PDA

View Full Version : Need some opinions...

XLFREAK
27th March 2005, 03:27
I'm looking for opinions on suspension. Ultimately, I'm going to have Progressive springs in the front and hopefully 440's in the back. What I'm curious about is ride height and quality. I understand the 04 1200C is about 1" lower in the rear so these are my options:
Raise the rear 1"
Keep it level
Lower the front 1"

I'm not sure what route to take. I don't want to sacrifice ground clearance nor do I want to lose any of the handling characteristics.

What do you all think? :confused:

IronMick
27th March 2005, 05:24
My ironhead has big shocks [how hi i do not know] and my evo has short shocks - Progressives [might measure them all some day]. Also the iron has 19" front wheel, the evo has 21".

I have had the evo for a year longer than the iron. Never thought there was a problem with it. And there isn't one. But the iron is a far better ride.

Regular height shocks and no oversize on the front wheel = a noticably better ride.

Takingabreak
27th March 2005, 05:53
Hi Jet.

Don't shoot Homer.....D'ogh!

OK, As to your question, the lower your bike sits, wile looking cool is the less your suspention can move, the less it moves the stiffer it has to be.

So, if you want to look cool and have a bike you can run from tavern to home, the lower the better.
Customs sit low enough for me, but a little higher will work better if you want to run the twistie's.

radar
27th March 2005, 10:54
I installed the Progressive fork springs first, used the supplied 2" spacers and 15 wt fork oil. The static(not moving) ride height while sitting on the bike increased by about an inch in front.
This changed low speed cornering and stopping characteristics dramatically for the better.
About a week later, I installed the 12.5 " 440 HD shocks, raising the rear about 3/4".
This combination has vastly improved handling and ride quality, it's a completely different bike now.
I weigh about 190 suited up, the wife about 100. I found the lowest setting on the shocks to be good on two up riding.
I have since added hard saddlebags, but won't get a chance to evaluate full load touring until I come home in May.
Hope this helps.

barry1967
27th March 2005, 13:30
I'm looking for opinions on suspension. Ultimately, I'm going to have Progressive springs in the front and hopefully 440's in the back. What I'm curious about is ride height and quality. I understand the 04 1200C is about 1" lower in the rear so these are my options:
Raise the rear 1"
Keep it level
Lower the front 1"

I'm not sure what route to take. I don't want to sacrifice ground clearance nor do I want to lose any of the handling characteristics.

What do you all think? :confused:

The front end on your 1200C uses the same internals as a 1200R. Standard progressive springs in the front will keep yur ride height the same. Shocks for the rear you can get in the same lenght as you have now and your handling will be improved greatly.

rider1951
27th March 2005, 14:23
I went with 12 1/2" shocks to get more travel and ride comfort. I now wish I had gone even to 13 or 13 1/2" although the 3/4" did make a difference. I didn't care if my bike looked cool being low, I was after ride comfort. The stock length is 11 3/4". Rmember the longer the shock you use the higher the seat will be.

rpcycle
28th March 2005, 05:46
I just finished my bike - 05 1200C - installed progressive standard height fork springs and 12.5" 412s (standard spring) in the rear. Went on a pretty long ride today that included twisties with me (160 lb) and my wife (130 lb) and the handling has improved significantly. The bike height hasn't changed very much and am still using the stock bike stand. It also still looks great.

XLFREAK
28th March 2005, 17:18
Thanks, these suggestions sound pretty good to me. I think I'll go with the stock height Progressives in the front and probably 12.5" 440 HD's in the back, especially since I do a good amount of 2-up riding.
Thanks for the help! :D

Wardog
28th March 2005, 19:08
I went with the 412's in the rear at 12.5 inches and found that to be a good choice. I read somewhere recently that the 440s might not work as well as the 412s. The message I read said that the person talked to a tech at Progressive. You might want to give them a call and discuss the choice with them first. Good luck with your choice. :tour

radar
28th March 2005, 19:47
On the Progressive BB, Suspensionguy used to tell people that the 440 shock didn't work properly in lengths less than 12".
Just did a search for 440 over there and the posts are still there, way back.
They don't say this anymore, if they even answer questions at all.

XLFREAK
28th March 2005, 22:28
Giving them a call sounds like a good idea. I hope the 440's will work as well as I've heard...

DaleG
29th March 2005, 05:05
I put the 11.5" 440s with HD springs on mine. I set the springs to the lowest level. Also put in progress fork springs. The ride height did not change much but the handling and ride quality improved a lot. Although they are 1/4 in shorter than the stock shocks, they don't sag as much when I set on the bike, so the height seems the same to me. I have a bad back, and the stock shocks were always bottoming out. When I turned the preload up, they sent every little bump right up my spine. The 440s don't do this. I am amazed at how firm they are without being rough over the small bumps. I feel the suspension is now more stable in turns.

decman
29th March 2005, 06:10
I was the one who posted the 440/12" info.

Yes the 440's are only worth it for 12" and over.
The stock shock on the Custom are 11.75" so if
you have the money for 440's go with the 12" or longer.
But the 412 are great for the price ~$180 and don't
forget the 418's, I think they look great and are closer
to the 440s in performance.

About the progressive BB, Larry left the company and
the new guys are not as quick with the answers.
If you call them it would be better.

later
decman