PDA

View Full Version : Cold Natured Sporty,

longshot48
21st March 2005, 16:32
I have a question to all, I have a new 05 1200C that has to be one of the coldest natured motorcycles I have ever owned. After cold starting the bike you have to ride it about two miles or so before you can push in the choke. When it has heated up it run's great. I took about a four hour ride yesterday, when I stopped for lunch for about a hour and then restarted the bike it was as if it were from a cold start again. The outside temperature was in the low 70's so I really don't think had anything to do with it. When I purchased my Sporty I had my dealer install a new Cycle Shack exhaust system along with rejeting the carb. I don't know if this has anything to do with what I am seeing or not.

Any Ideas???

Thanks,

Longshot

mailmanjohn
21st March 2005, 16:38
my old bike when i first bought it was running alittle rich and was very cold natured. had it dyno tuned and the carb rejetted and soleved the problem.

Kath
21st March 2005, 16:44
I was told Sporties tend to not like the cold too much for starting .....at least I know the new rubber mounted ones are cold natured. I've heard though that all Sporties are. Mine takes about 5-6 tries to even get her started when she's really cold (like sitting overnite in colder temps). Then she takes quite awhile to warm up once she's going. I don't run with the choke out though. I let her warm up parked. I leave it full out for a couple minutes then half out for a few, then in for a bit. I've been told many times that actually riding with your choke out for too long will cause your plugs to foul.

DM-SC
21st March 2005, 17:29
My bike has the Stage I mods and starts fine, even when it's down in the upper 30's/low 40's.

I pull the enricher full out, start the bike and let it run a bit until I hear the tone of the engine change and then push the enricher in to about the half way point. Of course, the colder it is, the longer I let her warm up. It was 58 this morning and she idled for about 2 minutes before I left the house. I push the enricher in completely before I start riding.

Perhaps a trip to your Stealer would shed some light on the subject...

Desertfox
21st March 2005, 18:03
I have a question to all, I have a new 05 1200C that has to be one of the coldest natured motorcycles I have ever owned. After cold starting the bike you have to ride it about two miles or so before you can push in the choke. When it has heated up it run's great. I took about a four hour ride yesterday, when I stopped for lunch for about a hour and then restarted the bike it was as if it were from a cold start again. The outside temperature was in the low 70's so I really don't think had anything to do with it. When I purchased my Sporty I had my dealer install a new Cycle Shack exhaust system along with rejeting the carb. I don't know if this has anything to do with what I am seeing or not.

Any Ideas???

Thanks,

Longshot

Sporties are generally cold natured. Be careful running the choke too much. rich mixture will foul plugs out pdq. My carb was rejetted when I had the conversion done. Pretty much took care of the problem.

socal1200c
21st March 2005, 18:19
Shouldn't have to use the enrichner when it's over 70. Mine fires fine when it's that warm out. I would look into the jetting for sure. If it was cold out then what you describe is completely normal...

LuxBlue
21st March 2005, 19:22
Does your '05 have the current ICM reflash? Supposed to help cold starts.

longshot48
21st March 2005, 19:50
Hey Blue,

I purchased my bike new out of the crate, it wasn't even on the showroom floor. The guys at the dealership set it up installed the exhaust, jetkit etc. on a Saturday morning. I have nearly 500 miles on the bike and it has not been back to the dealership so to answer your question the ICM Reflash has not been done.

Is the reflash something that has come up recently in regards to the new Sportsters?

Many Thanks

Longshot

DM-SC
21st March 2005, 20:18
The date of the bulletin is October, 2004.

You can find it here (http://www.xlforum.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=1378)

longshot48
21st March 2005, 21:02
Thanks DM-SC

I guess I will have to pay my dealer a visit. I see you are a good ol South Carolina rider too.

I see your GO GAMECOCKS sticker in one of your pictures.

Good talking to ya.

DM-SC
21st March 2005, 21:28
Yeah, I come by it natural. Though I was born in Atlanta, my parents and grandparents all call/called Columbia home.

What part of SC are you from?

longshot48
21st March 2005, 22:21
I live in Summerville, just outside Charleston, I have lived here for nearly 20 years. I am a Hillbilly transplant from West Virginia.

Ollie
22nd March 2005, 01:09
These bikes are just plain cold blooded. It doesn't matter if it is 70, 80 or even 90 outside..you still need to use the choke after it has been sitting for an hour.
And if it has been sitting for a week or more it takes several minutes just to get the damn thing to fire.
You can credit some of this problem to the EPA....Harley does.

lthj75
22nd March 2005, 02:10
I keep mine running with the choke as short as possible. Here is my process:

1) Fire her up and push in the choke a bit immediately.
2) After a minute or so, I twist the throttle a bit and screw in the throttle thumb screw to lock the throttle a bit higher than idle.
3) I then push the choke all the way in as soon as its locked revving higher than idle.

This is much better for the bike to warm her up naturally opposed to riding with the choke!

BobbyB
22nd March 2005, 02:45
The 04 fires on the first touch of the button with the choke full out. When it fires I push the choke in till it's 1/4 way out. Ride about a 1/4 mile and all the way in with the choke. This works as long as it's above 60. Above 70 it just needs 1/4 choke to fire.
Bobby