PDA

View Full Version : Spring time "shopping list".....

Crusin_w00kie
15th January 2007, 04:53
All the x-mas bills are paid now and it's time to start saving for spring time. As my sig says, there's a looooong list of toys lined up for the the little guy.

Here's a run down. I'd appriciate a ya or nay on the list. You all know more about the XL than I do, but I have been trying to learn a great deal more from reading and searching around this site.

Progressive fork kit with progrssive 418's (heavy duty 12.5") in the rear (stock suspension suuuuuucks)

Debated doing a steering dampner as well (I like to ride fast, this should help)

Kuryakyn is going to be seeing a great deal of my fundage---
The have this WICKED cool foot peg with a swing out "highway" mount
http://www.kuryakyn.com/products.asp?bn=harley&ci=3597
Panacea smoked tail light and matching smoked rear blinkers and front smoked blinkers (LEDs rock and being seen my the idiots on the road is better for my health it turns out..)

Found some really kicka$$ fwd control extensions also (2"+) that should help me stretch out on the long rides.

The biggest decision I have is my wideglide conversion, can't decided between either the Accutronix or Hawg Halters setup. (suggestions??)

Last is a seat for my chubby self. (D@mn you LePera, hurry up with the 07's already!!!!!)

I'm holding off on exhaust for now, waiting to see what comes out in the spring time, if I don't see anything good, I'm firing up the welder and making my own.:D

Let's see some other shopping lists!!!! This is the being of something wonderful for the next generation of XL riders!! (EFI!!! FTW!!!!)

Moved On / My Own Choice
15th January 2007, 14:29
CW - HOLD OFF on any Kuryakn LED products until you've seen them in real life.

DRCstang from this board (and from my area here around Philly) has a Kuryakn tail-light that he's posted pics of here.

Though he's happy with it, after spending part of a day following him around I would not be!!!!

Too little difference between the running light and brake light brightness during the day. Made it VERY easy to miss the brake light coming on!!!

Not good in my opinion, needs to be much brighter OR would need modulation or perhaps additional lights that ONLY come on during braking.

It helps in his case that his turn signals are also running/brake lights, and as incandescents they have a greater difference in brightness, but it's still not enough for my comfort.

Kev

Crusin_w00kie
15th January 2007, 14:47
Kev, it's my understanding that when you get the panacea tail light and rear blinkers together, the blinkers run as running lights (amber), brakes lights (red) and brake/blink (amber on the blinking side, red on the brake side along with the brake light, but when you brake they also pulse for a couple seconds. I might also look at just a smoked cover for the light itself and get a brake light modulator (alot cheaper $$$) and still get the job done. Only reason I though of the panacea setup was that I saw it on a friends RoadKing and I liked the features and looks of it.

black-n-blue sporty
15th January 2007, 14:57
I just added a smoked laydown tail light lens to my bike. I still need to get a new bulb that is red to put in, but it was about $20 compared to $100 for the LED one. You can use that $80 for some other small mods.

Carl-04XL
15th January 2007, 15:00
I'm holding off on exhaust for now, waiting to see what comes out in the spring time, if I don't see anything good, I'm firing up the welder and making my own.:D

Read this thread, if you haven't already.
http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/showthread.php?threadid=45140

JEEPSALES
15th January 2007, 15:07
my parents got me the low profile smoked led tail light and the smoked turn signal lenses that came with yellow bulbs...the led looks great but the first day i was able to take it for a ride my friend had put the run-turn-brake contoler in his turn signals on his road king it not only looked good but my guess was it would be much safer. so i picked up the kit as well but instead of putting the red lens on in the rear i'm just going to find red bulbs to hide behide the smoked covers it should look really good and keep me safe 2...just my $.02

Moved On / My Own Choice
15th January 2007, 15:16
Kev, it's my understanding that when you get the panacea tail light and rear blinkers together, the blinkers run as running lights (amber), brakes lights (red) and brake/blink (amber on the blinking side, red on the brake side along with the brake light, but when you brake they also pulse for a couple seconds. I might also look at just a smoked cover for the light itself and get a brake light modulator (alot cheaper $$$) and still get the job done. Only reason I though of the panacea setup was that I saw it on a friends RoadKing and I liked the features and looks of it.

Well DRCS must have a different one from Kuryakn cause there was no modulation involved.

Modulation would probably help, but I'd still recommend you make sure you look at it in the daylight first (like with that friend's RK). I've done lots of experiments with LEDs and LOTS of the ones on the market today are still pretty dim in daylight!

If it looks good then and you're sure it catches your eye on the road, then have fun man (and of course, report back).

Kev

Screw Loose Dan
15th January 2007, 15:50
Well, since my name got brought up I guess I should jump in and explain.

I have the Kuryakyn LED Low Profile LED tail light. It is NOT the Panacea model that controls the turnsignals, nor does it have any modulation to it. I have the HD module to convert the rear turn signals into turn/running/brake lights.

I respect and believe Kev's opinion about my tail lights. However, Kev rode with me only during the day. From what other riders tell me, at night there IS a huge difference. Since I can't see it myself as I ride, I'll take Kev's and my other riding buddies' word for it.

I would say overall I'm happy with the Kuryakyn tail light. I'm still working on what the best day/night solution will be for me. I have pics in my gallery if your interested.

As far as "lists" go of things to buy, I'm in the middle of an unplanned engine conversion, see this thread (http://www.xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/showthread.php?t=44963) for more details. So, I think that's it for me. But, I'll probably need to buy a few other soft items for my Alaska adventure this summer (tent, better sleeping bag, etc).

Moved On / My Own Choice
15th January 2007, 15:58
DRCs, that's why I specifically said during the day.

I've got some LED tail-lights on the Guzzi that were borderline invisible during the day, but were REAL BRIGHT at night!

I think your incandescents help you during the day, but it wouldn't be enough for me.

Next time we get together, I'll ride the Guzzi and show you that set-up.

Kev

Crusin_w00kie
15th January 2007, 16:25
Ok then, here's a happier medium (and probably a safer and less expensive idea). Run/brake/turn controller from HD, with an after market brake modulator also wired it??? The last thing I need is a cager plowing into me at a stop light cause "he didn't see me". (I'm 6" and square, if you don't see me, then you're blind).

4banger
15th January 2007, 17:20
My spring list has only one thing right now, a 01 1200s that I'm afraid will find it's way into my garage.