PDA

View Full Version : Rubbermount_EFI Dealership is way too expensive!

bigrabo
24th March 2009, 18:23
Ok, so I posted last week about some stuff that I ordered from Ebay, cycle shack slip ons, and a power commander USB3. I finally recieved everything this weekend, but with my wedding plans and house renovations, I have put my installations for my bike on hold. I just called the dealership to see how much they would charge me to install the parts and they told me $75 for the slipons and $150 to map my power commander, now I know the manager there, so I didnt want to be rude, I just said that I would think about it. I asked all of you in my last post about how to install everything in which order, and I didnt get too many responces. I will know how to do this if someone shows me, but not exaclty sure where to start......is the price for the labor reasonable....I dont think it sounds right, since I just spent $$ on the new items...any suggestions...I want to get this done as soon as possible...thanx

ReddTigger
24th March 2009, 18:26
Doesn't sound out of place. Should be a little more then 1/2 hr to install slip-ons by book time. and the power commander mapping sounds about what I've heard people paying

shotgun46
24th March 2009, 18:27
I don't know about the Power Commander but the slip on's are A piece of cake spray all your joints and bolts with your favorite oil let em soak over night then get to it ! 2 clamps and A mounting bracket is all it is !

bigrabo
24th March 2009, 18:28
Ok, doesnt look like im taking it to the dealership then......i have to grow some balls and figure out how to do this myself!

FrankBlack
24th March 2009, 18:33
Hey bigrabo. You can install the slip-ons yourself no problem. It's easy and there are threads that will tell you how. 90 minutes taking it really slow. Is the $150 for custom mapping your PCIII? Or just instaling a generic map (one downloaded from the Dynojet website? If it's a custom map, then $150 is reasonable (certainly by UK standards). If it's just loading one of the generic maps from the website then do it yourself - 10 minute job and you'll get all the help you need here to do it too.

Congrats on your marriage plans. But be sensible - get your bike done first, even if it means postponing the wedding! ;)

Jimbos883
24th March 2009, 18:33
You can do the slipons easily in 1 hour by yourself. I would suggest that you do that yourself, $75 to that is way to expensive. Pretty simple to do, you just remove the old slipons and replace them with the new. You might need new crossover gaskets if they are not supplied with the Cycle Shacks. Take your time and it will work out just fine.

The Power Commander is also easy enough to install yourself but I'd suggest a dyno tune to get the unit adjusted correctly. I'm not sure if the $150 that you stated includes the dyno or not. If it does that's about average to do the tuning. I'd let them do it.

Even if you just install the slipons you can ride the bike without installing the Power Commander until you find time and funds to finish the upgrades.

bigrabo
24th March 2009, 18:37
thanx guys, this leads me to my next question, should I remove the baffles in the slipons......??..i think i am going to before i install them....

shotgun46
24th March 2009, 18:39
thanx guys, this leads me to my next question, should I remove the baffles in the slipons......??..i think i am going to before i install them....

Naw try em :censor first see how they sound then go from there ! You Can Do it

bigrabo
24th March 2009, 18:40
Naw try em :censor first see how they sound then go from there ! You Can Do it

ok sounds good...thanx

Jimbos883
24th March 2009, 18:41

Cycle Shacks are pretty loud with the baffels in, try it with them in first then if you don't like them, need more noise, take them out.

One thing to consider is if you remove the baffles your pipes will be nothing more than a set of drag pipes. Drag pipes are not known for their performance on a street riden bike.

Just my opinion, you have to do what you have to do.

bigrabo
24th March 2009, 18:45
Cycle Shacks are pretty loud with the baffels in, try it with them in first then if you don't like them, need more noise, take them out.

One thing to consider is if you remove the baffles your pipes will be nothing more than a set of drag pipes. Drag pipes are not known for their performance on a street riden bike.

Just my opinion, you have to do what you have to do.

ok then I am def going to keep the baffles in.........as long as they are a bit more aggressive than my stock slip ons, ill be happy

Bob F
24th March 2009, 19:42
If it's just loading one of the generic maps from the website then do it yourself - 10 minute job and you'll get all the help you need here to do it too.

A Dyno is the best way to tune your scoot.

V-Twin forum at http://www.v-twinforum.com/forums/efi-maps-calibrations/. Dynojet Research engineers monitors that forum and will send maps to you via the forum based upon what you tell them. They will also help you fine tune your map on your PCIII.

http://xlforum.net/photopost/data/500/medium/Sporty_jacked-in.jpg

bigrabo
24th March 2009, 19:45
A Dyno is the best way to tune your scoot.

V-Twin forum at http://www.v-twinforum.com/forums/efi-maps-calibrations/. Dynojet Research engineers monitors that forum and will send maps to you via the forum based upon what you tell them. They will also help you fine tune your map on your PCIII.

http://xlforum.net/photopost/data/500/medium/Sporty_jacked-in.jpg

see now that picture scares me.......laptops hooked up to a motorcycle......ooh this is gonna be tough...thanx

wiso_67
14th February 2011, 00:38
I put the cycle shack slip on's on my 1200 and it sounds great, deep and pretty loud, I had the dealership remapp my bike ithink was like 125 150, so the price is right and the slip ons are super easy to put on. good luck

Phaedrus
14th February 2011, 00:41
well the original post is almost two years old so hopefully hes figured it out:p

wiso_67
14th February 2011, 00:56
I didnt even notice too funny:p