PDA

View Full Version : Nightster 2 up questions

LilHog59
8th March 2007, 03:14
Hello everyone, new to the forum and I have a quick question. Is there a kit to convert the nightster for 2 up riding? The bike has no rear foot pegs or mounts that I can see. The seat is not a problem as there are many 2 up seats that will fit it. Im interested in foot pegs for short trips with a 100 lb. passenger. Can anyone help?

HVR
8th March 2007, 03:17
yes, there is a spot for footpegs. Mine actually had one footpeg (mistake in assembly) on it when i went to pick it up and the dealer took it off. They are not allowed to sell them with footpegs already installed if it has a solo seat.

chrome
8th March 2007, 03:25
click here (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HD-PASSENGER-FOOTPEG-BRACKETS-04-07-SPORTSTER-NR_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ35557QQitemZ16009213 7236QQrdZ1)

Here is some on ebay...pick your pegs. Harley has the kit too, but will cost ya more.

LilHog59
8th March 2007, 03:26
Ok, that makes sense with the solo seat. I have a bike sitting at the dealer ready to be picked up and I couldn't find or see any way to mount passenger pegs. I guess I need to get a better look when I get it home. It snowed today and the temps are really cold so I am waiting a few more days before picking it up. Thanks for the reply, it is appreciated.

07 XL 1200N Silver/Black
Stage 1 with Rush Slip On's.

sprtrjl
8th March 2007, 03:41
I think the Nightster is a very cool looking bike. Having said that why did you decide that was the right bike for you? Alot of the other sportsters have a 2-up seat and rear pegs already and are in the same price range. Was there one or two things in particular that made you choose it?

LilHog59
8th March 2007, 04:28
Well the low seat height for one, and the general black overall color of the bike did it for me. The bike fits me like a glove in height and length and that goes a long way in comfort, safety, and enjoyment. I've been riding for many years but this bike has inspired me like no other. it's hard to explain, you just know it, when you see it!

LakesideTR
8th March 2007, 16:40
I agree...you know it when you see it. You either hate it or you love it. I'm not a big fan of chrome, so the 1200N drew me in like no other bike...not into the flash and bling.

HVR
8th March 2007, 17:28
Same here... I wasn't even looking at Harley's, I just wanted something with a low seat and mid controls, but the minute i sat on the nightster I was hooked.

sprtrjl
9th March 2007, 05:32
OK , thats COOL, If you are ocasionally going to have a passenger I'd go with an inflatable "B' pad. if you are going to ride 2-up most of the time I'd buy a 2-up seat. I understand the Nightster has a nutsert that would allow for a 2-up seat. Your passenger would probably appreciate a back rest of some sort so you may want to look at that . I'm guessing a low back rest. The rear pegs should fit into the swing arm with no problem. I'm sure if you talk to your dealer you can get some ideas. Good Luck!

MikeOK
9th March 2007, 05:41
You bought this bike without knowing these things?

LilHog59
10th March 2007, 01:15
Yes I bought the bike, but have not taken delivery of it yet as the weather has been very cold and wet. I figured I would ask here first to gain some knowledge of the parts needed. The seat is not the problem, it was just the rear pegs that I had questions about. And I appreciate all the help, thanks.

Brad
10th March 2007, 01:17
Set up some pix when you get this done. This will really be one of a kind ~ very cool!

77seph
11th March 2007, 16:58
Take a look along the swingarm, as this is where the rear pegs usually mount, take a look at any of the other sporty's on your dealer's floor to see.

If there isn't a mounting hole, you can buy brackets such as chrome posted that'll clamp to the swingarm.

I'm looking at the nightster myself, and if I go for it, I'll be doing this setup as well.

-Mike

oakies
11th March 2007, 18:01
You can bolt the parts you need easily on the bike. But with the very low suspension, I imagine will be a very rough ride. Not the ideal bike for riding 2-up. I dont get it..if you put a new seat, pegs, and sissybar on a nightster....Your taking away the appeal of the "Bobber look"...JMO. I like the Nightster look....But if I was going to be riding a lot of 2-up...I might consider a different Sporty..

77seph
12th March 2007, 01:48
Personally I'm just riding two up until my girlfriend gets a motorcycle of her own. I want something that'll I'll continue to enjoy for years to come, rather than tailoring my bike to my present situation.

-Mike

LilHog59
12th March 2007, 01:53
It's just minimal on the two up riding. 95% of the time it will be ridden solo. The wife likes to go out occasionally on the back, she only weights 100lbs wet and her rear gets sore after 30 or 40 minutes of riding. So it's mostly a question of do I just just get a pillion pad or go for a seat that flows with the lines of the bike. I'll just crank up the rear shocks when she is on the back. She is easy to please and doesn't complain much, what more could I ask for.

oakies
12th March 2007, 02:57
It's just minimal on the two up riding. 95% of the time it will be ridden solo. The wife likes to go out occasionally on the back, she only weights 100lbs wet and her rear gets sore after 30 or 40 minutes of riding. So it's mostly a question of do I just just get a pillion pad or go for a seat that flows with the lines of the bike. I'll just crank up the rear shocks when she is on the back. She is easy to please and doesn't complain much, what more could I ask for.

In that case, Ide just go with a low profile badlander style seat and pegs.

Easy to please and doesnt complain..We should all have one of those:laugh

Bikerlaw
13th March 2007, 02:07
OK, here's my 2 cents, If your swapping seats and adding a small back seat, I think a nice spring solo with a small fender mounted P pad would really be the cats behind on that new Nightster.

jl13
22nd March 2007, 01:42
I dont think it will be confortable for the passanger but at least will take my wife for a 30 minute drive. as far as the pegs, i think ill just buy the ebay black ones.
Here is what im lookint at,

dynamos2000
22nd March 2007, 01:58
You bought this bike without knowing these things?

He knows how to use the internet, he's good :geek

p.s. I recommend getting the mustang (even though i just bought a corbin). I think you can get the vintage solo and the passenger part... should be comfie for her, take it off when she's not with you

nightsterman
22nd March 2007, 10:33
I'm doing the same thing with my nightster (when I get it) Solo seat 95% of the time, but still would like the option of taking my daughter or wife for a ride once in a while. I picked up some passenger mounts and pegs on ebay for pretty cheap.

Mark

BATMAN24
24th March 2008, 04:07
I am thinking on the same road. My GF has been whining ever since I got the bike for a seat & pegs.I have read on other forums that you can't put 2 up seats and pegs on a Nightster until I found this site I have learned a lot of things. I also have black vance & hines shortshots comming any day now

mikemetzger
24th March 2008, 17:16
I have the badlander seat and passenger pegs. I also added a detachable sissy bar and progressive 440 rear shocks. It actually rides really nice with the wife on it. Not as good as a bagger I'm sure but it works for us. Here is a link for some pics.

http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/showthread.php?t=180305

AV8TR
24th March 2008, 17:19
I have mine set up for occasional two up riding, the dealer installed HD "Aileron" style passenger pegs and I bought a HD Sidekick seat and a padded sissy bar with luggage rack. My wife is good to go with this set up for short rides (less than an hour), which is perfect. I can set it back to my solo set up in less than 5 minutes.

Gone
25th March 2008, 02:40
Same here, although it hasn't been delivered yet. I purchased the sidekick seat because it was leather, detachable sideplates, low cushioned backrest, luggage rack, and footpegs all in black. From the dealer it ran me near $1000.

The last part of the equation is shocks. Not sure if I will go with the 412 progressives or the new shocks from HD made to keep the Low look. I will be riding 95% solo also so these items are perfect for putting on and off in a few secs.

Moved On / My Own Choice
14th April 2008, 22:25
OK, I've got a buddy with a 1200N out in AZ who claims he doesn't have the threaded holes to mount the passenger brackets - I'm thinking he's just looking in the wrong spots.

Can anyone here confirm if you found the plastic cap covered holes on your 07 or 08 1200N???

Kev

th1npower
15th April 2008, 01:37
Can anyone here confirm if you found the plastic cap covered holes on your 07 or 08 1200N???

Kev

my '08 had the lil' plastic covers..

harleyhkd
15th April 2008, 01:47
My 07 has them they just have black plastic covers on them.

Moved On / My Own Choice
15th April 2008, 01:54
my '08 had the lil' plastic covers..

Gracias, I thought he was on dope...

:D

azguy
15th April 2008, 23:21
I had the dealer install the passenger pegs on my nighster before I picked it up and bought the p-pad that adds on to the back of the stock seat. It switches back and forth in about two minutes, three if I have to look for the tools. It was about 100 bucks for the dealer but never had a passenger complain about comfort. Here is the catalog number for the seat 51744-07

cryptorchild5011
18th April 2008, 07:59
i got lucky and went to a swap meet and got a phantom pad for 5$ it only had i little tear on the bottom side and for 120$ new i did pretty good.....only problem is the pad is a little long im having a local upholstery guy take a few inches off of it for me...i also got a set of passenger mounts and pegs for 10$
they were a take off of an 07. i did pretty good 15$ for a passenger set up

nightsterman
19th April 2008, 12:45
i got lucky and went to a swap meet and got a phantom pad for 5$ it only had i little tear on the bottom side and for 120$ new i did pretty good.....only problem is the pad is a little long im having a local upholstery guy take a few inches off of it for me...i also got a set of passenger mounts and pegs for 10$
they were a take off of an 07. i did pretty good 15$ for a passenger set up

Wow, You really know how to stretch those dollars!

Later,
Mark

discobanjo
6th December 2010, 16:03
Message deleted.

flashedwards
6th December 2010, 16:48
Welcome to the Forum from Norcal...I think that you must have overlooked them.
Flash

DeD Fred
6th December 2010, 21:32
Before I ever left the stealer, I changed the seat to a sundowner sportster seat.

Ive changed out all my stock pegs, you should be able to pick them up for someone here cheap. The rear mounts you may have to to buy.