PDA

View Full Version : Custom vs stock tank size

army_navy
28th February 2007, 16:09
I have an 02 box stock 883. Read recently that a gas tank from the same year, exception being from a Custom model, was bigger.

Anybody know if that's true? Did the custom models come with larger tanks?

doc
28th February 2007, 16:14
As far as I know, the tanks were the same size on all the sportsters for that year. I don't think they started doing the different size tanks until '04.

beuz
28th February 2007, 17:00
Aftermarket tanks witch look like HD peanut one can be bigger.
My bro has a "king" tank . It's a 3.96 gallons.
He's found it in WW Cycles catalog 9 years ago after a crash.

maddog
28th February 2007, 17:06
As far as I know, the tanks were the same size on all the sportsters for that year. I don't think they started doing the different size tanks until '04.

Doc is correct. '04 and up Customs have a larger tank. They will NOT
retrofit to the '03 and lower models.

biel63
28th February 2007, 17:07
I just ordered a tank yesterday. Peanut style with rolled edges. Keeps the overall look but slightly bigger (3.4) gal. I wanted to get rid of that ugly gap between the stock tank and seat. I would've rather had a 4.2 gal but I couldn't bind a stretch tank with a right side petcock. Paughco makes some larger capacity tanks but they are all slightly shorter than stock, at least the ones I've seen. But I'm working on a '93. I found tons of larger tanks for bikes '95 and newer.

MTime
1st March 2007, 02:35
Doc is correct. '04 and up Customs have a larger tank. They will NOT
retrofit to the '03 and lower models.

I've put a '04 4.5 gal. sportster tank on my '01 1200 Custom. I've described the install in an earlier thread. Not without some work, but doable.

Gone
20th July 2007, 14:59
I have a '79 ironhead and would like to know what size tank will fit
my bike and do it with out extesive modifacations?

uteotw
25th January 2008, 19:38
I don't want to start a new thread if I don't have to, so I'll try here:

Can I get a bigger tank put on my 2007 883R? I called two dealerships and got two different answers. I'd probably just go through them if they can do it, and I'd really like something that holds a big more (and I'd like to change the look).

Any input would be appreciated...

Folkie
25th January 2008, 19:48
As far as I know, the tanks were the same size on all the sportsters for that year. I don't think they started doing the different size tanks until '04.+1 on that.

Folkie
25th January 2008, 19:51
I don't want to start a new thread if I don't have to, so I'll try here:

Can I get a bigger tank put on my 2007 883R? I called two dealerships and got two different answers. I'd probably just go through them if they can do it, and I'd really like something that holds a big more (and I'd like to change the look).

Any input would be appreciated...Dead easy. You just need a 4.5 gallon tank from an '07+ Custom or 1200L or an '08 1200R. Why pay the dealer, just do it yourself?

You will have to change your seat though to one that fits with the bigger tank.

gm1ll
25th January 2008, 19:55
I think it was 2002 HD advertised a different 4.2 gal tank on the 1200 custom, but it was shut off early in production due to leakage issues. I can't remember exactly what the cause was, but I'd say they never came out with it in 03 cause the 04 was going to have it anyway.

Folkie
25th January 2008, 20:43
I think it was 2002 HD advertised a different 4.2 gal tank on the 1200 custom, but it was shut off early in production due to leakage issues. I can't remember exactly what the cause was, but I'd say they never came out with it in 03 cause the 04 was going to have it anyway.Really? That's interesting. I'd never heard that before.

gm1ll
25th January 2008, 21:05
The MOCO put out the annual sportster brochure in 2002 with a pic of the 1200c with the big tank on it and then it never came and people were like WTF???

I remember seeing it and asking about it at the new car sales office at the PX.

uteotw
25th January 2008, 23:23
Dead easy. You just need a 4.5 gallon tank from an '07+ Custom or 1200L or an '08 1200R. Why pay the dealer, just do it yourself?

You will have to change your seat though to one that fits with the bigger tank.

Well, it might be easy for a "Senior Master Custom Bike Builder" but I'm not sure if it would be for me or not, since I'm relatively new to the world. Also I'd hate to change my sweet dual seat w/removeable backrest. If I could keep that I'd give it a go but now I'm having reservations, though I sure do want something that holds more... Tough call...........

Folkie
26th January 2008, 00:51
Well, it might be easy for a "Senior Master Custom Bike Builder" …Is that what it says I am? OMG! It does. Don't believe it mate, it's lying.

uteotw
28th January 2008, 16:23
Is that what it says I am? OMG! It does. Don't believe it mate, it's lying.

Just going by what it says :D

But really, what all is involved, in a nutshell? I'd rather get the tank and try it myself, but I don't want to get in over my head.

Folkie
28th January 2008, 16:35
You will definitely have to change the seat; does that still rule it out, or have you changed your mind on that?

uteotw
29th January 2008, 23:32
You will definitely have to change the seat; does that still rule it out, or have you changed your mind on that?

Not sure now. I LOVE my big cushy Sportster dual seat with removeable backrest. Hate to give that up and switch to something lesser, esp. since I got the seat for only $50 when I picked up the bike. Would I have to get something a fair amount smaller? Because that would suck. I could at least keep the removeable backrest setup, right?

Folkie
29th January 2008, 23:40
If you swap to the 4.5 gal tank, you need a seat that fits with that tank. You may be able to get someone to shorten the front of your existing seat to fit?

CaptBligh
29th January 2008, 23:42
Seats can be modified also, its not that huge of a deal really. An inch or 2 off the front is not going to be missed.