PDA

View Full Version : rear wide tire kit

tloon1
3rd April 2005, 15:05
anyone here install the wide tire kit for the rear on your sportster? just curious ive been thinking about it thanks.

hero
3rd April 2005, 16:08
Depends how wide you wanna go. Here's a walk-through that onesickxl did to his when he went from 130 to 240..
Wide tyre conversion (http://www.clubchopper.com/t4508.html)

tloon1
3rd April 2005, 16:55
thanks laot ive been reading it.

Gone
4th April 2005, 17:38
There a number of different ways to do this. There are kits for both 180 and 240 conversions. I decided to perform my own 180 conversion after reading everything I could find on the net. I think the one comment was somebody saying that other than the swingarm and the pulley, there really wasn’t anything else you needed from the kit.

I started to communicate with another guy who did a DIY 180 kit and he told me I could modify my stock swingarm to work. So off I went. My conversion is currently in process so I can only comment on what I have learned to date.

First thing I did was to make a rear wheel. I bought a used Dyna wheel and kept the hub. I sent it to Buchanan’s in CA to have it laced to a 16x5.5 Excel chromed aluminum rim that I bought on eBay. By the time I was done, I had a $400 rear rim. Next time I would just by a Taiwan 18x5.5 off of eBay for under 200 bucks. If you do, you’ll get a wide hub so you won’t need a 0.9” pulley spacer. I did get a better rim, stainless spokes and a wheel built by the best in the business… it also matches the hub of my wide glide front wheel. There, I justified it in my mind. I had them lace the rim as if it was a stock Sportster to keep the centering (actually offset) the same as stock.

I used a 180/60R-16 Avon AM42 tire. Turns out the tire actually measures about 190mm when mounted. I am widening the stock arm around ¾” on the right and notching the gusset on the left to give clearance. I bought a used arm off eBay for 20 bucks and just spent 3 hours last night cutting and fabbing. I will weld it together this week. I am using an early chain drive FX axle since it is ¾” wider than a stock Sportster. I originally bought a ¾” spacer for the pulley but once I got the tire mounted, I bought a 0.900” spacer to give belt clearance.

I bought a ¾” offset pulley from V-Twin. I have a 93 so I will need to machine down the pulley spacer on the output shaft a little to match the offset of the rear pulley (0.9”). I made some spacers to go under the pulley cover to offset it a little to clear the new front pulley. You also need to change the stud in the case to a longer one.

Lastly, I bought a WCC 8-1/2” rear fender. I figure I’ll put the rear wheel on this week and start spreading the frame this w/e. So far it’s just time and patience right now. The rear wheel and tire have been the expensive items. Other than that:

Donor Wheel (for hub) $80
Rim 105
Lacing and SS spokes 205
Tire and tube 180
Pulley spacer 31
Pulley 165
Chromed Axle 38
Cover spacers and bolts 10
Swingarm 30
Fender 150

Total 994

Eeek, I’ve spent a grand so far. Maybe I shouldn’t add them up. Actually, not bad. The only things I need to buy are minor except for a side mount license plate holder.

Chuck

tmcelrea
7th April 2005, 02:33
Sounds awesome Chuckactor. Please post some pics of your bike in progress in the xlforum chopper forum. Thanks.

Gone
7th April 2005, 16:07
Sure will. I have a couple pics of the swingarm cut up. I just had it tack welded together this morning. I turned some spacer stock up on the latch so I'm going to tear down the bike tonight and start fitting the parts.

Chuck

tloon1
8th April 2005, 00:46
ive been talking to allie over at pro streetcustoms about this they have a 250 wide kit with a 5 inch stretch they are emailin me pictures of it on a sportster.i cant wait to see what this looks like on one.

tmcelrea
8th April 2005, 01:41
That's the same kit I'm picking up for my sporty this coming winter. Here is a picture of onesickxl1200's sporty that he put a 240 on. Talk about a truly sick look!!!
http://www.clubchopper.com/photopost/data/500/533DSC01286-med.JPG

leo_frantic
8th April 2005, 05:06
I used to be a dealer for Pro Street Customs but dropped them because they take so long to fill orders. When you deal with PSC make sure and tell them you want to pay C.O.D. September of 2003 I ordered $5000 in parts and paid for them. Allie told me it would be 3 weeks at most. After hearing every excuse imaginable from Bill and Allie, I finally received my parts in March of 2004. There were other instances too, but that one was the last straw.

pilot
8th April 2005, 06:10
I dealt with them last year on an offset pulley, I paid them, and had the part within a week, good people by me.

tloon1
13th April 2005, 23:16
ok my 240 kit will be here friday went with the kit at case4 probably going to start the tear down this weekend .ill post pictures

tmcelrea
14th April 2005, 02:06
I've heard nothing but problems with the cas4 kit. I hope it turns out for you. Please post pictures of your progress and details of pitfalls that you ran into. Thanks. BTW - why would you use up valuable riding time to work on the bike? Being from Ohio you must have just recently started riding right? There is no way I could put my bike in the shop now that I've started riding.

tloon1
14th April 2005, 02:10
i really havent been riding yet hopefully it dosent take to long it can be done for a week or so i really dont start riding for anothe r4 weeks yet ill keep ya posted thanks.

tloon1
1st May 2005, 18:45
ok pretty much have all my parts i need for the conversion to the 240 wide tire kit, here are some pictures of my bike before i get started ill keep ya posted as progress begins probably going to start this evening.i figure about a week or two should be done.

mailmanjohn
1st May 2005, 19:33
That's the same kit I'm picking up for my sporty this coming winter. Here is a picture of onesickxl1200's sporty that he put a 240 on. Talk about a truly sick look!!!
http://www.clubchopper.com/photopost/data/500/533DSC01286-med.JPG
that looks awesome...............any other pic's!

tloon1
1st May 2005, 20:37
I should have more in a few days

eastcoastiron
3rd May 2005, 14:11
I dealt with them last year on an offset pulley, I paid them, and had the part within a week, good people by me.
How much was this pulley?? Was it 30 or 29t???

Try Aaron at www.bigboarproducts tell him I refered you, They sell a 200 kit(perfect size) Fender and tire included all for $999----Cant beat it---Dragon kit is to little for to much and the directions are written by a 2 year old and Im just quoting a friend saying that,Wild Bill is a good person by my experience and I feel for any man who lost a daughter befor there 13th B_day :frownone

tmcelrea
7th May 2005, 15:07
that looks awesome...............any other pic's!

Here's a link to the entire documented build of this sporty to a 240. Lots of pics, lots of good advice...etc. etc. Its a good read.

http://www.clubchopper.com/t4508.html

tmcelrea
7th May 2005, 15:08
ok pretty much have all my parts i need for the conversion to the 240 wide tire kit, here are some pictures of my bike before i get started ill keep ya posted as progress begins probably going to start this evening.i figure about a week or two should be done.
Nice lookin' bike tloon1. Lots of chrome. I'm anxious to watch your progress. Thanks again for sharing.

tloon1
7th May 2005, 16:12
i just sent the swing arm to be powder coated should have it back wed or thurs. then i can get started thanks.

eastcoastiron
8th May 2005, 00:59
should have mocked it up first then powder coated it,just my 2cents :smoke :tour

tloon1
8th May 2005, 01:02
hey east coast is that you ive been talking to over at chopperclub? i thought about it but i should be ok have most of it to fit pretty good hell i wanted to chrome it but couldnt find anyone to do it for under 4 hundred dollars.

tloon1
3rd June 2005, 23:31
just bstarted the 240 conversion today dont know if i like the 80 spoke wheel though

eastcoastiron
4th June 2005, 03:18
I think the rim is nice---Not to expensive either I bet,They bend easy so watch for potholes :tour The thread at CC with sick Xl bike---That pulley cover he made is hot--I even asked him if his boy can make me one---I got blown off---I just dont know anyone in a machine shop

tloon1
4th June 2005, 04:30
i still may change the rim to a different wheel im also going with a 5 degree mid glide front end and just recieved my 4.o gallon tank today

eastcoastiron
4th June 2005, 06:37
who makes a 4 gallon tank??? Mines like 3.4 gallons (2inch streached flatside) Make sure you seal the inside befor filling it up,They all leak sooner or later if this procedure isnt done,Visit eastcoastchoppers ebay store and buy tat POR15 stuff,best $30 you can spend---Lets see some photos of parts, Also i dont care what anyone says,If you plan on going over like 90MPH keep your raked trees to 3 degrees,4 if you wanna push it. Are you staying 39mm in the tubes??? What trees you going with?? Let me guess HHI---You should just buy Sick Xls bike(LOL) :clap :smoke Just playing---They are nice trees ---I paid $225 for mine ,wide glide,Sunmyth,3 degree rake,chrome,but I switched to 41mm pro one leg assemblies--so it added up to as much as the HHI 39mm trees,actually alot more but Im not complaining. There is a guy on ebay GordonRonk--Sells 41mm sliders and tube assemblys,put together already,just add oil---For like $350--Nice deal--sliders are like the pro ones with removable fender mounts if not running a fender and brake caliper mounts if not running brakes or just running a single you remove one. :tour

tloon1
4th June 2005, 13:33
im thinking of ordring that outside bearing support from nastybikes

eastcoastiron
4th June 2005, 14:07
im thinking of ordring that outside bearing support from nastybikes
If you like that ,cool,is it really needed?? What kinda HP you running

tloon1
5th June 2005, 21:39
new fender tank and fat bars 8 inch rise 1 1/4 inch

tloon1
6th June 2005, 01:01
ok installed the swing arm rear wheel spacers and belt all lined up had a heck of a time getting the front pulley on the tranny but it went on tight.looks good so far.

XLFREAK
6th June 2005, 04:12
I like this...lets see more pics!

tloon1
6th June 2005, 04:24
i have to keep deleting pict to get more on here is their a way to add more pict without deleting them thanks.

Gone
9th June 2005, 17:00
Looks great. Kinda like deja-vu except mine is a 180 conversion. I have similar bars and tank. I have 6" rise bars and a singel aircraft filler tank. Bike's looking great.

Chuck

tloon1
11th June 2005, 16:18
heres a few more pictures with the fender sitting on the bike i just primed it last night with the new tail light assy the fender is a littl off in this pict but its not fastened down yet

eastcoastiron
12th June 2005, 08:04
WCC STEELER FENDER?? wHY DONT YOU TELL US how did you get the fender rails back where you needed them---You did a super job----As far as your photos Go to www.photobucket.com and start a album,when you upload a photo off your computer it will give you a IMG code under it just copy and paste it in your post and photo will show up,no thumbnails,large photos,use it ,its free :smoke

tloon1
12th June 2005, 13:51
i purchase 3 pieces of threaded rod with washers and nuts ran thru the shock holes and the fender bolt holes 5/16 inch rod ans 3/8 inch rod and slowly pulled everything back together a little a a time i did a little each day

eastcoastiron
12th June 2005, 14:57
Wow sinve Im an electrician--I have all that stuff handy---And I never even tought of that---,how did you spread them apart?? Whats has to be done to get the stuts over the tire without removing it to do this???

tloon1
12th June 2005, 15:57
i cut the frame under the seat and used my small pop bottle jack to spread the farme a little at a time i did it over a period in 3 days i didnt want to stress the frame to much at one time ill take a pict of the new cross bar that im weldin on the frame.

tmcelrea
12th June 2005, 19:57
Looking good man...thanks for sharing the pictures and your experiences.

tloon1
12th June 2005, 21:22
ty i have some more with the pipes back on it ill be putting the new tank on this week just sealed the inside of the new tank with por 15 waiting for it to dr that should really set my project off to the races.

tloon1
16th June 2005, 00:41
well got the fender painted and my new progrssive shocks just arrived today be ready for the road soon soon as i buff the fender ill post apicture with the bike back together

eastcoastiron
16th June 2005, 06:55
well got the fender painted and my new progrssive shocks just arrived today be ready for the road soon soon as i buff the fender ill post apicture with the bike back together
how bout a photo befor the fender getts buffed :clap :smoke

eastcoastiron
16th June 2005, 06:59
ty i have some more with the pipes back on it ill be putting the new tank on this week just sealed the inside of the new tank with por 15 waiting for it to dr that should really set my project off to the races.
BEST MOVE YOU MADE was that por 15 sealer---pain getting thatstuff swashing around that whole tank so it didnt puddle up anywear right??? That tank would have leaked sooner or late so good move :clap :tour :smoke :wonderlan

tloon1
16th June 2005, 12:35
yep it was a pain but worth the extra couple of hours cleaning the tank thanks again.

tloon1
18th June 2005, 23:47
heres a few pict on the rear end still waiting for the tank but the rear end is complete just finished wiring the tail light and turn signals i may take the turn signals off the bolt going thru the signals is pretty close to the wheel almost to close.as for the exhaust i hace the heat shield on its way to cover that new piece i welded in their

eastcoastiron
19th June 2005, 07:24
what did you do to the pipes ,they loook sweeet :smoke

tloon1
19th June 2005, 12:51
those are the original samson pipes i had i welded an extension on the back pipe since i welded the extension it pushed it out 4 inches from the other pipe their a little closse to the ground im having a heck of a time trying to tighten the back bolts for the exhaust if i cant get these pipes to work properly im going to purchas new pipes from pipebiz i like my samson pipes though .

yogurtslinger
20th June 2005, 02:16
how is the 240 kit? is it fairly well made? I assume its not garbage since you installed it. Any specialty items needed for the kit?

Thanks
Bryan

tloon1
20th June 2005, 12:30
the kit was ok i didnt like the material the swing arm was made of it wouldnt of looked right chromed so i had it powder coated i dont like the brake set up not strong enough in my opinion if i ever do it again ill spend the money on another frame and do it that way

tloon1
21st June 2005, 01:13
heres a better pict with the pipes all mounted going to pick up my new slim line seat.almost done

tloon1
21st June 2005, 02:52
any bodyy tell me how to down load the pict from photobucket thanks mike.

tloon1
25th June 2005, 14:51
[url]http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b1http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/

xllent01
25th June 2005, 20:49
Right click, click on properties, highlight url address, right click
again and click on copy, close small window, go to message thread
click on yellow icon, prees control v and the url address will pop up
in window and click ok and the pic should show up in the message thread.
Hope this helps.

http://www.xlforum.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=2968

Tried to hotlink your photo from your uploaded attachment but the forum
will not allow it because of the attachment has to be converted to jpeg format to hotlink it to the thread. If you follow the directions on top photobucket will allow you to hotlink any photo to this forum.

All my bike photos have been hotlinked from photobucket, better than clogging up your gallery at the forum. Hotlinking takes out the middle man
and lets you upload the pics 1 time instead of twice. Hope this helps.

tmcelrea
26th June 2005, 03:20
Bike looks awesome dude. I can't wait to get mine done this coming winter. SWEET!!!!

tloon1
26th June 2005, 04:31
thank you i cant wait to put the tank one this weekend and ride it only took me 5 weeks off and on not to bad

yogurtslinger
26th June 2005, 06:28
post up a nice side view of the bike, wanna see that back rim

eastcoastiron
26th June 2005, 06:34
any bodyy tell me how to down load the pict from photobucket thanks mike.
Copy and past the IMG code not the url Thats all you do,just copy and paste it in your post ,with a space in front of it and back of it.... :clap

tloon1
4th July 2005, 04:01
heres a few pictures of mine

eastcoastiron
4th July 2005, 04:06
heres a few pictures of mine
Were :smoke

tloon1
4th July 2005, 12:59
wow never made it lol

txsporty
4th July 2005, 15:40
tloon1

You can download your pic's to the Gallery here, then post them here!!! :D

Easy to do!!!

I'm dying to see how your scoot turned out!!!! :yikes

PM me if you need any help downloading your pic's to the gallery!!

tloon1
4th July 2005, 16:03
ill try here ina little bit im in the process of putting the 3 degree front end on right now went with a mid glide

eastcoastiron
5th July 2005, 05:53
looking super---use www.photobucket.com to post photos---just paste the img code after you upload your photos and it will show up---no space used on forum :clap

tloon1
5th July 2005, 12:16
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b171/tloon1/Picture584.jpg

tloon1
5th July 2005, 12:16
ok i think i have ithttp://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b171/tloon1/Picture592.jpg

tloon1
5th July 2005, 12:23
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b171/tloon1/Picture574.jpg

tloon1
5th July 2005, 12:23
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b171/tloon1/Picture594.jpg

tloon1
5th July 2005, 12:24
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b171/tloon1/Picture590.jpg

tloon1
5th July 2005, 12:25
ok thanks brother

tloon1
7th July 2005, 02:33
COUPLE NEW PICTURES WITH THE TANKhttp://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b171/tloon1/Picture597.jpg

tloon1
7th July 2005, 02:34
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b171/tloon1/Picture599.jpg

eastcoastiron
7th July 2005, 06:06
Photobuckets nice ,no??? Can I get a close up of that speddo ,tach set up bro??? Not that close but a good shot,Thanks

tloon1
19th July 2005, 17:12
well out on the road rides pretty good getting ready to order the [parts to build the motor this winter thinking about that 88 inch kit.also

tmcelrea
24th July 2005, 15:01
tloon1...can you please keep us posted on the 88 inch kit? Where were you thinking of ordering it from? BTW, did you have any problems getting ahold of Leo_Frantic for your wide tire kit?

Mr Jimi
28th September 2006, 15:28
i have to keep deleting pict to get more on here is their a way to add more pict without deleting them thanks.

Premium membership will give you lots more picture space here.
Jim:tour

pathof31thorns
22nd August 2012, 00:41
What kind of tank is that and where'd you get it from?

Big Rob
22nd August 2012, 01:52
Not tryin to steal this thread bike looks awsome btw but I have a tank just like that one I wanna sell if any one is intrested pm me

Big rob