PDA

View Full Version : XL1200R mystery full stop...

Mr Davo
28th March 2005, 18:45
I was at a rally this weekend, after a wet Saturday night we went out for a ride, she started fine and ran fine, but after a couple of miles the bike suddenly (no misfire first, nothing) died, as if the kill switch had been hit (it hadn't).

No lights came on, the battery seemed fine, it cranked over but wouldn't run. Using the logic that a computer runs the ignition, I did what I'd do if a PC crashed - I turned it off and on again. Result - it started first time!

I've done 100 miles since over two days and it's run perfectly, but it's dented my confidence in the reliabilty - I bought a new bike because I'd got sick of my old Norton suddenly losing its sparks, lights or whatever, now I keep thinking "what if it cuts out now..."

Anyone had this? can the module just crash (maybe there was a mobile mast or a radio ham in the area?)

klown
28th March 2005, 18:50
Personally, I've never heard of this. You had enough gas in it didn't you? I know it's a stupid question, but it's all I could think of.

Mr Davo
28th March 2005, 18:58
Tank half full, on the main tap. It was as if it had run out, if it does it again I'll take the cap off to see if theres a vacuum lock or something. It was too far to go on a float bowl full, but not by much.

XLFREAK
28th March 2005, 19:02
I was at a rally this weekend, after a wet Saturday night we went out for a ride, she started fine and ran fine, but after a couple of miles the bike suddenly (no misfire first, nothing) died, as if the kill switch had been hit (it hadn't).

No lights came on, the battery seemed fine, it cranked over but wouldn't run. Using the logic that a computer runs the ignition, I did what I'd do if a PC crashed - I turned it off and on again. Result - it started first time!

I've done 100 miles since over two days and it's run perfectly, but it's dented my confidence in the reliabilty - I bought a new bike because I'd got sick of my old Norton suddenly losing its sparks, lights or whatever, now I keep thinking "what if it cuts out now..."

Anyone had this? can the module just crash (maybe there was a mobile mast or a radio ham in the area?)

At the traffic signal. As soon as it was safe, I pulled her over and checked everything. Well my dumb ass ran out of gas. I screwed up on the numbers. I have always been able to hit reserve before drying out (always set my meter). Not this time, I wasn't paying attention. I then clicked reserve, fired her right up and off I went. The electrical systems in the new Sportsters are much improved. Hell the new line of Sportsters have improved overall. But like the old saying goes, "Shit Happens!"

Taxes are paid!

alleydude
28th March 2005, 19:09
We just had the same symptoms in our '04. Turned out to be water in the gas.

Mr Davo
29th March 2005, 09:19
That's possible, it had been out in the rain all night, if water can get in the S/E air cleaner now theres no backing plate. Still not sure though.

bplinson
29th March 2005, 09:26
One reason why you might wanna get one of the HurricaneFlow A/Cs from NRHS. Rain would have a lot harder time going through an oil soaked K&N filter.

I have the 3 inch HurricaneFLow kit on the way for mine and just about a whole inch of the filter sticks out of the ham can without problemds from rain.

From what I have been hearing from all of the 04 and 05 owners the SE AC is a piece of crap paper filter that doews not last more than few months. A K&N filter will last decades with proper care.

gronk62
29th March 2005, 11:39

I had the exact same thing happen to my 04 in december. It wasn't raining though and hadn't been all day.

Turned the key off and back on and it fired right up and has not missed a beat since.

There have been a number of threads here dealing with this same incident and nobody has been able to give a definate reason for it.

I agree it puts a dent in ya confidence.

stevo
29th March 2005, 11:47
Bank angle sensor....

When they trip the motor dies instantly.......

you can't restart it .....

turn the key off for about 6 seconds and turn it back on and it resets it...

Then it runs fine....

LuxBlue
29th March 2005, 12:26
Mr. Davo, sounds exactly what happened to me. Check this link. Hasn't done it since. 200+ miles after, running like a clock.

http://www.xlforum.net/forums/showthread.php?t=4351

LuxBlue
29th March 2005, 12:29
Also, Stevo is probably right about the bank angle sensor. Makes sense that turning off the key switch and turning back on would reset the problem.

http://www.xlforum.net/forums/showthread.php?t=4351

mark883
29th March 2005, 13:30
If it does it again, look see if the odo readout says "TIP". That means the tilt sensor's been tripped and killed the ignition. You turn the ignition switch on & off to clear it out. Something could've mysteriously tripped the tilt detector.

sportsterrific
29th March 2005, 13:41
How about a heavy keychain turning the ignition off while you're riding? It's happened to me before.

Mr Davo
29th March 2005, 14:44
Thanks, I read the link, what happened to Luxblue sounds identical. It hadn't switched off, I had lights, speedo etc, it didn't say "tip". I wasn't banked over either. It tried to start on the starter, but wouldn't catch, like when you've low fuel.

Glad it hasn't happened to you again, guess I'll just pretend it didn't happen. With the Brit bikes we used to say "let it develop" about occasional misfires etc., guess the same applies here. Glad I'm not the only one!

LuxBlue
29th March 2005, 16:17
I'm not going to worry unless it happens again. If it gets to be a problem I'll take her in although how could a tech find an anomoly like that? I'm going to treat it as an "Oh well" and see how it goes. Bike's run fine since.

Speedy818
29th March 2005, 16:20
I vaguely remember something about a recall on the petcocks on the 2004 bikes. You might just not have been flowing enough fuel. Might want to look into that.

stevo
29th March 2005, 21:19
A fuel blockage will NOT give those symptoms.....
if the fuel stops then it will run on the fuel in the bowl and will run lean and cough.....
same as when it needs to go to reserve

rydes84
5th April 2005, 16:41
Had the same thing happen to me last night. Riding home after a game straight down the center of the road and the bike just dies no sputter or anything. So i pull the clutch roll to side of the road and stop. Hit the starter and it just cranks. I only had 15 miles on this tank of gas so I know i had plenty of gas. Reached down turned the key off turned it back on hit the starter and she fires right up. Kind of freaky riding a silent bike down the road at 11 oclock at night. Hopefully it doesnt do it again.

mark883
5th April 2005, 17:52
Well, since there's a little computer in there controlling the spark, it must act just like your big desktop computer. Sometimes it gets so locked up it won't work, you just gotta cuss, hit the power switch and restart.

gronk62
6th April 2005, 08:53
Well, since there's a little computer in there controlling the spark, it must act just like your big desktop computer. Sometimes it gets so locked up it won't work, you just gotta cuss, hit the power switch and restart.
And I believe this to be a very true statement..BUT I'd really like to know WHAT is upsetting that little computer.

My bike has only shut down once and I really don't want it to happen again.

cbsportster
7th April 2005, 02:10
I have an 04 xl did the same thing twice. It had only 400 mi. first time and 600 second time. I found out that when they charged the battery they pushed the battery back in and caused the ground cable to be loose. Tighten and no more problems.

gronk62
7th April 2005, 11:40
I have an 04 xl did the same thing twice. It had only 400 mi. first time and 600 second time. I found out that when they charged the battery they pushed the battery back in and caused the ground cable to be loose. Tighten and no more problems.
Hmmm..that was one of the first things I checked. If it happens to me again I think I'll have another really close look at the battery terminal connections.

kmm0000
15th April 2005, 05:40
The ignition module runs Windows 2000, make sure to download the service packs.

Sorry, could not resist.

Kelley
15th April 2005, 17:03
I had the same thing happen to me on the So Cal run on the 23rd. We were going along at about 45-50 mph and were stopped at a red light, just siting there and the bikes turns off. I thought that maybe I had flipped the off/run switch. Nope, so I try to start it and white smoke is coming out of the pipes. This is a busy street and I was worried about someone running over me. Two of the guys from the Forum were behind me and we got the bike across three lanes to the shoulder. I, like someone posted earler, thought that it might be some computer thing and turned off the key, let it rest for a few seconds and BAM it starts right up. Only 2500 miles on the bike. We rode for over a hundred miles through some twisties and elevation changes w/o another problem. Don't know what it was but after six days of ridding since, average 100 miles/day not another hicc-up. Don't know for sure but seems that it was something electrical as the motor was gettin fuel (white smoke) hope it doesn't happen again....