PDA

View Full Version : Ironhead Fire Bike Done. Yikes Not Happy

XLFREAK
26th May 2009, 06:28
Well I finished the bike but man I dont like it. Runs awsome starts in 2 kicks everytime. but I dont like the brake and shifter beeing on the oposite side of eachother. I have been riding bikes since I was 7 and have never been down. Well I almost went down just missed a fence because I was pressing the shifter as the brake. I dont know I might put it up for trade for one with the stuff on its normal sides.

FourCams
26th May 2009, 06:32
The stuff IS on the normal side.

It doesn't take long to get used to man.. give it some time.

XLFREAK
26th May 2009, 06:41
The stuff IS on the normal side.

It doesn't take long to get used to man.. give it some time.

Ya but every bike I ever owned (and I have owned seriously without exageration 40-50 bikes in my life) have always had shifter on left brake on right. This has Shifter on right brake on left and man it is confuesing.

jharback
26th May 2009, 08:35
This thread is useless without pic's!

Hopper
26th May 2009, 12:20
You could always put the 1975 model cross-over gearchange shaft and right-foot brake pedal on it. You see them on eBay quite often.

fdny37
26th May 2009, 13:27
For us older guys right side shift is normal.

superwarden
26th May 2009, 13:44
Ya but every bike I ever owned (and I have owned seriously without exageration 40-50 bikes in my life) have always had shifter on left brake on right. This has Shifter on right brake on left and man it is confuesing.

Same here and it only took me a few trips around the block to learn it. You put so much into it, don't let this stop you..

XLFREAK
26th May 2009, 15:00
This thread is useless without pic's!

http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/showthread.php?t=507881

SpringerSam
26th May 2009, 15:22
Talk about confusion, I have two bikes and one has a left side shift and the other a right side shift. I ride both bikes almost daily and I have to concentrate evey time I ride.

Sam

Shadowdog500
26th May 2009, 15:27
If you just can't get used to it you could try putting a 75/76 arrangment on it, or just sell it and get a 77 or later. I have ridden a right shift bike a couple of times and you do have to think, especially when moving back and forth between the two bikes.

My question is, whitch pedal are you going to hit during a panic stop when there isn't any time to think?

Chris

tat2d2dope
26th May 2009, 15:57
man you have came way to far with that bike, to just go out over the shifter on the right.
Just go out on a good long country ride, and you'll get used to it.
but why just give up ?

XLFREAK
26th May 2009, 17:52
man you have came way to far with that bike, to just go out over the shifter on the right.
Just go out on a good long country ride, and you'll get used to it.
but why just give up ?

I know I dont want to get rid of it but I am afraid that if I have to react quick I am going to hit the wrong side and wamo...I will ride it a few times and see if I can get the hang of it though.

vampyre
26th May 2009, 18:39
put forward controls on it and you can switch sides easy . i like my shifter on the right . but a buddy of mine likes his on the left so he got some cable operated forward controls and switched his to the left lol he loves it now !

flathead45
26th May 2009, 19:19
you'll get used to it in no time.

I go from hand shifting my flatty to right side shifting my sporty to left sideing jap bikes. without a miss. thank god I don't have an indian with a left hand throttle :smoke

Vzguy
26th May 2009, 19:36
When you want to stop just pull both levers and push down on both foot levers... This way you have everything covered.. :)

flathead45
26th May 2009, 19:44
When you want to stop just pull both levers and push down on both foot levers... This way you have everything covered.. :)
never thought about it but .... ya, thats how I do it on every change of bikes till my feet get used to it. and that only takes a few stops.

t.c. Johnson
26th May 2009, 20:44
Try tying a little red rag on the handlebar side with the brake.
It reminds you which side has the brake without really thinking about it.

Jason's Sporty
26th May 2009, 21:19
Alot of the older British bikes are also setup with the right-side shifter. It takes getting used to but its what makes the bike unique and keeps ppl from wanting to borrow it!

IronMick
26th May 2009, 22:37

This is what we were taught in the beginner motorcycle course years ago.

golden236
27th May 2009, 01:57
I have three bikes in the garage two are left sides and one is right side shift, Just my two cents but the right side shift is part of what makes those models unique. I love when people look at my old iron's shifter and scratch there head.
http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j283/margolden/smallimage.jpg

XLFREAK
28th May 2009, 06:38

Thats a good idea..I took it for anouther small ride today. I decided I am going to pit it on the road and at least try to get used to it. I did put a lot of time and sweat into it to just let it go..

MDT
28th May 2009, 13:25
Remember, right shifters keep you in your right mind.
My Norton was a right shifter but you kicked them down.
My Sporty is a right shifter but you kick them up.
My Superglide is a left shifter and you kick them down.
Now they all are left shifters that you kick up. Hmmmmm
Just take it easy 'till you get used to it.
Heck you ought to ride with me in a rental car.