PDA

View Full Version : Pics of my nightser

kenfm2000
31st March 2007, 18:58
Here is a link to some pics I took today. It shows the smoked lenses, the led rear lights, the 12" 318 progressive shocks, the adjustable highway pegs and the wet dreamz pipes. I think the highway and mid pegs will be replaced when the black forward controls are released.

http://picasaweb.google.com/kenfm2000/Nightster

Crusin_w00kie
31st March 2007, 19:01
Are the front and rear signals, LEDs??? Looks sharp!!

kenfm2000
31st March 2007, 19:08
Just the rear are leds. I tried to get regular 1157 red bulbs couldn't find them. I will probably get some amber led's for the front so they match better. The ones I have are made by jamstrait.com

Hot Rod Sporty
31st March 2007, 20:31
Looks good! I like those pipes on the nightster.

LilHog59
31st March 2007, 20:34
Those pipes compliment the bike in everyway. Do they have baffles in them and how do they sound? More important is how does it run with those on? Can you feel if there is any power increase? Your bike looks very nice, I like your mods!

MikeOK
1st April 2007, 03:37
Ken, the bike looks great. How is the ride with the new shocks?

vmaxx4
1st April 2007, 03:48
12 inch shocks don't seem to raise it too much. The pipes look great.

Oly_Nightster
1st April 2007, 05:28
I'm really interested in those pipes, more info please!

kenfm2000
1st April 2007, 08:27
The pipes are "wet dreamz" from pipedreamz.biz They are ceramic coated. They do have a short 4" baffle. Ben from pipedreamz said they quiet them down about 20% I have not taken them out to see if they are any louder because they seem to be plenty loud for me right now. I really like the sound and volume except when I drive by the neighbors window in the mornings. I will try and post a video clip with the sound tomorrow.

The new 418 12" shocks are working out nicely. I have it set on 2 for damping and the second notch for preload. I have not bottomed or topped yet with these settings. Although they are not Cadillac soft they have a much nicer ride. I don't think I have found the perfect preload and damping combo yet but I still need to do the fork springs and a more comfortable seat replacement is in the future.

I wanted to try the brawler seat as I heard it is more comfortable and pushes you back a little more. The dealer did not have one in stock today but they said they would order one so I could try it on the bike.

Detsuh
1st April 2007, 09:02
Great looking bike. The nightster is already pretty sweet looking to start off with, looks like you made some great improvements to it.

ennbee7
1st April 2007, 09:21
Love the bike and the mods you have made. i want one too!!:tour

Notabiker
1st April 2007, 14:38
Love what you are doing with your Nighster. The pipes are awesome, I think I will either go black coat or black wrap. I did the smoked lenses in front but the dealer told me that the rear can't be done due to the laws in the state (NJ)and passing inspection. I have to check into it here on the thread, I know there is something about it in the NJ thread.

My seat is awful too. I have $250 left on my gift certificate for a purchase at the dealer. I don't know whether to get the pipes or shocks or seat. I love this bike, but the weather in NJ is not cooperating with me this weekend for riding. It is raining right now:(

DustyJacket
1st April 2007, 15:02
I like it, but why did you remove the rear reflector?

I commute to work, many times in the dark, and I want every reflector and light I can have to keep me alive.

kenfm2000
1st April 2007, 15:33
Dustyjacket,
The reflector mysteriously fell off just before I left the dealer... Maybe it somehow fell into my pocket. I still have the two reflectors on the license plate and I am ordering a reflective decal for the back of my helmet.

Screw Loose Dan
1st April 2007, 15:59
I personally would be less concerned about the reflectors for the night riding as I would be about the two tiny LED rear lights during the day. Don't get me wrong I think they look great. The LED's will be fine at night but I suspect they will get washed out during the day. I really like it when the cars behind me know that I'll be stopping. Just my thoughts...

I do like that exhaust on this bike. It looks really badazz.

Keep us posted.

Gone
1st April 2007, 16:44
Hey Ken! Somebody needs to call the MOCO right now! My reflector fell off at the dealership, too. And the fork reflectors fell off in my garage. Enough of this madness.....!

I love those pipes and I am dangerously close to ordering some. I'm glad you bought 'em first so you can let us know about sound and tuneability.

HOT SPARKS
1st April 2007, 17:17
:tour Great mods pipes look lots better than stock.:tour

Oly_Nightster
1st April 2007, 17:23
Did you have to retune for the pipes?

omahariveland
1st April 2007, 18:37
Good lookin scoot, the pipes are perfect for it.

Gone
1st April 2007, 18:45
Hey 2000,

Sorry I missed your pm's. I've been away from the computer for a while, and when I'm on it, I kinda forget to check messages. Anyway, I sent a couple of pm's back your direction.

kenfm2000
1st April 2007, 18:50
I did buy a race tuner and a screaming eagle air cleaner and had them tune it at the shop. I did post a thread before that had the dyno results. Here is a link to that http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/showthread.php?t=49907
I wasn't sure it would need to be tuned, but I noticed the pipes were running extremely hot. After tuning it they seemed to cool down at least to a level where I didn't need to buy the heat shields.

For those with mid pegs still I also changed out the pegs to the rubber pegs, it is a little easier on the shins when moving the bike around.

Drcstang,
I hear ya on the daytime brightness of the led's I did have a friend ride behind me yesterday and he said they were plenty bright but it was overcast all day. I think in the bright sunlight I might need something different. Because the leds are directional I was thinking about getting these
http://autolumination.com/matrix.htm
They should reflect off the reflector cone in the blinker assembly and not be so directional.

sportynightster
2nd April 2007, 01:30
The bike looks really good, and the pipes even better. So how do you like the highway pegs? I am about to buy a set. Do you think the 12" shocks raise the bike ALOT more than stock?

Gone
2nd April 2007, 01:35
Sweet pipes on that bike!:clap

kenfm2000
2nd April 2007, 06:57
The bike looks really good, and the pipes even better. So how do you like the highway pegs? I am about to buy a set. Do you think the 12" shocks raise the bike ALOT more than stock?

I like the highway pegs but I am now thinking about selling them and buying the forward controls. My previous bike had forward controls and I just keep hitting the pegs with my legs when coming to a stop. I will make you a deal on my highway pegs. PM me if interested.

The seat height while I am on the bike really doesn't feel lower to me but I already had no issues flatfooting it with quite a bend at the knees. So I don't think it was alot but it is a little higher.

el jinete fantasma
2nd April 2007, 21:03
Wow... those pipe look amazing!

kenfm2000
9th April 2007, 04:49
I personally would be less concerned about the reflectors for the night riding as I would be about the two tiny LED rear lights during the day. Don't get me wrong I think they look great. The LED's will be fine at night but I suspect they will get washed out during the day. I really like it when the cars behind me know that I'll be stopping. Just my thoughts...

I do like that exhaust on this bike. It looks really badazz.

Keep us posted.

I Changed out the leds with standard clear bulbs which I painted with transparent candy apple red spray paint. The paint seems to be holding up fine so far. They are much brighter during the daylight hours. The leds are still very bright at night but overall I think I will stick with the standard bulbs painted red.

Rob Henderson
9th April 2007, 05:09
Excellent bike!

My pipes are similar....Black Ceramic Coated Bassani Sweepers. They have baffles but they are loud as hell and sound sweet.....I really like them.

http://xlforum.net/photopost/data/500/medium/Side11.jpg

emag
18th April 2007, 21:44
Awesome bike. What else did you have to do when you installed your pipes, ie. re-jet? etc. thanks in advance.

Serious
18th April 2007, 23:17
Nice bike. I'll be going with the black springs as well and I am definitely waiting on black forward controls. The plan is to remove as much chrome as possible, and leave just enough to make it pop.

kenfm2000
20th April 2007, 01:24
Awesome bike. What else did you have to do when you installed your pipes, ie. re-jet? etc. thanks in advance.

emag, no rejetting with EFI. I also had the Air Cleaner replaced with the screaming eagle model. Also purchased the SERT and had them retune it and Dyno it.

pipes with black ceramic coating, SE A/C, SERT, Dyno and labor totaled about $1400

AV8TR
21st April 2007, 03:38
That bike is looking good, like the pipes. I told my wife we could beef up the shocks if she was uncomfortable back there, but she said it's fine!
I am thinking about removing the rear reflector also--did it pop off easily?

You can see my bike underneath my "Hello from Nashville" post.

AV8TR

Nightster1
21st April 2007, 04:26
Ken did you remap to run those pipes, or did you not have too remap??

Nightster1
21st April 2007, 04:27
That bike is looking good, like the pipes. I told my wife we could beef up the shocks if she was uncomfortable back there, but she said it's fine!
I am thinking about removing the rear reflector also--did it pop off easily?

You can see my bike underneath my "Hello from Nashville" post.

AV8TR

It's just stuck on with double sided tape, it peels right off.

kenfm2000
21st April 2007, 05:01
Ken did you remap to run those pipes, or did you not have too remap??

I bought the Screaming Eagle Race Tuner. The guys in the shop used it to tune it on the dyno. I am not exactly sure what kind of changes they made. I hadn't changed the air cleaner when I first put the pipes on and at that point the pipes were a little louder and the pipes seemed to be hotter. The other thing with these pipes if you keep the stock filter you will need to trim the air cleaner backing plate. It was pretty easy with a dremel tool.