PDA

View Full Version : FXGR vs: old FXGR Leather Jacket

Grizzly Adams
11th December 2006, 06:06
I have noted that the new FXGR Jackets are described as medium weight, while the old versions (as found mostly on e-bay now) is described as heavy weight. So how do the new versions rate compared to the older ones?

Also, anyone know anything about the leather sold by an outfit called HempandHawg?

melcheld
11th December 2006, 06:21
Also, anyone know anything about the leather sold by an outfit called HempandHawg?

Don't know much about the first jacket described, but I googled HempandHawg, and checked out their eBay store. All I'm going to say is that $79 will buy you a very nice, cheaply made, poor quality, motorcycle "style" jacket. It is not going to offer much protection in the event you go down. Take a <$100 jacket and compare it to a Bates or Vanson (even a Langlitz if you know someone willing to spend that much on leathers) and you will see the obvious differences. These are jackets made to protect you in a fall. Another company I can HIGHLY recommend is Fox Creek Leather (http://www.foxcreekleather.com). I just bought one of their V1.8 jackets and it is a beauty. They only sell online or over the phone, but they are extremely friendly and helpful. If you're ordering a custom size or just unsure of what will fit, they will even send you a jacket to try on- they even put a pre-paid return shipping label with it. Give them a shot, you won't be dissapointed.

Cheers,

Luke

TheTick
11th December 2006, 17:02
I have noted that the new FXGR Jackets are described as medium weight, while the old versions (as found mostly on e-bay now) is described as heavy weight. So how do the new versions rate compared to the older ones?

Its actually FXRG.
They used to offer a light weight, mid-weight, and a heavy weight. When the updated versions were offered in '05, they dropped the heavy weight. The designations refer to the thickness, and hence the weight of the leather. I have the '99 heavy weight (on ebay as we speak) as well as the '05 mid weight. The heavy weight is much thicker and heavier, and supposed to hold up to road rash longer. The heavy weight was only offered in the marlon brando style, while the mid weight has always had the racing collar.

The '05s have integrated the rain liner (rather than make it removable) and added a removable thermal liner. They've also added subtle reflected piping to the jackets. They've added function specific pocket as well; cell phone, eye glass w/ attached cleaning cloth. The CE armor is now plastic, rather than rubber (less flexible, and slightly thicker).

ecworks
11th December 2006, 17:37
I have the '06 FXRG jacket and love it, high quality and very functional. It also comes with a removeable kidney belt. It is pricey though, almost $600!.

I am looking at the Fox Creek line of jackets and certainly their gloves.

Grizzly Adams
13th December 2006, 23:20
Thanks for the responses! I appreciate the information.

Melched, I did some more research on the Fox Creek leathers and decided to go with them. I ordered a Classic I Jacket and chaps yesterday. Jacket is not is stock, so 3-4 weeks will tell the tale!

4banger
13th December 2006, 23:32
Don't know much about the first jacket described, but I googled HempandHawg, and checked out their eBay store. All I'm going to say is that $79 will buy you a very nice, cheaply made, poor quality, motorcycle "style" jacket. It is not going to offer much protection in the event you go down. Take a <$100 jacket and compare it to a Bates or Vanson (even a Langlitz if you know someone willing to spend that much on leathers) and you will see the obvious differences. These are jackets made to protect you in a fall. Another company I can HIGHLY recommend is Fox Creek Leather (http://www.foxcreekleather.com). I just bought one of their V1.8 jackets and it is a beauty. They only sell online or over the phone, but they are extremely friendly and helpful. If you're ordering a custom size or just unsure of what will fit, they will even send you a jacket to try on- they even put a pre-paid return shipping label with it. Give them a shot, you won't be dissapointed.

Cheers,

Luke
Thanks for the link, the V1.8 looks like a great jacket.

Grizzly Adams
27th December 2006, 22:40
Well, I got a pair of chaps and a Classic I Jacket from Fox Creek. Jesus, is this jacket heavy! Great quality and butter soft, but thick as hell! The chaps are lined, and have two pockets with lots of room and a very heavy liner in them. Nice folks to do business with, and great gear to boot!

sportin_2007
1st January 2007, 01:23
I have the full FXRG leathers and their awesome. The veted jacket is ok for the highways in summer as long as you have the liner removed. A bit hot if you hit traffic though. I like the protection it offers and I wear their full face helmut as well (very light). The pants are also rain proof and I wear them on highway trips for the skid plate protection. Great suit.