PDA

View Full Version : Inspect/lube steering bearings

dave
21st March 2005, 16:20
My 10,000 mile checkup is coming up on Lilybeth (2004 1200C). One of the items specifies that the steering bearings should be inspected and regreased.

Anybody done this? How hard is it to do? Do I have to remove the front wheel and forks? Yes, I have a manual...

Chuck
24th March 2005, 01:45
My 10,000 mile checkup is coming up on Lilybeth (2004 1200C). One of the items specifies that the steering bearings should be inspected and regreased.

Anybody done this? How hard is it to do? Do I have to remove the front wheel and forks? Yes, I have a manual...

Damn Dave, 10,000 miles and year old. You must not even own a car. :)
My bike has a grease fitting. I just keep it greased. I have about 15,000 on my 98.

txsporty
24th March 2005, 02:10
My '03 has a grease fitting also.

If yours doesn't then I would take it apart and check it!!

I pulled my tree's apart just recently to change them out with a powder coated set and was Very surprised at how little grease there was in there!!! :yikes

The Manual for my bike tell you to grease them through the fitting until grease comes out of the top and bottom dust shields!!

To pull it apart wasn't that difficult just a pain!!!

Hope that helps!! :D

dave
24th March 2005, 02:12
Damn Dave, 10,000 miles and year old.
I just passed my one year anniversary (3/19). I love it! I think I would sleep with "Lilybeth" if my wife would allow it. :)
You must not even own a car. :)
What's a car?
My bike has a grease fitting.
I didn't even think to look! I also love bicycling (and do my own wrenching), so I sorta assumed that the whole front end would have to be disassembled just like a bicycle. Whew! I'll take a look for grease fittings tonight.

Thanks!

Chuck
24th March 2005, 02:35
I must have pumped mine 30 times before grease started to come out.

IronMick
24th March 2005, 02:37
I greased my '98 thru the fitting - regret it mucho. Warm weather and it oooooozzzzes out at the bottom. Makes a mess. Best to take it apart, clean it up, and put in just enough new grease. You do not need much! Just use good quality stuff.

dave
24th March 2005, 02:44
Best to take it apart, clean it up, and put in just enough new grease.
How much disassembly is required to get to the bearings? Are there upper and lower bearings?

dave
24th March 2005, 18:45
Last night, I took a good look at my manual and at Lilybeth. I see nothing in the manual about a grease fitting, and I don't see one on the bike either (2004 1200 Custom).

So I guess I will have to do some disassembly to get to the bearings. The manual, unfortunately, has nothing to say about this procedure. It just has an exploded diagram and the words "inspect and lubricate the steering bearings". Gee, thanks... :frownone

So again I ask: Anybody have any guidance for me on how to do this? Hopefully, I don't have to disconnect the front brake, remove the front tire, and remove the forks to get to the bearings...

dave
25th March 2005, 23:20
I guess nobody out there can help me..? :(

Just wanted to know if there were any guidance / suggestions for the disassembly required to service the steering bearings.

Oh well...

IronMick
26th March 2005, 02:53
I dismantled the whole front end of my 1980. Have not done that on my '98 or on any of my previous bikes. I am surprised that the manual is not much help. Perhaps a Clymer manual would be better. It is not a difficult job. But i would think that a manual would be necessary.

The hard part with the '80 was putting the wireing and parts back together in the correct sequence. I had to dismantle and re-start 2 times. But i was putting it back together a couple months after stripping it down. It would be easier done on a single weekend, say.

dave
26th March 2005, 03:16
I am surprised that the manual is not much help. Perhaps a Clymer manual would be better.
Yeah, that surprised me too. The HD manual just says "inspect and lubricate" with no instructions of *how* to do that. I have not seen a Clymer manual for a 2004 or new bike, unfortunately.
It is not a difficult job. But i would think that a manual would be necessary.
Hmm. It seems as though I have to totally disassemble the entire front end. I can do that, but obviously I want to do it the "right" way.

dabronco
26th March 2005, 04:44
Remove the nut on the stem and loosen the lower triple clamp and slide it down the forks. The bottom bearing will now be visible. Raise the entire assembly in the frame and the top bearings are now accessible. Oh yes, support the bike under the frame before you loosen the triple clamp, or the whole bike will slide down the forks until the fender stops it!

Moved On
26th March 2005, 04:53
I greased my '98 thru the fitting - regret it mucho. Warm weather and it oooooozzzzes out at the bottom. Makes a mess.That's a Harley mess there mister. Learn to love it!!! I started using that red synthetic grease because it looks prettier when it oozes out then the brown stuff does :D

Last night, I took a good look at my manual and at Lilybeth. I see nothing in the manual about a grease fitting, and I don't see one on the bike either (2004 1200 Custom).Yea, The factory got rid of the fitting on the '04s. I thought I heard that the bearings were different type needed to be packed rather than just ooze filled, but I'm not sure about that I might be imagining things again ;)

Gazza

dave
26th March 2005, 17:30
Remove the nut on the stem and loosen the lower triple clamp and slide it down the forks. The bottom bearing will now be visible. Raise the entire assembly in the frame and the top bearings are now accessible. Oh yes, support the bike under the frame before you loosen the triple clamp, or the whole bike will slide down the forks until the fender stops it!

Thanks dabronco!!!