PDA

View Full Version : Mr. Clean is THE MAN!!!

pquirk
11th January 2007, 19:54
Awhile back I sprung a little leak that spewed SportTran down the side of my primary cover. I was on a fairly long ride and it had a chance to get nicely baked in and then it sat a couple days before I noticed it. I tried absolutely everything I could think of and every idea I could find on the forum to clean it off but nothing worked, nothing even made the slightest difference in the stain and I'm talking every degreaser, engine cleaner, solvent, steel wool, etc.... I finally just decided I'd powder coat or chrome the damn thing so it wouldn't look so crappy (Hence, my winter project thread). Last night I was doing some searches on powdercoating and came across a post where a computer tech said had to clean a powder coated computer monitor that was used in a mechanics shop and nothing worked...until he tried the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. I knew we had some of those, they do work great around the house. Look what happened:

Before: And this is dried on staining, not just surface goo.
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f186/pquirk/01-11-07050Small.jpg

After less than 5 minutes:
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f186/pquirk/01-11-07054Small.jpg

In the after pic you can still see traces of the oil, but that's only five minutes of work, I didn't have time to do more, but I'm betting it'll all come off. I knew these things were cool from using them around the house, but now I'm completely sold :clap . How often does a product perform as advertised? I think I'll have close my winter project poll :) .

Clarinetcat
11th January 2007, 20:05
It is an eraser?!?!?

I don't think I have ever heard of this, glad it worked for you! :banadanc

cgp-1200R
11th January 2007, 20:06
I was not sure if i wanted to use it on Black Powder Coat, anyone try that ?

SportsterBart
11th January 2007, 20:07
I've heard nothing but praise about that product.

If I ever get around to cleaning my bike I'm gonna buy it :shhhh :laugh

B

Gone
11th January 2007, 20:14
Good tip Pquirk...

giveme2wheels
11th January 2007, 20:15
I've got two kids under 5 and they love drawing on stuff...these Mr Clean pads are a staple at the Blair house! Thanks, this is is good to know, my primaries are stained as well...

-Jay

pquirk
11th January 2007, 20:18
It is an eraser?!?!?

I don't think I have ever heard of this, glad it worked for you!

Check it out :)

Magic Eraser (http://www.mrclean.com/sites/en_US/mrclean/products/eraser.shtml)

PSEBYL
11th January 2007, 20:25
I used Mr. Clean Magic Eraser on my gas tank's clearcoat...regrettably. I used it on the chrome of my mufflers...regrettably. Be very careful how you use this!

pquirk
11th January 2007, 20:38
I used Mr. Clean Magic Eraser on my gas tank's clearcoat...regrettably. I used it on the chrome of my mufflers...regrettably. Be very careful how you use this!
Good point, I don't think I'd use it on anything that has an easily scratched surface, the little sponge is somewhat abrasive. It also puts out a white filmy crap but I washed it off with H20 right away so it wouldn't sit there. What did it do to the chrome, I'm surprised it didn't do well on that?

PSEBYL
11th January 2007, 20:50
What did it do to the chrome, I'm surprised it didn't do well on that?

I had heard that it works well removing boot rubber from the exhaust. I had a few specs of shredded drive belt rubber that stuck to one of the mufflers. The Magic Eraser removed it easily, but left some micro scratches which dulled the chrome surface. It's not that big of a deal now that my bike has a few battle scars. Now it has character.

For those that don't like chrome, this would be a great way to give it an industrial look!

pquirk
11th January 2007, 20:53
I had heard that it works well removing boot rubber from the exhaust. I had a few specs of shredded drive belt rubber that stuck to one of the mufflers. The Magic Eraser removed it easily, but left some micro scratches which dulled the chrome surface. It's not that big of a deal now that my bike has a few battle scars. Now it has character.

For those that don't like chrome, this would be a great way to give it an industrial look!Hmm, bummer. You could probably buff that out with simichrome though.

rshute4
11th January 2007, 20:54
I AM SO STEALING MY WIFES MAGIC ERASER!!!!!!!! Ill have to start using it on the cases! GREAT TIP!

The guy with the 883C
11th January 2007, 22:45
There is also a "Mr. Clean Magic Eraser Extra Power" listed.
Might be better for tough stuff on the cases.

myrl883
11th January 2007, 23:13
I tried them as a houshold cleaner, and they didn't do any better for me than clear water and a sponge. I thought they sucked. Looks like you had great results - maybe I'll try again with the "Extra Power" one.

Rob Henderson
12th January 2007, 00:47
The Magic eraser is also good for removing gunk off the pipes. You know the smudge from the rubber off you boots.

xena
12th January 2007, 01:16
The Magic eraser is also good for removing gunk off the pipes. You know the smudge from the rubber off you boots.

A few posts back PSEBYL said he used this
stuff to clean boot rubber from his pipes
and the chrome got jacked. Just a warning.
I'd say use it on easily scratched surfaces
at your own risk.

wrongpaw
12th January 2007, 14:35
Used one to remove some baked on Opossum from the pipes.
Not only are those thing messy, they smell bad......

Jt1200r
12th January 2007, 14:55
what messy and smells bad the 'possom or the pad

cgp-1200R
12th January 2007, 15:31
I had heard that it works well removing boot rubber from the exhaust. I had a few specs of shredded drive belt rubber that stuck to one of the mufflers. The Magic Eraser removed it easily, but left some micro scratches which dulled the chrome surface.

Same here ,except belt pieces didnt come off either i was bummed

GSB_77_XL
12th January 2007, 20:19
I use them on my boats. They work great for cleaning off the scuffs on the hull from the rubber rollers on the trailer.

pquirk
12th January 2007, 21:13
I use them on my boats. They work great for cleaning off the scuffs on the hull from the rubber rollers on the trailer.
Might try one on that '77 too.........

:sofa :roflblack

GSB_77_XL
12th January 2007, 21:47
Might try one on that '77 too.........

:sofa :roflblack
I think it would get gummed up after one swipe. I had better buy a whole case of them.

Winchester92367
27th August 2007, 21:05
Sounds like neat fix. Would this work for boot marks on the primary cover. Seems like I am always cleaning the scuff from my boot on the shifter side

pquirk
27th August 2007, 23:01
Sounds like neat fix. Would this work for boot marks on the primary cover. Seems like I am always cleaning the scuff from my boot on the shifter side
Give it a try :dunno. Beware if you've got chrome covers though some people said they scratched the chrome.