PDA

View Full Version : V&H Short Shots vs HD SEIIs ???

ed_in_az
10th April 2009, 02:45
It seems like everybody and their brother, maybe even their mother:laugh has the V&H Short Shots on their Sportster, so I figure some people will be able to answer the question of how they perform, not just sound but POWER, compared to the SEII pipes???

I'm asking since I too love the looks of the Short Shots in BLACK! Yes, black rules!:banana

But ... I do not want to lose any horsepower, not even 1HP. I wouldn't mind a gain in HP, but from what I read when those pipes first came out it sounded like the SEIIs made more HP.

Since plenty of time has passed, is that truly the way it is???

floorit
10th April 2009, 02:54
Never had the SE's but I'm makin about 75/75 with a hurricane flow, shortshots, and andrews N3's.

ed_in_az
10th April 2009, 03:14
Thanks for the update. I'm glad owners seem happy with their performance.

What I'd like to know is if anyone has run the SEIIs and switched to Short Shots to feel the difference or maybe even had it Dynoed.

rottenralph
10th April 2009, 03:18
Short shots have a terrible reputation of being horsepower robbing pigs that look great. SE-2 slipons on the other hand look like ass and are supposed to perform great. O most occasions where some one is dissappointed with a dyno run it usually ha shortshots on it. Nhrs comments on the poor performance of those pipes almost every time.

ed_in_az
10th April 2009, 03:23
Short shots have a terrible reputation of being horsepower robbing pigs that look great. SE-2 slipons on the other hand look like ass and are supposed to perform great. O most occasions where some one is dissappointed with a dyno run it usually ha shortshots on it. Nhrs comments on the poor performance of those pipes almost every time.

Ralph, man that is so harsh.:frownthre

But that is also why I'm still running SEIIs.:o

floorit
10th April 2009, 03:32
I was under the impression that 75/75 wasn't too bad for an 05. But every time I post it somebody has to rip on the ss's.

wrckdvr
10th April 2009, 03:38
I have side shots on mine and love them. My custom would cut out at high throttle before with SE Slipons. Now after V&H Sideshots runs great! V&H claims additional 10HP I believe them performance has definitely increased and sounds great!

Quay
10th April 2009, 04:31
I was under the impression that 75/75 wasn't too bad for an 05. But every time I post it somebody has to rip on the ss's.

I don't believe anyone is ripping your machine - just stating that the shortshots have a poor reputation for making power. They are super hot sellers because many folks prefer their look and sound.

Quay
10th April 2009, 04:32
I have side shots on mine and love them. My custom would cut out at high throttle before with SE Slipons. Now after V&H Sideshots runs great! V&H claims additional 10HP I believe them performance has definitely increased and sounds great!

1. Appears that when you had the SE's, you did not get it tuned?

2. Get back to us with numbers when you get it dyno'd.

floorit
10th April 2009, 04:36
I don't believe anyone is ripping your machine - just stating that the shortshots have a poor reputation for making power. They are super hot sellers because many folks prefer their look and sound.

Thats my point, it's not makin bad power so why the "poor reputation"? Maybe I could make a couple more hp with a 2-1 but I HATE the look. And Not to mention price.

wandrur
10th April 2009, 04:45
I'm with floorit--can't stand the 2-1 pipes.

But, ed, it's interesting that you ask this question. I've got a set of SE SPs on my bedroom floor that I just need to swap with my ShortShots. Just haven't had enough time to get that taken care of. I am thinking of getting a baseline dyno run with the V&H pipes before I do the swap, then get another with the SE SPs (yes, I know they're different from the SEIIs, but I'm thinking the conversation is likely similar) to see what the lines look like.

Quay
10th April 2009, 04:47
Thats my point, it's not makin bad power so why the "poor reputation"? Maybe I could make a couple more hp with a 2-1 but I HATE the look. And Not to mention price.

Very true. They don't make worse power than a set of punched out stockers.
The original poster is hoping to see data on SE's vs. Shortshots - ideally that comparison should be done on the same bike/same dyno.
A spread in power between several exhaust systems might only be 3-4 hp on a stock bike, but could end up being 10-15 hp as performance mods are added.

floorit
10th April 2009, 04:56
I really don't want to hijack this thread, but this is as close to getting a decent answer about this as I have come. So, the way I read your last post is that they aren't bad for say a stage1 or maybe 2 bike but at some point they really start to effect power? If that is so, wouldn't they be a good value for someone either not intrested in that levell of power, or not ready to go for the whole enchelada?

Quay
10th April 2009, 05:06
I think it depends on which is most important, a great powerband from down low all the way to the top, with more peak power, or if giving up 3-4 hp is worth the sacrifice for looks and sound they prefer over the powerband. And regardless of which system is installed, not tuning even a basic stage 1 bike can give up an additional 3-4 hp.

NYSportster
10th April 2009, 05:35
I just swapped my SE II (Off Road version) for the ShortShots with quiet baffles. The SE are a little louder and sound better at idle, but whines a little at high rpms. The ShortsShot sounds good even at high rpm. Purely subjective, but I didn't notice any difference in perfromance. I heard the quiet baffles gives it more back pressure which I think is suppose to be good for performance.

BTW, I am selling the SE if anyone is interested.

ed_in_az
10th April 2009, 06:14
Wandrur - You're right, the Dyno would be the real test.

NYSportster - Good shot there too. No perceptable difference means they are at least close. I'd probably prefer the quiet baffles, especially if they would improve performance. I've read the the SEIIs are quieter than most other performance pipes and mine are as loud as I want to go.

Floorit - I'd love to have 75/75 for power with V&H pipes. I think you're doing good.:clap

My setup is about 62/66, but it's a conversion with stock 883 heads. That's why I don't want to lose any horsepower if I switch pipes. My other pipe option would be Bassani Pro-Streets (in black). I'm pretty sure I couldn't lose HP there, I might even gain, but I know they would be louder.:o

ReddTigger
10th April 2009, 06:47
Dyno Run, V&H straight shots vs. Screamin' Eagles (http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/showthread.php?t=234035)

These are with the straight shots which are longer then the short shots and are a better performer. yet you can easily see they do not compare to the screamin eagle (the original not the 2's)

Quay
10th April 2009, 06:47
If you were to do nothing more than add a competition valve job and have it correctly tuned with what you have now in hard parts, you could be really surprised at how much you gain.

kenney
10th April 2009, 06:53
I love my short shots.I had se2 first,and i didnt like them .Pulled them off and went with V@H short,s love every thing.i do have stage intake ,but i did notice a diffrence,at low end.mid and high,s about same.JMO.kenney

wandrur
10th April 2009, 08:11
Cool, thanks for the info, kenney. What didn't you like about the SEIIs, specifically?