PDA

View Full Version : Tire Size?

Weasel
5th April 2007, 03:39
I have been shopping around for tires and have had a dealer and an indy price me a 130 rear tire even though the stock OEM tire on the bike is an 150. Is there any reason for this? What would be the difference in the ride and handling? I have an 05 XL.

:usmc:

:pgrflag:

gusotto
5th April 2007, 03:47
If it's the same brand, I'd go with the size that came on the bike (150).

He probably doesn't have a 150 in stock.

Also make sure you get a recently manufactured tire, not one that's been sitting for a few years. They deteriate when sitting.

Weasel
5th April 2007, 12:29
Anyone else have any input on this. I have the OEM Dunlops now and am looking at Metz!!! I just want to know what the performance differences would be and why two different people are pricing the 130 instead of the 150 that is on the bike!

XLFREAK
5th April 2007, 12:41
did you run a search on this subject? maybe that will help.

SpartanDen
5th April 2007, 14:27
Can't answer much on the size differential, or why they are quoting you a 130 rather than 150. But I do have a Metzler on mine. 02 1200 xlh with 130. I did notice a difference in the way it feels running down the road. Most notable is the absence of the little "squirrel jiggle" you get when you run over a seam in the road. The Metz feels so much better than the Dunlop. I don't think you'll go wrong with the Metz. I would double check to make sure the 150 Metz is not really a bit wider than a stock 150 Dunlop. That could be the only reason I can think they would quote you the smaller size.

gymrat523
5th April 2007, 14:40
They must be making a mistake, I also have a 2005 xl883 and put Metzlers on last year front and back, I stayed 150 on back but if you like fatter 160 will fit.
I have never heard of anyone putting a 130 on your bike.
performance is much better, I notice the most diff in the bike tracking straight on bridges and those lines in the road where the bike used to wander around a little. Also corners much better.
Higher pressure in tires, I run 38 front and 40 back with Metzlers, make sure whoever puts them on knows this.
I would never put Dunlops back on.
http://xlforum.net/photopost/data/749/medium/Mar03_0001.jpg

Weasel
6th April 2007, 02:41
I went ahead and had the Metz put on. Got the 150 in the rear. The ride home was amazing! They handled so much better than I can ever remember the Donlops. I can't wait to see how they handle the twisties! Later and thanks again for the input!

rottenralph
6th April 2007, 02:51
03 and before sporties and bt's had 130's for eons. Probably why he has that tire in stock.

Weo
6th April 2007, 04:06
Ya, my Sporty has the smaller tire (1999). They are probably either unaware that the new Sportsters have 150's or they are trying to unload some old stock.

Swankster
6th April 2007, 05:36
Anyone else have any input on this. I have the OEM Dunlops now and am looking at Metz!!! I just want to know what the performance differences would be and why two different people are pricing the 130 instead of the 150 that is on the bike!

Because you are dealing with freakin morons!
Stay with the same tire size or even go one size over if you like the look.
You won't notice any real difference although some hear would argue differently.
Anything other than the stock Dunlop will likely perform better but you will not get the same amount of miles, Guarantee!
Swankster