PDA

View Full Version : Stage 2 question

Merritt
24th January 2007, 14:57
How much trouble is it to change the cams in a 2007 1200? Do you have to take the rocker arms off or can it all be done down below?

Crusin_w00kie
24th January 2007, 15:22
OOoooohh...good question. I was wondering the same thing!!

iwanta07883
24th January 2007, 15:40
hey guys. first post ever! long time viewer! :)the only cam i know of that will bolt right in are the N3 grind cams. i think all other cams need the heads modified.

Jimbos883
24th January 2007, 16:01
To do any cam work on any of the motors, both carbed or EFI, you need to release the spring pressure on the valves. This usually involves loosing or removing the rocker boxes. Say here is the magic line.......Do you have a factory service manual for your bike? The correct procedure for this is clearly described in it. If you don't and I'm not trying to be a smart ass, but if you plan on doing this type of work to your bike you should invest in one.

I would suggest removing the rocker boxes because then you would replace the gaskets and not have to worry about a rocker box leak at a later date. But that's just my opinion. As they say there never is enough time to do it right the first time. But there is always time to do it over.

Screw Loose Dan
24th January 2007, 18:02
I believe Jimbos883 is correct, the procedure should be the same for carb or EFI bikes. There is a good write up on cam replacements at this thread (http://www.xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/showthread.php?t=31258). The only difference I see that's obvious, is removing the gas tank is a slightly different procedure, but that's not a biggie (especially if you have a manual).

I'm pretty sure you will need to take care of adjusting the fuel, but there's plenty of threads about your options on that.