PDA

View Full Version : front end install failed...need some advice

bamf_shadow
28th March 2005, 04:10
Well I got my new tubes (6" over), new Progressive springs, and new seals all assembled. Here is what I did as far as fluid: I used bel-ray 15w, installed damper and tube, then I fully colapsed it. I poured in untill I was sitting 5.5" from the top of the fork tube. I taped it a couple times and waited for any air to escape. Then I extended the tube and installed spring. I then installed a spacer that was 1" from the bottom of the threads per the Progressive install book. Installed everything on the bike and my heart sank.

There is no rebound at all. I sit up and push the front end down, and I have to pull it back up. I mean this is beyond spongy. I am wondering if I used the correct amount of fluid. Everyone told me 5.5" was the sweet spot. I tried adding an additional .75" of preload and got the same results. When I had everything apart I thoroughly cleaned everything in solvent to remove all the old fluid residue and any forieghn particales. Does anyone have any ideas on this? I have not road tested it, but I am not sure I would want to based on what I see. Thank you so much!

stevo
28th March 2005, 04:19
sounds like you are way too short on your spacer..

It should take a fair bit of force to compress the spring to install the cap....

If the spring/spacer is not protruding past the top...then ya got a prob...

You will usually need a spacer at least an inch or 2 longer than the extension you've put on......ie: 6 longer forks will usually need a 6" - 8" spacer

midnitewolf
28th March 2005, 04:23
The springs give you the rebound the
oil controls the dampening

leo_frantic
29th March 2005, 01:15
Generally speaking ... if you have 6" over tubes, you need a 6" spacer.

leo_frantic
29th March 2005, 01:16
Shoot! Just saw stevo's post.