PDA

View Full Version : Peer pressure

RoccoI
27th March 2007, 20:38
My brother-in-law who rides a street bob is pressuring me to get a BT.
I find the sportster 1200 fits my needs perfectly. It's fast and fits my budget.
I mostly use it to commute with the odd tour.
I currently ride a Kawasaki mean streak and I find that too big.
I was looking at the Super Glide, doesn't seem much bigger than the 1200c but it's 3 grand more.
What to do, I hope they let me take a test ride on both.

doc
27th March 2007, 20:42
Test rides are a must. You may decide that you don't like either one.

myrl883
27th March 2007, 20:42
You need to ride both to make the decision. You'll find that most of us just love the Sportsters. They're soo much less expensive, simpler design, and better performance. You say that the 1200 fits you now...why change?

Remember - sometimes less really is more!

asphalt addict
27th March 2007, 20:52
I find the sportster 1200 fits my needs perfectly. It's fast and fits my budget.

Buy for those reasons, not because of peer pressure.

xena
27th March 2007, 20:55
You say that the 1200 fits you now...why change?

He said he currently rides a Kawa Mean Streak.

I agree with the test ride suggestions. Chances
are there will be small changes you wish to make
no matter which bike you choose. I don't think
you can go wrong with a sporty or a super glide.
Much luck with whatever you choose, and more
importantly, don't let someone else pressure you.
Buy what you want.

Crusin_w00kie
27th March 2007, 21:21
and more
importantly, don't let someone else pressure you.
Buy what you want.

If that was the case I'd be on a new Fatboy and about 20K in debt. Glad I listened to my gut (and it's a big one too) and went with the Sporty.

Paulie420
27th March 2007, 21:23
Yea... I won't go overboard with sporty jargon.

Just buy what you like. Best to leave the friend at home if he is ONLY going to give advice to get the bigger bike.

I love the street bob... and the super glide. Both nice Dyna's. But I would only get one if I had MY sporty in the garage. :D

We all like sportsters. Go find out what YOU like.

Then hurry up and get back here with your new Sportster. :D

hikerbiker
27th March 2007, 21:24
Go with your heart and wallet .....
Don't listen to someone that's not making the payments.

Gary7
27th March 2007, 21:35
I solicited advice on here and a couple other forums last fall when I was in the market for a Sportster. The overwhelming advice was to get the 1200. Yet I knew the 883 would have all the power I would need, plus save me several thousand $$. I got the 883 and I've never regretted it.

Bottom line: try 'em, ride 'em and make up your own mind.

RoccoI
27th March 2007, 21:36
Thanks people, great advice and I will go with my wallet and heart. My wife will make sure of that.

DEANER
27th March 2007, 21:41
Don't listen to other people who force their will on you.
Be your own person and get what YOU want.
Piss on what others think!

RoccoI
27th March 2007, 21:42
My wife likes it in red.

Shark Doctor
27th March 2007, 21:44
Good choice.

Bottom line (and no disrespect meant to your well-meaning friends): who is going to ride what you purchase: them or you?

Choice is yours.

Samickguy15
27th March 2007, 23:06
Good choice.

Bottom line (and no disrespect meant to your well-meaning friends): who is going to ride what you purchase: them or you?

Choice is yours.

I agree...Tell them that if they would like to the additional cash to afford the larger bike then you will be more than happy to get it...And when they fork over the cash, get the Sporty and a whole bunch of goodies with their cash:p

RoccoI
28th March 2007, 15:25
LOL, yeah I don't see him giving me any extra cash.
That's what I was thinking, with the 3+ grand I will save on a sporty, I can get lots of bling for it.

sprtrjl
28th March 2007, 15:36
Is your wife going to ride with you? Make sure she is going to be comfortable on the back of a Sporty. Have her sit/ride on both with you. The Dyna or a Softail will give her more room and a more comfortable seat. My wife said she would never be on my Sportster again after a ride on the Heritage.

RoccoI
28th March 2007, 16:26
She doesn't ride that often with me, and if she does, it's not more than 100 miles. I usually ride solo.

Gone
28th March 2007, 18:02
Buy what is going to make YOU happy . It's not your peers or your friends that are going to be riding it

pquirk
28th March 2007, 18:18
Good choice.

Choice is yours.
I agree with SD, but he's far more diplomatic than me, I'll be happy to disrespect your well-meaning friends :laugh . Buy what suits you :).

Prebs
28th March 2007, 18:29
Peer pressure???? wtf is it High school?? IF you LIKE the sportster go with a sportster. don't let anyones comments or thoughts make the decision for you. Its coming out of your wallet not your friends.

Gone
28th March 2007, 18:57
Stick with what you like, if your 1200 is having some RPM problems at road speeds drop down to a 55 tooth pully and cruise at 70 churning 2750.

By The By .... what's Beer Pressure?

Rascal
28th March 2007, 19:10
I wear New Balance instead of Nike shoes because I can afford them and they fit better. I do the same with everything, bikes included. Do what's "right" for you and the hell with what anyone else thinks. Just my 3 cents...

hog rider
29th March 2007, 03:21
get the sporty.come on and try it i dare u just try it.it's not addictive trust me.just try it once.come on man and just do it get the sporty. no presure here:p

RoccoI
29th March 2007, 14:41
LOL, I don't even own one yet and I'm already addicted.
Just waiting for the weather to warm up here, then I'll be asking the dealership for a test ride.

hog rider
30th March 2007, 00:01
always wanted a wide glide but never rode one or any harley at all.bought a 75 ironhead 4 years ago first harley and found this web site.went to the dealers two years later and got a 1200c.wife was looking at all the big twins and would say look at this one but for some reason would just keep looking at the sportys and still look to this day and walk right past the bt they just seem to big for me 6foot and 170 pounds sporty fits just fine. sorry just rambling:doh

74cixl
30th March 2007, 13:05
Buy what you like, never listen when others tell you that you will want or need to trade to a BT I did and went back to the Sportster.