PDA

View Full Version : Wider rear tires in future?

bassboy311
31st January 2007, 17:48
Hey guys, has anyone heard any rumblings, rumors about Sportsters being offered with a wider rear tire in the future? I sure would love to see one with a 180 or 200 rear on it.

wormjello
31st January 2007, 18:07
Specs on the XR1200 say 180 but thats if and when.

Swankster
31st January 2007, 18:14
Frankly, I can see perhaps a 180 in the near future from the moco but nothing any larger.
But what the hell do I know, they seem to be addressing the sporty line up more these days huh?
A good thing!
Radical Cafe' or perhaps Streetfighter next MMmmmm!!!
Swankster

snowman
31st January 2007, 18:19
Got tired (no pun intended) of waiting so I'm doing my own...:banana:banana:banana

http://xlforum.net/photopost/data/500/FinalmokRear.jpg

Hot Rod Sporty
31st January 2007, 18:19
I'd like to see the MoCo offer one with a 200. Isn't that what they use on the Buell's?

Swankster
31st January 2007, 18:23
Got tired (no pun intended) of waiting so I'm doing my own...:banana:banana:banana

http://xlforum.net/photopost/data/500/FinalmokRear.jpg

Nice clean look and good job snowman.
I really like how you incorporated the gas (less-tank) into the frame and neck. So where's the oil tank? :smoke
Swankster

Moved On / My Own Choice
31st January 2007, 18:24
Hey guys, has anyone heard any rumblings, rumors about Sportsters being offered with a wider rear tire in the future? I sure would love to see one with a 180 or 200 rear on it.

OH GOD I HOPE NOT!!!

The Sport Radials on the XR are one thing, but a fat, low profile, relatively flat rear on a Sporty would take the already slower handling of the rubbermounts and make it a true pig...

superwarden
31st January 2007, 18:30
I personally hope the wider is better fad ends soon. Call me crotchety, but I like my tires a little on the narrow side..

Gone
31st January 2007, 19:34
OH GOD I HOPE NOT!!!

The Sport Radials on the XR are one thing, but a fat, low profile, relatively flat rear on a Sporty would take the already slower handling of the rubbermounts and make it a true pig...

It could actually be fitted with a 17" rim and sport tire profile, like the heavier sport-touring bikes...... It would also give a minor improvement in the deficient lean angle attainable. Be even better if they bumped up the ride height at least an inch to keep the steel off the deck. Make it part of the "R" set-ups only so fans of the other versions are not impacted.

Moved On / My Own Choice
31st January 2007, 19:48
It could actually be fitted with a 17" rim and sport tire profile, like the heavier sport-touring bikes...... It would also give a minor improvement in the deficient lean angle attainable. Be even better if they bumped up the ride height at least an inch to keep the steel off the deck. Make it part of the "R" set-ups only so fans of the other versions are not impacted.

Oh there are lots of things that COULD be done ... whether or not they WILL be done is another question.

Me, I'm gonna start slow, like by swapping the stock Dunlop for a Metzler when Jenn finally wears that Dunlop down a tad more.

And if that doesn't do the job for quicker turning, we're gonna step down from the 150 to a 130 or 140 and see how that helps....

But I'm figuring even just the switch to the Metzler profile will be a boon to turning.

K

Moved On
31st January 2007, 19:52
God I hope not, they're tooo wide already.

Gazza

Scooter_Trash
31st January 2007, 19:59
When is this fat tire crap going to go away. A fat tire Sporty? G'me a f'n break.

http://www.gabbf.com/images/archives/wagon.jpg

snowman
31st January 2007, 20:09
Nice clean look and good job snowman.
I really like how you incorporated the gas (less-tank) into the frame and neck. So where's the oil tank? :smoke
Swankster

Oil tank is under the seat, battery is on the front of the swingarm and the gas tank is on my workbench.......:roflblack:roflblack:roflblack

cadiero
31st January 2007, 20:12
I hope they keep a reasonable tire under the Sportster. I have no interest in a 180 or 200 on mine. They don't last as long and slow handling down.

83XLX
31st January 2007, 20:20
I kind of like the old 4.00x18 rear tire that came on the first Sportsters. Of course, as the bikes get wider, I guess the tires must follow to look in proportion. The problem is, Sportsters are getting wider, bigger, heavier, and less "sporty".

Gone
31st January 2007, 20:24
When is this fat tire crap going to go away. A fat tire Sporty? G'me a f'n break.
[/IMG]

Well, if you feel comfortable strafing mountain curves on a 130 tire under a 580+ lb. machine, have at it. It's fine at the factory training-wheel lean angles, but pushing the tire hard beyond that.

83XLX
31st January 2007, 20:33
Well, if you feel comfortable strafing mountain curves on a 130 tire under a 580+ lb. machine, have at it. It's fine at the factory training-wheel lean angles, but pushing the tire hard beyond that.
I've done it for years. I live on a mountain, so every time I ride, I ride a twisty mountain road coming and going. A good 130, fork brace, and longer rear shocks will make a Sportster handle very well. I even took a couple of hotted-up RD350's on my way home (up the mountain) one afternoon. We stopped at an overlook to chat and they were somewhat embarrased to find out an old ironhead had passed them.

collinsb
31st January 2007, 20:34
We love a Sporty!

We buy a Sporty!

We want to make a Sporty a BigDog!

I don't get it!

:dunno :dunno :dunno :dunno :dunno :dunno :dunno :dunno :dunno :dunno :dunno :dunno :dunno :dunno :dunno :dunno :dunno :dunno :dunno :dunno :dunno :dunno :dunno :dunno :dunno :dunno :dunno :dunno :dunno :dunno :dunno :dunno :dunno :dunno :dunno :dunno :dunno :dunno

khaskins
31st January 2007, 20:40
I personally hope the wider is better fad ends soon. Call me crotchety, but I like my tires a little on the narrow side..

Ditto for me. I think that a wide tire on a sporty will completely ruin the handling. I want them to make it better (improve the suspension). Figure out how to put more power to the road

Moved On / My Own Choice
31st January 2007, 21:02

Ahemmm,

**cough-cough**

I feel QUITE comfortable on my 550 lbs. dry weight Guzzi, running a Metzler ME88 Marathon 130 on the rear (instead of the factory 140, cause the ME 88 didn't come in a 140).

And I can push it way past those "factory traingin-wheel lean angles" to which most of the rubbermount Sportys are limited.

As a matter of fact, I've yet to have one keep up with me.

:p

Moved On / My Own Choice
31st January 2007, 21:03
I've done it for years. I live on a mountain, so every time I ride, I ride a twisty mountain road coming and going. A good 130, fork brace, and longer rear shocks will make a Sportster handle very well.

:clap :clap :clap

bassboy311
31st January 2007, 21:38
Waoh guys. No need to hate on each other. Just curious about the wider tire since they have started offering some of the other models with a fat rear end. Personally I do like the fatter tires, but I can totally understand wanting something more set up for performance. I just think that there is definately a market for a "wide" sportster and that the MoCo should address that.

Moved On / My Own Choice
31st January 2007, 21:48
Waoh guys. No need to hate on each other. Just curious about the wider tire since they have started offering some of the other models with a fat rear end. Personally I do like the fatter tires, but I can totally understand wanting something more set up for performance. I just think that there is definately a market for a "wide" sportster and that the MoCo should address that.

I know I'm gonna get blasted for this, but I don't care.

It's the "poser" market.

The Chopper, wannabe, bad boy, ooooohhh look how PHAT my bike is crowd.

At least mostly,

that drives bigger tires on these bikes.

To a POINT bigger CAN serve a purpose.

You can get more mileage out of em.

You can arguable get better traction IF the profile and compound is right.

But once you start talking raked, aped, fat tire so the thing can't F'n turn anymore, the rider is about "styling and profiling" and he and I have VERY little in common.

That's cool if THAT what you're into, but you don't get more than a :rolleyes: or a :frownthre from me on a good day.

Now, find yourself in trouble and needing a hand, and I put that shyte away, cause a rider is a rider is a rider (even one with horrible taste).

but until then, I'll be passing, waving and going my own way.

Kev

EDIT - PS - to try and deflect some of what I know is coming. There are a limited number of guys out there who TRULY live for fabricating and customizing. I don't mean the bolt on some chrome accessories CRAP, but wrenching, cutting, welding, making their bike VERY, VERY different from stock. I still don't get em, but I'm NOT saying they are "posers" though they do have an element of "look at me, look at me" but then again, I dare say WE ALL have an element of that too. I mean if we didn't we wouldn't bother getting dressed in the morning unless it was cold out, if ya know what I mean, or then again maybe that's why some people DON'T get dressed ... ahh, well, what I mean is if we didn't all have a little of that, we wouldn't care what color our bike was, or how it looked at all, right?

snowman
31st January 2007, 22:00
Ditto for me. I think that a wide tire on a sporty will completely ruin the handling. I want them to make it better (improve the suspension). Figure out how to put more power to the road

They did!!!! It's called a Buell..........:banana:banana:banana:banana

83XLX
1st February 2007, 00:15
I don't have any trouble with a wide tire on a full-blown custom, if that's what you like. Big rear tires are needed on a repli-racer with 150 hp - you NEED the extra rubber to transfer the power to the pavement. A stock Sportster with a fat tire (and fat fender, wider swingarm, etc....) from the factory just looks like an overweight Sportster to me. But I do understand that's the trend, the bad-boy look.

robert
1st February 2007, 00:29
I've come to realize that there are two types of Harley owners: those who ride for the love of it, and those who ride for attention. The attention getters buy OCC or WCC or Big Dog and the bikes are f'n beautiful, but not real functional. Try doing even 100 miles on one of those, and you'll be selling the bike to pay your chiropractor. The rest of us like our bikes to look good, but not at the price of functionality. I personally won't own a bike that I can't ride long and hard. But that's just my 2 cents, and maybe not even worth that much.

xllent01
1st February 2007, 00:42
I don't have any trouble with a wide tire on a full-blown custom, if that's what you like. Big rear tires are needed on a repli-racer with 150 hp - you NEED the extra rubber to transfer the power to the pavement. A stock Sportster with a fat tire (and fat fender, wider swingarm, etc....) from the factory just looks like an overweight Sportster to me. But I do understand that's the trend, the bad-boy look.

The biggest reason they put 200 tires on 150hp race rockets is to help disipate heat faster out of the tire,and the lower profile helps them lean on it harder, although those types of tires are one time use, once the rubber gets hot and then rapidly cools the tire will be slicker than pig snot and not rideable again so they get tossed or recycled.

Now the DOT tire, the average rider will never take it beyond it's ability's, so heat is not an issue.:laugh

For me, as longtime rider and ex-racer i'll take a skinny tire on a sporty anyday, just something about carving corners on a paralell pushrod bike that makes it so much fun, compared to many dirtbikes and rockets and a few cruisers i've owned over the years :banana for me the only 200-250 tire i would have has to be mounted to a Pro-street style hard or softtail frame like RE makes out of SC, nothing better or finer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D :D :D

Gone
1st February 2007, 01:03
Well, the consensus seems to be that fat tires kill handling. I would have sworn it was excess weight and lazy-boy chassis geometry that primarily caused that - with tire width a minor contributor. I apologize for my ignorance - and also apologize for Aprilia, Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki, Yamaha, Ducati, MV Augusta, Buell, Moto-Guzzi, KTM, Britten, Fishcer, etc.

shotgun46
1st February 2007, 01:26
snowman is it finished yet i need to see your pictures !

milmat1
1st February 2007, 01:52
The wider rear tire on the rubber mounts are likely contributors to it's reduced handling....
If the tire gets wider (heavier) There will be more gyro effect trying to make the tire stand up straight...JMO

Evi|grin
1st February 2007, 03:05
I would love to see the Sporties get a factory 180 rear tire. I went from a 180 to a 200 on my VTX and the handling was noticably worse with Metzlers.

I now have a 200 Bridgestone and it handles very similiar to the Metz 180 but spins much less when launching hard.

Granted this is on a bike that is about 200lbs heavier than a Sporty with a lot more torque.

The new XR is using a 180 so maybe that will find its way over to the other models too.

Moved On / My Own Choice
1st February 2007, 14:45
Well, the consensus seems to be that fat tires kill handling. I would have sworn it was excess weight and lazy-boy chassis geometry that primarily caused that - with tire width a minor contributor. I apologize for my ignorance - and also apologize for Aprilia, Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki, Yamaha, Ducati, MV Augusta, Buell, Moto-Guzzi, KTM, Britten, Fishcer, etc.

Boy a people call me an arrogant prick...

Oh, no wait, just an obnoxious asshole.

Dude, get off your high horse and UNDERSTAND the posts.

The consensus is that ALL OTHER FACTORS BEING EQUAL - EXCESSIVELY FAT TIRES kill handling.

And we're also at least touching on TYPE of tire (radial or bias ply) and profile (how rounded or flat it is).

In either case, we're not discussing the relative merrits of chassis design.

IF I WANTED a Guzzi I'd BUY A GUZZI (oh wait, I ride one of them too).

But I'm not going to try and MAKE my Sportster a Guzzi, or an Aprilia, or a Ducati etc.

I just would like to get the best handling out of it that I can given its design limitations.

kay?

K

wowee1
1st February 2007, 14:57
Keep the fat tires on the custom bikes, the Sportys tire is wide enough!

Rascal
1st February 2007, 15:45

Sounds like a good idea to me, I'd love to see a wider rear tire as standard equipment.

LDO
1st February 2007, 16:05
I've come to realize that there are two types of Harley owners: those who ride for the love of it, and those who ride for attention. The attention getters buy OCC or WCC or Big Dog and the bikes are f'n beautiful, but not real functional. Try doing even 100 miles on one of those, and you'll be selling the bike to pay your chiropractor. The rest of us like our bikes to look good, but not at the price of functionality. I personally won't own a bike that I can't ride long and hard. But that's just my 2 cents, and maybe not even worth that much.

Done about 350 miles on my 03 Big Dog and didn't feel any different than on my 05 Sporty. I admit, there are some guys that buy these bikes just for bar hopping and sit outside with their neon lights on which screams, "Hey, I'm a middle aged balding dude but look how cool my bike is!!" But there are those types in the Harley crowd too. I've got 15k on my BD now and my buddy has 21K on his 05 (HIS COMMUTER BIKE!). I think if you like something, you can MAKE it more functional if that's what you want to ride.

Hmmm, isn't that what all of us here have done with our sportys???????

Bottom line is that there IS a market for the wide (or wider) tire and lots of people like it. Even HD has started putting wider tires on their bikes now, bigger motor, 6 speed tranny, etc. I also agree that the line should be drawn somewhere just like with everything else. Go to a bike show and you'll see beautiful works of art which you would never ride anywhere. Where's the functionality in a back up camera with an LCD in the gas tank????

Moved On / My Own Choice
1st February 2007, 16:18
I think bike shows suck too... but I'm funny like that.

robert
1st February 2007, 16:47
I like bike shows, but I'd never buy one of those bikes. LDO is right, there's that "look at me" element in the Harley crowd too. I'm not knocking those bikes, they're just built for a different purpose. If you can get in a lot of miles on your Big Dog, that's great. I've seen very few custom bikes that can win a show and still be street legal. Heck, OCC doesn't even put turn signals on most of their bikes! And yes, you can make it more comfortable, but if I spend $40k on anything, it better be perfect already!

robert
1st February 2007, 16:50
Oh, by the way, I do like the look of wide rear tires. They look awesome. But I've seen two of those bikes go down trying to turn at low speeds because the tire wasn't designed for leaning.

ed_in_az
1st February 2007, 16:50
When I had my '03 I wanted a wider tire, but not for $2,000+ so I left it alone. When they put the 150s on the rubbermounts I thought that was great. I still do. I like the the look of the slightly wider tire. I have no desire to go wider than that. I'd rather ride than pose. Though I have posed my bike before and taken pics of it.

YMMV

johnnybgood
1st February 2007, 17:29
When they put the 150s on the rubbermounts I thought that was great. I still do. I like the the look of the slightly wider tire. I have no desire to go wider than that.

Yeah, the 150 is perfect imho.

John

tjtony15
6th May 2011, 15:07
i agree with John

BMXATV
10th May 2011, 19:05
i sure hope not.......that's what i like about the sportster. skinny lane splitters forever!

Bone
10th May 2011, 19:36
Old thread ressurrected - trip down memory lane and all that.

UPDATE to my own post of 4 years ago

Oh there are lots of things that COULD be done ... whether or not they WILL be done is another question.

Me, I'm gonna start slow, like by swapping the stock Dunlop for a Metzler when Jenn finally wears that Dunlop down a tad more.

And if that doesn't do the job for quicker turning, we're gonna step down from the 150 to a 130 or 140 and see how that helps....

But I'm figuring even just the switch to the Metzler profile will be a boon to turning.

K

When the time came we went to a 140 ME880 Marathon and it DEFINTELY IMPROVED HANDLING - turn in was quicker with less effort, and it's every bit as stable in the wet or dry. Very happy with that change.

We've since also raised the rear, raised the front, put dual discs and a better suspension on both ends and it's like a new bike.

Though in the end that didn't stop Jenn from wanting a Ducati (which I just got back from a little 40 mile lunchtime spin on and well, that's another beast).