts use a 12pt socket (think it was metric if I recall correctly) I forget the size, 10mm maybe? Manual should say.