PDA

View Full Version : Got started today

Gone
26th March 2005, 00:03
Thanks for all the advice on the forum. I changed my taillight today to a panacea smoke laydown lens with turnsignals included. Then I changed the handlebars for a set of drag bars I got off of ebay--probably taken from an custom. I was going to put on some 4 1/2 inch risers but decided after I got the bars off that the regular ones worked ok. I still need to relocate my turn signals but there is enough room for now.

I'm really pumped. It took me about 3 hours for all of this and I'm about half way done with my mods. I've still got my boss bags to put on along with my highway pegs, but besides that I'm finished :laugh . I bought some mirrors but the damn things buzz at speed. I might send them back and just use the stocks for now.

Anybody know the law on mirrors? Do I need both?

Thanks for the warning about those little brass ferules or whatever they were--saved me from hunting in the dirt for them!

I'll put some pictures up when I'm finished.

Thanks again. :smoke

txsporty
26th March 2005, 05:04
wseamus

Good to hear you "did it yourself" !!!!! :D

Congrats!!! :clap :clap

dabronco
26th March 2005, 06:10
The law on mirrors varies state to state. Two mirrors look more balanced, and you will find with one mirror, the bike will want to turn the opposite direction of the installed mirror and it only gets worse the faster you go. I personally want the best WORKING mirrors I can get because everyone wants to kill me out there!

Geek
26th March 2005, 06:16
I know that in Illinois we are not required to have any mirrors.

Kenny
26th March 2005, 06:21
I know that in Illinois we are not required to have any mirrors.

According to this site IL requires mirrors.

IL state MC laws (http://www.law4hogs.com/laws/illinois.html)

You can also click on the state of interest for their local laws.

Gone
26th March 2005, 06:27
It felt really good. I guess what has stopped me in the past from working on my bike has been the terrible fear that I will screw it up beyond all and have to run with my tail between my legs to the nearest dealer. I was only nervous today putting the taillight on. I really don't know anything about electrical sh*t and I didn't want to have to rewire the bike b/c I melted everything. The only trouble I ran into was where to put all those extra wires that I had to add to the harness under the seat. I eventually just shoved them in where ever they fit. Next up are the highway bars. I got them from a suggestion on the site--some place in PA. I have to undo the bottom engine mount. The saddlebags and shocks that i have to put on are just a pain without a jack. I am seriously thinking of getting one just so I can give myself a little room to work under the fender.

Any other suggestions for putting the saddle bag mounts on without a jack?

I also need to know how to remove the rear turn signals. Are they easy to get off?

Thanks,
wyk

Geek
26th March 2005, 06:29
Guess your right Kenny. I thought for sure we didn't have to have any. I know several bikes without them and they have never been stopped for that. But they have for other things.

Nice site though. Thanks for the link. :D

Kenny
26th March 2005, 06:35
My pleasure Geek, but remember, don't believe everything you read. This was located doing a yahoo search and is just for reference. Alaways make sure to consult your local state officials for the most up to date laws.

We now return you to the regularly scheduled program already in progress.

bubbahog
27th March 2005, 16:24
If they're saddlebag brackets for throwover bags, you shouldn't have to jack the bike up. Just do one side at a time. The other shock will hold the bike just fine, it won't sag a bit.

If the new shocks are the same length as the old ones, same deal. One side at a time. If they're different lengths, well, you'll be needing a jack.

You might consider getting a jack anyway. It's pretty handy, especially if you've got to muck around with the wiring inside the fender.