PDA

View Full Version : Lowering Kit

missyd
23rd March 2005, 19:06
I need a lowering kit for the back of my bike. The long Ohlins are ok but I have a clearance problem with the muffler/axlebolt and the passenger peg.
Are these bracket kits any good.
Where can I order them and shipped to Switzerland online without problems?
(JPC wants to check my credit card/cash situation before sending items). :frownthre

klown
23rd March 2005, 19:11
I need a lowering kit for the back of my bike. The long Ohlins are ok but I have a clearance problem with the muffler/axlebolt and the passenger peg.
Are these bracket kits any good.
Where can I order them and shipped to Switzerland online without problems?
(JPC wants to check my credit card/cash situation before sending items). :frownthre

I got this white brother's lowering kit on my sporty. Lowered it about 1". I've had it for a couple of years now. I'm not too happy with it, I'm gonna get some progressive 440's this summer. The WB's lowering kit is just a couple of brackets that move the mounting location of the shocks so that your rear lowers.

missyd
24th March 2005, 11:38
Thanks for the info ... but where to buy online???? Any suggestions? :rolleyes:

jag1
24th March 2005, 12:12
e-bay they have them. go with progressive shocks though.

Shu
24th March 2005, 15:11
Klown, can you clarify why you are not happy with the White Brothers 1" rear lowering kit? I'm curious because I've had one on my custom for several years as well and am completely happy with it.

Missy, if you are serious, PM me. My local indy normally keeps them in stock. I could pick up a set and mail them to you. We could work out payment via PayPal.

klown
24th March 2005, 15:22
Klown, can you clarify why you are not happy with the White Brothers 1" rear lowering kit? I'm curious because I've had one on my custom for several years as well and am completely happy with it.

Missy, if you are serious, PM me. My local indy normally keeps them in stock. I could pick up a set and mail them to you. We could work out payment via PayPal.

Shu, I noticed the handeling degraded once I put the brackets in. It's a good Idea if all you want is to lower the bike, you sacrifice handeling when doing so. I want better handeling, so I am going to replace the bracket with 11" progressive 440's. I don't know how to put it in words, but I just don't feel as comfortable as I used to with the stock setup.

Shu
24th March 2005, 15:28
When yo lower the back of the bike, you increase the rake in the front end. Increasing rake makes the bike more stable on straights, but a little tougher in the corners or in slow speed manuevers. I understand why you feel it sacrificed handling. To put it in perspective though, look at the 91-03 Hugger vs. Custom bikes. The Hugger is the same rear height as the custom, but the custom is about 1.5" higher in the front. This makes the customs mroe of a cruiser and the hugger more of a carver.

klown
24th March 2005, 15:36
I don't think that's the whole story. I think my problem is that the stock shocks are losing performance when they are angled in a different way. The stock shocks do not have progressive springs, so when I ride 2 up with my wife the bike bottoms out on some bumps. I want to try to achieve the the low look without sacrificing too much handeling, and right now the brackets do not do it for me. I have never been real comfortable with them in tight corners, but at the time it was all I could affor to get the low look in the back.

Shu
24th March 2005, 15:45
Have you played around with the preload on the stock shocks? I have ridden two up on mine and have never bottomed out. By increasing the angle of the shock it increases the preload slightly making them a little stiffer one up. The best way to lower the rear is with aftermarket shorter shocks, but these kits work ok as well. IF the stock shocks were so terrible, I'd be completely satisfied with the lowering kit. Heck, I may buy 11" Progressives and still run the kit.

klown
24th March 2005, 16:03
Have you played around with the preload on the stock shocks? I have ridden two up on mine and have never bottomed out. By increasing the angle of the shock it increases the preload slightly making them a little stiffer one up. The best way to lower the rear is with aftermarket shorter shocks, but these kits work ok as well. IF the stock shocks were so terrible, I'd be completely satisfied with the lowering kit. Heck, I may buy 11" Progressives and still run the kit.

Yeah, I messed with the preload, It helped a little bit. Damn, dude your rides gonna be friggin low if you run 11" and the brackets. That shit will look sweet!!!