PDA

View Full Version : Matching Front and Rear Wheels?

Henry89
6th April 2007, 00:21
I'm about to order a new front mag wheel for my 99 XL1200C. How big of a deal would it be if I didn't get the matching rear wheel? I was thinking of just getting the matching rotor and pully for the rear that would match the new front wheel and rotor. I have the stock solid rear wheel with the cut outs on the outter edges and looking at my bike you really can't see much of the rear wheel. If I got the matching rear wheel I was going with the 18x3.5 wheel and run the low profile tire. With the 18x3.5 do you think you would even be able to tell if I was running a matching rear wheel? I'm looking at about a $600-$800 difference if I do or don't go with the matching rear wheel. What do you think? Thanks!

gammaqueen
6th April 2007, 02:39
I just got new wheels and almost did what you are talking about. My saddle bags almost cover my rear wheels. I ended up getting the rear to match and I am glad I did now. I only got the front brake rotor, but now I decided that I want the rear rotor too. You can see it just enough to make me want one.

snowman
6th April 2007, 02:43
I have an '07 fatboy wheel on the back and a 13 spoke mag on the front of mine. Both are polished aluminum and I think they look good that way. I like your idea of matching the pulley and rotors since they have more of a visual effect on the looks of the bike than the wheel does sometimes. Maybe have the back wheel powdercoated black to give them a more pronounced look..:geek:geek:geek

XL O.C.D.
6th April 2007, 03:25
Just as long as the finish is the same front to back, style isn't as big of a deal IMO.

rider29206
6th April 2007, 03:30
http://xlforum.net/photopost/data/500/jan_2005_012.jpg

My Custom with Thunderstar front and stock back wheel

Henry89
6th April 2007, 03:57
rider29206....I have the same rear wheel as you have. After looking at your picture I can visualize what the new rear rotor will look like on my stock rear wheel that would match the new front wheel and rotor. There is a picture of the wheels, rotors and pully I'm going to order. Just not going to get the rear wheel. Will save me $1000.

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f381/RC_Feen/HogPro_Wheels.jpg

I think with the matching rear rotor and pully will look good with the stock rear wheel. Here's my bike to get an idea what I'm working with:

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f381/RC_Feen/IMG_2268.jpg

What do you think? Thanks!

rider29206
6th April 2007, 03:58
It will look great.

MJK
6th April 2007, 04:32
rider29206....I have the same rear wheel as you have. After looking at your picture I can visualize what the new rear rotor will look like on my stock rear wheel that would match the new front wheel and rotor. There is a picture of the wheels, rotors and pully I'm going to order. Just not going to get the rear wheel. Will save me $1000.

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f381/RC_Feen/HogPro_Wheels.jpg

I think with the matching rear rotor and pully will look good with the stock rear wheel. Here's my bike to get an idea what I'm working with:

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f381/RC_Feen/IMG_2268.jpg

What do you think? Thanks!

I really like that wheel, I've been looking at it for awhile. Definitely post some pics once you get it on.

Henry89
6th April 2007, 04:39
MJK.....Will do! I've been looking at these wheels also for a long time. I'm finally going to just get them already. Plan on ordering them tomorrow and hopefully they will arrive by the end of next week. Birthday is on Friday next week (4/13) so it would be nice to get them in and then have the local HD shop swap everything. Can't wait.

Johnny G
6th April 2007, 05:11
That is a awesome looking set of wheels , I almost bought a after market set of rims but I just replaced the front with a new 399.00 e bay wheel that cost over a grand at the STEALER and I could not be happier, just so glad to get rid of the spokes. Make sure you post some pics if you go for it I can only imagine how nice they will look.

Henry89
6th April 2007, 05:30
Johnny G....I've been watching ebay for just a front HD wheel. I was wanting to take the cheaper route. I was bidding on a HD 21'' Slotted Six spoke wheel but the price was up to $501. It was for a 2000 and later XL so I would have had to swap the wheel bearings. With the added cost to swap the bearings I would have been at about the same as prices as if I just baught the Hogpro front wheel and rotor. Getting the matching rear pully and rotor adds a little more to the cost but I think in the end my bike will be where I want it to be for now or atleast this ridding season.

Johnny G
6th April 2007, 15:36
Johnny G....I've been watching ebay for just a front HD wheel. I was wanting to take the cheaper route. I was bidding on a HD 21'' Slotted Six spoke wheel but the price was up to $501. It was for a 2000 and later XL so I would have had to swap the wheel bearings. With the added cost to swap the bearings I would have been at about the same as prices as if I just baught the Hogpro front wheel and rotor. Getting the matching rear pully and rotor adds a little more to the cost but I think in the end my bike will be where I want it to be for now or atleast this ridding season.

If you are looking for wheels on e bay type in ( Dyna XL ) thats were I seem to find the most wheels

socal1200R
6th April 2007, 23:51
The mismatch of wheels that I don't get is a spoked front and mag rear. Makes no sense to me at all to mismatch two diametrically opposed wheel designs...must be a harley thing...

xllent01
7th April 2007, 00:37
Running stock solid rear wheel with RC Components Sabre wheel up front.

Just to expensive to run all matching wheels, rotors, and matching rear pully. Have to refinance my house to do all that, :laugh :laugh :laugh

http://xlforum.net/photopost/data/500/medium/DSC01384.JPG

Dubfire
7th April 2007, 01:16
I've got a '99 XL1200C and I didn't like the 21" spoked front wheel. This is what a standard 19" cast wheel looks like with the stock rear.

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d16/mdubfire/castwheelrhs600x400.jpg

Not exactly what you are considering, but I think it looks OK.

Henry89
7th April 2007, 02:38
Well the tilte says it all. Called HogPro today and ordered front Panther 21" wheel, matching rotor and rear matching rotor and pully. :clap The wheel and front rotor will be shipped out Monday or Tuesday. The rear pully was not in stock so they have to have it made. About 3-4 weeks before the rear pully will be ready. Once the rear pully is ready they'll be shipping the pully and rear rotor. Just FYI! Phil at HogPro was very helpful in taking my order and making everything will bolt right up. I'll post some pic's after the front wheel is mounted. Should be in a few weeks. Thanks!

Johnny G
7th April 2007, 02:40
Well the tilte says it all. Called HogPro today and ordered front Panther 21" wheel, matching rotor and rear matching rotor and pully. :clap The wheel and front rotor will be shipped out Monday or Tuesday. The rear pully was not in stock so they have to have it made. About 3-4 weeks before the rear pully will be ready. Once the rear pully is ready they'll be shipping the pully and rear rotor. Just FYI! Phil at HogPro was very helpful in taking my order and making everything will bolt right up. I'll post some pic's after the front wheel is mounted. Should be in a few weeks. Thanks!

Can't wait to see it, I bet they will look awesome, post pics ASAP :smoke

Henry89
7th April 2007, 02:56
Johnny G.....I can't wait either. I'm still debating on getting the matching rear wheel. HogPro said I could get the rear wheel for $550 but then another $150 for a Metzeler 140/70HB-18 for a total of $700. That's not including the cost to have the tire mounted/balanced. The more I think about it, I can't justify spending $700 more for a matching rear wheel when you really can't see the rear wheel that well. Also, the stock solid rear wheel is easier to maintain/clean and will look even better with the matching pully and rotor. Should be a nice looking setup once it's completed.

kbfarkas
11th April 2007, 18:15
It seems most like to change out the front wheel, I just went the other way this weekend. I changed out the rear with a Chromed 13 spoke wheel and I kept the laced rim up front. I like the classic look of the spokes up front. Getting rid of the solid rear wheel made quite a difference in the overall appearance of the bike.
http://xlforum.net/photopost/data/500/medium/April_R_rear.jpg

Rob Henderson
17th April 2007, 01:46
I got a set of 13 spoke alloy HD wheels off ebay for $100 and had them powdercoated. Total cost $280.

http://xlforum.net/photopost/data/500/medium/Side4.JPG

Henry89
18th May 2007, 02:54
Well I received my front wheel & rotor, rear rotor and pully. A few weeks ago I took the bike to the dealership to have everything installed. Well my luck nothing fit. Front wheel was "out of ture" and rear pully and rotor didn't fit my stock rear wheel. The inter diameter of the rotor and pully was too big (2 1/4). Well the dealership called Hog Pro and then made arrangements to send the wheel back to Hog Pro. Hog Pro received the wheel and verified that the hub was bad. They replaced the hub and placed the wheel on a true machine and said it was good. I received the wheel back from Hog Pro on Tuesday. Took the bike in today 5/17 to have everything installed again and guess what. The front wheel is still "NOT TRUE". Dealership called Hog Pro again and they gave them suggestions on the wheel. Well the dealership determined that the wheel was still not "TRUE" so Hog Pro is next daying the dealership another wheel for tomorrow. Well tomorrow will be the third wheel from Hog Pro so it better fit or everything is going back and I'll be getting my money back and going with another aftermarket wheel and distributor. Well see how it goes tomorrow. I'll be posting pictures or telling you all I'm getting a refund. I'm just not having any luck.

Henry89
19th May 2007, 10:41
Well to make a long story short, the second wheel Hog Pro sent had a rounout of 100 thousands. Hog Pro pulled several other wheels from their warehouse and could find a 21x2.15 wheel like the one I have with a runout less than 60 thousands. So now the dealership is pulling the rear rotor & pully off and re-installing all my original stuff. Hog Pro is going to comp me with for all the labor cost I've had to pay. Going to call them Monday and see about working out a deal on a PM Wrath front wheel and rotor. We'll see! All and all Hog Pro has tried to resolve the situation and have been more than willing to make things right! Stay tuned!