PDA

View Full Version : what year 883 is a good year for conversion??

happyman
3rd April 2005, 14:44
thinking about getting a evo sportster 883 of some year but not sure which year to get. is the four speed transmission good for the conversion? to say an 84 or 88" motor, and will the little belts on the later models take the hp and tq the motors put out . i won't be dragracing but i will jump on it pretty hard on the street. also which year is a relly good year to mess with that is most cost effective to do all the motor work on as a whole. and then what needs to be done to the suspension to make it better.

Thanks Happy

willprevale
3rd April 2005, 14:50
Any of the Evos will take to the 1200 conversion. Your decision will determine whether it's a 4 or 5 speed. All things being equal, I'd go with the 5 speed. Suspension wise, Progressives back and front are the std way to go. Belt drives are OK unless jumping on it is a way of life, in which case you might want to consider a chain conversion.

happyman
3rd April 2005, 15:36
[QUOTE=willprevale]Any of the Evos will take to the 1200 conversion. Your decision will determine whether it's a 4 or 5 speed. All things being equal, I'd go with the 5 speed. Suspension wise, Progressives back and front are the std way to go. Belt drives are OK unless jumping on it is a way of life, in which case you might want to consider a chain conversion.[/QU

Thanks for the info, going to get serious bout looking for a decent 91, 883. not sure bout all teh differant problems with differant year bikes. just hope i get enough information to make a wise decision. its going to be at least a 82" and more than likely more. going to make it right the first time so its going to be costly i'm sure.ya i will get on it prett hard and shift hard too but i don't abuse things just rev them up and shift at high rpm's so i don't need broken belts or transmissions or what ever is why i ask the questions i ask. the more information i get the better for my choice i thank you for your input thanks

Happy

gwcrim
3rd April 2005, 16:19
The biggest factors, if you're going to go BIG bore, is whether you want a 4 or 5 speed and whether you want a belt or chain drive and of course, your budget.

I'd go with a 5 speed as they are all belt drives. But then I put a chain on mine so what does that tell ya! Guess I'm cornfuzed.

All the torque you'll have will work a 4 speed quite well. And they're cheaper, if $$$ are a concern. I'd still rather have the 5 speed.

The 5 speed bikes are all mid to late '90s and there is a pretty good aftermarket for parts. In some instances, 4 speed parts are a little harder to get. Like rear set pegs.

Have fun. I'd love to build another bike. But I need to finish the two that are torn apart as of now!

happyman
3rd April 2005, 16:41
The biggest factors, if you're going to go BIG bore, is whether you want a 4 or 5 speed and whether you want a belt or chain drive and of course, your budget.

I'd go with a 5 speed as they are all belt drives. But then I put a chain on mine so what does that tell ya! Guess I'm cornfuzed.

All the torque you'll have will work a 4 speed quite well. And they're cheaper, if $$$ are a concern. I'd still rather have the 5 speed.

The 5 speed bikes are all mid to late '90s and there is a pretty good aftermarket for parts. In some instances, 4 speed parts are a little harder to get. Like rear set pegs.

Have fun. I'd love to build another bike. But I need to finish the two that are torn apart as of now!
i think i just may be inclined togo to the 5 speed. it will be a big bore. anywhere from 82" to 88" no dragracing as mentioned but i will run it through the gears. seems to be some that say the belt will hold and some say no. of course it will depend on hp and tq and thats why i want the big bore. if the older 4 speeds are good and have no issues or something thats easily correctable i just may do that too. i am new to this forum and am looking for informatiom. have a long way to go to make my mind up. many things are involved and i know nothing of teh sporties. i had a 81 then all big twins and still have a 04 roadglide. had a 89 883 made a 1200 out of it using branch parts and the hotter version he did back then . it ran pretty good too. but if ya got on it the headlight was done.. anyway thanks for the info the more the better.

Chalee Mai Dee
6th April 2005, 04:00
Happyman,

I have a 91 883XLC. I having problems with the tranny on mine. In talking with Randy Givens (he has an 91 1450) and he has had tranny problems on his 91. He had mentioned that sometimes the gears have to be background to try and cure the problems. Still waiting for aniother couple of weeks before the indy can tear into mine again. He has been in it before to replace the shiffting forks and he said the tranny looked ok but it still kinda jumps or slips in 3rd gear.

Later,
Charlie

happyman
6th April 2005, 04:11
that sounds a bit strange for the transmissins to have the problems but i gues things happen. still curious if a belt can take the hp and tq of a 100/100 motor or better. no dragracing but may shift pretty hard at times

Takingabreak
6th April 2005, 04:40
Hi Happy.

The largest kit you can get(that I am aware of) that is Bolt in in the 1250 kit offered by one of the sponcers here, NRHS.
If you want to go to a 1450 or larger, you will need to bore the case, and rebuild the whole engine.

If I were to build one of these moster Sporty, I would get a 5 speed modle, and rebuilt the trans with all Baker innerds, and a scorpian cluch.
The stock trans is good, but you will be push more then the engineers ever thought would go through it, so beefing it up only makes since.

Personally, wile it sounds cool to have a 88 motor, I like a strong running bike that will run for a long time between teardowns, and those monster motors just don't seem to late as long. I think I would go to the 1250 kit for NRHS and run that for a wile, it will no doughte have a lot of poop, but should run longer with less headachs in the long run.

Just a thought.

dwardy
6th April 2005, 05:08
Actually, there were 2 years with the 5 speed tranny and chain drive. '91-'92. They only put the belt drive on certain models starting in '91 and put belt on all models starting in '93. I am fortunate enough to have the last of the chain drives. I actually prefer the chain drives just because they're more mechanical looking (and dirty). It's all part of the beauty of bikes. :D