PDA

View Full Version : how to remove melted plastic and a story?

zeebo271
2nd May 2009, 17:32
hello,
It looks like something plastic melted to the top of the cylinder head on my nighster...the chrome part (valve covers maybe?). It almost looks like sticker residue but it isn't sticky....Maybe a plastic bag rested against it when it was hot......What would be best to use to remove this residue? Goo gone? chrome cleaner?
As a side note,
Took out my bike for the first time yesterday and it felt just right! The xl1200n is exactly what i was looking for in a bike. I went riding with a buddy who just got a vulcan 900 custom. Nice bike. We then went to torture a third friend who wants a bike but his wife says no way.... Upon seeing the bikes together all he kept saying was that with the vulcan you get more for your money...(basically because it comes with a fuel gage and larger tank)... Yes, the vulcan is a cushier ride, has a fuel gage and comes ready for 2 up riding, but he just doesn't get it. Even beyond the larger engine i think my bike delivers much more for the money...... just sharing a story with those who might appreciate it!!!
Thanks for the help,
greg

zeebo271
2nd May 2009, 22:05
Hello,
I just picked up a nightster yesterday. It looks like a plastic bag melted to the chrome valve cover . What would be the best way to remove the residue?
Thanks for the advice,
Greg

sololow1200n
2nd May 2009, 22:17
Hello,
I just picked up a nightster yesterday. It looks like a plastic bag melted to the chrome valve cover . What would be the best way to remove the residue?
Thanks for the advice,
Greg

personally i would let it cool down and use WD-40.

Rico 05R
2nd May 2009, 22:53
Easy Off oven cleaner

V-XL
2nd May 2009, 23:53
have the dealer remove it since u just got it. sounds like a protective cover for shipping or something

Folkie
2nd May 2009, 23:58
Don't know if he got it from a dealer; it's an '07.

V-XL
3rd May 2009, 00:21
not only did i not look at the year, i somehow didnt see the first post, just the second:doh

Folkie
3rd May 2009, 00:33
We then went to torture a third friend who wants a bike but his wife says no way.... Upon seeing the bikes together all he kept saying was that with the vulcan you get more for your money...(basically because it comes with a fuel gage and larger tank)...
He wants a bike but his wife won't let him?

Hmmm

Knows a lot about bikes, does he? :laugh

nzsailor
3rd May 2009, 02:48
He wants a bike but his wife won't let him?

Hmmm …

Knows a lot about bikes, does he? :laugh

knows a lot about women does he

crustyxpunk
3rd May 2009, 20:38
I just like harley's over jap cruisers because jap cruisers always seem to have a bunch of plastic parts. Like my honda shadow I had for a little while, it had plastic fenders, a/c cover, cheap feeling clutch and brake levers, etc. Then again I also bought it brand new for $4k and my sporty was $8k. The extra 4k is worth it to me though because the sporty feels a lot more solid and uses actual metals parts. I mean which bike is going to fair better when I lay it down...my money is on my sportster.

Folkie
3rd May 2009, 22:47
I just like harley's over jap cruisers because jap cruisers always seem to have a bunch of plastic parts. Like my honda shadow I had for a little while, it had plastic fenders, a/c cover, cheap feeling clutch and brake levers, etc. Then again I also bought it brand new for $4k and my sporty was $8k. The extra 4k is worth it to me though because the sporty feels a lot more solid and uses actual metals parts. I mean which bike is going to fair better when I lay it down...my money is on my sportster.
Weird; in the UK the 750 Shadow and the 883 cost about the same.

crustyxpunk
3rd May 2009, 23:36
Weird; in the UK the 750 Shadow and the 883 cost about the same.

That is weird, I did get mine on sale but I know they don't normally run as much as a sporty does here in Texas.

All the more reason for you guys in the UK to want sporties :laugh

dumbrog
5th May 2009, 00:19
My Dad bought a Vulcan 900 custom last year. He'd been looking at a Victory Vegas for awhile but couldn't stomach paying 2x as much for the Vulcan. It's a nice bike...comfortable. Pretty. Feels a little long. It does feel like it should have more grunt. Can't wait for him to come up and ride my sporty around. Calls it my Hardly Davidson.