PDA

View Full Version : Front Wheel Rubbing on Fender ...

IronMick
2nd April 2005, 16:34
Just put new tires on the Iron. Front wheel, spoked, is rubbing on the fender strut on the right side. There is about 1/4" of space between the wheel and the fork on the right side [zero between the tire and the fender strut], about 1/2" on the left.

I think that the wheel has been off center since i bought the bike in Sept but i just did not notice. I cannot be completely certain. Too many other things getting my attention. It did not rub when i rode it from Sept to Dec. I had the wheel off the bike for a considerable time over the winter; had the bearings replaced. When i put it back on with the old tire it rubbed a little, unevenly, like for about 1/4 of a turn it rubbed. Now with the new tire it rubs for the whole circle.

Two possibilities come to mind - spacers and spokes. I am going more with spokes needing adjustment. Could the process of replacing the tire made it worse? Could i have messed up the installation? What do you think?

SportsterBart
2nd April 2005, 17:03
When i put it back on with the old tire it rubbed a little, unevenly, like for about 1/4 of a turn it rubbed. Now with the new tire it rubs for the whole circle.

Two possibilities come to mind - spacers and spokes. I am going more with spokes needing adjustment. Could the process of replacing the tire made it worse? Could i have messed up the installation? What do you think?

First of all the wheel needs to be trued.

Assuming the spacers are in the correct position, is the new tire a different size?

Edit: Is the bead seated evenly as well?

Bart

IronMick
2nd April 2005, 23:28
The new tire is the same size as the old [100/90-19]. I did not measure the tires but i think it is a larger tire, based on comments of a friend. I'll check the bead. I have arranged to have the wheel trued early next week. I think that the spacers do not come out unless you remove the rotors. In any case i have not changed them.

On checking i see a little dammage to the rim. Some of these !@#$%^ technicians ..., and they'd just deny it i suppose.

BobbyB
3rd April 2005, 03:15
Mick, I'd check all the things already listed. The bead not being properly seated can easily cause this. Also, on my '79 I can't run most 100/90 tires so I run 90/90. The 100/90's usually rub the fender struts.
Bobby

flathead45
3rd April 2005, 04:46
also you can have the fender on crooked , loosen all the mounting bolts (just loose, not sloppy loose) then twist and push and pry on the fender till it misses the wheel

it don't take much to line up your fender , but if ya just slap it on it can be outta wack

I pulled my front fender off my first bike , just the fender , and when I put it back on it rubbed . with a little tweeking it fit right

IronMick
3rd April 2005, 04:59
The fender is definitely crooked - in the wrong direction to fix the problem. I think the PO already bent it to avoid fixing the real problem. Gotta go check that bead.

However, the real problem appears to be the difference in the space between the wheel [not the tire] and the fork: 1/4" on one side, 1/2" on the other. If the spoke guy can move it by 1/8" it will be centered.

FORCE50
3rd April 2005, 13:36
Sounds like you've got the situation under control. Meet you for breakfast?

Steve & Joan