PDA

View Full Version : "H" side covers on 50th anniversary model

Gary7
10th February 2007, 02:13
If I wanted to get a set of the "H" side covers that come on the 50th model, is this something the dealer could order? How would I find the part numbers?

Screw Loose Dan
10th February 2007, 05:54
Gary,

I believe you can order those from any dealer. I just checked online at surdyke.com and they have them. If you had a parts book (PN 99451-07), you could look up the part number ;) . Here's the part numbers/descriptions:

66464-07 - Side Cover, left - "S/COVER, LH, BLACK W/SILKSCREEN"
66465-07 - Side Cover, right - "S/COVER, RH, BLACK W/SILKSCREEN"

They seem a little pricey (for me anyway) at $64/side. But, they are apparently cheaper then the stock ones for other models (except the 883R w/satin covers).

Moved On
10th February 2007, 06:40
You can buy those decals from J&P, they sell HD decals made by the factory. It's the same decal that was used in the 50's and early 60's.

Gazza

Gary7
10th February 2007, 08:17
I used Photoshop to add the H sidecover to a vivid black XL883. I also added the pullback handlebars from the 883L since that's what I have on mine. What do you think?

I like 'em. :banana

http://www.oysterquartz.net/Sportster/XL883H.jpg

Crusin_w00kie
10th February 2007, 08:20
adds a nice touch to it...I like.

Gary7
25th November 2008, 16:14
Better late than never. I started this thread almost two years ago and just now got around to ordering the H sidecovers from Zanotti today. :banadanc

Gary7
25th November 2008, 19:42
Can someone tell me what is involved in removing the oil tank cover?

(The left side one seems pretty straight forward.)

Folkie
26th November 2008, 09:40
Take the dipstick out first. The cover clips on at the bottom. You have to prise the cover down slightly (where it clips on underneath), to release it. Then just pull it off.

Bob F
26th November 2008, 14:55
Take the dipstick out first. The cover clips on at the bottom.
You have to pry the cover down slightly (where it clips on underneath), to release it. Then just pull it off.

It comes off very easy, just a few seconds, be gentle.

Gary7
26th November 2008, 16:14
Thanks, guys.

I got an e-mail from Zanotti saying they didn't have these in stock and would have to order them from HD. I pretty much expected this, so it will probably be at least a couple weeks before I get 'em.

A little Sportster trivia: Anyone know the meaning of this "H" that has adorned the side covers of many past XLs?

ReddTigger
26th November 2008, 16:22
Thanks, guys.

I got an e-mail from Zanotti saying they didn't have these in stock and would have to order them from HD. I pretty much expected this, so it will probably be at least a couple weeks before I get 'em.

A little Sportster trivia: Anyone know the meaning of this "H" that has adorned the side covers of many past XLs?

Back in the day (1958) it was a designation of High Compression, or High Performance or HOT.. Originally was the XL then became XLH.. The CH was for Competition models....... The H version also came with a little more "bling"

flathead45
26th November 2008, 16:24
in a nutshell

"H"... electric start

"CH"... kickstart

Folkie
26th November 2008, 16:26
Is it the same as the H in XLCH, which I think stands for High compression?

flathead45
26th November 2008, 16:31
"ch" competition hot

"h" high compression

you tell me the difference :smoke

the late great "Asp" (hal robinson) called the ch "charley horse" for its ability to cripple

Gary7
26th November 2008, 16:41
Yeah, in my reading of the history of the MoCo it said somewhere that prior to the introduction of the K model "H" mean "Heavy Duty." With the K and subsequent XL models, the "H" denoted "high compression" or "high performance."

ReddTigger
26th November 2008, 16:46
originally the compression of the K and later XL models had a compression of 7.5:1. Once the H designation came around it was 9.5:1 (which is considered High)

The C or Competition models had less bling and more zing and also later were offered with the High Compression of 9.5:1 making a CH...

That was of course until everything changed after AMF...

bmorebhoy
27th November 2008, 02:31
email Rick Simpson at rdns@geneseo.net

He has a lot of decals and transfers and has the "H" and "R" oil tank decals.

M-16pilot
28th November 2008, 03:21
You can buy those decals from J&P, they sell HD decals made by the factory. It's the same decal that was used in the 50's and early 60's.

Gazza

Anyone have the J&P part #

I think it would look great on my 07 1200L

Tim

Folkie
28th November 2008, 08:52
Anyone have the J&P part #

I think it would look great on my 97 1200L

TimHere it is:

http://img.jpcycles.com/zoom/740-377_A.jpg (http://www.jpcycles.com/ProductDetail.aspx?PID=740-377&source=08harley) (clickety click)

Gary7
8th December 2008, 17:28
The H covers from Zanotti arrived today.

I never paid that much attention to the covers that are on my bike, but I assumed they were plastic. These covers with the H on them are METAL. Are the std covers metal?

Folkie
8th December 2008, 18:08
Yes they're metal. Do you mean to say you'd never taken a side cover off?

Gary7
8th December 2008, 18:41
Yes they're metal. Do you mean to say you'd never taken a side cover off?

No. I've never had any reason to, so why would I? :confused:

83XLX
8th December 2008, 18:52
From what I read, one of them comes off pretty easily....:p

Folkie
8th December 2008, 19:27
No. I've never had any reason to, so why would I? :confused:I can think of several reasons: curiosity, take out the maxi fuse when doing any work on the electrics, check tightness of battery terminals, attach a charger pigtail, or, as 83XLX says, because the battery cover just falls off,

You must be, like me, one of the very few that haven't had the side cover fall off.

Gary7
12th December 2008, 02:37
I've just posted these for sale in the classified section. (http://xlforum.net/pp_classified/showproduct.php/product/4245) Obviously, since I'm getting a new Super Glide I don't see any sense in putting them on my bike just to trade it in. They aren't going to give me more for it with these covers on there.

If these have not sold by Monday, Dec 15, I will send them back to Zanotti and take the 20% hit for restocking.

http://xlforum.net/pp_classified/data/4/H_cover.jpg