PDA

View Full Version : Lowered my 883 today

DM-SC
4th April 2005, 00:24
I installed a set of 1200C rear shocks today. I also lowered the fork by loosening the clamp bolts and sliding the tubes up .75". I love the shocks, I'm not so sure about the fork.

It seems the fork just blows right through it's travel. I think I'm going to put it back to stock height and then install the progressive springs.

Check my Gallery for pics...

GOTWA
4th April 2005, 22:03
Looks real good DM!

Shu
4th April 2005, 22:19
I lowered mine and now have pics, well I will tonight, of it. I lowered the front of my custom abotu 3 inches and the rear an additional inch. She is very very low. As a matter of fact, teh front is so low that the back of the front fender dang near touches the voltage regulator. I think I'm going to go back in and increase the upper spring pressure by adding another 1/4" to the spacer just in case. When I'm sitting on the bike, the top of the chrome fork seal covers is only about 1 1/4 inch from the lower triple tree. I'll post a picture of it tonight.

xena
4th April 2005, 22:39
DMSC I too tried the pushing the tubes up into the triple trees trick and I hated it because although I was able lower the front to match the rear doing it this way, the fork springs still sucked. That's why I went with the fork spring lowering kit. So much better now.

Also, be careful lowering the front guys. It's not safe to have the front lower than the rear, but vice versa is ok. HD tech's warned me when I mentioned to them that I was going to lower my bike.

Shu
4th April 2005, 22:43
TECHS TECHS TECHS :) No, Mine is perfectly level now, but about an inch or slighly more lower than a hugger, both front an rear. BUT I do agree, you definately do not want the front lower than the rear.

DM-SC
4th April 2005, 23:11
Xena,

Which lowering kit did you use for the front?

I'm heading back over to my friends house in a few minutes to raise the front back up...

xena
5th April 2005, 01:04
Xena,

Which lowering kit did you use for the front?

White Brothers Fork Spring Lowering Kit. Eastern Performance Cycle on ebay. Progressive makes a kit as well and I think it's even less money, but I had some free time and wanted to get it done and these guys ship fast, in like 2 days. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4531791638&ssPageName=Action:MPS

engine
5th April 2005, 01:51
DMSC, definately get the lowering springs, progressively wound. My front springs suck @$$. I installed progressive rears, and will have my indy dot he fronts when they put on new tires. And while they're at it, I might have them pwodercoat my lower legs black. I'm so happy with the way my rears came out, I can't stop looking at how the fender hugs the tire. Love it.
http://www.clubchopper.com/photopost/data/500/235121_2127.JPG

DM-SC
5th April 2005, 13:44
I rasied the front back up last night. Much, much better! I'm still amazed at just how soft the stock springs are in the fork! Does anyone make heavier springs that do NOT lower the fork?

After riding it home last night and to work this morning, I'm thinking that I'll leave the fork the way it is (stock height) for now. It's looking more like Paula won't be riding it...at least not right a way.

Paula is thinking that the H-D is too much bike for her to learn on. We're heading over to the local Yamaha (or is that Yamahondasaki? :laugh ) dealer after work today. We're going to see if she can ride a Virago 250... :shhhh

DLM32
5th April 2005, 14:36
DM-SC,

:D Yes, I think both Progressive Suspension and Works Performance make heavier front springs in the standard length for the 39mm forks. I run my 04 Custom with the forks 1.5 inches up in the clamps and I want to slow down the travel with heavier springs and fork oil. Just fixed the back with 440 Progressives, now onto the front. I'll probably use a Progressive Suspension front spring lowering kit.

Try J&P Cycles or Dennis Kirk on-line.

xena
5th April 2005, 16:13
Yep, the Progressive kit is popular. See this (http://www.xlforum.net/forums/showthread.php?t=4109&highlight=progressive+fork+springs) thread.

dwardy
5th April 2005, 17:30
Also, be careful lowering the front guys. It's not safe to have the front lower than the rear, but vice versa is ok. HD tech's warned me when I mentioned to them that I was going to lower my bike.

Yeah but think of all the money you'll save on gas since you're going downhill all the time.

:laugh