PDA

View Full Version : Hi-point firearms?

doc
2nd January 2007, 20:55
Anybody know anything about these? I got to lookin and they are inexpensive, but I want to know if the quality is cheap. Here's a link:http://www.hi-pointfirearms.com/

raysheen
2nd January 2007, 21:58
I used to hear nothing but bad things about them, but lately I've heard nothing but good things about their carbines...can't comment on the pistols though. A from what I've heard about the carbines they are a fairly good bang for the buck....though still on the "cheap" side...but fairly accurate and reliable (again, for the money you are spending)

flag888
2nd January 2007, 22:30
I own one of those, the 9mm carbine.
I was buying another rifle at the time, and saw that, it was cheap, and being 9mm cheap to shoot.
So, I bought it right then and there, and have maybe put 500 rounds through it since buying it, that was almost 8 years ago.
I thought it would be ok, but its just a pistol with a long barrel with a crappy round. (never been a fan of the 9mm)
Its a bitch to clean, and strip down.
Having said all that, it never mis fed or mis fired once, and sometimes I would see how many rounds I could put through it quick, and every time I pulled it fired!

For the money, I guess its cheap fun.

GSB_77_XL
2nd January 2007, 23:16
I too have one of the carbikes. I bought it at a gun shop one day just because it looked neat. I think I only paid $180 for it. It shoots pretty good for a rifle using a pistol cartridge. They look real awesome with the flash supressor, laser sight and magazine pouch on it. They arent bad shooting guns for what they cost.

wrongpaw
3rd January 2007, 16:28
The carbine kinda looks like a
"planet of the Apes" gun.

dracolich
3rd January 2007, 18:50
I have one of the 9mm carbines. Its plastic, its cheap, it feels like an airsoft gun, and its a step up from a 22 for plinking.

Confused89
5th January 2007, 00:26
The carbine is not bad, but the pistol I would recommend staying away from. Friend had one and it blew up. The frame cracked in three places. His gun was a 9mm and yes I was right next to him when it blew up so it is not one of those I heard type stories, it is one of those I saw type things. It is a cheap gun and with those types you get what you pay for. I hope this helps you.

Gone
5th January 2007, 01:46
I have one of the C-9 9MM pistols. It shoots reasonably well and has never misfired or failed to feed/eject. It is a cheap pistol but has a lifetime warranty. I bought it new for $96 so I don't feel like I'm out anything. My S&W's and Sigs have been resting since I've been plinking with this pistol.

XL O.C.D.
5th January 2007, 01:56
I'd buy one as a range gun, but I wouldn't keep it in my nightstand. They may be new and improving, but I won't put my life behind one.

byrdj
5th January 2007, 03:44
At work they are the standard thug gun right next to the bryco/jennings. That said, I've seen plenty of people dropped over the years by a Hi-Point. They get the job done, but I personally would still feel a little off knowing that I have to depend on it.

Little Man
5th January 2007, 06:36
I have a new high-point model c9 9mm luger that shoots really nice.I've only shot 2 boxes of shells through it with no problems.lifetime warrenty is nice and i got the pistol,police style holster and two clips and a box of 9mm luger 115 gr.bullets and a box of 9mm luger 147 gr.jhp personal protection for $170.00 total.

Preacher
5th January 2007, 11:53
They are the Daiwoo of firearms... cheap crap that you buy if you just have to have a gun but can't afford and realy quality.

No way in hell I would trust my life to one.

raysheen
5th January 2007, 12:08
No way in hell I would trust my life to one.
While I've had nothing bad to say about them, I would certainly echo preacher on this one. Just my personal opinion though.

doc
5th January 2007, 13:22
Thanks for all the info. It's primary use would be target practice for the wife. I've got my Ruger for protection. I guess at this point in time, I'm gonna stay away and start lookin at something a little different until I can get my hands on one and actually run a few rounds through it. When I bought my Ruger, it was at a gun shop that had an indoor range. They let me shoot it (and several others) before I ever bought. I think there is a place like that in Amarillo, so I'll go check it out. Once again, thanks for the info!!

raysheen
5th January 2007, 15:33
along the same lines but much more money is a Beretta CX4 Storm...that is something that could work as both a plinker AND an HD carbine. You can get them to take Glock or Beretta mags....can come in 9mm, .40S&W, or .45ACP
pretty good ballistics even from the 9mm out of the 16" bbl
www.cx4storm.com

http://www.cx4storm.com/Moduli/ContentManager/publicimg/wallpaper/wall1_800.jpg

Ghugly
6th January 2007, 00:51
Why would one of these 9MM carbines be preferable to a military carbine or rifle, say an SKS or an AK? I'm just curious. I love my homely little SKS. Cheap to buy, cheap to feed, as fun to plink with as any .22 auto I've ever shot, and as rugged as a hammer.

GSB_77_XL
6th January 2007, 01:41
Why would one of these 9MM carbines be preferable to a military carbine or rifle, say an SKS or an AK?

Who said they were prefered over an SKS or any other military rifle? I dont reccomend, or recall anyone else on here saying they would take it into combat. There is no comparison between the two. If I didnt have a carbine and there was an SKS and a Hi point lying on the table and someone told me to pick one Id damn shure take the SKS. I dont know about other states, but around Here an SKS will sell for about $300. A Hi point carbine will sell for less than $200. Making it more of an economical plinker, and its easier to get ammo for. SKS are fine guns, but you have to mail order ammo or go to gun shows to get it because its not something you can find at Wal-Mart.

milmat1
6th January 2007, 06:47
A cheap gun is like a cheap tool. You can almost count on it failing right when you need it !!!

You will get a lot more enjoyment from shooting a well made gun,

And the S & W Sig series sells for around 299.00 And is a good handgun. If you want Count On It Dependability buy a Glock !

hybriDatsun350
7th January 2007, 01:24
If you want a good cheap carbine get a Kel-Tec. I've read and heard much better things about them, but they aren't pretty! haha

Ghugly
7th January 2007, 16:34
Who said they were prefered over an SKS or any other military rifle? I dont reccomend, or recall anyone else on here saying they would take it into combat. There is no comparison between the two. If I didnt have a carbine and there was an SKS and a Hi point lying on the table and someone told me to pick one Id damn shure take the SKS. I dont know about other states, but around Here an SKS will sell for about $300. A Hi point carbine will sell for less than $200. Making it more of an economical plinker, and its easier to get ammo for. SKS are fine guns, but you have to mail order ammo or go to gun shows to get it because its not something you can find at Wal-Mart.

I'm sorry, I guess I was unclear. I ment buying a military carbine or rifle as a plinker. I paid a little less than $200 for my SKS, and it is a Calif. aproved model which goes for a bit more than most. I agree that 9MM is easier to get than 7.62X39 but I haven't had any problem feeding my SKS with locally obtained ammo. So, for me, the SKS is cheaper than the Highpoint.

hybriDatsun350
7th January 2007, 19:37
I'm sorry, I guess I was unclear. I ment buying a military carbine or rifle as a plinker. I paid a little less than $200 for my SKS, and it is a Calif. aproved model which goes for a bit more than most. I agree that 9MM is easier to get than 7.62X39 but I haven't had any problem feeding my SKS with locally obtained ammo. So, for me, the SKS is cheaper than the Highpoint.

Plus 7.62x39 is cheaper than dirt! :banadanc

upstate ny racer
25th January 2007, 03:01
my wife has the 9mm carbine i play wiyh it from time to time.she put a tasco batum 4x32 scope. its pretty good 50-75 yrds for a pistal round.for the $ not a bad toy.

2007XL1200C
30th January 2007, 01:57
hated the trigger..sold it off cheap

Happycamper
17th March 2007, 00:12
HI
point pistols are ok their reliable only thing their big and heavy
only pracital use is target shooting

Weo
17th March 2007, 00:21
I was going to suggest a Ruger 9mm or 40SW carbine, but they took those models off of their web page!!!:yikes Did they discontinue them? I know they were on there before January!

I've had nothing but good experiences with my Ruger 10/22's and Mini-30. I think they are similar in price as the Hi-point, and there are aftermarket parts available.

sunkenloot
4th August 2008, 23:36
I have the 9MM and the .45. My dad also has the 9 and .380. I love mine. He loves his. I have well over 2000 rounds on the 9 with a few boxes of +P+ as well somewhere close to 1000 thru the .45. Im sure Ill get roasted for saying this but, I kind of see hi points like the harley. Sometimes you have to tinker with them to make them reliable and work like you want. I have worked my triggers, polished the feed ramps and got the feed lips on the clips set so it fires everytime I pull the trigger. I would not hesitate to carry either one. I do carry the 9 from time to time. If something ever goes wrong they have a life time warrenty. 90% of the people who bash hi-points have never even seen one. I know several people out at my local range that have purchased hi-points strictly by seeing me shoot or shooting mine. Then again this is just my opinion and you know what they say about opinions.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v321/sunkenloot/DSCN1320.jpg