PDA

View Full Version : long distance on an Iron head

boilermaker
18th March 2005, 04:38
I'm going to ask a dumb question looking at a road trip :tour on my 81 Ironhead
aprox 1500 miles besides the usual stuff,small tool kit cell phone etc charge card
What else and would 400mile days be to much on this old body? :eek: mine not the sporty.I'm thinking if I build up to it It may not be to bad aiming for late summer.
done lots of small runs think its time to step up to bigger trips maybe with one or two other riders

Takingabreak
18th March 2005, 04:59
Hi.

Well, on any bike that can be a bit abit to ask.
One thing that can help would be a windshield, as it will help you avoid the wind pushing you around, that can help you from getting to worn out. A good cushy seat and a back pack that sits on your seat/rack can act like a backrest.

Before you leave, do same stretching and work out a couple times a week for a couple months before you leave will help.
Plan out your ride with maps, and locations of repair and Dealers on your route, and of corse other things of interest you may want to see.
Knowing were your at, and were to go if the worst happens will mean it won't happen. (Murphie's law)

Were you going?.....Kansas city maybe?

74FeHeadXLH
18th March 2005, 05:02
Definately not a dumb question, also a good thing to think ahead before you venture longer distance on an old bike......but I found with my 74, once I put the Mustang touring seat and the best handlebars that fit me, and keeping the bike mechanically sound...I can ride all day on her, even with the wife on back. It also seems to me/us that about when we're getting a little "antsy" , hell it's about time for gas and a cigarrette and a coffee anyway...summertime we routinely ride out to the mountains, which is all day riding, leave around 8:00 in the morn, and don't usually get home till 11 or midnite...you can do it no problem, so can the old Iron !!!

IronMick
18th March 2005, 06:47
Lookin' forward to some long, all day trips on my iron this summer. What's to go wrong? Good brakes, tuneup, maintenance and we are off and running, just like any other bike.

alleydude
18th March 2005, 13:27
I think it's important not to force yourself to stick to that 400 miles a day. If you get into it and find that 300 is your max, make sure your schedule will allow that "change on the fly". Forcing yourself to do more than your body is capable of is only asking for trouble.

Oh, and can I go with you? :D

boilermaker
18th March 2005, 14:19
I think it's important not to force yourself to stick to that 400 miles a day. If you get into it and find that 300 is your max, make sure your schedule will allow that "change on the fly". Forcing yourself to do more than your body is capable of is only asking for trouble.

Oh, and can I go with you? :D
Thanks for the info, its not set in stone the 400 miles.If I can get the time off I plan on going down to Sturgis not at rally time but a little before.I am planning on maybe 8 days out so I can take my time and stop when needed. :tour :clap
And ya Alleydude you can ride with me It would be an honour on my part :tour

willprevale
18th March 2005, 15:22
I've owned several ironheads and in spite of my teasing, they're a fine machine and will do long trips withy no problems. I strongly suggest a good seat and make sure you have the right riser/bar setup. Also, replacing the stock bushings with neoprene will greatly reduce bar vibration.

flathead45
18th March 2005, 15:30
seat, seat, seat . I did 400 on a stock seat and at the end (or last 100) I could only go about 20-25 miles before my ass hurt like hell and had to stop , got to the point that I dreaded getting back on

any thing else is just preferance but you must have a good seat

Bikerlaw
18th March 2005, 22:34
I agree, a good seat makes all the difference. I rode out to Sturgis from Chicago in 1990 by myself on a '76 sportster. I just kept shifting my feet from the pegs to the highway bars and back to the passenger pegs. I'll tell you this, that ironhead never missed a beat. My butt did, but not that bike.
Neil

Bikerdude
18th March 2005, 23:23
Also, replacing the stock bushings with neoprene will greatly reduce bar vibration.

Very Good Advice!!!!!! I did this last summer and man...I could see what was in my mirrors for maybe the first time :D .....and alley is right about not sticking to ANYTHING..."Freebird" is my motto...
Be Safe--Ride Proud!!