PDA

View Full Version : '03 Progressive fork springs on '04?

hero
1st April 2005, 16:50
Bought a set of front springs through the '05 Custom Chrome catalogue yesterday & got handed a set of '03 & earlier springs. Are they compatible? CCI catalogue STILL don't differentiate between '04 & '03... I have a feeling they won't fit. :frownthre

Scarecrow2311
1st April 2005, 17:36
Hmm not sure if they will fit but the Part numbers ARE Different

Progressive Fork spring for Sportster
- '99-'03 : #11-1523
- '04-'05 : #11-1527

May want to call Progressive & see if they can fit ( maybe just be spacer that is different ) before you try to exchange them. btw I just put mine in last weekend & wow what a difference!! well worth the hassle IMO.

radar
1st April 2005, 17:40
Read here

http://xlforum.net/oldxlforum/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=5092&sid=1ede15655388f85a695cdd4da002c4ec

If the part# you have matches any at the bottom notes, you're OK

hero
1st April 2005, 18:12
Thanks for that Walt-according to Turbota's post, it looks like I'm in luck! Probably just the spacers that are different which you cut in anyway.

Cheers

AeroSport
2nd April 2005, 05:53
Hero,

I had the same problem when I was looking for springs for my 05 883 XL called progressive and they said the only difference was the length of the spacers in the two kits the springs are the same. I bought the earlier p/n cause no one had the later one available at the time and got some shed 40 PVC pipe and made my own spacers the length I wanted. Works great what a difference in the front end.

hero
2nd April 2005, 16:25
Fitted the springs today (made my own spacers in the end) & MAN, what a difference! Went for a short ride & put on 50 miles on these rutted & pothole-ridden streets without even flinching. (Usually my patience started wearing thin after around 30 mins or so in town traffic) I could honestly have carried on riding the whole day but had to come home for a bite to eat :p But what most people mention after doing this certainly rings true- the rear shocks feel bad compared to the front now...needs to have some more cash thrown at it! Thanks again for all the help, Walt & Stan.

radar
2nd April 2005, 16:33
Glad to hear that, get some Progressives on the rear and you'll be getting the best out of your ride.
Thank Turbota for the info, I just knew where it is.

AeroSport
2nd April 2005, 18:20
Glad it worked out for you. What length did you decide to make the spacers? I think that progressive said the ones included with the 1527 kit were 3" and the ones that came with the 1523 kit were 2". I cut mine to 2 1/2 as I wanted to lower the front just a bit as I put 1" shorter progressive 418's on the back( Ebay deal) to level things out some. It's really great to hit bumps and put on the front brake and not have the forks dive isn't it. Good riding.

hero
2nd April 2005, 20:47
Yeah the ride's great now! What's also cool is how the front doesn't buck up under sudden acceleration either... overall front-end is very stable. I made the spacers 3", but will play around with the length now that I know how easy it is, just to see if I can 'fine tune' it even better..
Cheers!