PDA

View Full Version : Is the Nightster a Hit?

JohnT
18th February 2007, 04:13
Apparently so. I took a 200 mile ride yesterday (it was in the high 70s here) and stopped at three Harley dealers. They each received one Nightster last week and sold them immediately, in one case, in two hours. Considering that the bike market is kind of slow right now, that's pretty impressive. If this holds true for other areas of the country, I guess Harley's going to sell loads of these.

hog rider
18th February 2007, 04:20
stoped by my dealers and they had one they were putting to gether. the black one nice little hot rod.if exil built a sporty that thing would be close i would buy one but the wife would kill me.think it would look good with min apes.

Terry C.
18th February 2007, 16:04
My boss wants one. He's selling his blinged-out V-Rod (and taking a bath, but he's sick of it) and wants a Nightster.

gymrat523
18th February 2007, 16:14
They look great, a little to low for me
http://xlforum.net/photopost/data/749/medium/danny_sportster_021107.jpg

dakota_dj
18th February 2007, 16:38
Looked at and set on a black one the other day at the local dealer. I would not waste my time or money on one of those bikes. It may be a type of bike for some but for me I think the bike sucks. I did not pay that much for my 05 Custom as they want for the Notster. I think it is way too much money for that bike and I think it looks stupid.

maddog
18th February 2007, 17:27
Looked at and set on a black one the other day at the local dealer. I would not waste my time or money on one of those bikes. It may be a type of bike for some but for me I think the bike sucks. I did not pay that much for my 05 Custom as they want for the Notster. I think it is way too much money for that bike and I think it looks stupid.

Over half the people in this forum have done, or plan to do, the mods that
the factory built into this bike. You are entitled to your opinion, but is it
necessary to insult other peoples taste by calling it stupid ?

Matt
18th February 2007, 17:35
I personally think apes, forwards and customs in general look , well, stupid. What I think doesn't matter because most people here think what I think is stupid. We all have different tastes. The Nightster is a masterpiece of marketing. I want one!
Matt

dakota_dj
18th February 2007, 17:37
maddog

If I think it looks stupid what else would I call it. I am not trying to insult anyone. Like you said it is my opinion.

BWP 5p
18th February 2007, 18:12
most people here think what I think is stupid.
Matt

If I think what I think is stupid then if I think what you think I think......does that make us Smart:laugh :p :p :p
I can't tell what I think about it until I actually see one in person. Some things I like about it from the pictures....some things I don't......but I like my Roadster....and some may think it's stupid....but I could care less (well maybe a little). Some think my fairing looks stupid.....I'm not in love with it either...BUT it sure makes it much nicer to ride at speed!
That doesn't make me stupid though.....the VO and Beer do that:D :laugh

4banger
18th February 2007, 18:17
I was at the dealer and they too just got one in. A elder lady was going to buy it, from what I saw. The license plate holder is a crack up the way you can kick it with your foot to fold it back so no one can see your plate. Very criminal in style. Must be part of the "bad boy" image.

EezyE
18th February 2007, 18:19
I was at my dealer yesterday and they had two on the floor. They had the silver and black paint jobs. I really like all of the blacked out parts on it. All it needs is a set of mini apes.

Johnny Wolf
18th February 2007, 18:24
I saw one in person yesterday, I liked everything about it except for the grey powdercoat. IMHO they should have went black like the other "night-bikes".

The grey reminds me of old "pot-metal" and looks ugly/cheap.

Clipper
18th February 2007, 20:16
I really liked the concept when I first saw it but the longer I look the less I like it. It's starting to look 'hokey' to me, kinda made-up phoney. Anyway, I'm sure lots of them will sell and if the buyer likes it then that's all that counts. To each his own.

roadogette
18th February 2007, 20:44
I saw one in person yesterday, I liked everything about it except for the grey powdercoat. IMHO they should have went black like the other "night-bikes".

The grey reminds me of old "pot-metal" and looks ugly/cheap.

I agree that they should have gone all black. The dealer has two in. One orange and black, the other all black. Was discussing it with the manager and he thinks it might have been a matter of trying to keep the cost down. (ie; under 10,000). I do like the bike, but I'm not giving up mine.

oakies
18th February 2007, 20:47
To each his own...Im not a big fan of it. Seems way overpriced, $900 more than a Roadster. If you want to see a real Bobber...Just look through the galley here for some nicer ones JMO

designeraccd
19th February 2007, 00:35
To each his own and given the market research I would assume H-D did; betcha it is a STRONG seller. Would I buy one? No, I'll stick with my modified (mostly for curve carving; well as much as a H-D product can...) '04 1200R. BTW, as I told my son: when I die...my 1200R can be sold or buried with me. Not something I felt (even tho I really liked them) about my 3 earlier Sportys! DFO :D

dagsportster
19th February 2007, 00:58
Signs point to yes!

jeffou812
19th February 2007, 01:18
Personally I don't like nothing about them. If half the riders on here are trying to achieve that look, as one member posted, then so be it. But, as I said I don't like the look, and to each his own. Kinda like peoples taste in women I suppose:D

66impala
19th February 2007, 02:21
Sure there is a market for this bike. How about all the viewers of biker build off and OCC that dont want a over priced unreliable bike. We can always use new members on the site.

sportysrock
19th February 2007, 02:21
I would take the all black one or none of them, but I ain't about to pay $900 more than a 1200R for what amounts to a chopped fender and license plate mount.

I respect others opinions though - and wouldn't say it is a bad looking bike.

hog rider
19th February 2007, 02:38
i thought this was a sportster forum.some of us here are putting down a sporty what a crying shame:frownthre

xllent01
19th February 2007, 03:02
Sure there is a market for this bike. How about all the viewers of biker build off and OCC that dont want a over priced unreliable bike. We can always use new members on the site.
:roflblack :roflblack :roflblack :roflblack :roflblack :roflblack :roflblack :roflblack :roflblack :roflblack

Just what we need, more of those trendy whore types who can't even change there own oil.

jdb
19th February 2007, 04:36

I read several people share this opinion on this site and I don't really get it because the Nightster looks nothing like an OCC theme bike or anything on the Biker Buildoff shows, with the possible exception of some "old school" builders like Indian Larry. And I don't follow the logic that the Nightster is for posers who can't customize their own bikes. I guess I'm a poser too because I got a XLC instead of adding the 21 in wheel and forward controls myself. And just imagine all those posers that buy Dyna's. By God, "real" bikers get FLs and swap out the forks for an XL front end like back in the day.

I, for one, am glad to see the factory do something "out of the box" with the Sportster and create some excitement. Can a CVO be far off?

dynamos2000
19th February 2007, 04:55
Wow. I have always wanted a sporty and when I saw the nightster, I had to have it. Within 4 hours I had sold my 7 month old vrod slayer, a silver M109 and the guy was on his way from FL to TN to pick it up. Its been pretty cold here (20s-30s) but I've gotten about 75 miles on the bike. Its beautiful. May not be everyone's cup of tea but that doesn't somehow make the bike... ummm stupid. Anyway...

Gone
19th February 2007, 07:46
I think the Nightster is a good looking bike. Harley did a good job on this one.

Gone
19th February 2007, 07:48
Hog Rider, you are so right!!!!

Gone
19th February 2007, 09:04
Still seems as though the "Nightster" should have had the blacked out engine - just to match the name. I think it looks good. Stick on a scabbard and shotgun and you have the "Fightster".

roadster
19th February 2007, 10:08
Hmmm,the new Creedster. Powerful,heavy bike. Shit suspension. Almost no lean angle and one front disc. All for only 9 bones extra. Brilliant!

Since I'm a (very small) MOCO shareholder,I hope they sell a million.

opiewontaylor
19th February 2007, 10:36
I think it's too early to determine whether it's a bonafide hit or not. In the past, some new models sold well initially, then sales went flat. If it's still selling to capacity in a couple of years, then, to me anyway, it's a hit. (still looks dinky though)

dynamos2000
19th February 2007, 15:31
Hmmm,the new Creedster. Powerful,heavy bike. Shit suspension. Almost no lean angle and one front disc. All for only 9 bones extra. Brilliant!

Since I'm a (very small) MOCO shareholder,I hope they sell a million.

Hey beave, I think if someone is wanting a canyon carver, that maybe the sportster in any form is not high on the list. :doh Front brake is definitely weak but I'm used to the heavy duty brakes on the m109. Steel line and new pads should help a good bit. Maybe they will let you design the next one since these aren't selling well. :rolleyes:

Personally, my plan is to, by the end of fall, have this turned into a HD equivalent of a Triumph Scrambler. First thing on the list is to swap out the suspension and add some progressive springs. "then why start with the nightster???" 1. cause i wanted to 2. My g/f can ride it and we can swap rides until I decide to raise the bike up.

bmcdonau
19th February 2007, 16:17
If a forum member had "modified" their sporty to look like that he'd get all kinds of compliments, even from people who don't like the bobber look. Since the MOCO put it together from the factory it gets all kinds of criticism. Its a different style for different tastes. I think its okay not to like it, but you don't have to be insulting about it because someone on the forum is going to buy one if they haven't already. We don't insult each other right? They already produce three different styles, four if you count the XL50, so what's one more?

klown
19th February 2007, 16:23
Just out of curiousity, does anybody know the last bike that HD introduced that wasn't a hit? I figured the vrod wouldn't be popular when it came out, but it's still going strong. Seems like recently all thier product decisions have turned to gold. Anybody have any ideas? :smoke

CrazyDave S.Y.L.B
19th February 2007, 16:46
I would buy the Olive drab & denim blk if it wasn't Fuel Ingected :(

pquirk
19th February 2007, 17:55
Just out of curiousity, does anybody know the last bike that HD introduced that wasn't a hit? I figured the vrod wouldn't be popular when it came out, but it's still going strong. Seems like recently all thier product decisions have turned to gold. Anybody have any ideas? :smoke
The MoCo spends mucho dinero on market research, they don't tend to throw it all against the wall to see what sticks, they figure out what will sell and then build it. Their mistakes go away real fast too so they don't throw good money after bad. Some will argue...I'll say look at the balance sheet...:).

klown
19th February 2007, 18:10
The MoCo spends mucho dinero on market research, they don't tend to throw it all against the wall to see what sticks, they figure out what will sell and then build it. Their mistakes go away real fast too so they don't throw good money after bad. Some will argue...I'll say look at the balance sheet...:).

Yeah, I guess that was my point. Of course the nightster will be a hit, I can't remember the last bike that HD made that wasn't. I'm sure there have been some bombs, but I can't remember any of them. :smoke

Gary7
19th February 2007, 18:19
HD of Greenville, SC has one on the floor now. Wonder if it will be there when I take my bike in for the recall service on Thursday? :shhhh

http://www.h-dog.com/bikephotos2/DSC00029.JPG

Snuffy
19th February 2007, 18:31
I honestly think that this Sporty will be their biggest seller, although they probably should have put forward controls on it. Just an opinion. I don't care for forward but in this case I think it would have gone with the scooter. HD's marketing probably left it mids for the xtra bucks involved[after market]

KC_Sporty_Gal
19th February 2007, 18:33
A gal in my BACA chapter just got one. I think it's the perfect bike for a short woman! :rofl Actually I do like it but think it's too short and I'm not a fan of mids.

Johnny Wolf
19th February 2007, 19:02
I honestly think that this Sporty will be their biggest seller, although they probably should have put forward controls on it. Just an opinion. I don't care for forward but in this case I think it would have gone with the scooter. HD's marketing probably left it mids for the xtra bucks involved[after market]

IMHO

Forwards would not go with the "retro" styling of the bike.

06chopperblue
19th February 2007, 19:12
I think it's a pretty good looking bike, a little spendy for what you get, but it's a neat bike. I would like to have the wheels for mine though!!! :) I hope they do sell a bundle of em', maybe I can find a wrecked one someday!! :) Not that I want some poor slob to have a wreck, .........aw you know what I mean!:)

drthem
19th February 2007, 19:14
they sold right away here in central fla and i am happy to say i got one,bye the way i can ghange my own oil.ive been around harleys since the early 70`s,just because someone has a new bike or new model does not make them a poser thx i love your forum

emzdogz
19th February 2007, 19:22
I think it's a pretty good looking bike, a little spendy for what you get, but it's a neat bike. I would like to have the wheels for mine though!!! :) I hope they do sell a bundle of em', maybe I can find a wrecked one someday!! :) Not that I want some poor slob to have a wreck, .........aw you know what I mean!:)

yeah wouldn't it be cool if this were sold as an "el cheapo" 1200 model? Say for $1000 less? Seeing as how there's no chrome and all.
but nooooooooooo....
I still want one REAL bad, but have to wait.
"Got the hesitation socks, got the hesitation shoes
I believe I got the hesitation blues....."

:rolleyes:

johnwestphal
19th February 2007, 19:25
I think I'd have to lose the fork boots, put on a badlander seat, forward controls, diamond plate pegs/grips, s/s cables/lines and SE AC/Mufflers to suit my taste.

xllent01
20th February 2007, 00:19
Great bike, :rolleyes: every Trendy clown will own one come spring time and think it was an original design by the motor co and those who worked so hard to achieve the look prior to production will be known as copycats.:doh

Would i own one? certainley when they become a dime a dozen and some RUB needs to sell it at a loss cause he has to much garage jewerly then i would consider it.:laugh

Johnny Wolf
20th February 2007, 00:30
Great bike, :rolleyes: every Trendy clown will own one come spring time and think it was an original design by the motor co and those who worked so hard to achieve the look prior to production will be known as copycats

This is EXACTALLY what I thought the 1st time I saw it...been a little pissy about it ever since.:rolleyes:

Rascal
20th February 2007, 00:34

Don't hold back! Tell us what you really think...:clap

06chopperblue
20th February 2007, 02:03
they sold right away here in central fla and i am happy to say i got one,bye the way i can ghange my own oil.ive been around harleys since the early 70`s,just because someone has a new bike or new model does not make them a poser thx i love your forum

Yeah, what's up with that anyway..........why is it if a guy/gal buys something new they are suddenly labeled as a POSER? I mean this phrase is used for everything it seems like............if a guy wears Vans shoes suddenly he's a Poser skater.....or gets a new tattoo he is a poser.........this whole play or wording has really bugged me. I guess then at some point everyone started out as a poser.........just rambling on, not trying to hi-jack the thread.:tour

tjnichols16
27th February 2007, 03:57
ya just by a 1200 c and not have to put on fc and it less $ and u don't have to get that awfull gray looking engine
Just what I think

renpia
27th February 2007, 04:37
Did anyone call a 1200 Custom a poser bike when it came out? We should be thankful we have so many choices of Sportsters. Buy what you want.

Might-Nightster
27th February 2007, 07:30
check my screen name. I wasn't even INTERESTED in a Harley till I saw this bike.

It's on my top three list for bike to buy next fall. That's when I'll be ready to purchase. At this point I want either one of these or a Buell Lightning 12Scg.

Look at it this way, it was either a Yamaha R1 or an RC51 before.

bud095
27th February 2007, 08:06
i like it! and dont give a rip what others think of it

BWP 5p
27th February 2007, 18:36
i like it! and dont give a rip what others think of it

It'll be YOUR hard earned $$$$$ buying it so THAT'S really all that matters isn't it?!?!?!?!?!:clap :clap :clap :clap :clap

MikeOK
27th February 2007, 19:40
It sure caught my attention and I've never owned a Harley. The thing is it has me looking at the obvious alternatives (1200R and mods) which I can do (and probably cheaper). We Americans are marketing geniuses!!

kevinhdy
27th February 2007, 20:26
My dealer got one in on Friday afternoon so I went over there today (Tuesday) at lunch to check it out in person. They sold it on Saturday morning. They say they'll get another one in in the next couple weeks.

Shu
27th February 2007, 20:53
I really looked one over and sat on one at the dealer yesterday. The bike has a style very similar to the Streetbob only taken further to the dark side (blacked out). The one I looked at was vivid black. I love my bike in vivid black, but on this one, the denim black looks great. I wish they made one in solid demin black.

Sitting on the bike, it sits about 1/2 inch higher than mine. Which I really like the low look. I love the wheels, belt guard, front fender support etc. I would have liked the Customs headlight on it, but flat black. A short riser and drag bars, but that is my taste. The rear fender looks good. I was not crazy about the gap between the seat and tank and the overall shape of the solo seat. I liked the engine color, but the heads should have been the same charcoal gray. The exhaust is BEGGING for exhaust wrap! The licence plate set up is cool in concept, but it felt pretty flimsy to me. I wonder how many people will get pulled over because they forgot to flip it out before riding. I would have to put forward controls on it though since it felt cramped to me (but again that could be because I am used to forward controls). All in all it is a good looking bike. I can see how it could offend those who have bobbered their Sportster already, but they should really take this as a HUGE compliment from HD.

The one thing that really was a big disaapointment is the wiring. Everywhere you look on these new bikes, you have wires all bundled up and hanging. The area up around the coil is a spaghetti bowl and the area under the front of the seat is not much better.

yorgo
27th February 2007, 21:01
I'm more into roadsters and the N isn't really my style BUT I gotta hand it to Harley. I think they've done a great job on the bike. If it were my thing I would be picking one up. I'm waiting for the XR to come out. I'll be first in line.

SportyJoe
27th February 2007, 21:03
I think the bike as a whole is kinda cool looking, but I hate those gators...makes it look like a dirt bike.. but other than that I like it.

Big_Baazzoo
27th February 2007, 21:13
I like it alot. I'm really sick and tired of newbies to this forum bashing other's rides and calling everybody poseurs. (note correct spelling. I think you are a poseur if you cant spell the word.)

po·seur /poʊˈzɜr; Fr. pɔˈzɶr/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[poh-zur; Fr. paw-zɶr] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–noun, plural -seurs /-ˈzɜrz; Fr. -ˈzɶr/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[-zurz; Fr. -zɶr] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation.
a person who attempts to impress others by assuming or affecting a manner, degree of elegance, sentiment, etc., other than his or her true one.

renpia
28th February 2007, 04:18
I think the bike as a whole is kinda cool looking, but I hate those gators...makes it look like a dirt bike.. but other than that I like it.

The gators are not going to appeal to everybody. But if you like that old school look, the gators achieves it. I happen to like it and before the nightster came out, I had ordered them for my bike. Now jerks are gonna think I copied the Nightster. :p

Felix
28th February 2007, 04:42
Renpia
I agree. I put gators on my bike over a year ago (and I had a heck of a time finding any that would fit) and blacked out the wheels. I was ahead of the curve, now I look like I'm copying! Go figure.

jwb47
28th February 2007, 04:47
I looked at 2 yesterday a black one and an orange and black one , I dont think I will be trading my roadster any time soon on one , I already stated my thoughts in a different thread and I see no need to re plow the same ground.
I think the bike will be a hit reguardless of what I or anybody else here thinks.
its your money buy what you want and ride what you like .

04ctd
28th February 2007, 04:53
what are gators?

i would cut the fork covers off (the plastic dust boots)

Krylon the Air cover flat black,
and save up for a flat black thunder header.

i like it.

the license plate is more practical than gimmick, how well would that work in the garage, if it did not fold up?

my buddy is trying to sell one of his scoots, or either build a new house (larger garage) to keep his mess in.

they may refine it and offer more colors in coming years.

and the rims should be the profile smooth rims.

and red pinstripe on tires.

mid controls are a PAIN - they are right where you put your feet down, my wife already caught her pants leg on the peg & dropped it, and i have come very close.

the 07 does have wires EVERYWHERE.

if that is the same seat as the 07 low, it is paper thin. a fullsize person will compress it, and sit on the pan.

Felix
28th February 2007, 04:59
"Gators" are the rubber, not plastic, boots that fit over the forks.
They were standard fare on most bikes until the early 70's. They really don't do anything much. You either like that "old" look or you hate it. It's an opinion thing.

bshadbolt
28th February 2007, 05:06
Renpia
I agree. I put gators on my bike over a year ago (and I had a heck of a time finding any that would fit) and blacked out the wheels. I was ahead of the curve, now I look like I'm copying! Go figure.

I've got black Sun rims on my roadster and have a set of gaitors waiting to be fitted. I'm also drilling the chainguard and a few other things, but all this was planned well before the Nightster came out.

Cheers,

Brett

waspkid
28th February 2007, 06:39
I saw one @ the local stealership and think the MoCo did a pretty good job. They've obviously seen the galleries here and on sportster.org and have built a version of our beloved Sporty that will surely appeal to many riders. I like the retro styling, the blacked out bars, controls, struts & signal housings. I like the idea of drag bars and fc's (also black). And, the gators of old, which we called fork boots, were functional. They were there to protect the fork tubes and seals from dust, sand, pitting and drying that shortened their useful life. I like the overall raw look they developed, it looks like something that was pieced together in a garage, but with the benefit of current technology. Obviously not everyone's taste, but then what single machine is.

:tour :tour :tour :tour :tour :tour

Big_Baazzoo
28th February 2007, 06:46
I bought a set of gaitors, rubber fork boots, for Ol' Betty, last fall. $20. Maybe this Spring I put them on, and see what Y'All think.

hdmc_ru2
28th February 2007, 08:01
The Custom

The Roadster

The Low

The XR

The Night

This is Awesome! We currently have 5 kinds of Sportsters on the market, all creating different rides for different hides! They are all cool in their own DNA.

Personally, this animal skin covers the Roadster.:p

Man, I think it's great to have all those choices! Thanks HD!

What other single production motorcycle gives you all those different options?

gronk62
28th February 2007, 08:12
The Custom

The Roadster

The Low

The XR

The Night

This is Awesome! We currently have 5 kinds of Sportsters on the market, all creating different rides for different hides! They are all cool in their own DNA.

What a great post!!

This sums it up perfectly :)

sportyone
28th February 2007, 08:42
:banana Sportsters RULE:clap No other Harley (or ANY bike for that matter) in history has ever had NINE models in one year:banana :banana :banana

Weo
28th February 2007, 09:13
I think its a good looking bike... for the most part.

I put the gaiters or fork covers, or whatever they're called on my bike 5 years ago. I just liked the look. I just went to a motorcross store and ordered some universals for my size forks and legs. I had considered painting my rims, until I saw them on the Nightster. The only thing I REALLY don't like is the rear belt cover.

I say, anything that gets more Sportster riders out their the better. Its not like there aren't accessories out their so that people can tweak the performance/look of it. I have a feeling that most people here haven't kept their rides bone stock. $900 bucks more? If it gets more people to get into Sportsters instead of paying $5000 more for a BT (who are in it just for the looks) then who cares? If they sell out, I can buy the parts or bike for cheap.

I don't know what the market is like now, but when I bought my Sportster it was like this: more Sportsters in the US than any other model of any other brand -> but very little customizing options compared to the BT owners.

I don't have the know-how or equipment to customize a lot of things I wanted to have done, and custom machine/motorcycle shops would laugh at me if I asked to get a 4 inch piece of metal powdercoated or drilled and tapped, etc. They don't want to touch anything they couldn't make at least $500 on.

Harley's pushing the Sportster now, probably because of this new model. As long as it ends up giving me more options/parts for me and my Sporty in the future I'm all for it.

Here's a link to an interview Cycle World did with the guy that designed the Nightster. It might answer a few questions, or create some new ones: http://www.cycleworld.com/article.asp?section_id=3&article_id=272

dynamos2000
28th February 2007, 18:34
The Custom

The Roadster

The Low

The XR

The Night

You said it

Gone
28th February 2007, 22:07
Sorry guys-

I still can't get excited about that bike. What I'd really like to see is a reproducton of the 1968 XLCH, but with the 1200 evo engine or maybe a tad bit bigger, like the 88 cubic inch kit :D. A sprung solo seat would be a nice touch, laced alloy wheels. Yeah, that would make me a happy camper.

flatlander
28th February 2007, 22:22
Their are some things I really like about the nightster. I will be honest it is not my style. But then again nothing is, I like chrome, apes, bobbed rear fenders, forward controls, wrapped drag pipes etc... My choice in customizing is an enigma, some bobber, some chopper, some stock, some custom etc... I like the overall theme/design of the nightster, some things I would change. It is that way with all Harley's though. Why do you think their is such a large aftermarket(factory/independent) for Harleys.

waiteitei
28th February 2007, 22:24
nightster is a lot nicer than that horrible XR1200

68B_Body
28th February 2007, 22:38
id love to have one, but 12k is way out of my price range. i can't see spending that much on a sportster. i plan on making mine look like one. i think a solid mount sportster would look better as a nightster(i don't care for the look of the oil and other side cover on the rubbermounts). i love the color scheme of the nightster satin black and silver with the flat black and grey engine. only dislike i have is the name. Bobster don't sound bad tho...

ponti1
28th February 2007, 22:40
I'd like to have one, though it would still need a little *tweaking* to meet my needs.

HellRazur
28th February 2007, 23:28
Bye the time I got done reading all the crybaby post I forgot what this thread is about?

669Sprink
28th February 2007, 23:54
If HD want's to do somthing cool with the sporty..Go vintage! no love for the "N" here...:frownthre.

flskevin
1st March 2007, 00:20
This came in the mail today...

http://xlforum.net/photopost/data/500/Nightster_cover.jpg

shotgun46
1st March 2007, 01:08
CVO would be cool or a 124" sportster !

shotgun46
1st March 2007, 01:13
they wont put forwards on it cause if ya want em thats another 450 bucks ! it needs forwards and mini apes that would be cool

dynamos2000
1st March 2007, 01:57
Finally broke 250 miles on the nightster, was gonna post pictures but I need to have posted 15 times before I'm allowed to post URLs :frownone

dynamos2000
1st March 2007, 01:58
Only 3 more posts.....

dynamos2000
2 more.... come on... Must concentrate... two more posts....

dynamos2000
Almost there..... must use the force....

dynamos2000
1st March 2007, 01:59
YES!!!!!

http://web.mac.com/alanwhite123/iWeb/Main%20Site/PA%20-%20Bike%20Photos%200207_files/P2280014.jpg

http://web.mac.com/alanwhite123/iWeb/Main%20Site/PA%20-%20Bike%20Photos%200207_files/P2280016.jpg

Rocker59
1st March 2007, 02:07
damn fine looking bike !

PatrickEconomos
1st March 2007, 03:24
Your bike looks damn HOT!!! :D :D :D Congrats..

04ctd
1st March 2007, 03:28
flat krylon that air cleaner!!!

or get a stock one, flat black that one, then see how it looks.

put "trunk splatter" from advance on it to texture it, then flat black.

that looks good! i likes.

risotteria
1st March 2007, 05:28
if youv'e ever had a side mount plate, the downside is walking thru a dark garage and banging your shin on it...harley has designed thr breakaway sidemount to save us a whole lot of cursing and hopping around in our dark garages

ponti1
1st March 2007, 15:43
The more I look at them, the more I like them...Just checked local dealer website (McMahon's HD), and it looks like they have one in stock. I'll be making a pit stop on the way home from work to take a peek in person.

dynamos2000
1st March 2007, 16:19
if youv'e ever had a side mount plate, the downside is walking thru a dark garage and banging your shin on it...harley has designed thr breakaway sidemount to save us a whole lot of cursing and hopping around in our dark garages

I bumped it hard while moving around while gassing up... I hear plastic hit the ground... I pushed the plate backwards farther than it was supposed to go and it pushed off the red lense cover and it rolled a few feet. Luckily no one witnessed this but me. Had to force the plate back under the signal and push the cover back on :doh

HellRazur
2nd March 2007, 00:02
Sweet little scooter bro... hope you have many happy miles with her!!

Weo
2nd March 2007, 01:05
Grats on the bike Dynamos!!!

Don't listen to anyone's cr*p about having a Sportster... err I mean Nightster. Enjoy your ride!!!!

669Sprink
2nd March 2007, 01:10
I still need somthing cool, from HD. You like It thats all thats counts! :clap

Give the riders REAL retro, HD.

Kevin

dynamos2000
2nd March 2007, 01:46
Grats on the bike Dynamos!!!

Don't listen to anyone's cr*p about having a Sportster... err I mean Nightster. Enjoy your ride!!!!

haha I get ragged a bit from work but its always people that don't HAVE a bik to begin with. Plus my last bike was a M109, 120hp at the wheel and this bike is already more fun and dare I say nicer to look at.

M109: "We can take that chump... hey, why are we going so slow? COME ON"

1200N: "She's hot.... nice day ain't it? Lets try that backroad... Sure, whatever speed is fine....."

04ctd
2nd March 2007, 02:55
good post.

enjoy the ride

BWP 5p
2nd March 2007, 03:19
Looks great!
What the heck is that you're carrying on the back:laugh :doh

dynamos2000
2nd March 2007, 03:34
Joe Rocket manta tankbag. That thing sticks like glue, heavy duty magnets for being so tiny. Tryin different stuff since I'm gonna be without my detachable backrest for a bit, getting her done up in shiny black to match the bike.

Gone
2nd March 2007, 03:48
I saw one in black denim at the dealer. I like em. I think H-D has been looking at some of your fellers motercicles. I don't think I could trade my 04 1200custom for one though. Besides I put alot of extra chome on it already. I do like chome-I'm tacky that way. But still the nightster is sweet!

garyharden
13th April 2007, 21:16

Yeah right on DrThem. I been around bikes and bikers too a long time, Had lots of bikes this is my first Harley. bET NO ONE CALLS ME A POSER TO MY FACE!!
rIDE ON pEACE Bro!!!:smoke :smoke

wakeup
13th April 2007, 22:06
This nightster is my second new harley, I pulled just about every dime i had together in order to get this bike. I do most of my work myself or with a friend that is a professional motorcycle mech. Just because you buy a new bike doesn't mean your a poser. (except the first weekend of daytona bike week: several people asked if I did the fender job/paint myself, of course i told them that it was a new model. ...anyway, i kinda selfishly hope the sales of the nighster slow way down soon, I just don't want a lot of people riding around on a bike that looks just like mine, i'm running out of things to make it look better

SportyJoe
13th April 2007, 23:17
Ive been seeing them on the road all over the place here in Dallas...must be a hit!

MusclePump
13th April 2007, 23:50
I have three dealers around here, which in total received eight of these bikes combined, and there's only one dealer that has a single Nightster left.

Gone
14th April 2007, 06:51
The Nightster is a great looking bike. Nice work Harley!

Big_Baazzoo
14th April 2007, 07:39
Yup, it is.

Gone
14th April 2007, 07:53
I highly doubt the other Sportster models slowed significantly in sales. If we could see the sales reports I am quite sure we would see the Nightster is running at full production stride, which will mean thousands more Sportsters sold this year, over last year. The whole line had already perked up in sales with the popularity of the EFI. I would not be surprised to find H-D is now selling as many Sportsters as Kawasaki,Yamaha, and Honda sell of 750cc-1300cc cruisers, combined. The Sportster has always been a fine example of just what it was - a great American machine. The '04+ models are even finer examples of a great American machine. When you look at how few vehicles worldwide have remained in production for 50 years straight it shows just how perfect an imperfect motorcycle hits home. Recall fondly that '65 Mustang or '67 GTO? The difference here is H-D never stopped refining the old classic. Raw, visceral classics with not much in the way of useless gee-gaws, but hints of modern technology akin to the careful breeding of a fine thoroughbred. The moment it fires, you feel the soul.

gronk62
14th April 2007, 09:54
... When you look at how few vehicles worldwide have remained in production for 50 years straight it shows just how perfect an imperfect motorcycle hits home. Recall fondly that '65 Mustang or '67 GTO? The difference here is H-D never stopped refining the old classic. Raw, visceral classics with not much in the way of useless gee-gaws, but hints of modern technology akin to the careful breeding of a fine thoroughbred. The moment it fires, you feel the soul.
Nicely put!!

ivcmccrew
25th June 2007, 17:40

words of wisdom, from a 05 custom owner,,,HA HA jelous

ivcmccrew
25th June 2007, 17:43
maddog

If I think it looks stupid what else would I call it. I am not trying to insult anyone. Like you said it is my opinion.

do you really even know what the word stupid means ??

stevie1
14th November 2007, 19:51
i luv mine t bits!

Fester
14th November 2007, 20:12
I was destined to love a NIGHTSTER

Screwdriver
15th November 2007, 00:21
I actually like the bike....friend of mine who posts here has one.

What I don't get is why people refer to them as bobbers. I am thinking those people have never seen a bobber. I can't post pics yet because my post count is low....but my Avitar to the left is a pic of my Dad's knuckle bobber taken in 1959....That's a classic bobber.

beau650
15th November 2007, 00:33
...that Night Fighter that I see in this string of replies I would buy it in a second. That bike is exactly what I want in a bike. Black, fast, and mean. Simplicity is beauty.

screech69
15th November 2007, 00:54
the 1200N(don't want to affend anyone by calling it a Nightster)is my first bike and besides a few little things that I want to do to it, it is pretty much the bike I would build if the skill level were here! It,s not a bobber, it's Harleys legal version of one.

el jinete fantasma
15th November 2007, 00:57
By definition, you cannot manufacture a bobber or chopper because nothing is bobbed or chopped in its creation.

screech69
16th November 2007, 01:24
good point, my bad!

jimmyess333
16th November 2007, 01:43
I like elements of the Nightster and even copied the tank scheme but I never liked low bikes and short bars. If I had a Nightster I'd put on standard height suspension, pullback bars, back seat and sissy bar, a normal fender and tail light...come to think of it I'd end up with something close to what I have now so why bother.
The only other Nightster styling cues I might borrow are the wheels.

sportyrider
16th November 2007, 02:04
Pull back handlebars and sissy bars don't belong on sport bikes of which the Sportster is the original. If you want a cruiser don't be cheap and buy a Sportster to bastardize, buy a used big twin that is within your budget.

Gone
16th November 2007, 02:19
i got my 1200n about 5 days ago and have put about 500 miles on it so far. has anyone else noticed that the nightster will drag the kick stand in left turns or is that just me. and how about a stutter on a cold start. just wondering

thanks,
Joe

Gone
16th November 2007, 02:31
I hadn't ridden in nearly 20 years the Nightster inspired me enough to order one last Feb and start riding again....I absolutely love it! I had a BSA Victor, a BSA Shooting star and a T120R Triumph Bonneville back in the day. I am 57 and now own a 2007 Vivid Black Nightster ..taxes paid. riding once again!

jimmyess333
16th November 2007, 02:59
Pull back handlebars and sissy bars don't belong on sport bikes of which the Sportster is the original. If you want a cruiser don't be cheap and buy a Sportster to bastardize, buy a used big twin that is within your budget.

I consider the Sportster a STANDARD, a versatile bike that can be hot rodded, cruised, or whatever the owner's imagination can come up with.
People have been putting taller bars and back rests on Sportys for almost as long as HD has been making them. If SOMEONE ELSE's bike bother's you that much then the problem is yours. If no one else has told you then let me be the first, get over it.

el jinete fantasma
16th November 2007, 03:21

Sportsters haven't been competitive "sport bikes" in, what. 30 years? And "bastardizing" a Sporty has nothing to do with BT envy. A Dyna doesn't cost much more than the most expensive XL.

Screwdriver
16th November 2007, 19:46

Hardly the original sportbike....I am sure Vincent, Triumph, BSA, Norton, JAP etc might argue that point.

kbak67
26th June 2008, 05:14
excellent how you put that...

i'm looking at my first Sportster, debating to buy new or used, and I'm considering the 1200N. I don't understand putting down any Sportster or Sportster choice...I mean..it's still a HD and a Sportster right?

I got inked up already, buy a 1200N, ...guess i'm going to hit a double pose!!!:banadanc

I just can't wait to own ANY Sportster!

I highly doubt the other Sportster models slowed significantly in sales. If we could see the sales reports I am quite sure we would see the Nightster is running at full production stride, which will mean thousands more Sportsters sold this year, over last year. The whole line had already perked up in sales with the popularity of the EFI. I would not be surprised to find H-D is now selling as many Sportsters as Kawasaki,Yamaha, and Honda sell of 750cc-1300cc cruisers, combined. The Sportster has always been a fine example of just what it was - a great American machine. The '04+ models are even finer examples of a great American machine. When you look at how few vehicles worldwide have remained in production for 50 years straight it shows just how perfect an imperfect motorcycle hits home. Recall fondly that '65 Mustang or '67 GTO? The difference here is H-D never stopped refining the old classic. Raw, visceral classics with not much in the way of useless gee-gaws, but hints of modern technology akin to the careful breeding of a fine thoroughbred. The moment it fires, you feel the soul.

WarDog86
26th June 2008, 11:49
I bought my first harley 2 months ago (08 Nightster), I've wanted the bike from the first time i saw it in 07. I took me a year to save up and finally i got my dream bike. I am just happy to be in the HD family. I like all sportsters and to be honest it is what ever floats your boat. The nightster is doing well in the at the dealerships. I went into the dealers when they opened and walk right up to a sales rep. I didnt browse or make small talk, just wanted to start the paperwork on the vivd black N. It took a couple of hours to get it all done. IN that time frame five other people walked in with the same agenda. Early bird gets the worm LOL. I absolutely love the bike and will own it until i die. I will customize the hell out of it until my wife realizes how much things cost....LOL

Nightsters, love em, hate em, who cares at least we are riding.....

whittlebeast
26th June 2008, 12:43
The Nighty appears to be a bike that is bringing in new Harley riders to purchase their first new Harley. I wonder if those same people will still like Harley and trust Harley is capible of making a good bike.

I personally have lost all faith that I once had. I thought "The bike has been in production for 50 years, how bad could it be?" I found out that all of the "comfort" things had to be recalibrated by the owner. This includes the suspension, brakes and EFI. Only the look and finish was up to our expectations. This was my first Harley and first bike. I personally will never buy a new Harley again unless they get far better at calibrating bikes. The Nighty may be the worst calibrated bike if the entire Harley line. Many of the bling compromises were made at the expense of comfort.

AW

shotgun46
26th June 2008, 12:47
I love the look of the Nightster and To me its a hot bike will I purchase one ? No I just think they look cool ! I wish harley would make some more cool looking bikes !

emzdogz
26th June 2008, 13:04

just a quick reply to this ancient post:
I completely disagree. The 1200L at least, with pullbacks, highway pegs (no sissy bar yet) is without a doubt in my mind the best cruiser I could have purchased. Fits my bod like a glove.
There is no other bike that would have been a better cruiser for me. No metric bike.
The closest thing, pricewise, to the 1200L in the metric world, would have been the Kaw Meanstreak.
I can't fully express in typed letters how MUCH I prefer my Sporty to any Meanstreak.
Also, it might be worth noting that the 1st XL's, 57 58 59, except for the CH's, DID come stock with pullback bars, as well as the tins around the top of the forks. Etc.
Not a sportbike.
I guess the point being that there have been multiple versions of the Sporty all along. Its not like pullback bars are some bastardization of something that used to be "pure" and good.

There have always been "cruiser" Sporty's and I hope very much there will always BE cruiser Sporty's. Right along side the standard and the Nightster versions.

Its so good to have a choice, I feel!

I see you have an XS650 also.
I've had a couple myself.
That history is different. Started out as a standard only - they only made the cruiserish version very late in the game, when they came out with the Specials. in like 78 or 79, whatever.

But with the XL, there have always been cruiser versions.

It feels really sick to say, but there is literally NO other bike I'd rather have - to cruise, to backroad, or to highway jam on.

Yeah lower bars would be better for performance/technical riding. But that's not on my agenda, anyway.

I like to keep my bike as naked as possible just for the sake of clean lines, but it has nothing to do with thinking of whatever "sportbike" heritage it may have.

AM sitting here thinking, just for the heck of it: Em! wouldn't you rather have a nice VTX???
HELL no!
how about a Shadow Sabre??
HELL no. A Yamaha "Warrior"??? nah its a freak, tho mildly interesting. A....lets see what else is there.... a Guzzi California??
well maybe...
ummm, how about a 1200 XL in lovely blue with lots of chrome that fits as if nature itself designed the thing for your bod???

YEAH buddy! that would be the one!

To be honest I can't imagine how it would feel to be sized more for a Dyna, say, and be riding a Sporty. Given that scenario I might be able to agree with the idea to buy a BT.

But for someone my size the XL is the perfect cruiser - in addition to whatever else it could be.

Fastfwd01
26th June 2008, 17:07
The Nightster inspired me to buy a bike after 20 years of not riding. Personally, I love the look of it. I’m going with the blacked out look. I’ve put the black short shots on mine and I’m pleased with them. I actually loved the stock pipes, but I wanted a little more sound.

I know this isn’t going to be a popular here, but I think the Nightster is the best looking Sportster that’s come along. I see some really nice bikes on here that aren’t Nightsters, but to be honest – I was never a big fan of Sportsters in general before the Nightster came out.

It fits me well. I don’t think I would be comfortable on a Dyna. I like the size of the Sportster. I like the ‘standard’ bike setup too.

I did change the seat and suspension to boost the comfort a little, but I kept the 11” height of the shocks to keep the low look. It’s comfortable enough and I can still flat foot both feet at a stop.

I don’t know that I will ever want to sell my bike to ‘trade up’ to a Dyna or other BT.

el jinete fantasma
26th June 2008, 19:34
There have always been "cruiser" Sporty's and I hope very much there will always BE cruiser Sporty's. Right along side the standard and the Nightster versions.
That's no doubt one of the main reasons the platform has survived 51 years. I always look around at other bikes... I can admire most of them. Who hasn't lusted for a Ducati? The thing is... I come back to the Sporty and think, "That's what a motorcycle should look like." I have to admit that when I first got into bikes I didn't dig when people turned their bikes into "Sport Glides." I thought they were just a self-conscious effort to soothe their "lesser-than" BT envy. Now I really admire the look. I think the Sporty is the perfect size for a motorcycle... for me. The bike looks damn good in that BT trim.

To me, the Nightster continues to be a home run. I still love to look at it and it never fails to start conversations wherever I go. It still amuses me that people can't guess what year it is within a half-century!:laugh

LOK
26th June 2008, 19:49
I think it's a hit.

I bought one :)

but.. I had a black superglide 2 years ago and put a lepera and mini apes on it and loved that thing.. now I have a sportster version of it!

I have owned over 20 motorcycles and I absolutly love this one!

naked_racer
26th June 2008, 20:55
My love comes from the cafe/hooligan/bobber style of bikes. I hate gliz and glamour, and love simplicity.

Just bought one a couple of hours ago. For those us us that HATE chrome, this is the perfect "stock" bike (not that I'm going to keep it stock).

Plus its for the wife to learn on.

Hecklerboy
26th June 2008, 21:42
I agree. I don't like allot of chrome and love the blacked out look. I didn't want a big dresser with lots of chrome. I wanted something that looked badass and was easy to ride.

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w178/Hecklerboy/Nightster/Lake004.jpg

Fester
26th June 2008, 21:43
Been riding Ducatis since I was knee high to a grasshopper. It was the classic look of the Nightster that finally tempted me into buying a Harley. Till then, quite honestly, I could have taken 'em or left 'em. Well, I've still got my Nightster and ride and adore it more every day. I'm planning a three thousand mile trip around Europe on it next month taking in the War graves in Flanders, the Alps, Dolimites, Provance, et al. Luggage space? Who cares. Charge card and a toothbrush me!

leozip
27th June 2008, 00:17
Just got mine. Kind of hard to find one in Miami

jasperpso
27th June 2008, 02:41
my local dealer has one of each color on the floor.. although i think it does sell well, apparently there isnt a short supply around here..

naked_racer
27th June 2008, 14:43
Hecklerboy

I love that exhaust! Where did you get it? I'm looking for blacke exhaust options, but not having any luck so far.

Fastfwd01
27th June 2008, 14:57
The dealer where I do business had about half a dozen Nightsters on the floor earlier this year, but they don’t have much of anything anymore. Surprisingly they’ve had more Rockers than almost anything else (besides the dressers). Even a few Crossbones. I haven’t seen a Nightster on the floor in a couple months though.