PDA

View Full Version : After seeing a Nightster in person.....

dooley
25th February 2007, 15:15
I think I've changed my opinion on the Nightster.
I stopped into Speedway HD in Charlotte yesterday and got a gander at one with the silver and black paint scheme.
A salesman came up while I was lookin it over and asked me what I thought of it.
I, being a Yankee and an Irishman naturally said the first thing that came to mind....
"I think it's under sprung and overpriced" :laugh

He didn't see the humor in it.....:wonderlan

rcliffor
25th February 2007, 15:46
The stock seat really sucks.....it is NOT comfortable and sits too far forward (at least for me).

addicted
25th February 2007, 16:38

Too funny! :smiliesig

Big_Baazzoo
25th February 2007, 18:29
I love it, and I think the seat is pretty comfy, at least it was in the showroom for about 5 minutes.

oakies
25th February 2007, 20:03
I think I've changed my opinion on the Nightster.
I stopped into Speedway HD in Charlotte yesterday and got a gander at one with the silver and black paint scheme.
A salesman came up while I was lookin it over and asked me what I thought of it.
I, being a Yankee and an Irishman naturally said the first thing that came to mind....

My exact thoughts on the overpriced part...especially compared to a Roadster (So much more bike for $900 less)

Snuffy
26th February 2007, 16:11
Really liked the look and think it should have been the 50th anniversary bike, but Oh well. Only thing that I can't imagine why is where is the Tach. It ain't nothin but a roadster stripped down a little with no passenger pegs. Maybe that was there idea, basic with a hint of "Rod" in it. I found it very appealing

Moved On
26th February 2007, 16:16
I finally saw one at my dealer a couple days ago. It was already sold and in the detailing area, so I couldn't really bounce on it. I was a little dissappointed. It looked a little bit cartoonish IMHO. One of the techs made an odd comment, he said that Bob (the local HOG chapter director) was thinking about getting one as a bomb around town toy. Hmmm I wonder if he'll get hooked?

Gazza

Crusin_w00kie
26th February 2007, 18:48
One of the techs made an odd comment, he said that Bob (the local HOG chapter director) was thinking about getting one as a bomb around town toy. Hmmm I wonder if he'll get hooked?

Gazza

MUHAHAHAHAHAHA, and so it begins!! :banana :banana :banana

smoke
26th February 2007, 19:45

I thunk it was funny. Anyway, my wife and I rode down to our local stealer the other day. They had a couple and so once again this year I get my wife to sit on a bike, she chose the black and silver nightster to sit on and she loved it. She is 5'2" and 110 lbs, it fit her like a glove and I said "let's get it". She said "%#$& you dumb ass, I'll stick to riding with you". Another year, another try. I will have another sporty soon tho...

chrome
26th February 2007, 19:50
I saw one a couple weeks ago and it seemed a lot smaller than the other rubbermount sportys. I will stick with my Roadster...if i sprung for an 07, for the money it would be a Roadster again.

Now when they start selling the fender and light kit for the 04up i will be seriously considering it...

Clipper
26th February 2007, 20:56
I thought I liked it at first look but now figure it's pretty ugly. Just a mishmash of parts, no clearance, no tach and too many $$$. The XR1200 looks way better IMHO.

celtic
26th February 2007, 23:26
I saw one a couple weeks ago and it seemed a lot smaller than the other rubbermount sportys. I will stick with my Roadster...if i sprung for an 07, for the money it would be a Roadster again.

ditto for me.

xllent01
26th February 2007, 23:33
I saw a black one the other day at my dealer, all i can say is the grey powdercoat looks really cheesy :laugh againest the black paint,

IMHO i think the Moco fubar-ed it by going grey, would've look so much better black on black to match the name :doh but hey WTF do i know.

Gone
26th February 2007, 23:36
Good looking bike just not for me.

MikeOK
1st March 2007, 03:44
I think me too. It really caught my eye but I think it would be too rough riding for the bad roads around here.

Mohntonite
1st March 2007, 04:16
Black n Silver at my local dealer. I like pics of it and thats it. There it was up front and I had to look, Way to many wires n cables strewn about. ( I know efi needs them but). Whats with the cheesy little plastic covers under the tank to make a lame attempt to hide the octopus living under there???? Nothing was even remotely closeto being hidden. That was enuff to turn me off. Sorry but the MOCO could have done a better job of trying to clean this Octoster up. thats my opinion and Im sticking to it.

Hot Rod Sporty
1st March 2007, 04:41
I read today in the 'Enthusiast' that they were going for a 'Rat Rod' bike and the 20-something engineer and Willie G worked on it together.

IMHO, I'm sure it meets with some niche of the market. I just think it takes all the fun out of 'ratting it out' yourself. I'm starting to gather quite a collection of parts I've removed/replaced. Just had my belt guard removed because it was getting smashed by the fender since I had shorter shocks put on. I don't know yet if I'll chop the fender on mine, even tho I like the look on some of the bikes on this site, but I'm considering it. I just got the "integrated in the tail light turn signals, and I really don't want to put the 'bugeyes' back on.

Anyway, I'm rambling now (two margueritas and a shot of patron). I think it has it's place, but I think they could've done a better job. My 2 cents.

BTW, what's up with the obsession with a Tach? I don't have one and do just fine. I just listen to the engine and I know when it's time to shift.

Gary7
1st March 2007, 05:08
BTW, what's up with the obsession with a Tach? I don't have one and do just fine. I just listen to the engine and I know when it's time to shift.

Yeah, just listen for those valves floating and you know you're in the red. :roflblack

Gone
1st March 2007, 07:00
Nice looking bike!

Smitty001
1st March 2007, 10:51

I agree! To low for me. I drag pipe as it is.

Smitty:wonderlan

traveler
1st March 2007, 12:48
Really considered getting one for Dad, but decided to just go XL883. Cheaper, and I like the basic sporty with silver motor and vivid black paint.

Joe

Weasel
1st March 2007, 13:44
Between the two stealers here, I have seen the all black, black and silver and the black and orange. I like the tank and a few other areas, but over all it looks like a toy. The crackle gray sucks! There are flat and glossy black parts and it looks stupid. And I agree with some others in that the whole point of owning a bike is to rat it out yourself. I will keep mine!!!

:usmc:

:pgrflag:

dynamos2000
2nd March 2007, 00:06
Between the two stealers here, I have seen the all black, black and silver and the black and orange. I like the tank and a few other areas, but over all it looks like a toy. The crackle gray sucks! There are flat and glossy black parts and it looks stupid. And I agree with some others in that the whole point of owning a bike is to rat it out yourself. I will keep mine!!!

:usmc:

:pgrflag:

My toy along with its crackle gray stupid looking parts...... :banana :smoke

http://web.mac.com/alanwhite123/iWeb/Main%20Site/PA%20-%20Bike%20Photos%200207_files/P2280009.jpg

http://web.mac.com/alanwhite123/iWeb/Main%20Site/PA%20-%20Bike%20Photos%200207_files/P2110005.jpg

Moved On / My Own Choice
2nd March 2007, 00:40
My toy along with its crackle gray stupid looking parts...... :banana :smoke

http://web.mac.com/alanwhite123/iWeb/Main%20Site/PA%20-%20Bike%20Photos%200207_files/P2280009.jpg

http://web.mac.com/alanwhite123/iWeb/Main%20Site/PA%20-%20Bike%20Photos%200207_files/P2110005.jpg

:laugh :laugh :laugh

Great pics.

LOVE the traditional Black and Orange!!!!

Kev

cigarman
2nd March 2007, 16:22
I like the front wheel configuration; it looks more old school and balanced. The seat is way too low and foward for me and I personally don't like the gray crackled finish except with the back colors--I'd like it better if it was a darker, more charoal color and/or a little glossy . Overall though the look is nice.

There is one out at Iron Valley HD (black and silver) and the guys there told me they were surpised that it has been there for a week.

Big_Baazzoo
2nd March 2007, 16:32
I love the "Nightie". I want one.

07sporty
2nd March 2007, 23:44
i just want a couple of the parts for my ride, mainly the wheels, and i have always wanted to powdercoat the lower legs and a bunch of little things

lollypop
3rd March 2007, 01:09
i think harley have got a winner with this bike,i want one!!!!!dont get me wrong i love my 883R but if i had the cash i could really be tempted.oh well they make a nice new one & then put up price.its not coming to the U/K untill the end of the year,somthing to do with european emission regulations,there still testing it.whats the price of this bike?tara for now,lollypop in the U/K.

MikeOK
4th March 2007, 02:12
I succumbed today. After my Blackbird sold recently I started looking into Harleys more in depth. The N caught my eye first but I (thought) I had talked meself out of it. Anyway, after a day of looking at all the bikes both metric and American I ended up calling the Harley cats back and making an offer on the N. And they took it. This after I had intended to buy a Roadster. Admit it, you ALL secretly want one of these bikes.

dynamos2000
6th March 2007, 00:57
I succumbed today. After my Blackbird sold recently I started looking into Harleys more in depth. The N caught my eye first but I (thought) I had talked meself out of it. Anyway, after a day of looking at all the bikes both metric and American I ended up calling the Harley cats back and making an offer on the N. And they took it. This after I had intended to buy a Roadster. Admit it, you ALL secretly want one of these bikes.

congrats man, I've had WAY too many bikes for being 34, I trade and sell after 6 months sometimes. Anyway, my first bike was a buell blast, thats what I learned on. 11 bikes between were all metric and this is my first official harley and I'm in love

p.s. I can kind of relate with your recent sale. The blackbird is a very very SMOOOOOOTH and powerful engine and there is something about this back to basics no frills is what it is bike. post some photos when you get her home

MikeOK
7th March 2007, 00:45
congrats man, ...

Thanks! I picked mine up today and I think I will really like this bike. Pure fun! Great fit for me, my short little peg legs are happy on a bike for once.