PDA

View Full Version : Mini Tach Install - Need Help

cdelima
29th March 2007, 19:28
I just picked up my new 2007 1200c :smoke and I'm already tearing it apart!

This weekend I plan to install the HD mini tack, which sits above the speedometer. The parts consist of:

- Black Face 2-5/8" Mini Tach Kit (HD P/N: 68953-04)
- Mini Tach Mounting Bracket (HD P/N: 69426-04)
- Mini Tach Tapered Gauge Housing (HD P/N: 67524-04)

Everything in the instructions/service manual seems pretty strait forward with the exception of connecting the tach to the power source (i.e. the open 2A fuze position on the fuze panel/block). To use this open fuze, I need to access the backside of the fuze block which is attached to main harness H-bracket.

Where the instructions are vague is with respect to "Loosen the H-Bracket per the instructions in the service manual, and pull it away from the frame to gain access to the back side of the fuze block". Unfortunately, the only time the H-Bracket is mentioned in the service manual is during the removal of the main wiring harness. :yikes From what I can tell, that looks like a nightmare which starts with the removal of the battery, the battery tray, several hundred connectors, etc.

Has anyone attempted this and have any tips and/or shortcuts they could share.

Thanks!

Pictures to Follow!

jgaither
29th March 2007, 19:41
Just look at the wiring diagram in back of the service manual and tap into the Instrumentation power source. You can just tap the power off the speedo.

cdelima
29th March 2007, 22:55
Justin,

Thanks... That sounds a lot easier than tiring to tie into the fuze block.

Do you know if the extra current draw of the tach might be an issue? I'm guessing that it won't since the spare fuze slot for the tach only uses a two amp fuze.

Thanks again,
Chris

Folkie
29th March 2007, 23:02
Maybe this will help?

dagsportster
13th May 2007, 14:19
Pictures to Follow!

So...any pics of the final install and where you finally tapped into power?

Old_Goat57
13th May 2007, 20:06
I did mine a couple of months ago and everything was a success. I stopped by the local dealer to ask their electrician if he had any suggestions, since I wasn't gonna spend the $250-$300 in labor to have them do it.

He was nice enough to copy me the wiring schematic pages from the service manual and advised me to solder all connections and do NOT use the crimp-on splices for 2 reasons: (1) the crimp connector is a small blade that actually can cut your wire a little bit as it makes the connections, and (2) the vibration of the motor will eventually cause these connections to break.

In my case, I purchased pretty much the same parts, but in chrome except that the cracket was listed in the HD catalog as a thermometer or clock bracket, but it worked perfectly for the tach.

I also found some braided stainless cable wraps meant for dressing up a computer and threaded the wiring into them then covered all that with clear heat shrink tubing for all wiring that would be exposed coming out of the tach "cup" to the connection points - that was just for cosmetic purposes, not functional.

Also, I did not remove my tank for this - I removed the mounting bolts at front and rear and slipped some wood dowells under the tank to raise it up a couple of inches, then threaded the wiring where it would not be crinped or crushed by the tank, zip-tied it in place and secured the tank again.

I didn't need to remove the battery either, since I was connecting the "hot" and "data" connections under the seat to the same wiring bundle I would have access to if I removed the battery.

Take your time, and you will do fine.

I can't believe HD does not include tachometers with every bike. I use mine more than the speedo

I ran all 3 wires from the tach all the way under my tank and made connections under the seat and at the engine ground.

cdelima
15th May 2007, 04:07
Since I don't have fifteen posts yet :frownthre ... I was hoping one of you guys could help me out and post the three pictures from my gallery. :banana

After all was said and done... the tach install was not that bad. Actually the hardest part was getting over the mental block I had with regards to tearing apart my new ride :yikes !

Everyone had some great advice with regards to power for the tach. However, being stubborn, I had to get it from the back of the spare fuze location, per the Harley instructions. What this entailed:

- Removing the Fuel Tank
- Removing the battery
- Cutting a black wire tie that holds the bottom of the fuze block/H Bracket to the bike frame.
- Pulling the fuze block/H-bracket out as far as the wires would let me which allowed me to just get my fingers behind it and guide the power wire into the spare fuze slot. Once it went in, the wire just snapped into place.

Long story short, new tach looks cool and works like a charm!

A Couple of tips:

- Could not have done this without the manual.
- Sears bike lift ($60.00 on sale) made the job a whole lot easier.
- No special tool was needed (per the Harley Instruction) to get the signal wire into the speedometer connector. I just pulled a thingamabob out of the side of the connector which allowed the wires to just slip in and out.

If the pictures don't come out... Check my gallery.

cdelima
15th May 2007, 04:19
P.S. My gallery is at:

xlforum.net/photopost/showgallery.php/cat/500/ppuser/14733

Just add the Http stuff to the front end :clap

Motorpsykler
15th May 2007, 04:33
Here you go,
http://xlforum.net/photopost/data/655/IMG_15.jpg
http://xlforum.net/photopost/data/655/IMG_31.jpg
http://xlforum.net/photopost/data/655/IMG_23.jpg

The guy with the 883C
15th May 2007, 04:44
I have the same deal on mine.
I love having a tach.

But I truly do hate the inelegant solution that the MoCo came up with for the newer Customs.
Especially having to run the wires up and over the outside of the riser.

Folkie
15th May 2007, 07:55
I'm about to fit the H-D Mini Tach kit. I'm going to be using this bracket instead of the H-D one:

http://i13.ebayimg.com/01/i/07/f2/85/d5_1.JPGhttp://i18.ebayimg.com/01/i/000/8d/0b/344d_1.JPG (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/883-1200-SPORTSTER-CUSTOM-MINI-TACH-MOUNT-ALUMINUM_W0QQitemZ250113080898QQihZ015QQcategoryZ5 0461QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)

The bracket is at the plating company being chromed. I should get it back this week, and then I'm planning on fitting it next week.

cdelima
15th May 2007, 12:24
Hey Motorpsykler...

Thanks!!!:D

jgaither
15th May 2007, 22:59
Justin,

Do you know if the extra current draw of the tach might be an issue? I'm guessing that it won't since the spare fuze slot for the tach only uses a two amp fuze.

Thanks again,
Chris

I dont know how much the HD tach draws, but my microTach never draws more than 1A and that is only if your showing 88 which is impossible.

Justin

Folkie
18th May 2007, 01:30
Justin,

Thanks again,
Chris
I dont know how much the HD tach draws, but my microTach never draws more than 1A and that is only if your showing 88 which is impossible.

Justin
The H-D tach draws up to 280 milliamps, well, the one for '04-'06 does, anyway.

Denzone
18th May 2007, 02:32
I like that bracket... looks more sleek than the MOCO bracket...