PDA

View Full Version : what's up with chaps???

dudester
22nd December 2006, 20:42
Someone please explain the fascination with chaps- everyone and their brother's always wearing them down at the local hog shop. What's the deal??
Have these folks every heard of leather bars- is that the image they're trying to portray?:frownthre I know that chaps serve a useful purpose, but enough is enough. I'm guessing that they're a badge of entry into the R.U.B. (rich urban biker) club but they look so damn cumbersome, and you know they gotta be hot, especially with all that other leather on.

Oh well, just some idle rambling on my part.

indyrednek
22nd December 2006, 20:45
If they are covered with bugs, road tar, etc, they are not RUBS.
I wear mine when it rains heavily or cold on a long ride.

DC in PHX
22nd December 2006, 20:45
Y.M.C.A. dah dah dah dadada Y.M.C.A.... whenver I see chaps on a dude I start looking for the construction worker, the Indian and the cop.

ONLY JOKING:p

Chaps are very useful for many riders. Just not my cup of tea. many a forum member has saved himself from roadrash, as you will soon read.

Now a hot chick in chaps...well....
DC

shotgun46
22nd December 2006, 20:46
i am too lazy to take em off & put em back on ! but i aint a R U B hell they look thirty years old ! and are covered in old bugs & such

shotgun46
22nd December 2006, 20:50
this one time at the bike thing where all the big bikers hang out ! there were all these wimmen with nothing on but chaps ! not even a G- string ! oh my i love chaps !

ken01976
22nd December 2006, 20:56
cause even if it says Harley Davidson on it and cost 3 bills, it's a hell of a lot cheaper than skin. I'm guessing you've never been down on yer scoot b4...

Fackler Rebel
22nd December 2006, 21:01
Just got back from a little thirty mile ride, and would have froze my legs off, if I hadn't hade my chaps. Rarely ever ride with them in the summer, but there sure are great when it's cold. Hanging mine up and looking at all the dead bugs and dings were rocks hit them. We wear them for the same reason I worn them working cattle, they protect you.

Reb

dudester
22nd December 2006, 21:03
Some good responses, and I guess a nice looking female with nothing but chaps on would certainly make me a believer! I appreciate that you all wear them for their intended purpose. I'm something of a safety freak myself but go with something a little more subtle- Icon jeans for example, and looking into Draggin' Jeans. Been down once, minor spill, hope not to do it again but I do try to dress for the crash, not the ride.
Ken- been to Godfrey, great riding but I haven't done much hanging out at the local spots- any recomendations?

AZFlyingDiver
22nd December 2006, 21:08
I wear 'em when it's cold - HUGE difference in comfort...

Now (to beat a dead horse :-), do you pronounce them "CHAPS" or "SHAAPS"?
:laugh

Casper
22nd December 2006, 21:15
...would have froze my legs off, if I hadn't had my chaps. Rarely ever ride with them in the summer, but there sure are great when it's cold.
:iagree

They ain't exactly the coolest looking biker clothing on the market, but when you're riding in 40-something weather, you'll be glad you have them on! The only ones who will say anything about it are "bikers" who showed up in their car because it was too cold to ride. They're the ones I have no respect for anyway; stop riding if you want, but show some respect for those who still are.

XL4me
22nd December 2006, 21:18
Summer -wear jeans (I should probably wear some protection...)
Winter - Joe Rocket Balistic 5.0 OverPants = Rock Tex 660 shell / 100% waterproof / Waterproof mid liner / Dual density armor in knees / Insulated liner / Full length two way leg zippers / Pre-curved legs / Sure Fit adjustable waistband / Reflective stripe .... $150.00
I can't afford GOOD Leather, don't see the point in buying CHEAP Leather ! It may look like leather, but if it's made CHEAP and offers NO Protection, I would rather buy GOOD Non-Leather with Protection.
Definitely CAN'T afford ANYTHING that says Harley - Davidson on it !

AZFlyingDiver
22nd December 2006, 21:19
Winter - Joe Rocket Balistic 5.0 OverPants = Rock Tex 660 shell / 100% waterproof / Waterproof mid liner / Dual density armor in knees / Insulated liner / Full length two way leg zippers / Pre-curved legs / Sure Fit adjustable waistband / Reflective stripe .... $150.00
I can't afford GOOD Leather, don't see the point in buying CHEAP Leather ! It may look like leather, but if it's made CHEAP and offers NO Protection, I would rather buy GOOD Non-Leather with Protection.
'cept for the Sporty itself, right? :D

cadiero
22nd December 2006, 21:20
I like chaps, worn them for years. For $50 you get great protection from spills , some from rain and some warmth.

Recently I've bought actual cold weather riding pants. They are really nice! I love them BUT, they cost 3 times what chaps do. The riding pants have knee pads to protect you. I still think chaps would be safer sliding down the highway though. I'll still wear chaps cause they are easier, but actual riding pants is nice too.

Nothing but jeans is DUMB. And special riding jeans are DUMB, cause then you need to take different clothes to change into alot of times.

AZFlyingDiver
22nd December 2006, 21:21

...overpants work better, although I actually find chaps less cumbersone...

JohnT
22nd December 2006, 21:32
I've had mine a long time. I wear them when it's cold or if I'm taking a long road trip. Great protection and I can take them off quickly whenever I get where I'm going. Overpants are probably a good idea, too, but I've never tried them. Looking 'cool' doesn't enter the equation, and wearing them just for show (into restaurants, markets, the local Harley shop, etc.) is just stupid.

Parkster
22nd December 2006, 21:52
I've had mine a long time. I wear them when it's cold or if I'm taking a long road trip. Great protection and I can take them off quickly whenever I get where I'm going. Overpants are probably a good idea, too, but I've never tried them. Looking 'cool' doesn't enter the equation, and wearing them just for show (into restaurants, markets, the local Harley shop, etc.) is just stupid.

You just hit the nail on the head in that paragraph John.

Over here in the UK chaps are deemed to be for the full on posers, the guys who will complain that their bike got wet on the 30 mile road trip ... even though its the only 30 mile the scoot has done this week.

I can see the point for long distance and poor weather riding, ANY leather is better than denim when sliding down the road, and if any of you have had the experiance of getting gravel taken out of your skin, you defo dont want to re-visit that scenario again.

For short trips into town etc, jeans or combat trousers are fine for me, the speeds are relatively slow and its my choice knowing the risk (it dont matter what your wearing if a car T bones you), but for long journeys it has to be something more substantual like kevlar and leather mix WOLF trousers, the lining is removable for summer and they are nice and light so walking is no real issue, and after all, if its that long a ride I find that I will generally be staying somewhere, so a change of clothes are usually packed.

Summary:

Chaps are NOT "YMCA" if they are used for long or poor weather rides as protection.

Chaps are great on chicks.

Chaps should be banned from R.U.B wardrobes and trendy cafe bar places where they shine more than the wine bottles on display.

The ONLY cool chaps are the aged, bug splattered and weathered chaps that have obviously seen some road miles.

I think I covered it all there and kept most folks happy ...... I know it is impossible to keep everybody happy.

:tour

JohnnyMossville
22nd December 2006, 22:00
my wife does and she looks great in them. Also, I think the whole idea is who the &%#* cares what people really think? If you like them wear them, if you don't, don't. Pretty simple.

I can definitely see where they would help in cold weather.

Joe Dirt
22nd December 2006, 22:12
Folks should wear what they want and not worry what anyone thinks, but I don't get why someone would wear something for the cold and wet that leaves your crotch and bum cold and wet. There are much better options than chaps if comfort and safety are the goals.:)

Shark Doctor
22nd December 2006, 22:23
I've had mine a long time. I wear them when it's cold or if I'm taking a long road trip. Great protection and I can take them off quickly whenever I get where I'm going. Looking 'cool' doesn't enter the equation, and wearing them just for show (into restaurants, markets, the local Harley shop, etc.) is just stupid.
Have to agree on all counts... From another perspective, almost 15 years as an EMT also convinced me that the severity of abrasions was reduced when a rider had "something" over jeans or pants, and if that was leather, or even Carhartts, the chances for reduced injuries were greatly improved. I split my life between MI and Key West, and I have seen too many times what results from riders wearing shorts... so we probably don't need to discuss that other than to mention it from the complete extreme option!

rickw2012
23rd December 2006, 00:08
i only wear mine when it is cold out. but i can say there is something about
wearing your leather chaps and jacket that really gets womans attention.
every time i go to get gas or stop somewhere woman are just aroused by
the badboy biker look.

jwb47
23rd December 2006, 01:24
when I plan on doing nothing but riding I have leather race pants that offer total protection , but if I am going to work or somewhere that i will be going inside like a resturant I wear chaps since they are easy to get off and on .

cantolina
23rd December 2006, 01:39
Someone please explain the fascination with chaps- everyone and their brother's always wearing them down at the local hog shop. What's the deal??
Have these folks every heard of leather bars- is that the image they're trying to portray?:frownthre I know that chaps serve a useful purpose, but enough is enough. I'm guessing that they're a badge of entry into the R.U.B. (rich urban biker) club but they look so damn cumbersome, and you know they gotta be hot, especially with all that other leather on.

Depends on your climate, I guess...

I love my chaps...they keep me warm, they keep my pants free of bugs, and they surround my package in a disgustingly attractive way... :laugh

In Western New York, there's only a few months to ride WITHOUT them....and one of the times I did, I -I LUV XLF!--I LUV XLF!--I LUV XLF!--I LUV XLF!--I LUV XLF!--I LUV XLF!--I LUV XLF!--I LUV XLF!- up my knee pretty good when I was hit by a deer (http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/showthread.php?threadid=8450)...

Chaps are a necessity, as far as I'm concerned.....and mine are dirty as hell....and I LIKE them that way.....

Gone
23rd December 2006, 01:43

I got a pair because my GF works at a dealership, I do a lot of cold riding, and they were dirt cheap. I sold them...when it's cold my crotch got so damn cold I thought I lost something, plus if you go down all the import stuff is not covered by leather. I found a set of FXRG leather pants on ebay for $160...couldn't pass it up, they're much better and they're leagal at the track

AZFlyingDiver
23rd December 2006, 01:51
Actually, I got regular ol' black leather chaps because they were better than these:
http://img.2dehands.nl/f/normal/13474507_7-rijlaarzen-en-jodhpurs-en-chaps.jpg

and these:
http://www.mtco.com/~barn2/chaps-jj-chad-dan-pat%20800x600.jpg

ozark
23rd December 2006, 03:06

I wear em sometimes. They stop the wind when it's chilly and gravel when it's hot on long rides. Some times I wear leather jeans. When it gets real cold I wear insulated textile motorcycle pants that zip to my jacket. I'm lucky I sell motorcycle gear so I get to try all the new stuff to see if it's good enough to sell.
The posers and non-riders may wear this gear to make a fashion statement. The veteran riders wear it because it's functional and don't give a damn what people think. you can usually tell the difference.

birdmove
23rd December 2006, 04:59
I actually started a thread here on another area called "whats the deal with chaps anyway" or some such. My problem with people talking about protection in an accident, is that your butts hangin out there.I figure if the rest of me is worth protecting, then my butt sure as hell is too.I'd look even stupider than I do if I was buttless.
I don't care what anyone wheres, its just that I wouldn't wear chaps, I'd get leather full pants instead.I've seen lots of films of road racers sliding along the pavement on their backs at high speeds.As long as they don't start tumbling, they usually just wait until the stop, get up, and walk away.But if they had a big area with no protection where their butts are, they'd have a big problem.
One hyper-sensitive soul got irate as hell about me even questioning the value of chaps and spit fire at me and called me names and such.
Now, chaps on the ladys-thats another story.......

jon in Puyallup

willprevale
23rd December 2006, 05:47
Never cared much for chaps except when riding in a dry cold...and I mean dry. If ya ever get leather chaps wet... yech!

ozark
23rd December 2006, 05:53
I actually started a thread here on another area called "whats the deal with chaps anyway" or some such. My problem with people talking about protection in an accident, is that your butts hangin out there.I figure if the rest of me is worth protecting, then my butt sure as hell is too.I'd look even stupider than I do if I was buttless.
I don't care what anyone wheres, its just that I wouldn't wear chaps, I'd get leather full pants instead.I've seen lots of films of road racers sliding along the pavement on their backs at high speeds.As long as they don't start tumbling, they usually just wait until the stop, get up, and walk away.But if they had a big area with no protection where their butts are, they'd have a big problem.
One hyper-sensitive soul got irate as hell about me even questioning the value of chaps and spit fire at me and called me names and such.
Now, chaps on the ladys-thats another story.......

jon in Puyallup

I'm guesin that chaps offer minimal protection in a skid. Better than nothing over your jeans but I'm pretty sure your ass takes a beating.

A good pair of textile or leather motorcycle pants can make a big difference.

As far as people who act bad-ass over the Internet. I think they fall into the same category as people who write on bath room walls.

Ladies in chaps; one of my favorite things! Extra points if their wearing a thong.

obinella
23rd December 2006, 06:02
Ladies in chaps; one of my favorite things! Extra points if their wearing a thong.
o lord yes, talk about framing the package

Webmistress
23rd December 2006, 07:19
Are you saying that people are wearing chaps when it's hot outside or something?? I wear my chaps regularly this time of year when it's cool to cold... in fact, I wear full leathers whenever the weather is cool enough to allow me to wear them comfortably. Not for style or whatever; I've had the same chaps forever, a no-name brand that I got cheap at a no-name bike shop years ago. My chaps and jacket (and boots and gloves) are for cold, rain, and pavement protection.

That being said, it still baffles me at how often people (mostly teenage girls) will coo, "Ooooh, what a cuuuute outfit! Where'd you get it?" I usually mumble something stupid like, "Uh, I can't remember," but sheesh! What are they thinking? An "OUTFIT"??

santansporty
23rd December 2006, 07:32
Chaps help keep your knees warm... hate cold knees...

rokclmb
23rd December 2006, 14:07
I'll wear them if the weather is cold. The biggest problem I've ever had with them was when I spent the day riding and had to go right to the church Christmas concert last year. The problem was that I had been riding in the rain. When I got to church, it looked like I had wet my pants:o .

My chaps are "Harley-Davidson";) that I bought at a leather shop in an area of Soeul, South Korea that is famous for "genuine" name brand merchandise;)

DustyJacket
23rd December 2006, 23:25
I was wearing thick H-D chaps today. (I bought them off someone here on the XLforum). I was leading our BACA chapter to various abused kids houses to deliver Christmas presents.

I almost missed a turn and took it too fast and wide and hit some of that real sharp "cheese grater" gravel and went down. I slid for 10-15 feet through this gravel and asphalt, on my side.

The chaps got really dirty and scratched up, but that thick leather made it through like a champ. My jacket, on the other hand, was soft leather, and lost about half its thickness of leather. Both items did their job, and therefore I have all my skin.

Chaps are OK in my book.

4banger
24th December 2006, 00:19
I was wearing thick H-D chaps today. (I bought them off someone here on the XLforum). I was leading our BACA chapter to various abused kids houses to deliver Christmas presents.

I almost missed a turn and took it too fast and wide and hit some of that real sharp "cheese grater" gravel and went down. I slid for 10-15 feet through this gravel and asphalt, on my side.

The chaps got really dirty and scratched up, but that thick leather made it through like a champ. My jacket, on the other hand, was soft leather, and lost about half its thickness of leather. Both items did their job, and therefore I have all my skin.

Chaps are OK in my book.
Glad to hear your okay, hope your story lets the people that keep asking why we wear chaps understand that they are not a style statement.

jnlee3
10th January 2007, 08:18
I'll be picking some chaps up as soon as I can gather the funds. I realize it is much cheaper than even the ride to the ER. Worked in bicycle shops for years and have seen many people tore up even at those speeds from hitting the ground.

Phelan
10th January 2007, 08:59
:iagree

They ain't exactly the coolest looking biker clothing on the market, but when you're riding in 40-something weather, you'll be glad you have them on! The only ones who will say anything about it are "bikers" who showed up in their car because it was too cold to ride. They're the ones I have no respect for anyway; stop riding if you want, but show some respect for those who still are.

40-something? try 20-something here. Particularly when I have to open so I have to be at work at 5 AM. Was 4 AM until they changed the store hours last week. I ride everyday and my chaps were given to me 12-23-06 and they make a HUGE difference.

thescreenman
10th January 2007, 16:08
Had a pair of brown swade ones for the long runs years ago 70s,they worked and lasted till i got to fat.My age today a long ride for me is 200 miles and i can handle that plus at 40f the wheel comes in.Just put her in the basement two days ago.And winter is half over.Great riding this season,now to start looking for the snow shovel.Back then it was hardtail and breakdowns,also kidney belts.Are they in fashion yet?

Reaper6
11th January 2007, 00:10
Cold late Fall, Winter, cold early Spring wouldn't ride without them. Also in 35 years I have been down 4 times, two of them with chaps...those two times they helped alot!

KC_Sporty_Gal
11th January 2007, 01:03
I wear chaps. They keep me warm. But I'm a chick so according to y'all it's ok. ;)

JohnnyMossville
11th January 2007, 01:36
I'd encourage the ladies with chaps here model them, take pics, and post them for us to ponder.

jimbro
11th January 2007, 02:28
Ah, musta been Itaewon

thatbikerguy
11th January 2007, 02:39
Rarely ever ride with them in the summer, but there sure are great when it's cold.

Reb
:clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :smoke

tstoeckel
11th January 2007, 02:58
Chaps are good for a little insulation from the cold and for deflecting rocks and crap that fly up off the road. Once the temperature drops below 40*, chaps are no longer much help with the cold. I rode with chaps for a long time and recently bought a pair of Tourmaster Caliber pants and I may never go back to chaps.

The Caliber pants offer: body armor at the knees, padding around hips, a removable, quilted liner that ACTUALLY DOES keep my legs warm at stupid cold temps, and the ability to wear them over almost anything (shorts, jeans, slacks, etc). A little more cumbersome but well worth it on the long hauls and the freezing cold hauls. Oh, and all this comes at a price tag at or less than most chaps.

shortysporty05
11th January 2007, 03:24
i only wear mine when it is cold out. but i can say there is something about
wearing your leather chaps and jacket that really gets womans attention.
every time i go to get gas or stop somewhere woman are just aroused by
the badboy biker look.

Pics please.:clap :clap

gammaqueen
11th January 2007, 03:27
I like to wear mine only when it's cold. I don't like the look, but they make a huge difference in comfort.

shortysporty05
11th January 2007, 03:30
Seriously, I wear my chaps when it is below 75 degrees, we often ride in the mountains where it is much colder. I have gotten some pretty funny looks from other riders though:p .

I check the temps then subtract 20 degrees and if it's less than 80-75 I usually wear them. I hate to be cold and can always strip them off:wonderlan

MisterB
11th January 2007, 03:42
I haven't read all the responses, but personally I don't care for chaps. They do serve a purpose, but they literally leave a gaping hole in the crotch and rear end. These are two areas I'd prefer to keep warm and dry. Go for some thick motorcycle specific leather pants for the colder rides.

Sporting Lad
11th January 2007, 03:57
Already alot of worthwhile opinions on this thread, but here's mine anyway_
:frownthre a) Last November I found myself going 40 mph on my knees. I was wearing jeans because I was only going for a short ride, and I wasn't "planning" on going down. Here's just one of the things I learned from the experience: Having the skin ripped off your knees really hurts for a long time! Months even.
:laugh b) The Village People did not invent chaps.
:geek c) It seems that, in The States, it's pronounced "chaps" (as in chapped lips)
whereas in Canada it's pronounced "shaps" (French influence?).
:wonderlan d) There are things done behind closed doors by consenting adults that,
if I had to explain it to you, you wouldn't understand.

Motorpsykler
11th January 2007, 04:23
I guess chaps are ok for weather protection. But I see them as seriously lacking in pavement protection. I wear an Aerostich Roadcrafter one piece suit in all but the hottest weather. It provides excellent weather protection and VERY good abrasion protection, in my opinion, only full on race leathers are better. I can put it on or take it off in less than 10 seconds.
It doesn't fit into the HD dress code, but I don't care. I ride my Sporty because I like it, not because I want to participate in the Harley biker lifestyle.

dbd_1964
11th January 2007, 04:37
One day I went for an early morning ride in mid December. My legs froze, I stopped at local gas station and warmed up for about a half hour. When I got back home I drove to the local HD and bought chaps. No more freezing, they work and provide protection that blue jeans and sure as hell skin doesn't.

jnlee3
11th January 2007, 06:48
I still don't understand what the big deal is with the "look". I would rather lose a little skin off my rear than my legs. They are easy to put on and take off and can be worn over shorts or jeans or other layers for cold. I, for one, will wear them as much as possible for the very reason Sporting Lad mentioned above; I would like to keep the skin on my knees.

Besides, I'm already married and don't need to impress anyone with my looks. I like to ride and come home in one peice in order to ride again.

Gone
18th January 2007, 04:03
What gets me is the people that are loitering around the stealerships in chaps that drove up in cagers to buy a H-D T-shirts and brag about their bike and spew TAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL tales to anyone that will listen:wtf

Seeing a guy hop out of a Volvo wearing fringed chaps in a Texas summer and hop back in it and leaving while waiting for my to bike to be serviced is just weird to me!

FSZEKE302
18th January 2007, 04:28
I wear chaps when the air temp is below 50d. It's not about the look or I would have spent more than 50 bucks for mine. It's about riding 10-15 miles uncomfortable or as long as want with relative comfort. They're cheap, easy to carry and quick to put on and off. I don't wear them unless it's cool and, as stated by RC, wet they are worse than useless. What they do is add weeks, if not months, worth of days to my riding season. :tour

XL4me
18th January 2007, 05:11
What gets me is the people that are loitering around the stealerships in chaps that drove up in cagers to buy a H-D T-shirts and brag about their bike and spew TAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL tales to anyone that will listen:wtf

Seeing a guy hop out of a Volvo wearing fringed chaps in a Texas summer and hop back in it and leaving while waiting for my to bike to be serviced is just weird to me!

:smiliesig :lolsign :lmaorof :laugh ....that's funny !! Sad, probably not pretty, but funny......

Not into chaps myself, but love to see women wearing them :D !

When cold, I wear Joe Rocket 5.0 Balistic Pants (if really cold with thermals on underneath....) I hate cold :censor !

Moved On / My Own Choice
18th January 2007, 21:53
I still don't understand what the big deal is with the "look". I would rather lose a little skin off my rear than my legs. They are easy to put on and take off and can be worn over shorts or jeans or other layers for cold. I, for one, will wear them as much as possible for the very reason Sporting Lad mentioned above; I would like to keep the skin on my knees.

Besides, I'm already married and don't need to impress anyone with my looks. I like to ride and come home in one peice in order to ride again.

MY PROBLEM with Chaps is that you LOOK like you want to loose some skin off your REAR OR PACKAGE.

Before I KNEW ANY BETTER I wore chaps.

But before long I realized I needed a better solution.

1. My crotch and ass got wet when it rained.
2. My crotch f'n FROOZE in the winter time (like little daggers digging into your crotch at temps below freezing, even behind the RK windshield).
3. My hip and knee got pretty bruised on a low-side.

And so, I looked into riding overpants.

My Aerostich Darien pants are

1. Waterproof.
2. Insulating (though I tend to combine them with fleece lined jeans for freezing temps).
3. Armored.
4. Have full length zips up the sides and can be worn over anything from shorts to jeans.

I've frickin' skied in them (when I was a horrible skiier and spent much of the time utilizing their waterproofness and body armor).

There is NOT A SINGLE THING THAT CHAPS DO BETTER than a good pair of overpants!!!!

So if looks aren't the thing.

Then WHY would someone settle for chaps when there are such better options available?

The ASSumption those of us who prefer better gear make is Ignorance or Apathy.

Either they don't know enough or care enough. Now it could be cost too, but come on, there are less expensive riding pants than Aerostich, I've seen decent pairs as low as $80 from newenough.com but even at $200-300, amortize that over a decade or more, and you realize that decent gear is worth it.

Buy the good stuff ONCE.

At least that's my recommendation.

PS, I still have my old Chaps hanging in the closet, with one of my old leather jackets. I can't seem to bring myself to get rid of them for some nostalgic reason. However about the only time I ever wear them anymore is when I need a Halloween costume.

SaltLick
18th January 2007, 22:04
Theres other pants out there to wear, which protect you and your skin better than chaps, the bottom line is people wear them because it fits with the harley image. I have a pair of overpants that have armour, are water proof and would protect me alot better in an accident and cost a hell of alot less than chaps. It goes with the same thought pattern as why do guys wear half helmets when a full helmet protects better? Its because of the image, it goes with a harley a full face does not. People can go on and on about how they can see better in a half helmet and whatever....they just dont want to admit a fullface helmet looks funny while your riding a harley and thats why they dont wear one. hell i wear a german helmet and not a full face cause i think it fits the harley thing, at least ill admit it.

Moved On / My Own Choice
18th January 2007, 22:22
Theres other pants out there to wear, which protect you and your skin better than chaps, the bottom line is people wear them because it fits with the harley image. I have a pair of overpants that have armour, are water proof and would protect me alot better in an accident and cost a hell of alot less than chaps. It goes with the same thought pattern as why do guys wear half helmets when a full helmet protects better? Its because of the image, it goes with a harley a full face does not. People can go on and on about how they can see better in a half helmet and whatever....they just dont want to admit a fullface helmet looks funny while your riding a harley and thats why they dont wear one. hell i wear a german helmet and not a full face cause i think it fits the harley thing, at least ill admit it.

I see the helmet thing differently than I see the chap thing.

A 3/4 or half helmet offers a MUCH different visceral experience than a full face.

I wear a full-face about 1/3 of the year, it's weather (temperature and moisture) dependent.

It's an Arai.

It's F'n comfortable.

But it's not the same.

It's a little better if I keep the shield open.

but it's still not the same.

It was so warm a week or two ago we went for a ride in 3/4 helmets and WOAH, how frickin' nice that was.

I look at the 3/4 as a compromise. It offers 90% of the visceralness of the half-helmet with 75% or so of the protection of the full-face.

Still a compromise, but not a bad one.

Again, I see no such "functional" benefit with Chaps.

Which is why I see the two differently.

K

Sporting Lad
19th January 2007, 07:01
What gets me is the people that are loitering around the stealerships in chaps that drove up in cagers to buy a H-D T-shirts

The reason them boys loiter, wear fringed chaps, and drive Volvoes is 'cause they's all HOMOES! :laugh :shhhh ;)

Wildchild
19th January 2007, 07:17
I love my chaps, and generally only use them for their true purpose. When it's 37* out and you're on 2 wheels, they can be your very best friend! The fringes have a purpose. They 'wick' the rain away from you when you're riding. The only time I wear them for any other reason is sometimes at the bike rallies, but only at night when it's cooler. Usually with something sexy underneath. Never had anyone complain, either. :p I do know what you're saying though. One time we were at a bar late evening and it was extremely cold out. We see this guy in chaps and think it's incredible that he rode! We happen to leave the same time as he did and watched him climb onto...his truck seat. Poseur!

Hot Rod Sporty
31st January 2007, 19:48
I guess everyone has their opinion. I wear chaps in the cold weather because otherwise, my knees get cold and ache. I did have to take my sporty in for service recently and it started raining on the way. I didn't wear the rain gear that day sooo, yea my crotch was soaked by the time I got there. Riding home was....unpleasantly cold in that region. I've only worn the rain gear twice in 2 years. I don't really like riding in the rain, so I don't do it much.
I haven't been able to make myself wear leather pants, yet. THAT's what I envision when I think of the gay leather bar thing, so I don't think I'll go there. Besides, my gf thinks they make my butt look good, so I think I'll keep wearing my chaps...at least when it's cold enough. I know I love they her round little butt looks in her chaps!
By the way, Wildchild, is that YOU in your avatar? You're makin' me crazy!:p

bzj14s
12th February 2007, 04:36
Chaps equal at least two layers of long johns for heat and wind chill.

rshute4
12th February 2007, 04:45
do they make chap-kinis? just for your nuts?

jprior
12th February 2007, 04:50
c) It seems that, in The States, it's pronounced "chaps" (as in chapped lips)
whereas in Canada it's pronounced "shaps" (French influence?).
:wonderlan

I've never called, or heard them been called "shaps" in my life. :doh

Maybe it's French Canadians? ...not French influence, or just you crazy West Coast guys. :D ;)

jnlee3
13th February 2007, 02:40
Sorry Kev, I might regret this in coming days but I bought some chaps for $40 on ebay. I checked them out before hand and they usually went for $240 so I figured I couldn't go terribly wrong.

Since then I have ridden in them a few times in the low 30's and must say I am quite pleased with them. My hands are now the coldest thing during these cold rides and I can walk when I get off my bike because my knees aren't frozen.

Like I said, if I lose a chunk of arse in a fall I might regret not bucking up and buying some nice overpants but until then I am happy with my chaps. At this point I have to get in on the cheap side as I have other costs coming that I must take care of and still wanted to protect myself from the cold.

I'm happy with my cheek-showers for now. :)

YO MUDA
13th February 2007, 05:46
I sure was glad I had my chaps on ridin 70mph threw the flatlands of Kan and Neb. Them damn bugs can hurt.
Muda

doxbike
13th February 2007, 05:54
I've never called, or heard them been called "shaps" in my life. :doh

Maybe it's French Canadians? ...not French influence, or just you crazy West Coast guys. :D ;)

Unless you're talkin' 'bout Ralph Lauren after shave or living on Rodeo Drive, it's "shaps". In Montana that would be Ro-d-o, not Ro-day-o, thank you very much.:headbang

ecworks
13th February 2007, 06:13
Even a small rock or bug at 70 mph HURTS!!!
Happens to me at least 3 times a week. I gave in and ordered a pair from Fox Creek Leather. Should be here in a week. None too soon.

04ctd
20th February 2007, 05:28
i got a few pairs of flannel pajama pants for Christmas for some reason (used to live in Nebraska, maybe they been holding them?)

anyways, with flannel pajama pants on,
regular levi's
cheap thick leather chaps,
thick socks & calf high work boots,

my hands are only thing cold.

i LIKE riding in the cold for some weird reason.

Sporting Lad
21st February 2007, 03:51
i got a few pairs of flannel pajama pants for Christmas
i LIKE riding in the cold for some weird reason.

I don't get it. Are you saying you took your jammies and cut out the behind and the crotches? :yikes That must look sweet at bedtimes! Hey, who needs leather when you got a flannel fetish?? :spank Tell us more, eh?

sportysrock
21st February 2007, 03:56
:laugh :laugh :laugh

Actually I dig my chaps. One of the best buys I made so far.
I have Hot Leathers brand, unlined ones.

04ctd
22nd February 2007, 04:51
I don't get it. Are you saying you took your jammies and cut out the behind and the crotches? :yikes That must look sweet

DOH! ya got me!! :tour

nah, i just wear them under my blue jeans, and with the flannel, jeans, and chaps, i can barely move, but i can stay warm for extended rides.

but, since you gave me the idea, might trim up an old pair to see what the OL thinks :clap

Sporting Lad
22nd February 2007, 04:56
Well, if Hot Leathers make your butt look big, try pulling a pair of
flannel p.j. bottoms on over top of them and see how that looks.
You could be the new male version of Madonna! :danceele

sportysrock
22nd February 2007, 05:07
Well, if Hot Leathers make your butt look big, try pulling a pair of
flannel p.j. bottoms on over top of them and see how that looks.
You could be the new male version of Madonna! :danceele

:laugh :laugh :laugh

PilotCFI
24th February 2007, 14:09
I agree that 'chaps' not shaps is the way to go in cold weather. Here in North Alabama it's getting warmer (50's) and chaps and padded gauntlet gloves are going to be put away 'till it's cold again.

My question is gloves. I'd like some suggestions on full finger leather gloves for the milder temps as well as the hotter 'n hell and wet temps we get in the summer. I've looked at Fox Creek and Leather-Up. Leather-Ups prices are good but I like the idea of deer or elk leather in an unlined glove. From there I don't know where to go for full finger summer gloves. Perf'd leather maybe? I will wear gloves, bear hands are not an option for me.

Cool boots would be another thing I'd be interested in. That's cool as in temperature. At 64 comfort, safety and functionality are first, cool isn't a major consideration but is a consideration.

As we say in airplanes..... keep the greasy side down. Thanks in advance for the help.

Vegas1200C
24th February 2007, 14:19
I finally heard them called "shaps" in the documentary "Long Way Round". The show was an amazing journey made by Ewan McGregor and a buddy of his riding BMW's from Scottland to NYC through Europe, Mongolia, Russia and on through the worst roads or lack there of. When they got to Canada a guy called them "shaps" thereby verifying that it isn't a real word. It should be pronounced "chaps" like normal people from real english speaking countries.

superwarden
24th February 2007, 14:40
Chaps have many homes, the blue oyster bar (Think Village people), riding on a horse, on a bike, or for all the RUBs and posers out there. Every person has their own reason that they think they need them. I personally like mine, paid 70 bucks for them and had them custom fitted by a very hot french lady that I taught how to ride motorcycles. I used to wear them only when cold, but now I rarely leave home without them..and they show the wear...

trosga1
24th February 2007, 19:34
I agree that 'chaps' not shaps is the way to go in cold weather. Here in North Alabama it's getting warmer (50's) and chaps and padded gauntlet gloves are going to be put away 'till it's cold again.

My question is gloves. I'd like some suggestions on full finger leather gloves for the milder temps as well as the hotter 'n hell and wet temps we get in the summer. I've looked at Fox Creek and Leather-Up. Leather-Ups prices are good but I like the idea of deer or elk leather in an unlined glove. From there I don't know where to go for full finger summer gloves. Perf'd leather maybe? I will wear gloves, bear hands are not an option for me.

Cool boots would be another thing I'd be interested in. That's cool as in temperature. At 64 comfort, safety and functionality are first, cool isn't a major consideration but is a consideration.

As we say in airplanes..... keep the greasy side down. Thanks in advance for the help.

Pilot, try these folks out www.chilhowee.net. They're based up in Grants Pass OR and I've had great service from them. I've bought both chaps and gloves for my wife and they are fast, friendly, and in the case of the gloves (which didn't fit) their return/exchange policy is very good. greg

04ctd
25th February 2007, 06:08
My question is gloves. I'd like some suggestions on full finger leather gloves for the milder temps as well as the hotter 'n hell and wet temps we get in the summer.

Cool boots would be another thing I'd be interested in. That's cool as in temperature.

for summer gloves in Georgia, I wore mechanics gloves,
you can get the impact style with the padded palms.
the wind can usually penetrate these gloves, and they are full fingered, so they will let you on military bases with them on.

Bates Lightweight Uniform boots have nylon/ballistic sides, and when i put my feet over the pegs, and turn them sideways, the air will push thru the nylon.

they also have zippers on the side, so you don't have to untie them, and some wind gets in the zipper.
buy them on any Navy base - in the tennis shoe section, since they are not uniform spec, but are worn by everyone.

you have to pull the liner out, and put in a thick Dr Scholls gel pad to make them comfy to walk in.

Weo
25th February 2007, 06:35
I certainly understand the "style" argument, but if you're not wearing chaps because you think it "looks" weird then you're being just as shallow as those that wear it because they think it looks cool.

In all honesty, I've thought about getting chaps for cold weather, but never bought them because they were expensive. I usually just put some camping/jogging goretex pants over my jeans when it rains, but they offer no protection if I was ever to dump my bike.

Sporting Lad
25th February 2007, 08:35
:geek Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1) - Cite This Source
chaps /tʃęps, ʃęps/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[chaps,:p shaps] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–noun (used with a plural verb)
a pair of joined leather leggings, often widely flared, worn over trousers, esp. by cowboys, as protection against burs, rope burns, etc., while on horseback.
Also called chaparajos, chaparejos.

[Origin: 1810–20, Americanism; short for chaparajos]
Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1)
Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2006.
American Heritage Dictionary - Cite This Source
chap 1 (chāp) Pronunciation Key
v. chapped, chap·ping, chaps

v. tr.
To cause (the skin) to roughen, redden, or crack, especially as a result of cold or exposure: The headwind chapped the cyclist's lips.

v. intr.
To split or become rough and sore: skin that chaps easily in winter.

n. A sore roughening or splitting of the skin, caused especially by cold or exposure.

[Middle English chappen.]

The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
Copyright © 2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company.
Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.
chap 2 (chāp) Pronunciation Key
n. Informal
A man or boy; a fellow.

[Short for chapman.]

The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
Copyright © 2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company.
Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.
chaps (chāps, shāps :banana ) Pronunciation Key
pl.n. Heavy leather trousers without a seat, worn over ordinary trousers by ranch hands to protect their legs.

[Short for American Spanish chaparreras, from Spanish chaparro, chaparral; see chaparral.]

(

Big_Baazzoo
25th February 2007, 08:37
Dude, if you have to ask, you wouldn't understand.

PilotCFI
25th February 2007, 17:54
04ctd,

Thanks - I am retired Army ( you can't swing a dead cat around here without hitting one of us) and I teach flying on Redstone Arsenal. Your advice is much appreciated.

Thanks.

PilotCFI
25th February 2007, 17:57
trosga1,
Thanks. I did just order the gel pad deerskin gloves from Chilhowee. I'd forgotten that I'd ordered chaps from them.

trosga1
25th February 2007, 18:42
trosga1,
Thanks. I did just order the gel pad deerskin gloves from Chilhowee. I'd forgotten that I'd ordered chaps from them.

No prob Pilot. My wife's replacement gloves came yesterday and the fit perfect. One neat thing about the deerskin gloves is you can wash 'em if they get dirty. Hope you like yours. greg

Danny3nose
25th February 2007, 19:15
Iron Mick once gave me a useful piece of advice:
"If I'm traveling more than a half hour away from home I always pack the rain gear and chaps..."

I wear em when it's cold or the possibility of being cold, and always have em on long trips. Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

But, I also pack wayyyy too much stuff when traveling, and if you've ever been on a trip with me you can attest to the amount of crap I load the sporty down with... I like to be prepared...

Old_Goat57
25th February 2007, 19:43
It was 42 degrees and threatening rain when I started out yesterday for an hour ride to my destination, bought what I needed, then an hour back. I hit rain about halfway back, and pulled over to slip on a rain jacket over my good leather jacket.

My cheap, thin $50 chaps made the difference between cold, wet legs and a comfortable ride. I also have some 25-year old HD original chaps a friend gave me.

When it's 90 degrees out, I don't think I will wear them for an easy ride of an hour or 2, but if the ride is longer, or bugs are anticipated, you bet, I'll put them on.

Besides...do I really care if someone thinks I'm a RUB, Poser, or whatever other labels come to mind? Nope!

BT riders think I should trade up, crotch rocket riders think I should speed up, and everyone else thinks I should grow up...

If I was trying to make THEM happy, I'd need to be in therapy, right?

Oh yeah...I am ...it's called Sportster Therapy!

04ctd
25th February 2007, 22:56
I am retired Army .
here ya go, saw that you were Army, knew you would need help.... :banana
ole retired navy fart here, ain't much help for me....

http://www.actiongear.com/cgi-bin/tame.exe/agcatalog/level4s.tam?cart=07B25qwq.msi&lpg=%2Fagcatalog%2Fresults%2Etam&lpt=1172438794&xax=29360&M5COPY%2Ectx=29440&M5%2Ectx=29440&M2%5FDESC%2Ectx=Boots%20%2D%20Waterproof%2C%20Safe ty%20Boots%2C%20Side%20Zips&level3%2Ectx=results%2Etam&query%2Ectx=bates%20boots&backto=%2Fagcatalog%2Fresults%2Etam

they are are nice, but the insole is HORRIBLE. they are steel toe also

BATES® ENFORCER SERIES® ULTRA-LITES MEN’S 8" TACTICAL SPORT SIDE ZIP BOOT

if you HAVE to wear boots to work, these are awesome, we would have hour long meetings, i would just reach down, unzip my boots, slide the feet around, and relax the dogs while everyone complained.

my wife hates wearing chaps, so i put some of my thick sweat pants in the bags for her, if she got cold, she can pull my sweat pants on over her boots, and keep on riding. chaps are a pain to put on (esp if you got fat since you bought them.....)

Notabiker
25th February 2007, 23:33
There have been a few trips last year when I would have given a left (choose one: nut or boob) to have a pair. Man it gets cold in NJ! So came across a good leather, cheap price pair in Atlantic City at the cycle show last September and grabbed 'em, hell who cares if some think I'm a sissy RUB I hate freezin my balls/boobs off!

OH and my DH wears but usually only in January and February when he rides, like today for instance.

PilotCFI
26th February 2007, 02:23
here ya go, saw that you were Army, knew you would need help.... :banana

Somebody needs to. Thanks.:clap :clap

PilotCFI
26th February 2007, 02:26
hell who cares if some think I'm a sissy RUB I hate freezin my balls/boobs off!.

Amen. I think they look a little goofy but we do what do and don't really care what anyone else thinks. I'd rather look goofy and be warm. At my advanced age and weight I can look goofy without chaps anyway.:laugh

Moved On / My Own Choice
26th February 2007, 04:18
Sorry Kev, I might regret this in coming days but I bought some chaps for $40 on ebay. I checked them out before hand and they usually went for $240 so I figured I couldn't go terribly wrong.

Since then I have ridden in them a few times in the low 30's and must say I am quite pleased with them. My hands are now the coldest thing during these cold rides and I can walk when I get off my bike because my knees aren't frozen.

Like I said, if I lose a chunk of arse in a fall I might regret not bucking up and buying some nice overpants but until then I am happy with my chaps. At this point I have to get in on the cheap side as I have other costs coming that I must take care of and still wanted to protect myself from the cold.

I'm happy with my cheek-showers for now. :)

Hard to argue with $40 as oppossed to $100-300 for overpants if you need to save some money. And Chaps are still better than riding in Jeans only from a safety standpoint (which I do pretty often)... so I totally get it.

jprior
26th February 2007, 04:39
Been looking at some Tourmaster Caliber pants. They seem to be pretty decent for the price, and in comparison to other similiar pants.
Anyone have any experience with them?

My CHaps are too small... and I don't think I'll buy another pair.

Snuffy
26th February 2007, 18:17
Where chaps regarless of the temperature but only when I'm on a trip, around town usually just jeans. Did buy a pair of fleece lined Carhart jeans and with chaps 30 degrees and above in chilly weather makes for a warm ride.

trosga1
27th February 2007, 00:53
Has anyone tried these Jeans out? I like the idea of the added protection without being obvious about it.

http://www.dragginjeans.com/Jeans.htm

PilotCFI
27th February 2007, 02:09
Has anyone tried these Jeans out? I like the idea of the added protection without being obvious about it.

http://www.dragginjeans.com/Jeans.htm

I ordered a pair. Seemed to be well made. Fit at the waist and was too small in the butt. Usually if things fit my waist (which is too large) my butts not a problem. It may have been the armor, but I got my money back. Their return policy works fine and they may work for you. If have seen testimonials on this forum where they worked as advertised.

Good Luck.

XL4me
30th June 2007, 16:40

...overpants work better, although I actually find chaps less cumbersone...

sorry, I just somehow never made it back to this thread.....

got the Sporty, H-D boots, some real H-D P&A... AND Way Toooooo many T-shirts.....

a question, so chaps will block direct wind, but if ya hit the pavement and slide would they just twist up and rip off or hang on like leather pants ??
At couple of bike show, they have had them for $45 - $50..... thought about them a couple times. (and were not talking H-D @ that price :laugh ) Textile pants are supposed to hang tough for "X" amount of slide, but may not do as good as real leather pants.

Also, if yer talking about full on "cold" weather riding, go to aerostich.com
Yeah, that have all that neon "high - viz" colored stuff, but they have black as well. I have both black and high-viz stuff.

merc
30th June 2007, 16:51

let me ask this....why is everyone that wears chaps a RUB? or someone that rides a new bike a rub or this guy is a RUB or that one because he has a nice helmet or blah blah blah
How long have you been riding? Are you a 1%? Are you some kind of tough ass bad b iker that everyone else must be a phonet week end pretender? Or your not a RUB because you are poor? What the hell I am sick of it . Leave the bikers that do not measur doun to your standards alone and let them be who they are and ride without your ridicule.

Phew..that's my rant for the day
at least until I get started on the Islamics, and the gun control a-holes and the ------you fill in the blanks

Old_Goat57
1st July 2007, 17:14
I have not seen many Harley riders wearing the textile riding suits, but, it is really a matter of each rider's personal preference, just like half helmets, fingerless gloves, and wild paint jobs.

For me, chaps are a great design with 3 big advantages:

1. The leather offers any protection from bugs, stones, cold, and especially road rash if it ever happens before my skin has to suffer the damage.

2. They can be put on and taken off without removing boots, pants, etc.

3. They can be folded flat or rolled up in a "tube" and they don't take up a lot of space

I wear mine whenever the temperature is below 60 or if I will be on a the highway for any longer than just a casual pleasure ride. I have worn them when it's 90+ degrees out and they are perfectly comfortable.

I am not always a fan for HD-branded merchandise, because of the price and the fact that if I am smart enough to buy and ride a Harley, I am NOT so dumb that I believe I can ONLY use what the HD factory says I should.

It's a bit of rebellion in me, I guess.

883rnh
6th July 2007, 05:10
Ok with all this talk about chaps let's see some pictures of you handsome guys of XLFORUM in them:banana :banana :banana :banana

ReddTigger
6th July 2007, 05:32
Ok with all this talk about chaps let's see some pictures of you handsome guys of XLFORUM in them:banana :banana :banana :banana

I think there are some here........
http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/showpost.php?p=799312&postcount=98

unfiguroutable
6th July 2007, 09:16
i like warm water proff pant for bad weather. chaps keep the legs warm but yould freeze yur ballz off! Now i have seen a few girls in the iicon moto chaps that ride jap bikes. whoohoo!

MagikalDragon
6th July 2007, 09:54
Some good responses, and I guess a nice looking female with nothing but chaps on would certainly make me a believer! I appreciate that you all wear them for their intended purpose. I'm something of a safety freak myself but go with something a little more subtle- Icon jeans for example, and looking into Draggin' Jeans. Been down once, minor spill, hope not to do it again but I do try to dress for the crash, not the ride.
Ken- been to Godfrey, great riding but I haven't done much hanging out at the local spots- any recomendations?

those jeans are fine for city driving aka commuting... but once you hit the freeway its another story.

i wear my chaps on the freeway. and my icons everyday to work.

unfiguroutable
6th July 2007, 09:58
those jeans are fine for city driving aka commuting... but once you hit the freeway its another story.

i wear my chaps on the freeway. and my icons everyday to work.

this thread is worthless with out photos. Hi dragon

MagikalDragon
6th July 2007, 09:59
this thread is worthless with out photos. Hi dragon

i wore full leathers today in 80degree weather for a 45min drive to visit my family.

wont get on the freeway without my chaps.

Goshawk
6th July 2007, 10:30
I don't have a pair of leather chaps but I can see how they would help protect your legs in a crash and keep your legs warmer. I went to one HOG meeting and everyone was dressed the same right down to the leather vest and patches. One woman even commented to them " You guys all look alike..." I thought that was kind of sad. Cattle covered in leather. What a concept. :rolleyes:

mikgordon
6th July 2007, 11:57
I have a set for the cooler riding days. They are 10 years old and roll up nicely into my saddlebag. I dont wear them on hot days because I use them like a tool and not some damn fashion show. Oh yeah, and Harley didnt make them either. I buy from the local leather shops. Support the small business with quality merchandise.

dcorkie2
13th July 2007, 08:01
My current chaps are about 4 years old, bug covered and all. I like the added protection and they keep my legs warm in the cool/cold weather. Sorry guys, but the thong is covered up by my favorite pair of riding blue jeans. LOL!

As far as Bates boots. Whoever was interested, esp if you can't get on a military base/post, check out Galls.com.

Gone
13th July 2007, 21:51
chaps are for fellows who is afraid of a little road rash, except for ladies who wear them with little or nothing to back them up, if you follow my dirft.

XL 50
13th July 2007, 22:47
Chaps are an excellent item to go along with studs, fringe, bandanas, tatoos, earings, spurs, nose rings, vests loaded with pins, fingerless gloves, etc. What the hay, do you want 'em to think we ride mopeds?