PDA

View Full Version : 07 sporties with 3.3 gallon / gas light

dynamos2000
5th March 2007, 02:48
I've probably just overlooked it in the manual 20 times but when the low fuel light comes on... are you supposed to have around 1 gallon left or a tad more?

Gary7
5th March 2007, 02:56
I've probably just overlooked it in the manual 20 times but when the low fuel light comes on... are you supposed to have around 1 gallon left or a tad more?

I think it's a tad more. Based on the number of times I've filled up within 5 miles of the light coming on, I'd say there is about 1.3 gal in the tank when the light comes on.

trixter
5th March 2007, 03:07
I try to get gas within 50 miles of it coming on, it's worked so far.

meathead
6th March 2007, 12:29
I am doing a slow break-in on a new 883. My light went on a couple of days ago so I did a carefull fill up yesterday and got in 2.48 gallons. That should have left .82 remaining. I can live with that.....meathead

yorgo
6th March 2007, 14:10
A Sportster with fuel injection just isn't a sportster anymore. Rip that EFI junk off your manifold, along with that fuel light, and duct tape an old Thermoquad on that thang.

dracolich
6th March 2007, 16:24
When I first got mine the and the low fuel light came on it had a tad over a gallon left. Now at 6500 miles when the light comes on it has about a half gallon left. Dont trust the light.

dynamos2000
6th March 2007, 16:35
When I first got mine the and the low fuel light came on it had a tad over a gallon left. Now at 6500 miles when the light comes on it has about a half gallon left. Dont trust the light.

Gotcha, thats scary. I think I'll stick to "light comes on, get gas within 30-35 miles" and play it safe as long as the miles on my tripmeter seem 'normal' for the light to come on.

Samickguy15
6th March 2007, 17:00
A Sportster with fuel injection just isn't a sportster anymore. Rip that EFI junk off your manifold, along with that fuel light, and duct tape an old Thermoquad on that thang.

Yeah! Rip it off! And give it to me:D

I would be more than happy to trade some my stock carb for a stock EFI setup.

Coasty
7th March 2007, 01:35
That is correct however I us it for a cignal to get a beer.

MikeOK
7th March 2007, 03:09
That is correct however I us it for a cignal to get a beer.

best post ever

Jackster
7th March 2007, 03:30
Drunk post! Haha. Yeah I usually put ~2 gallons in when the light comes on, so it must be just over a gallon.

yorgo
7th March 2007, 03:33
Yeah! Rip it off! And give it to me:D

I would be more than happy to trade some my stock carb for a stock EFI setup.

What are you talking about. Man there's nothing like having to adjust and readjust and readjust and readjust your idle mixture screw every time the weather changes. If I were to trade my carby in for an EFI I wouldn't know what to do with myself except maybe ride more.

meathead
7th March 2007, 03:49
MMMMmmmmm, beer. Corona please!:p

Jackster
7th March 2007, 03:57
Adjusting carbs is so yesteryear. :P Some guys swear by 'em but personally I like not having to deal with it.

Gary7
7th March 2007, 04:08
MMMMmmmmm, beer. Corona please!:p

Sam Adams Black Lager for me, please. :drinkbeer

yorgo
7th March 2007, 13:29
Those low fuel lights make me nervous. My other bike has one and between it and the fuel gauge they tell some wild stories. I never seen electronics lie so much. After a fill up the mileage estimator tells me I can ride for 149miles. At around 60 odo miles the fuel gauge sinks to E and the little lying light comes on.

LakesideTR
8th March 2007, 17:43
I hear this!

Big_Baazzoo
8th March 2007, 18:34
Gas light? There is a light that comes on to tell you when to get gas? Jeez, next thing will be a light to tell you when to shift gears, or an electronic map that tells you where you are like in spy movies. That's just crazy talk.

celtic
8th March 2007, 19:09
in the short while i've had mine, it turns on after i go about 90 miles.

i have NEVER trusted it. i always set my trip odometer when i fill up - and i fill up when i've gone about 100 miles...

idahopilot
12th March 2007, 15:22
in the short while i've had mine, it turns on after i go about 90 miles.

i have NEVER trusted it. i always set my trip odometer when i fill up - and i fill up when i've gone about 100 miles...

Yep,
Me too. 100 miles on the trip meter, it's time to get gas, but I seem to be getting terrible gas mileage. My low fuel light comes on @ 64 miles.

55Bear
12th March 2007, 20:19
I have to agree with Celtic and Idahopilot... I use my trip odometer and fill up at 90 - 100 miles. I don't trust the light either. Mine comes on anywhere from 65 -95 miles, depending on how hard I've been twisting my right wrist :)

On another note.... does everyone know that the new Sporties also have a CLOCK! At least it can be set for 24hr time.

55Bear

Screw Loose Dan
12th March 2007, 20:47
My light appears to work pretty reliably, but I do keep an eye on the odometer. Generally the light comes on at 100 miles (+- 10 miles depending on how I've been riding) and it usually takes 2 - 2.2 gallons to fill up at that point. I would guess that I probably couldn't actually get every last drop of the 3.3 gallons, so I figure the light is indicating nearly a gallon of usable fuel. I hope I never really find out...

Gone
6th April 2007, 00:01
Make mine a brew that makes you smart: you know it made Bud wiser!

bell883c
6th April 2007, 00:32
From what I understand you don't want the tank to get to low very often because the fuel pump is cooled by the fuel in the tank, just like in many newer cars. If the tank gets low on a regular basis it will shorten the life of the pump. I use the odometer and pay no attention to the light.

gammaqueen
6th April 2007, 02:36
Mine has the larger 4.5 gallon tank and if I stop as soon as the light comes on I can only fit 3 gallons in. I have 1.5 gallons remaining when the light comes on.

Jackster
6th April 2007, 04:44
Once my light comes on, I get gas within 5 miles. It just ain't worth risking getting stuck on the road somewhere.

williard952
6th April 2007, 05:19
The little yellow light almost... almost, beats reaching
down the right side in 70MPH rush hour traffic...
and forgetting which way it has to twist to get to reserve.

Although the pregnant peanut on the '07 doesn't look
quite as sleek & slim at the one on the old bike, I think
I'm gettin' to like those extra 50 miles...

Well, 'cept for right now, here in the dead of
winter, when it's nice to stop in every town and have
6 or 8 cups of hot coffee. (gas, head, cafe, 15 miles,
gas, head...).

All the young kids look at me funny when I ask for
"50 cents worth of Good Gulf"

-W

jl13
6th April 2007, 22:19
My light comes on at about only 75miles, but when i fill up it only takes like 2.5 gal or less... I dont take the chance to get stock somewhere so i fill up everytime the ligh comes on...I guess that is what the light is for Lol!

BlueHen
6th April 2007, 22:40
I use the odometer and pay no attention to the light.

NICE!! Ahh the benefits of technology:p

BlueHen
6th April 2007, 22:44
I guess I never thought about how accurate the petcock switch is. When you sputter you have EXACTLY .8 gal. left. Period. I wonder if being able to switch to reserve at highway speeds will become a lost art.

lm118
7th April 2007, 04:07
For any metrics:

883L, my light is on about 150-170km, fills up with about 8L, so about 4L remaining on reserve.

idahopilot
9th April 2007, 01:37
Update. . . My light comes on @ 59 miles! Stopped at the gas station as soon as the light came on; still had 2 gal. of gas remaining. I'm thinking the sensor is messed up. Anyone else experience this?

rob@robertsystems.com
11th April 2007, 16:30
I must be old. This is the first bike I have owned that had any kind of fuel level indicator. I do it via the odometer. When I fill up, I reset the trip meter. I always know how many miles I have to go . . . Same as my first VW. They had no gauge, just a petcock that you turned to go on reserve. When the motor quit, you reached down on the floor, turned the lever and started looking for a gas station.

idahopilot
17th April 2007, 19:23
Rob,
I also go by the trip meter -- no lies! But the fuel light being on just bugs me. If it's on there I expect it to work correctly (that's just me), so I want it fixed. We spend way too much money for these bikes for features no to work as advertised ( again, just my opinion).