PDA

View Full Version : Cam Cover Powder Coat

mjwash
23rd March 2007, 04:39
I've pulled and cut my cam cover and now it needs some color (well black anyways). I also removed the oil seal but really don't want to pull the bushings out. Will it cycle through a 350-400F cure with bushings installed and no warpage or damage? What do ya think?
Thanks

oldmetal
25th April 2007, 01:27
I'm trying to find out the same thing. I read somewhere on a powder coating forum that you most remove anything that can't take the 400 F degree heat and also any bearing races as the heat causes the races to loose their interference fit. This might also apply to bushings.

oldmetal
26th April 2007, 07:01
Well, I did speak with a mechanic who is going to do a valve job for me and he agreed that it would be risky; that the bushings would probably fall out or come loose. I'm looking into low temp cure powdercoat solutions.

Johnny Wolf
26th April 2007, 07:53
Well, I did speak with a mechanic who is going to do a valve job for me and he agreed that it would be risky; that the bushings would probably fall out or come loose. I'm looking into low temp cure powdercoat solutions.

When I powdercoated my triple clamps, I left the stem and the lower bearing intact with the bottom clamp. When I tried to put the upper bearing back on during reassembly it would not go. I had to take some emery paper to the top of the stem until the bearing slipped back down over it. So needless to say the heat did affect the metal, It expanded but did not come back to original size. I won't take a chance like that again.