PDA

View Full Version : What's your Mileage

Massdog05
1st March 2007, 22:39
I've heard several complaints about low mileage with the new EFI, especially during the break in. Seems all the dealers are saying it's normal, but it seems rediculous to be getting in the high 30's and very low 40's while on open road.

What's your mileage?? Please choose the option consistent for non-agressive smooth riding on the open road (at least 50-100 miles).

Feel free to comment on how far your bike is broken in, your location, and fuel of choice.

Moved On
1st March 2007, 22:44
That's why the EPA is pushing that EFI crap... If they get the mileage low
enough nobody will ride anymore due to fuel cost and it'll make the air cleaner
and stop gloal warming.

Gazza

Massdog05
1st March 2007, 22:48
Haha! Probably the case. Would it even be worth living without motorcycles?

XLFREAK
1st March 2007, 23:49
I usually average over 50 mpg. I don't ride very hard. My bike is an 07 xl883 with 3000 mi, all syn fluids.
TJ

CrazyDave
2nd March 2007, 01:24
I'm getting about 46, but I had Rush slip ons installed and they did a stage 1 download.

FloridaDrafter
2nd March 2007, 04:26
'07 1200R. My light was coming on between 76 and 86 miles, and BTW, I'm big and I ride hard. Didn't seem to matter if it was stop-n-go or interstate. Then I put the SE SP's on (just the mufflers, no air upgrade) and my first tank, I got 108 miles before the light came on. Since then, if its strictly hauling ass around town, its anywhere from 40-46 mpg and open road is a pretty steady 55 mpg.

-FD

blastoff99
2nd March 2007, 05:29
So far (500 miles) I'm averaging 43. I *have* seen 46... for one tank. 2007 XL1200R with no mods. Very disappointing, this fuel mileage. It really needs to get better, especially since I'm getting < 100 miles before the low fuel light comes on.

toe
2nd March 2007, 10:22
You should probably differentiate between 883s and 1200s................

Shu
3rd March 2007, 00:17
If you all are getting mid 40's average, why is the low fuel light coming on in the 80 to 90 mile range? That means the trigger for the light is at about the 2 to 2.2 gallon mark? Are these 3.3 gallon or the larger Custom tanks? I'm just trying to figure out where the light is set to come on an about how much farther you can go before you run out of gas.

Also, I would have thought that the EFI bikes would have gotten better mileage. Heck I get mid 40's when I an really riding aggressive and have seen mid 50's on the highway and mine is carburated. Maybe as they break in and more people report, the mileage will increase. When I broke my 1200 in I got low 30's on the first tank, mid 30's on the second, near 40 on the third and after about 1500 miles it settled where it is now.

Shu
3rd March 2007, 00:19
You should probably differentiate between 883s and 1200s................

Ironically, When mine was an 883 it didn't get much better mileage than it does as a 1200. Both very fine tuned. But it would be interesting to show them separtely just to see.

FloridaDrafter
3rd March 2007, 01:38
If you all are getting mid 40's average, why is the low fuel light coming on in the 80 to 90 mile range?

On mine, it comes on with around a gallon remaining, sometimes a bit more. (3.3 gal tank)..

-FD

2hawk
3rd March 2007, 04:15
mine comes on with about 1.5 left.and i'm only geting 30 something mileage.
i only have750 on it i hope it improves.

whittlebeast
3rd March 2007, 14:00
There are many issues involved in this. EFI milage is very dependent on conditions. EFI is far better at suppling the CORRECT AFR under all conditions better than a carb ever thought of. This is not nessarily the best milage AFR. Fuel millage can fall hugh with many cold starts when the AFR's are around 10 - 11 to one. On cruse, 16 to one is very possible on a cool day.

Also rating the milage by when the fuel was last topped off to "somewhere close full" to "light comes on" both of these are hugh inconsistant variables. Who knows if all the lights come on at the same level. I know that my cap leaks when the tank is real full so I sleldom top it off.

Bottom line is you bought a Harley for the chrome and the sound and the paint and to be in the club. Go drive it and enjoy that it starts every time with two rotations of the crank. Potato - Potato - HmmHmmHmmHmm :)

PS I help design EFI systems as a hobby. This is part of why I did not even considder purchasing a carb version when I had the choice. Feed free to ask any constructive questions. We are in process of adapting the Harley to be a plug and play system so all this we be under your control. Not the dealers lack of control.

AW

FloridaDrafter
3rd March 2007, 15:33
Bottom line is you bought a Harley for the chrome and the sound and the paint and to be in the club. Go drive it and enjoy that it starts every time with two rotations of the crank. Potato - Potato - HmmHmmHmmHmm :)

Theres a Club? Damn, nobody told me:shhhh .. heh heh.. Actually I bought a Sportster in particular, not just a Harley. I've wanted one since 1972 but settled for other bikes, then other things happened and riding wasn't possible (pulls out hanky and wipes tear from eye), but I digress..heh.. I really didn't expect gas mileage in the 50's from this 1200. Didn't get it from smaller carbed bikes, like my 750's, so you won't hear me complaining about sub fifty MPG's, as it's still way better than what I get from my cage and more fun to boot. I don't get that patato sound either, whats up with that?.
I agree that there are so many factors involved in gas mileage, rider/cargo weight, temps, humidity, riding habits, even the type of oil you run. Yup, I'm quite happy with my MPG.
I think its pretty cool that your trying to get this stuff in our hands. The first thing I would do to mine is lower the RPM at idle after warm-up.

-FD

Shu
3rd March 2007, 17:08
whittlebeast,

I completely agree with most everything you said. My point is to try to figure out on average when the light comes on. Since these bikes no longer have reserve, it would be good for people to know how far they can go once the light goes on.

In addition, the fuel mileage is going to vary some dependent on the things you stated as well as how the bike is ridden or idled. This thread will help provide information to everyone so they can see if something is amiss on theirs.

williard952
3rd March 2007, 17:19
At around 3,500 miles, I'm seeing
52+ on the road and 50+ mixed
on the 883L, just a hair better
than the '91 (49-50). Unless the
wind is out of the East, then the '91
has popped up to 60 (then right
back to 50 on the return trip)

-Willy

whittlebeast
3rd March 2007, 20:17
I have heard a few thoughts on the potato potato idle issue. One thread claimed it had something to do with oil pressure and low RPM is why Harley raised it to 1100. If there are any Sportster engine builders out there ...feel free to chine in.

Regarding changing that from an EFI stand point, megasquirt is plenty capable to put the idle where ever you guys want it. My first thought was to let the Harley ECU control the idle speed. If enough people want me to mess with it we can design in idle control as an option. I was trying to keed the added four wires out of the equatoin.

The two huge problems that I was going after is the warm up enrichment curves are way too lean right now on a stock 1200. As you add cams and exhaust it will just get worse. The other problem is all the base maps appere to be way lean and do not appere to have enough 02 adjustment to cover for changes. I dont think there are any long term fuel trims giving this thin any sort of self tuning. We can fix all this sort of thing.

As far increasing milage...Only if the existing maps are so wrong that miss-fire is happening and that is very remote.

AW

trixter
5th March 2007, 03:20
Both yesterday and today the fuel light came on @ 96. The best I've gotten is just over 50mpg but it seems to average around 48. Odometer hit 998 today. Time to get her tuned and stage 1.

Massdog05
7th March 2007, 06:13
Voting proxy for my buddy and his 883c. talked to dealer yesterday, said less than 30 was impossible cuz efi is efi and it wont do 30. having him come in on friday and do some 50 mile runs and they will check his mileage. then if it verifies less than 30 they are callin whoever the big guys are.

72 Ironhead XLH
13th March 2007, 03:33
Just for the sake of arguments, when I drove mine home from the Scranton,Penn. dealer with "0" miles out the door ,interstate all the way back to Jersey,sunoco high test was 49.9 /gal.,was not sure what the milage would be so I filled every chance I could.Average distance was 49-50 miles and all I needed was 1 Ga. to fill it.A very enjoyable breakin run ,nothing over 65mph.One thing I did do was roll off the throttle occasionally,rumor has it the sudden vacumn would somehow splash more oil in the rod/ring area.38000 miles later I still can get 45-50 mpg and with a Tillotson carb!!!!!(all adjustable of course).Guess some of the old way`s were better.

ejonny
13th March 2007, 05:36
I'm gettin' about 45, a combo of city and highway though. I've done the stage one thing, have about 2500 miles on the bike.

Gone
13th March 2007, 05:43
I ride to and from work everyday and my 1200L does 44 to 48 mpg depending on traffic condition. Each trip is about 12.5 miles, cruising speed of about 60 mph (clear traffic, 48 mpg if the whole week is so), about 20% of trip is "stop-go". Bike stock except for rigid leather bags and small rack.

Gone
13th March 2007, 07:09
I have heard a few thoughts on the potato potato idle issue. One thread claimed it had something to do with oil pressure and low RPM is why Harley raised it to 1100. If there are any Sportster engine builders out there ...feel free to chine in.
AW

The manual calls for a 1,000 rpm idle and refers to idle oil pressure as possibly being too low if the rpm drops below this level, thus activating the oil light. The check ball is supposed to lift at 4-6 psi.

Phelan
13th March 2007, 08:57
I don't have EFI, but I've gotten as high as 60 mpg in my '03 1200S. Mileage averages about 40 though'cuz I fly everywhere!

rikrak
13th March 2007, 10:25
I get about 50 mpg and I almost always check. Today I filled up all my recent rides had been on those lovely backroads with few stops and cruising sub 50 mph and I got 57 mpg. Mind you I just have a plain-Jane 883 and I'm just turning over to 7,000 miles, I do run all synthetic fluids, well real gas and it's :censor REGULAR gas :shhhh . My milage has been as low as 47mpg and as high as 61 mpg in general I see about 52 mpg and I would say I figure about 98% of the time. With no fuel gauge I set the trip odometer and fill up at 100 to 125 :tour

rICK

bmcdonau
14th March 2007, 05:47
whittlebeast,

I completely agree with most everything you said. My point is to try to figure out on average when the light comes on. Since these bikes no longer have reserve, it would be good for people to know how far they can go once the light goes on.

In addition, the fuel mileage is going to vary some dependent on the things you stated as well as how the bike is ridden or idled. This thread will help provide information to everyone so they can see if something is amiss on theirs.

Several times I have fueled within a hundred feet of the light coming on. It takes almost exactly 2 gallons when that happens so theoretically I have 1.3 gallons left. However, I have been unwilling to test that theory. I figure there has got to be some gas that can't be sucked up by the fuel pump so I'm lucky to have 1 gallon of usable gas left when the light comes on. My best thank was at 52 mpg and my worst has been about 44. I got about 48 this weekend with some pretty spirited two up riding.

danonator
1st May 2007, 06:25
I have an '07 XL1200R - I use premium and have been getting 31.2 MPG!

This is crap... I have 500 miles on it & tried riding it hard & easy and it doesn't matter. It must be running FAT! At the 1,000 mile checkup I will have new pipes & A/C installed. I hope the re-map & add-ons take care of this. I live in Arizona at about 1,000 ft of elevation and this may be because of the altitude but, the ECM is supposed to adjust for this right??

Crusin_w00kie
1st May 2007, 06:39
I'm only at 500 miles, and I ride it pretty good (1200R) with full stg1. I usually get 90 miles before the light comes on (usually at 2 gallons.) If I push for a full 120 miles I'm putting 3 gallons in. I'm still in breakin with non synfluids, so this MIGHT have an effect on the bike,not sure.

williard952
1st May 2007, 14:45
Sunday, on the '07 54"; managed
about 53 into the wind and 63 with
the wind at my back. (now I've got
to convert all those pesky metric tire
dimensions back to english).

-Willy

Blakbird
1st May 2007, 20:05
With 1,100 miles on the clock on my XL1200R around town approx I've been getting around 35, on longer rides around 50.

Around town light comes on around 80, or 2.2 gallons.

Custom 4.5 tank, and mandatory accessories - Mounting kit, gaskets and Sundowner seat - on order. Need to replace the sporty seat log for trips more than 30 minutes anyway :-)

dgarber12771
9th May 2007, 17:35
I picked up my 07 last September and for the first 2500 miles or so, I was averaging about 42 mpg. I've got about 4200 miles on it now and the average has gone up to about 46 mpg (I ride fairly hard and do about 40 miles worth of slab a day at 80 mph) for my daily commute. When I'm just tooling around, it's closer to 50.

I'm 6'0" 195lbs.

basstech
9th May 2007, 17:56
I've got about 600 miles on mine now. I've been getting 40-43 on 93 octane. I ride it pretty hard though a mix of city/highway driving.

I'm also 6ft 230 pounds. Everybody ought to post their weight with there miliage. I'm sure weight is big factor. On my Honda Rebel, my friend who weighs a lot less then me gets another 15mph on the speedo then my fat ass.

Riccardo
10th May 2007, 11:55
I've got 1600km (800) miles. I've getting 52-58 mpg with averge speed 80-100 km/h. Most on mountain highways :)

COSpringer
12th May 2007, 03:35
I'm still breaking in at about 320 miles on a stock 2007 883 Custom. For 2 tanks of 91 octane I'm getting about 55 mpg with a mix of mountain highway and around town mileage.

The_clownboy
12th May 2007, 03:37
i'm getting mid 40's on my stock 1200c. But I also don't mess around on the throttle. :shhhh

renpia
12th May 2007, 05:18
Surprised to hear some of you guys are gettin' 40 - 43 mpg on EFI. When tuned, my '95 was getting nearly 60 mpg. Now it's prolly runnin around 52 - 55 mpg.

Bill2
12th May 2007, 06:02
Surprised to hear some of you guys are gettin' 40 - 43 mpg on EFI. When tuned, my '95 was getting nearly 60 mpg. Now it's prolly runnin around 52 - 55 mpg.

It's all in how you ride, i can get any sportster to drop down into to the 30's (mpg) and also get over 50 mpg on most that are tuned pretty good.

07sporty
12th May 2007, 06:09
i havent really got any long trips on my ride yet, I'm at just over 2500 miles on mine and ride mainly in town beating the hell out of it(just cant stay out of the throttle, and i average between 35-45, depending on my mood or how long rides are, back and forth during the week, the bike doesnt even really get warmed up all the way so mileage sucks on the weekend a lil better longer trips

dodge1977
12th May 2007, 06:11
Just bought 2007 xl1200c today went 100mi. and the low fuel light came on with the 4.5 gallon tank, 34.4mpg. on the first tank bone stock!! not sure if the harley shop filled it completely i am hoping not i never went over 50mph with it.

williard952
21st May 2007, 14:58
Another windy weekend in Iowa...
on the '07 883 the worst fill up was 52
most were around 55 and there were
a couple that were over 60. About a
10% improvement over the '91...
(and I only had to push the choke
in once).
-Willy

jasperpso
25th May 2007, 23:43
went 117 miles the first day, filled up 2.6 gallons.. 45mpg.. mostly 50-60mph.. very first tank.

Nightster1
16th June 2007, 04:21
I have about 1500 on my N, and 44 mpg is my average.

jumpman
30th June 2007, 22:17
Getting about 33 MPG Piss Poor if you ask me. Talked to service about it today and I'm taking it back in two weeks to get it remaped. 900 miles and shows no sign of getting any better.

Front brake also spongy and the front shocks feel like they are going to shake themselves loose when going over a bump.

Shhheeeesh

Moved On / My Own Choice
4th July 2007, 01:00
I haven't voted yet, cause we're still in break-in...

Couldn't tell for certain at the first fill up (cause we don't know for sure the dealer topped it off) but IF they did it would have come to about 42 mpg.

Our next fill-up was rough, at only 38-39 mpg... but it was all local and twisties, and still in break-in.

We're coming up on fill-up number three, we'll report back.

I'll come up with an average after we perform the break-in service, and then I'll vote.

K

OrangeNight
4th July 2007, 03:22
Been averaging around 47-49 the past 3 or 4 tanks, and i like to hear my pipes sing so im not putting around everywhere either....... I'm at almost 1850 miles on the odo now....

Ralphthe3rd
4th July 2007, 05:23
I own/ride an '07 883R w/3300mi on the odo, that is completely STOCK. On average, I get around 55mpg, and I'm NOT babying it...actually, half the time, I'm really pushing it pretty hard !

~Ralph

nightsterman
4th July 2007, 11:32
I just increased my gas mileage by drilling some holes in the stock filter housing. I put in 6 1" holes and my mileage has gone up significantly. I think the stock airbox is too constricting. My last two tanks were 49 mpg, and 45 mpg. I was getting between 39 and 43 mpg. I ride pretty fast though.

Later,
Mark

Gone
4th July 2007, 18:54
Our next fill-up was rough, at only 38-39 mpg... but it was all local and twisties, and still in break-in.
K

That's about where I was at during break-in. After it was broke in and the weather warmed, it shot right into the 50's.

COSpringer
5th July 2007, 17:04
I've been getting 50-55 pretty consistently regardless of around town, highway, or mountains. I'm at about 1,950 miles on my stock 883C.

Moved On / My Own Choice
5th July 2007, 17:13
I haven't voted yet, cause we're still in break-in...

Couldn't tell for certain at the first fill up (cause we don't know for sure the dealer topped it off) but IF they did it would have come to about 42 mpg.

We're coming up on fill-up number three, we'll report back.

I'll come up with an average after we perform the break-in service, and then I'll vote.

K

fill up number 3 was exactly 40 mpg.

only 351 miles on her so far.

I shouldn't be too surprised or disappointed. The bike weighs the same as my EFI Moto Guzzi, puts out similar power and we've been riding them together. My Guzzi consistently gets 40 mpg.

So anything more we get as she finishes break-in is just icing.

K

cfr1970
5th July 2007, 22:26
I've got an '07 1200C with SE slip ons and no airbox mods. I just did 140 mile trip last weekend. The idiot light comes on with ~1.5 gallons left in the 4.5 gallon tank, but when I filled up, I put ~3.1 gallons in and had 149.2 miles on her. Works out to right around 49 mpg. I have a total of 450 miles since new. Still within the break in. Varied speeds and riding styles for the long ride. Hopefully soon, when I get the cash, I'm going to do a breather mod and have her re-mapped.:)

nesene
6th July 2007, 04:22
dpends how i ride but i voted 41-43. if i am around town and can lay down throttle i will. if more interstate than higher.

24inchapes
7th July 2007, 23:44
getting 75-80 miles when the light clicks on, then again, im about 260lbs on a new nightster, v-h shortshots, no baffles and toasting the tire whenever i get the chance

Riccardo
17th July 2007, 10:15
I have european Sportster 883 STD without any modyfication. I have gas milage about 59 on highway and 38 in the city. I ride to work, about 5 miles with many traffic lights. But my city milage grow up! Month or 2 ago, I had 42 mpg!

Weo
17th July 2007, 13:15
I put in a different thread that I've been getting almost exactly 50 mpg. However, I think if I was to do more 50-50 City-Highway it would be in the upper 40's.

nightsterman
18th July 2007, 10:44
nightsterman :
I just increased my gas mileage by drilling some holes in the stock filter housing. I put in 6 1" holes and my mileage has gone up significantly. I think the stock airbox is too constricting. My last two tanks were 49 mpg, and 45 mpg. I was getting between 39 and 43 mpg. I ride pretty fast though.

Later,
Mark

After a few more tanks, my mileage is back down again. I guess the increase was due to the long trip just after the air box mod. It does seem like a gained a little mileage, but not as much as I first thought. I'm getting around 43 mpg lately. There is still an increase in power though.

Later,
Mark

Sportster1
20th July 2007, 05:59
I went on a 2650 mile road trip during the week of the 4th of July. Three other bikes went and we road less than 100 miles of that on the interstate and I averaged over 50 mpg at every fill up. I weigh 240 lbs and I had a large bag on the passenger seat and two smaller bags on the luggage rack. My bike has Rush Slip Ons w/2" baffles, screamin eagle air intake, and stage 1 down load. On the interstate running 70 to 80 mph my average will drop to about 45 mph. When my bike was newer my fuel light came on all the time, especially at 60 mph, now with 17,500 miles on it, it only comes on when I get down to one gallon of gas.

williard952
20th July 2007, 14:39
> now with 17,500 miles on it, it only
> comes on when I get down to one gallon of gas.

And my service guy was impressed when I took the
new bike in for the 10K checkup...

What are the tires lookin' like? (or should I ask
how far you got on the original tires?)

-W

tim4hire
31st July 2007, 19:36
oops just noticed this was for EFI bikes remove 1 vote from the 47-49 range sorry!

NightHawkHD
3rd August 2007, 05:10
:) Hi All,

I never bothered to check it mpg during the first 500 miles. Took it on an 800 mile round trip at about 750 on the odo. Averaged about 47mpg with a couple of long 75-80 mph stretchs. I now have 3100 on it and running SE Synthetic and SE Platinum plugs. Went with the local H.O.G. group on a 200 mile run last weekend and the light didn't come on until 115 miles. I am trying to use non-oxygenated gas as it seems to up the mileage significantly. Average on the road about 49-51 and in town about 42-46.:clap

Sooz
15th August 2007, 18:02
I'm actually very pleased with the fuel consumption on my 1200L. 5.5 litres for 100 km, that's about 42 mpg, at fairly high speeds (70-90 mph). The low fuel light comes on systematically at 12.5 litres (3.3 g), which means I have 4.5 litres (1.2 g) left in the tank - more than enough to get to the next pump. This means I can easily do 250 km (155 m) on the motorway before having to stop - usually about 2 hours riding - time for a break anyway. Best mileage so far has been about 47 mpg.

gomorley
15th August 2007, 18:27
Just checked mine and did 156 before refill and got a return of 56 mpg on a run with speeds up to 80/90 some twisties and some dual carriage roads, all in all I'm happy with that :o)

matpat
15th August 2007, 19:50
Just checked mine after a mix of city and backroad driving, 47mpg. It averages mostly 40mpg and I had pretty much quit checking my mileage. I have just over 2500 miles on the bike so maybe it is getting better mileage now that it is "broken in".

I finished up Stage 1 yesterday and plan to make the same trip again in the next week or so to see if the mileage drops.

Gone
16th August 2007, 03:14
If you all are getting mid 40's average, why is the low fuel light coming on in the 80 to 90 mile range? That means the trigger for the light is at about the 2 to 2.2 gallon mark? Are these 3.3 gallon or the larger Custom tanks? I'm just trying to figure out where the light is set to come on an about how much farther you can go before you run out of gas.

The light on my 07' 883 comes on at exactly 2.2gal used out of 3.3 (1.1 gal remaining)

I'm getting right at 49mpg in my first 600 miles on the odometer. Maybe that will change a bit as I'm out of the break-in period of varying speed and whatnot.

sportsterfreak
21st August 2007, 07:07
my low fuel light comes on at around 145 miles, but I have the 4.5 gal tank on my 1200L. But depending on how I ride I can get between 45-50 mpg. Which coming from a 1000cc sportbike is great. I got about 180 miles on one tank with half a gallon still in the tank when I went to fill it up. I'm happy with my fuel mileage. I did notice that the fuel mileage did improve about 2-3 mpg more after breakin period.:banana

KenWood
22nd August 2007, 21:52
Mine is 05 1200c pretty much stock except fer the VanHines Pipes and I am getting around 52 to 54 mpg. My brother in law just got a new 07 883c and he is hitting around 44mpg. Also my bike has 19,867 miles on it.

KenWood

donniej
25th September 2007, 16:46
I juts put gas in my 07 883 for the first time last night. Most of my ridign has been around town and I've been taking it super-duper easy on it (for the break-in). I got exactly 45mpg. If I rode my '64 the same way, I'm sure I would have gotten similar mileage... though with the '07, I don't have to kick, choke or advance the distributor :)

thomasf59
3rd October 2007, 13:14
These guys getting high mileage figures,must not be filling the tank to the brim when they refill and calculate mpg. 41 -43 is the norm for me, and I don't ride hard, I do ride far enough to warm the engine up. So thats not an issue.

Tom

Biker Farm Boy
3rd October 2007, 23:22
My 2007 1200C has been steadily getting 52 since 500 miles, now has 1,170, I'm a smooth operator and don't push it too hard. 1,000 mile service comming up next Wed. I opted for the Syn 3, hopefully the miliage will remain the same. The throttle was pretty vague at part throttle settings at first but now is linear like a rheostat.

LilHog59
4th October 2007, 04:04
I average 45 city and 50 highway mileage. I've just turned 1,700 miles on the clock and it has been getting better as the mileage increases. I don't expect more though as I tend to twist the throttle a little too much.

Hanzer
4th October 2007, 23:11
1200N Driving in the suburban area of philly.

Getting around 44 city to 55 hwy

Light comes on when about 2-2.1 gallons down in the tank, comes on between 88 and 110 miles really depending on if I am suburban or HWY

Ole Skl
12th October 2007, 20:14
I checked my mileage today with my nightster and was pretty upset. I only got to 82 miles before the low fuel light came on which I believe is set at .8 gallons left in the tank. That works out to about 33 mpg, no where near the 57/42 mark estimated by HD. I sure hope this is only because im still breaking it in.

Fester
17th January 2008, 21:03
getting 75-80 miles when the light clicks on, then again, im about 260lbs on a new nightster, v-h shortshots, no baffles and toasting the tire whenever i get the chance

What he said. :iagree

rakkasanman
17th January 2008, 21:38
I have an 883C and have stayed right around 45 miles to the gallon, I was a little easier on the throttle the first 800 or so miles, but I have gotten a bit more aggressive, especially off the start on traffic lights. Don't do any interstate riding, if I am heading down to say Nashville, TN ( 50 or so miles away) I always take the 2 lane highway back roads. Much more scenic than speedlimit signs and semi truck rear doors.

TJsmith
19th January 2008, 00:33
I have an '07 XL1200R - I use premium and have been getting 31.2 MPG!

This is crap... I have 500 miles on it & tried riding it hard & easy and it doesn't matter. It must be running FAT! At the 1,000 mile checkup I will have new pipes & A/C installed. I hope the re-map & add-ons take care of this. I live in Arizona at about 1,000 ft of elevation and this may be because of the altitude but, the ECM is supposed to adjust for this right??

It's mot the atlitude. I live in Atlanta, and the alt here is 1,000 ft also, and I get about 45 mpg. You may have one of those bikes with the defective fuel pumps I have read about here.

tumtum4
3rd June 2008, 23:25
just got back from a weekend trip down to branson mo averaged about 52-54 miles a gallon if not more.

marcsRX
3rd June 2008, 23:29
I have an 08 1200N. I rode to Wisconsin & the light would come on at ~114miles, and would require about 2.1gallons of fuel.

I am at stage one with about 2k on the odometer.

spnkthebear
4th June 2008, 00:24
Well Iím 6-0 260lbs and my bike has just rolled 5k. I get an average of 42-43mpg (don't pay attention to when the light comes on just divide gallons I put in by mileage.) thatís ride'n pretty hard. Last weekend went for a nice ride down the free way and only got 38mpg but that was with about 90% between 90mph and 10% a little over a hundred. (and with no windshield felt like I went threw a marathon night of the playboy channel ouch!)

PS as far as the light goes when i notice i get gas other then that don't care what its doing.

rakkasanman
4th June 2008, 03:14
I was getting about 45 mpg then I switched to a K&N air filter and rush slipons. Now I get right around 50 mpg. I do mainly open road driving back and forth to work (40 miles round trip) and don't ride too crazy. I have 5800 miles on the bike at the time.

chasespeed
4th June 2008, 05:12
I ride like an a$$hole... I am happy to get 75miles before the gas light comes on....

Chase

racerwill
4th June 2008, 05:28
sorry, didn't realize this was a fuelie thread..... but with my old carb'd, solid mount, high compression, race cammed 883 turned 1100 I put 2.3 gals of high test every 125miles......and I twist on it pretty good

Ww

mwesterd
4th June 2008, 06:11
I bought a 1200c(105th Aniv).First tank was low 30s and the rest of the fills have been 41-43 mpg,very dissapointing!I just took it in for the 1000 mile service and the dealer said that this is "normal".It will take 2-3000 mile for the break in.43 mpg is a far cry from the 57mpg that they claimed it will get.Sure hope they are right.

Geekster
4th June 2008, 07:01
I do get at least 46mpg (5.1 liters per 100km) but every now and then it gets up into the 50ies (4.6 liters per 100km) if I'm cruising steady for longer periods of time.

packdog
13th June 2008, 07:14
2008 1200R. I didn't vote yet since I am still doing the break-in, but with about 800 miles on the clock, my last long ride (300 miles) I got about 39 mpg at each tank fill. That is up from about 36 mpg during the first 500 miles.

papabear
16th June 2008, 03:29
about 50mpg and thats uk gallons not us.

buffaloaz
16th June 2008, 23:53
The first 1,000 miles i was getting around 35mpg and now that i have 1500 miles on it it's jumped all the way up to around 40mpg:(. It sure isn't what i was told it would be. I love the bike but i sure ain't saving the money i thought i was going to.

thomasf59
16th June 2008, 23:56
If I wanted mileage per gallon I would of bought an 883 or a scooter.

mk2wilson
19th June 2008, 21:15
I been riding my wife's 08 883L lately to get the break in complete and it has been getting about 53 to 54. It is bone stock and now has about 650 miles on it.

desert rat
20th June 2008, 06:39
I have a 08 xl883 I live 12 miles from town with 2900 miles on my bike if I ride to town ride around alot a come home I get about 52-55 miles to the gallon if just out mocstly highway my fuel light comes on at about 130miles filled up at159 miles and it too 2.7 gallons to top off with mid grade

darthgrim
20th June 2008, 18:15
08 XL1200C, Stock, 93 octane at every fill up. 0-1300 miles I got 35 - 40mpg tops. Since the 1000 mi service and switch to synthetic (not sure the syn made a difference) I am getting 42-50mpg.

Gone
22nd June 2008, 21:58
With Rush slip-ons, 2" baffle, stock a/c = 49-51.
With my beloved stock pipes put back on, less the drilled out plug, I get with NO BS, 52-54 on my 2007 EFI 883 Standard. I use a K&N a/c with no fuel management on this configuration.
I weigh 242 pounds.

krono
1st July 2008, 22:16
I get about 14 km per liter

WrightNightster
1st July 2008, 22:36
Im getting around 54 when im cruising down the highway doing 70 on my 1200N. I have filled up a few times when the light came on and put 2.2 gallons in her. I think the farthest I have gone before filling up was around 155 something miles and still had about .3 gallons in the tank

bonehed927
2nd July 2008, 21:51
i am riding an 08 883L with 1275 miles on it. After the 1000k sodemy at the dealer and all syn fluids I average about 47 miles to the gallon. The gas light comes on at anywhere from 90 to 105 miles and there is still 1 gallon or more left in the tank.

duane55792
5th July 2008, 06:59
08 1200 L I am about 6 ft and 210 lbs bike just hit 700 miles every fill since picked it up has averaged 40 mpg, in my opinion at 40 mpg i should have 50+ more hp sure hope it improves; maybe a stage 1 would help

Quay
5th July 2008, 07:51
08 1200 L I am about 6 ft and 210 lbs bike just hit 700 miles every fill since picked it up has averaged 40 mpg, in my opinion at 40 mpg i should have 50+ more hp sure hope it improves; maybe a stage 1 would help

Don't be shocked. Many of us have gone through that. Lots of stop and go during break-in plus the engine being a bit tight, all adds up. I cursed mine for months at 38-42 mpg (heck 2,800 lbs. CARS do that). I had a stage one early on, along with the quick detach 1/4 fairing, the engine seemed to loosen up nicely after about 1,000-1,200 miles (it FELT better than the dyno run at 800 miles), the weather warmed up - a big help, and today 55+ is pretty common on the highway.

Quay
5th July 2008, 08:06
Also, I would have thought that the EFI bikes would have gotten better mileage.

Carbs atomize fuel better than EFI, plus have time well outside the cylinder at the beginning of the intake tract to thoroughly vaporize the droplets. Thus, when properly tuned, carbs can give a slight edge in efficiency. The latest injectors are catching up, with technology creating an increasingly finer "mist" when they spray the fuel. The practical difference between carb or EFI remains very small in hp and mpg.
Bikes such as the Honda CBR900RR have coolant heated carbs which vaporize fuel essentially "perfect", and when ridden like a road bike instead of a race bike, they can deliver stunning mpg numbers.

vmaxx4
16th July 2008, 04:02
I'm getting consistant 19 Km/L or 45 miles/US Gallon or 54 miles/Imperial gallon.

emzdogz
21st July 2008, 14:01
happy to report that on yesterday's ride I got 48 mpg. That was mostly highway, but fairly rowdy riding, some high speed roll-ons etc. 70-80 mph.
I am well satisfied with that mileage.
Was looking at some pages online a few days ago, which listed mileage ratings for the different bikes and I was surprised at how many bikes DIDN'T get better mileage than what I mentioned and many got significantly worse mileage.

So I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I will continue to enjoy that (relatively)good level of fuel efficiency.

duane55792
21st July 2008, 22:49
brought bike to stealer today for the 1000 mile service, they suspect a possible intake leak for the seemingly lean condition/ poor fuel mileage. wonder if this is a problem on the 08's?

atiredwing
1st August 2008, 05:36
brought bike to stealer today for the 1000 mile service, they suspect a possible intake leak for the seemingly lean condition/ poor fuel mileage. wonder if this is a problem on the 08's?

First ride out of the stealers door on my 08 Nightster and the fuel light came on at exactly 100 miles. Fill up was just over 2 gallons. (That seems to be pretty consistent on for when the light comes on) Since then mileage has steadily gone down though. Took in for the 1k last weekend. Was hoping that would boost it a little and get me back above 40. After reading other posts here I am beginning to believe I need to look at going stage one ASAP.

Has everyone seen improvement after going stage 1?

FastHoss
11th August 2008, 17:41
I get between 40 and 45 pretty regular.I notice the inside of the pipes are pretty black,it is probably getting too much fuel but the dang thing runs good,I think I will leave well enough alone.All stock except for 1/2 hole in each baffle.

jag1200r
12th August 2008, 03:49
I just had the 1K service completed at the stealer where I changed to SYN 3. I have yet to check the mileage since the service but I can say my wife and I took a trip to Florida and when we started mileage was 405 and when we returned it was 981. These roads were up hill down hill. I am 180 she is 120 and 30 of gear and sissy bar. Highest recorded MPG was 54 when the bike had a little over 500 miles on it and riding two-up. Once there my brother and I rode very hard down "bloody 98" that night and I registered 45 MPG and the lowest ever on record. Now on the way back it stuck to 52.9-53.4 MPG but we did some spirited two-up riding on some of the best curves I have ever seen. So, I couldn't tell you what is "NORMAL", but I am averaging around 50 all the time.

atiredwing
13th August 2008, 05:01
First ride out of the stealers door on my 08 Nightster and the fuel light came on at exactly 100 miles. Fill up was just over 2 gallons. (That seems to be pretty consistent on for when the light comes on) Since then mileage has steadily gone down though. Took in for the 1k last weekend. Was hoping that would boost it a little and get me back above 40. After reading other posts here I am beginning to believe I need to look at going stage one ASAP.

Has everyone seen improvement after going stage 1?

I now have just over 1500 on my 08 Nightster. Am happy to report that the last two tanks have seen an increase in mileage. Average 45-46 on both. Current tank appears to be in line with that or possibly higher. Hope it doesn't rain again tomorrow so I can ride and find out if this trend is going to continue.
:)

epbiala
14th August 2008, 04:50
Are you all filling back up when the light comes on or at a certain miles driven? I bought my 08 1200l the end of May and have over 1500 miles today. I filled up whenever the light was steadily on for the first couple of tanks and only to find out almost a gallon and half was left oh and the light come on around 122 miles.

Now I am keeping a mental note when the light comes and ride another 40 some miles before I fill up again.

Here's what I've kept track of:

Date Miles Gallons Per/Gallon Miles Total Miles/Gallon
05/29/08 152 2.926 3.879 138 $11.35 47.16
06/06/08 293 3.102 3.849 141 $11.94 45.45
06/14/08 422 2.934 4.189 129 $12.29 43.97
06/24/08 577 3.297 4.199 155 $13.84 47.01
07/02/08 736 3.209 4.179 159 $13.41 49.55
07/09/08 891 3.324 4.189 155 $13.92 46.63
07/21/08 1033 3.340 4.139 142 $13.82 42.51
07/26/08 1196 3.091 4.099 163 $12.67 52.73
07/30/08 1318 3.192 4.099 122 $13.08 38.22
08/05/08 1482 3.592 3.999 164 $14.36 45.66
08/11/08 1638 3.579 3.969 156 $14.21 43.59

This is a combination of city and highway riding to and back to work total of 40 miles round trip. I am averaging 45 miles per gallon so ideally 180 per tank with room for error :wonderlan

txpetroguy
14th August 2008, 18:14
2008 XL1200C Before 1k service, fuel light would come on at 130 miles and would take 3.2 gallons to refuel (40.625mpg). After the 1k service and the addition of syn oil, fuel light comes on at 145 (45.3125mpg). Dealer said to it would get better after the engine loosens up a bit. Now at 2200 miles, I'm still getting 45 mpg. I communte everyday 52 miles roundtrip. 70% highway, 30% city sometimes stop and go. However I took a 250 mile trip in the country and only got 46 mpg. I was ridding between 65-70 mph. All stock except for SE Slip-ons.

packdog
19th September 2008, 09:41
I was getting between 35 and 42 mpg.
My bike also stumbled, coughed, and sometimes died when started cold.

It had been to the dealer several times for this, but they couldn't find anything wrong with it.

I took it to a local independent dealer who found the intake leak on the rear cylinder. Apparently this is quite common on the 07-08 Sportsters, even straight from the showroom.

Once that was fixed, I started getting 52 to 59 mpg.

If you suffer from poor mileage you might want to have your bike checked for intake leaks. As a word of caution though, many dealers don't look very closely. Not as a bash on dealers, but most of the shops have a cheap spray leak detection system that doesn't work very well, so make sure you go to a mechanic (dealer or independent) who either is willing to take the extra time to check the system, or who has something better than just a can of brake fluid (or whatever it is that they use) with a straw on it.

Ruhan123
19th September 2008, 11:02
I have 21K on my '06 1200C. Has averaged as high as 49 on trips and normally 43 - 45 for my daily commute and round town. Not unhappy just curious at 50+ miles. I haven't seen that on this bike or my previous '97 883. I'm not a corner carver as a norm and run 65 - 75 on the highway depending on conditions.

A_Ride_4_ever
19th September 2008, 13:32
What I did to get better MPG is get the hub and LCD/Map switch for the PCIII I can lode 2 maps and switch back and forth, When I had it dyno'd they created a ride it like u stole it and a SFl granny map. the granny map gets me just at 54mpg highway, the other map is 42-46mpg city/HW If anyone is interested my bud has a 2nd hub and aux switch for cheap.

naked_racer
19th September 2008, 21:52
I normally get about 40mpg, but thats cuz I'm used to sportbikes, and the nightster just isn't fast enough;)

Jeramy
21st September 2008, 07:57
never under50 but can't seem to get over 54 no matter how i ride it.

can ride it like i stole it and still get 50.took a little 400 mile road trip couple of months ago up in the moutains riding twisties all but about 75 of those miles and riding hard...still got 54mpg.

07 883c Screamin eagle A/C . Teds cycle shack slipons.stage one download/remap.other wise stock

birdmove
21st September 2008, 18:33
Cycle World recently did a piece on some of the fuel efficient motorcycles. The highest mileage one they did in the piece was a Honda Street legal 230cc dual sport that got over 90mpg. They listed the XL883 at 55 mpg. That's pretty high for Cycle World, as they usually flog a bike down to the lower end of gas mileage.

jon

Kdiv71
23rd September 2008, 02:25
On a 400 mile trip last weekend, I got 45-49 mpg averaging @70mph+, one tankful was near 50, the rest seemed closer to 45. In town, I seem to get about 45 as well. I only have 1500 miles on the bike and ride pretty chill. I bet tooling down the highway at 55-65 I get low 50's mpg. The light comes on around 90 mile mark.

blkshark
23rd September 2008, 03:21
2007 XL883 Standard: I checked the 52-54 button. It's always get at least that, sometimes high fifties. Mostly country roads and California 'city' streets which is half a mile between lights and speed limits around 45-50. I rarely go over 70 and have 2000 miles on the bike. The low fuel light comes on after about 100-110 miles.

blankline9
23rd September 2008, 04:37
i usually average between 44-46, that's with highway and city riding. I have the fuel pak, v & h slipons and screamin eagle a/c. i'm in florida and have 8,000 miles on it. I'm usually in a hurry so I can't say that I putt around on it either.

vilification
29th September 2008, 18:38
I think I'm getting about 44

nightsterRyder
23rd October 2008, 22:20
i have to ride easy to get 40mpg in my '07 nightster. it has a SE stage 1 kit and VH pipes. my gas light consistently comes on 85 miles into tank and i can push it to 100 miles. When i fill up it usually takes 2.3 gallons.

billybob64
24th October 2008, 05:33
1200 miles on 883L .After 500 miles it improved to 55 mpg. Always use premium gas.

A_Ride_4_ever
24th October 2008, 14:48
This is right around what im getting, A good way of tracking this is to use http://www.miamigasprices.com if your in Florida, I believe they have affiliates all over the US. They have a millage tracker that helps track MPG, how much gas u have used as well as a wealth of other info. im sure there are other sites out there like this, If anyone has a good one post it. Id like to check it out.

wstandis
24th October 2008, 18:37
47 for me .................................................. ......

ignaceworang
10th November 2008, 20:51
mine gets about 57 miles with V&H straightshot HS and heavy breather.

rdunnill
18th November 2008, 07:26
I get 45 on the interstate, much less in town.

A far cry from 57 highway/42 city.

scg1981
18th November 2008, 11:00
i went on a ride to Carlsbad, CA this past weekend and got 50 mpg.
07 1200N with vh short shots, fuel pak, and big sucker air cleaner.

sportster2
20th November 2008, 17:36
I normally have about 50 mpg when riding long distance on a highway. If I go fast, its like 46 mpg on a highway. I once got 53 mpg when riding slower than normal. Average of all riding during the 2008 season is 45, including lots of city traffic and hitting the gas hard. During the Saddle Sore 1000 average mpg was 46. My bike is 2007 883C. I have Custom Chrome straight pipes, no remaps and everything else is stock.

savoy9020
4th December 2008, 03:48
I've been riding mine to work for the last 7 months, 100 miles round trip. Getting consistently 55 mpg.

I've gotten as high as 57 on a slower ride through some back country.

savoy

A_Ride_4_ever
5th December 2008, 14:40
i have progressively gotten worse fuel millage, im at 35 now and dropping, my trip is 40m round trip and a lot of stop go, The mods have definitely made Gm worse. but the ohh sooo kick in the pants is worth it for the most part :tour.

Roadrat
6th December 2008, 10:06
hi y'all - i found the biggest difference to mpg is usually caused by my right hand . i've seen 50'ish 0n a run but as low as 20 on short hops in winter . ( stock '72 XLCH / bendix ).

rdunnill
18th December 2008, 00:39
'07 1200R. My light was coming on between 76 and 86 miles, and BTW, I'm big and I ride hard. Didn't seem to matter if it was stop-n-go or interstate. Then I put the SE SP's on (just the mufflers, no air upgrade) and my first tank, I got 108 miles before the light came on. Since then, if its strictly hauling ass around town, its anywhere from 40-46 mpg and open road is a pretty steady 55 mpg.

-FDAre these (http://www.latus-harley-davidson.com/Screamin-Eagle-Street-Performance-Slip-On-Mufflers-Sportster-Shorty-Dual-1.htm) the mufflers that worked the magic?

Shadow_Demon
3rd January 2009, 00:51
I've got an '08 1200R and I get around 58mpg. I've checked it twice. I hear the nightsters aren't doing even close to that.

sololow1200n
3rd January 2009, 01:29
with the wind at my back out to vegas, i avg'd around 54-56 at around 85-90mph through the dessert. on the way back against the wind same speeds, i got much lower. around 35-40. i was riding my 1200n.:tour

rlabistr
3rd January 2009, 09:05
I've tracked my fuel mileage since I purchased my 883L in May '07. Over the 19,000 miles I've driven, my average mpg is 50.4.

I normally ride to and from work on the highway at 60-65 mph, for a 52 mile round trip.

The lowest mpg that I recorded was 44.7 during a 113 mile trip on Interstate 8 at 75-80 mph.

Everything is stock.

A_Ride_4_ever
3rd January 2009, 14:13
have you paid your taxes yet ? once you do you will not get even close to 58, My 1200r when new pre-tax got around the same one taxes were paid it drooped to the mid to high 30's

I've got an '08 1200R and I get around 58mpg. I've checked it twice. I hear the nightsters aren't doing even close to that.

sololow1200n
3rd January 2009, 17:17
have you paid your taxes yet ? once you do you will not get even close to 58, My 1200r when new pre-tax got around the same one taxes were paid it drooped to the mid to high 30's

wow that sucks. my taxes are paid (at least performace wise)and i average around 46-54 mpg. it is usually mostly freeway riding and back country twisty road riding. this is riding my 08' 1200n......with over 10,000 miles on the odometer.:rolleyes:

BIGschwerm
3rd January 2009, 17:22
I get anywhere from 39 to 43 but im happy with that....

Uneasy Rider
3rd January 2009, 18:12
Mine is too new, ya gotta put 2-5000 miles on it before everything loosens up.

Ill get back to you next month

rlabistr
3rd January 2009, 19:41
Sorry, I'm fairly new to motorcycles. My '07 883L is the first one I've ever owned. I'm not up on the lingo, so I'll have to ask you what you mean when you say "Have you paid your taxes yet?". Are you referring to upgrades?

sololow1200n
3rd January 2009, 19:48
Sorry, I'm fairly new to motorcycles. My '07 883L is the first one I've ever owned. I'm not up on the lingo, so I'll have to ask you what you mean when you say "Have you paid your taxes yet?". Are you referring to upgrades?

this may help with the lingohttp://www.xlforum.net/vbportal/modules.php?name=Encyclopedia:tour

rlabistr
3rd January 2009, 19:59
Great. Thanks for the link. That will make things a whole lot clearer. So then, no, I have not paid my taxes yet, though I've been considering it heavily. Thanks again.

Rookie Rick :banadanc

Shadow_Demon
5th January 2009, 15:14
I've got an 08 1200R and I get 58mpg.

birdmove
17th January 2009, 23:01
I just picked up a nice 2006 XL883 stocker, and I seem to be getting 43-45.But that is commuting in the cold winter and firing it off cold,riding 7.5 miles and shutting it off, and doing it again 9 hours later. Thats not conducive to getting the best gas mileage.That, I'll do this summer.
Jon in Puyallup, Wa. USA

Uneasy Rider
18th January 2009, 05:05
Now that I have a few weeks on my 08 "C". Im getting 42ish. I do all freeway driving.

The stealer said the reason its so low is because my fat butt wieghts so much, and the windshield causes drag.

Full thing is that when I put the same windshield on my last putt, I gained 4 mpg.

I guess Ill wait a few 1000 miles and pray for 45mpg