PDA

View Full Version : New 1200L will not start!!!

Rebelsam
18th December 2006, 23:48
Bought it from the dealer, drove it home. Well I tried, went 52 miles and it was cold so I stopped at a McDonalds to warm up, 20 miles more to the house and when I came back, it wouldn't crank! The HD dealership had to call a tow truck. This was a Saturday.

They delivered it to my house (rode it) on Thursday. We cranked it several times but didn't ride it. Got up Friday to go get a tag and.... it wouldn't crank.

It turns over, the fuel injection primes, the security turns off, but the bike will not start. Called dealer, they will pick it up on Tuesday.

Remembered that it was hot on Thursday when they brought it, so I pulled it out into the sun and sure enough it cranks. This is Friday evening. Put it back in garage to go eat and when we come back it is cooler and the bike won't crank.

Tried cranking it several times on Saturday and Sunday morning and it turns over but doesn't crank. Moved it out into the sun that early afternoon and after a few minutes it cranks. I go get gas and my wife gets to ride the bike she paid cash for for the first time. Put about 50 miles on it. Did not kill the engine after I got gas.

Get up Monday morning, kinda chilli and the bike won't start. Thank goodness they are picking it up tomorrow.

I'm about ready to shoot someone. PS. I have an 2005 LX1200C with the stage one that I love. When my wife's XL1200L cranks, it runs great. Love the pull back handlebars and wider front tire, but if they ever get the thing fixed we will probably move the controls to the foward position.

whispanic
18th December 2006, 23:54
Your in uncharted territory my friend.

The new FI's have brains that we have little knowledge about.

From what it sounds like I would lean towards a computer problem, butchaneveknow.

Adios

snowman
19th December 2006, 00:07
Your in uncharted territory my friend.

The new FI's have brains that we have little knowledge about.

From what it sounds like I would lean towards a computer problem, butchaneveknow.

Adios

I'm with Whispanic.... Get the dealer to get this bike back in their shop, make it right, then deliver it your place.........:geek:geek:geek

Screw Loose Dan
19th December 2006, 00:59
Looking at my handy dandy official electrical diagnostic manual, the first thing they suggest for "Engine Cranks, but will not start" is checking DTC's (diagnostic trouble codes). This can be found at this thread here (http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/showthread.php?t=18260) (even though it's for older models, it's the same for 07's).

The manual list the following things to try:
1. Check for DTC's (see above).
2. Check Condition of battery (that's what it says!)
3. Connect Breakout (that's a special tool to diagnose the wiring harness)
4. Check spark plug
4a. Check condition of plug
4b/c. Verify spark
5. More testing of harness
6. Something about the IAC not functioning. Try starting with throttle open, if it stalls after closing throttle, it's probably the IAC.
7. More testing of the harness (ignition circuit and FI lamp)

They also suggest checking the voltage at the TP sensor (should be => 3.8 volts).

They don't have any suggestions that I could find for intermittent starting problems like this.

Anyway, I really like reading my manual and that's the only reason I posted this. I would suggest not worrying about it, the dealer should.

I wish you luck. From what I've been reading, most of us with EFI's have been super happy with them with limited issues.

Matt
19th December 2006, 01:58
See if your state has a lemon law and if it does mention it to the dealer. If they can't fix it they may have to replace it. Hardball time! Matt

sportysrock
19th December 2006, 02:17
Doesn't sound rich enough when cold.

socal1200R
19th December 2006, 03:04
That's always been my big fear about EFI bikes. If that bike brain goes schizo, you're SOL. At least with carbed bikes, manual fuel taps, and no fuel pumps, those are three less things that the electrical gremlins can toy with...

gronk62
19th December 2006, 04:33
That's always been my big fear about EFI bikes. If that bike brain goes schizo, you're SOL. At least with carbed bikes, manual fuel taps, and no fuel pumps, those are three less things that the electrical gremlins can toy with...
Yeah but reliable fuel injection systems have been fitted as standard to cars for at least 2 decades.

There's no good reason I can think of why bike EFI should be any less reliable.

lagerdrinker
19th December 2006, 04:41

its a cranking problem not a fuel delivery problem. if a carbed bike doesnt crank, it wont start either.

rikava
19th December 2006, 05:05
Rebelsam
Man you are a little hard to follow when using the discriptions, won't start, crank, turn over, interchangabely. No wonder the dealer didn't fix it right the first time.:)