PDA

View Full Version : powder coating in SoMD area

ReddTigger
19th February 2009, 16:24
Hey guys, anyone know of a good quality powder coating place in the MD area.. I really don't want to go further then say baltimore.

Oh southern MD is more precise. Waldorf to be exact.

NRHS Sales
19th February 2009, 16:49
Sorry i don't but I have one of the best powder coaters i have ever seen here if you can ship the parts to me.

ReddTigger
19th February 2009, 16:50
Thats a possibility, but I was trying to avoid shipping them anywhere :)

Dlish
19th February 2009, 17:11
buy some powder and take over the oven, im sure she will appreciate it

ReddTigger
19th February 2009, 17:12
buy some powder and take over the oven, im sure she will appreciate it

If I was at my own house that might be a consideration, however, I doubt my MIL will appreciate me using her convection oven for a set of fork lowers.. :)

Dlish
19th February 2009, 17:13
hahaha i hear that, i see companies on craigslist advertising in my area. have you tried seaching the MD craigslists for people?

ReddTigger
19th February 2009, 17:22
hahaha i hear that, i see companies on craigslist advertising in my area. have you tried seaching the MD craigslists for people?

no but that's a good idea..

I was hoping to get someone who actually used one of them in the area. I always prefer word of mouth then randomly picking someone

capttawes
19th February 2009, 17:40
I'm on the eastern shore of MD and found none even near my area so a number of folks on another forum have used www.finaltouchpowdercoating.com so I gave him a shot. I've used Roger (he's in NC) for my strut covers and rear pulley this past year and his prices and turn around have been great and he does quality work. Granted the packing up and paying shipping adds to it but the cost has not been bad overall. Both times I've used him I've got the parts back in one week. I sent my pulley in a couple weeks ago, shipped on Fri., he got it Mon. and I had it back to me Wed. His prices are listed on his site and if you email him he will tell you how much for blasting them as well.

Gojira
19th February 2009, 18:01
theres a co. on the eastern shore just on the other side of the bridge that i plan on using,cant remember the name of the place but i found them with google,

Gojira
19th February 2009, 18:03
http://www.customcoaters.com/html/maryland.html http://www.atlanticpowdercoating.com/

ReddTigger
19th February 2009, 18:11
I'm on the eastern shore of MD and found none even near my area so a number of folks on another forum have used www.finaltouchpowdercoating.com (http://www.finaltouchpowdercoating.com) so I gave him a shot. I've used Roger (he's in NC) for my strut covers and rear pulley this past year and his prices and turn around have been great and he does quality work. Granted the packing up and paying shipping adds to it but the cost has not been bad overall. Both times I've used him I've got the parts back in one week. I sent my pulley in a couple weeks ago, shipped on Fri., he got it Mon. and I had it back to me Wed. His prices are listed on his site and if you email him he will tell you how much for blasting them as well.

Those prices are VERY good.. Might be something to consider..

And that you already used him is another plus.

capttawes
19th February 2009, 18:19
For most stuff to soda blast he only charges a few $ extra to strip paint or chrome. My pulley cost me an addl. $30 I think but then again it was only one part and I think the more parts he can do at the same time the cheaper the blasting cost since its not wasting as much material for a small item. Might also depend how long it takes to get the part completely stripped (probably longer if the part previously had a thick powdercoat on it vs. paint or plating).

A ton of guys over on HD forums have used him for everthing including getting the tins done. He can do extra clear, pearls and flake and he does work for a number of Harley dealers.

Here's a recent shot of my struts and pulley he did:
http://xlforum.net/photopost/watermark.php?file=40059

ReddTigger
19th February 2009, 18:26
For most stuff to soda blast he only charges a few $ extra to strip paint or chrome. My pulley cost me an addl. $30 I think but then again it was only one part and I think the more parts he can do at the same time the cheaper the blasting cost since its not wasting as much material for a small item. Might also depend how long it takes to get the part completely stripped (probably longer if the part previously had a thick powdercoat on it vs. paint or plating).

A ton of guys over on HD forums have used him for everthing including getting the tins done. He can do extra clear, pearls and flake and he does work for a number of Harley dealers.

Here's a recent shot of my struts and pulley he did:
http://xlforum.net/photopost/watermark.php?file=40059

was that pulley chrome when you got it ?? Did you have to pay extra for the smooth glossy finish ?

capttawes
19th February 2009, 18:45
The pulley was stock with falta black wrinkle powder coat on the ctr. front and all of the rear and my strut covers were chrome. No extra for gloss unless you had an addl. clear put over it which I think he does when doing the tins for extra depth depending upon color.
I will tell you that the there is a differnce in gloss between harley frame black and vivid black. You can't tell in the pic but my strut covers are frame black and the pulley vivid black. Intially I told him to match the frame but when looking at the covers compared to the oil tank/batt. cover the color depth was just a little off and not as glossy so when he did my pulley I ask him specifically if there was a difference and he told me the oil/batt. covers are vivid gloss black (differnet than the frame) so I had him do the pulley in vivid gloss black.
If/when I get my tins done I may have him do them as well since he has done some great jobs I've seen on others in everything from matte to satin and gloss or metal flake.

Mutant Buell
19th February 2009, 18:56
I'm from WI. but I used Yellowpages.com and typed in powder coating or painting for my area and found a couple in my area. Also talk to any custom bike or car places. (I chose the one I did by talking to a stock car builder and a go-cart racer). I had the frame, swing arm, oil tank, rear struts, rear fender, gas tank and a whole box of various little parts done for $250. They sand blasted, primed, powder coated and of course baked them at 400 deg. They had it all done in a week and a half. It was located 40 min. from my home. I hope that helps and good luck

Mafix
14th July 2009, 14:12
Old Thread I know, but I use RMS powdercoating in Forestville/Upper Marlboro Area. In the business park right @ the 495/Rt 4 Intersection. Great guys, but I know he was moving at some time in the future. Not sure if he is still there.

blackwell33
13th August 2009, 21:57
This is a little ways from southern MD, but in Glenn Burnie (just east of BWI) I found this place.

I talked to the guy on the phone and was really helpful. They have a price list on their website for probably a couple of hundred motorcycle parts. It seems like they have done this once or twice, lol. I may visit them during the winter as I start some projects. I'll let you know if I end up going there.

blackwell33
13th August 2009, 21:57
http://technicalfinishers.com/moto.html

Dredd
24th September 2009, 06:16
Hi there. I am new here, just moved from Waldorf to Mechanicsville. I have heard of/ seen the work of a guy in Marbury that is really pretty good. If you go to see Bernie at the Victory dealer he'll give you the specifics, but I'll try and get them for you. Where around SoMD do you usually haunt on the bike?

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n210/Dreddstang/006-Copy2.jpg

ReddTigger
24th September 2009, 13:53
Hi there. I am new here, just moved from Waldorf to Mechanicsville. I have heard of/ seen the work of a guy in Marbury that is really pretty good. If you go to see Bernie at the Victory dealer he'll give you the specifics, but I'll try and get them for you. Where around SoMD do you usually haunt on the bike?

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n210/Dreddstang/006-Copy2.jpg

I usually haunt every day right through mechanicsville. I Live in Lexington Park (Now) and I work at ALL American..

docrobinson
9th February 2010, 01:39
if you still need a powdercoater get im touch with craftcoat in Marbury. 301-743-3215.