PDA

View Full Version : Recall

rharrison356
6th January 2007, 06:42
2007 Sportster owners might be interested in this recall that will impact most of our bikes (so far). This was originally posted by another forum member on the safety page, and has not been "hit" very often.

The following information is submitted in accordance with National Highway Traffic Safety
Administration's reporting regulations, 49CFR Part 573.6,

Harley-Davidson Motor Company, Inc, has determined that a defect affecting motor vehicle
safety exists on certain 2007 Sportster model motorcycles.
IDENTIFICATION OF EQUIPMENT POTENTIALLY CONTAINING THE DEFECT:
The recalled population includes 18,758 (MY 2007) Sportster model motorcycles built between May
24,2006 through November 14,2006. The following 2007 Sportster models are included
XL883, XL883C, XL883L, XL883R XL1200C, XL1200R XL1200L, and XL50.
DESCRIPTION OF DEFECT:
These vehicles were bujlt with voltage regulator part number 74546-07 which, as a result of a
greater body thickness than used in previous model years, may contact the front fender under
certain conditions. In some cases this contact may allow the front fender to catch on the top side
of the reguIaior body, which could impede the operator's abiIity to steer the vehicle. This could
result in an accident, which could cause injury or death to the rider.

For more info, go to http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/recalls/

obiwan
6th January 2007, 09:55
Guess they mean this part.

Would have to be pretty extreme conditions to get hung up on that. But good to be aware of it. Haven't received anything official from HD yet.

tigertamer
6th January 2007, 13:54
I've been waiting almost two weeks for the retrofit part for my 883C. In the meantime I repositioned my front fender backwards to provide a little more clearance until the part comes in!

WiAlKi
6th January 2007, 19:12
interesting.. i think i'll go take a look at mine..

Drew1200c
7th January 2007, 15:10
I just had my run start switches go bad. I was on my way home and everytime I pulled in my clutch I heard a slight gringing sound for a few seconds. Got home turned off my bike to open the garage, went to start it when I switched it from off to run it started right up without hitting start! glad they now have a saftey feature so it wont start it gear. Anyway now everytime I pull n the clutch the starter runs for a few seconds which was the noise I kept hearing going home. Next day I decide to take it down to the stealer to see whats wrong , So I called up Harley they started a work order telling me that since I put on my own grips I might have pinched a wire(I was careful putting them on) Now I go to leave and the bike will not start,battery dead so I didnt want to mess with it and so I called a tow truck which my insurance paid for, got it to Harley waited about an hour and they told me it was a bad switch so to my luck it was covered under warantee and I didn't pay a dime, but man a 4 month old bike and already the switches are going bad. posted this in case anyone else has this problem I hope you dont.

williard952
9th January 2007, 03:51
I ran into the same thing, dealer doesn't have
the part, doesn't expect it for a month. Left
new bike there, have the '91 in the garage
waitin' for those warm days...

WiAlKi
10th January 2007, 02:40
I finally got around to looking at the regulator to fender clearance the recall was talking about. I don't see how the fender could contact the regulator on my bike.. However, in the process of looking at it I noticed some wires pinched between the downtube and the regulator. I took a trip to the dealer to take a look at another XL50 they have on the showroom floor and the wires are routed differently.. behind the regulator, not between the regulator and tube.. Just wondering if anyone else has the same thing.. I tried to include a link to some photos but it says i have to have posted 15 time or more before i can post to other links.. I'll try to post phots somewhere..

Bill King
Roswell NM
XL50
82 XLS

smokinron
10th January 2007, 03:51
I finally got around to looking at the regulator to fender clearance the recall was talking about. I don't see how the fender could contact the regulator on my bike.. However, in the process of looking at it I noticed some wires pinched between the downtube and the regulator. I took a trip to the dealer to take a look at another XL50 they have on the showroom floor and the wires are routed differently.. behind the regulator, not between the regulator and tube.. Just wondering if anyone else has the same thing.. I tried to include a link to some photos but it says i have to have posted 15 time or more before i can post to other links.. I'll try to post phots somewhere..

Bill King
Roswell NM
XL50
82 XLS
Bill, thanks for the info, I just checked mine and I also have wire running between the down tube and the regulator, hope it's not going to be a prob.

rharrison356
10th January 2007, 04:51
....I tried to include a link to some photos but it says i have to have posted 15 time or more before i can post to other links.. I'll try to post phots somewhere..

Bill King
Roswell NM
XL50
82 XLS
Hummmm....go to the welcome page and make make 13 more people feel welcome! Seriously, I would like to see pixs of the pinched wires. Thanks

WiAlKi
10th January 2007, 17:03
heres a link to the pics..
http://new.photos.yahoo.com/wialki/
Bill King

smokinron
10th January 2007, 18:02
Bill,
Thanks for the pics, I cannot tell for sure but it looks to me like my XL-50
also has the wires running along the left side of the regulator, (left side if you are looking from the front of the bike to the back). Least ways I was NOT miising the engine bolt. LOL. OK, just hope the wire don't rub on the down tube and then short out at some time in the future, I guess all we can do is keep an eye on them.

Scooter_Trash
10th January 2007, 18:56
Guess they mean this part.

Would have to be pretty extreme conditions to get hung up on that. But good to be aware of it. Haven't received anything official from HD yet.

Not really, you'd be surprised how much your forks compress while your riding. I remember Bert posted a pic of his forks during braking. Just can't find it anywhere.

WiAlKi
10th January 2007, 19:11
I'm gonna losen the regulator and move the wires.. they aren't pinched real bad, but i dont want them rubbing in the future.. beside it looks like sh*t..

Bill King

semjpm
10th January 2007, 19:28
If they are pinched, I would try to get the regulator replaced or at least get it on-file.

SEMJPM

petefwa
19th January 2007, 12:33
Stuff like that should'nt happen, but it does during mass production and sometimes small faults get past the dealer pre delivery as well. If you were to take a very close look over two suposedly identical bikes you would find minor variations in the way they have been asembled. If you see something you think may cause problems like a wire that may rub or pinch just move it yourself.

tigertamer
21st January 2007, 23:59
Has anyone got the upgrade yet from the dealer?

It's been close to a month now since I got word of the recall, but no word yet on a retrofit!

Just wonderin'
Larry

WiAlKi
26th January 2007, 19:16
I finally got the recall letter from the MoCo today.. i wonder if the dealer is gonna have the fix for it??? the letter says it should be available at my dealer Jan 26th..

sportsterrific
26th January 2007, 20:15
I got the recall notice a couple of weeks ago, but it's too cold to take my bike in for a fix. Besides, I've already put 1000 miles on the bike with no problems. I'm calling my dealer this afternoon to get an idea of what needs to be done & how I can get it done without having to leave it there for days once spring comes along.

dieselvette
26th January 2007, 22:22
if you want to check if it hits, (jack the bike up first) & remove the fork tube caps & lift up the front wheel all the way to the end of travel. Turn handlebars back & forth. If it never hits then you're OK.

excel50
27th January 2007, 00:32
Got my notice today. I have had my bike on a trailer and sucked down almost to the limit. I don't see any way the VR will interfere. I'll run it in to the dealers on my way by but I'm not going to stop riding it.

Screw Loose Dan
27th January 2007, 00:47
This link (http://snipurl.com/18any) has a pdf of Harley's official recall notice showing the bracket that gets replaced.

tim4hire
27th January 2007, 00:49
if you want to check if it hits, (jack the bike up first) & remove the fork tube caps & lift up the front wheel all the way to the end of travel. Turn handlebars back & forth. If it never hits then you're OK.

I would like to see a pix of this. It would be interesting to see just how close it comes

tim4hire
27th January 2007, 01:05
This link (http://snipurl.com/18any) has a pdf of Harley's official recall notice showing the bracket that gets replaced.

Looks like the new bracket lowers the position by about an inch in the photos.If your dealer can't fix it quickly and your worried but still want to ride you could try lowering it your self maybe use some zip ties.
Just make sure its secure!
I take no responsibilities it's up to you to decide if what you do is safe for you!

Gary7
27th January 2007, 14:48
I got my recall notice in the mail yesterday. :(

tigertamer
27th January 2007, 16:26
Yea, I finally got my letter on the 26th of Jan.

I'll bet they had the hardware ready for weeks, and only just now finished their pretty PDF documentation!

I am glad that this was addressed in the winter months, 'cause service seems to be faster in the cold weather months. :)

dxsch1
28th January 2007, 01:52
Dittos. Just got mine today... Will wait till after the snow melts to take it in

XLFREAK
28th January 2007, 07:57
Just got my notice today ... Probably take it in March if the weather stays mild enough.

Drew1200c
28th January 2007, 13:19
got a letter a few days ago also, thanks drcstang for posting the pdf looks like its just a bracket that move it down a little.

I was getting a lot of vibration in the grips on my bike, and when I was cleaning my bike a few days ago I noticed a 7/16 course grade 5 bolt hanging out about halfway from the front cylinder from the front stablizer bracket Its just up from the regulator towards the top of the frame. It had 2 bolts the other bolt was already gone. I went to the hardware store and got two new bolts and the vibration went away guess the bolts were not tightened right at the factory, you may want to check out these bolts also. damn thing is falling apart on me already.:tour

smokinron
9th February 2007, 23:36
My letter dated Jan 22, 07 stated that needed part to fix the problem (recall) would be at the dealers by the 29th Of Jan 07, called dealer today and brackets needed to fix problem are still not in, called HD at 414 #, was on hold for 15+ minutes only to be told that HD is only able to send out a couple of the brackets each week to each dealer. Might improve in future but not sure when! WTF, buy new bike, get recall for something they don't have parts to fix, can't ride due to safety issue. Doesn't say much for HD cust service!

WiAlKi
10th February 2007, 02:24
I've still been riding mine..

trixter
10th February 2007, 04:07
Bought my bike last Thurs and rode it 230+/- miles home. Called dealer today regarding some misc questions. Was told about the recall and yes, my bike is one of the ones needing the replacement part. She said they don't have the replacement part yet, but they are instructed from MoCo to replace the part from stock bikes that are correct.

Good new, bad news - it's at least a 10 hour 'round trip. Maybe I could go to a dealer that is only 125 miles away but then again if there is a weather window . . . road trip.

tim4hire
10th February 2007, 04:24
I've still been riding mine..

Just until it f:censor you up! please fix the position bro!Don't be a hero.:doh

tim4hire
10th February 2007, 04:30
Bought my bike last Thurs and rode it 230+/- miles home. Called dealer today regarding some misc questions. Was told about the recall and yes, my bike is one of the ones needing the replacement part. She said they don't have the replacement part yet, but they are instructed from MoCo to replace the part from stock bikes that are correct.

Good new, bad news - it's at least a 10 hour 'round trip. Maybe I could go to a dealer that is only 125 miles away but then again if there is a weather window . . . road trip.

Your Dealer Fd up He wasn't allowed to let it leave his possesion until he fixed it!:frownthre I recomend that you don't ride it until the position is changed.
Maybe you can have your lawyer give them a call for you and watch how fast they come out and pick it up for you!;) (you'l probably never see faster service!)

trixter
10th February 2007, 06:20
Seeming this recall has been out for awhile, and I was not aware of it (really had no reason to be) my question to said dealer is going to be "you should have known about this and why wasn't it taken care of?" She mentioned the "recall" message they had just received but now I think the real said message from the MoCo to them was how to fix it in the short term by swapping out parts.