PDA

View Full Version : law and consequence

metallicarlos82
31st May 2009, 09:30
ok. im just wondering for of us here in california. i know the law for minimum requirement to ride a motorcycle is a permit. with restrictions not to ride on the freeway, at nite or with a passenger. now, my question is does anybody know what is the consequence if someone gets pulled over with no permit..? i ask because, currently ive been riding with no permit, it expired. and been a little lazy to get it again, hell i actually failed the written exam 2 times already in november and have one last chance..although im not sure if its been too long for me to still use that last chance at the pemit. anyways, im asking because im not sure IF i do get pulled over before i get my permit, what will happen..a ticket? does the bike get inpounded? ive tried to be very careful when riding BUT sometimes that rush gets to me and im hauling ass down the streets, and now i hear about cops crackin down on loud pipes..any information i would appreciate..thanx

drummerboy4as
31st May 2009, 10:46
I got pulled over at night and I only had a permit, the cops in the city I got pulled over in are notoriously strict. He asked if I had a cell phone and knew anyone with a valid M1, I said yeah, he said call 'em so they can come get your bike. He wrote me a ticket but didn't stick around to see if I called anyone. As soon as he took off, I did too :D

I then went and took the MSF course, got my license, and cleared the ticket. I'm pretty sure it's just a fix it ticket so I'm not sure of the consequence if you don't fix it.

I would suggest paying the $250 or whatever and take the MSF course. Well worth the money.

jharback
31st May 2009, 10:51
If you've failed the written exam twice I'm not sure I want you riding on the same roads I or my loved ones do. :laugh

midnitewolf
31st May 2009, 11:19
If you've failed the written exam twice I'm not sure I want you riding on the same roads I or my loved ones do. :laugh

I'm positive I don't want him on the road .

xllent01
31st May 2009, 12:46
Failed the written twice??

I'm positive some people don't need to be riding motorcycles..:laugh

Rehit
31st May 2009, 12:57
after riding for 40 years i got my MC endorsment last week.
i did have my permit for almost 11 months before doing so.
i did not miss one question on the written test and scored a 98 on the road test so you guys are relatively safe...:laugh
we are leaving for Ohio this week for the all Harley drags and Ohio bike week.
most states require that the police not allow you to leave a traffic stop on your bike without your MC endorsement, most will actually impound your bike.
i did not think taking a chance of leaving my bike to be impounded was worth the gamble.
the examiner that administered my test told me that only 5% of the riders in SC have a valid MC endorsment and that with the large growth of riders recently, they intend to start enforcing the laws...

metallicarlos82
1st June 2009, 08:18
actually i was surprised i failed. ive always passed it on the first try. this time i just got cocky i guess. and it was for the dumbest ones too :doh i know i should of glanced at the booklet but i figures ahh what the hell ive been riding for a while now and have passed the exam..like i said i kinda got cocky...and i dont see how me failing it 2 times makes me someone not to share the road with...:tour

jfs92579
1st June 2009, 08:25
I'm positive I don't want him on the road .

Just because you fail the written exam once or twice, it has nothing to do with your ability to ride.

metallicarlos82
1st June 2009, 08:34
Just because you fail the written exam once or twice, it has nothing to do with your ability to ride.

just the ability to either read..or understand lol. regardless ill work on getting it i dont want to risk it

Weo
1st June 2009, 08:39
actually i was surprised i failed. ive always passed it on the first try. this time i just got cocky i guess. and it was for the dumbest ones too :doh i know i should of glanced at the booklet but i figures ahh what the hell ive been riding for a while now and have passed the exam..like i said i kinda got cocky...and i dont see how me failing it 2 times makes me someone not to share the road with...:tour

Well... I'd tend to get nervous if I knew that the driver next to me failed their written a couple times too. I was going to write a long winded speech to tell you how dumb I was for the first few years of riding, but I'm not proud of the sh&t I did.

Do yourself, your family, and other riders/drivers a favor, take the safety course and get the endorsement.

Around here (I took the test in IL), you can sign up at one of the local colleges and take the course for free (minus deposit and processing fee = $20, but with $15 bucks back upon completion). Here (IL), you have to find out the registration dates, schedule within a few seconds on the computer from when registration starts, and get into one of these classes. I registered at 12 midnight, 30 seconds after it openned up and got in a class scheduled 6 months later. Some people just show up and get lucky with a dropped spot. I don't know if its the same in Cali though.

midnitewolf
1st June 2009, 10:23

He can be your riding buddy then :rolleyes:

flashedwards
1st June 2009, 10:44
Carlos: Up here in Norcal when you are pulled over and don't have the MC endorsement some of the officers look at that as operating without a license and will impound your scooter. It's not worth it...spend the $250 and take the course...it's easy and cheaper than paying for the towing and storage when your baby gets impounded.
Flash

xllent01
1st June 2009, 12:22

Ability is one thing, or a lack of it for a better word..

It isn't worth the potential cost to get your shit impounded, not to mention the insurance liabilities of riding without one (endorsment) these days.

jharback
1st June 2009, 12:49

:roflblack:roflblack:roflblack:roflblack

Gone
1st June 2009, 13:40

Nope, but it does show a lack of knowledge for the rules of the road.

BrianRides
1st June 2009, 14:49
Cockiness taking the test and while riding are not good signs. What everyone is trying to say is that they're worried for you. Don't take it as an insult, it's just concern.

I rode at night, on the freeway, with my wife on the back, when I only had my permit. But cops never bother Goldwing owners, ever. Riding through the Virgin River Gorge, we passed a Jaguar at about 90MPH. Trooper came out of nowhere and pulled the Jag over. :)

Shai`tan
1st June 2009, 14:56
I find this sadly.... funny. It is amazing how many people HAVE passed their exams, got licences, and should NOT be on a bike OR behind the wheel of a car/truck.

BrianRides
1st June 2009, 15:23
I find this sadly.... funny. It is amazing how many people HAVE passed their exams, got licences, and should NOT be on a bike OR behind the wheel of a car/truck.

I watched guys fail the practical test on Ninja 250s, and similar little bikes. While I agree that there are many clueless licensed drivers, some are failing for their own safety.

Gone
1st June 2009, 15:43
While I agree that there are many clueless licensed drivers, .........

Yep agree with that.
However, while there are some riders WITH licenses who haven't a clue, I've never seen a non-licensed/non trained driver with a clue. Of course you couldn't tell them that (and have them listen).

Skills come with training and experience for most. IMO: take the course, get trained, pass the test.

metallicarlos82
2nd June 2009, 08:26
true. i looked up some spots for the course..found one in inglewood..:doh $250. but i gota save up for the course and make sure im able to attend. actualy i gota buy a full helmet and some gloves cuz i gota bring that to the course. true it will cost more if i get pulled over. or at the very least get my permit. ill ride to the dmv for the booklet and start studying and pay the $40 to take the written..:tour

midnitewolf
2nd June 2009, 11:02
true. i looked up some spots for the course..found one in inglewood..:doh $250. but i gota save up for the course and make sure im able to attend. actualy i gota buy a full helmet and some gloves cuz i gota bring that to the course. true it will cost more if i get pulled over. or at the very least get my permit. ill ride to the dmv for the booklet and start studying and pay the $40 to take the written..:tour

Heres a link to the hand book on line

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/dl655/dl665mcycle.pdf

Gone
2nd June 2009, 13:32

Now you're talkin'!!! Good choice.

donyw
2nd June 2009, 14:16
I have been told that if you have a regular license, and a motorcycle permit it is considered driving out of class. And this is not as severe as driving without a license. Don't know how true that is, but I take the class on the 15th of July.

BrianRides
2nd June 2009, 14:20
Inglewood? Give him credit for that right there. Shows some commitment.

khaskins
2nd June 2009, 14:40

I always wanted the state to make the written test harder... you know to take some of the morons off the road (wishful thinking). :laugh:laugh

But I was not referring to you, I meant the other morons. :p:p (Just joking)

fastkevin
28th August 2009, 04:19
Carlos: Up here in Norcal when you are pulled over and don't have the MC endorsement some of the officers look at that as operating without a license and will impound your scooter.
The law provides the officer to do just this if he feels it's warranted(or maybe he's had a bad day, or doesn't like you, or was recently flipped off by a guy riding a motorcycle...)
It's definitely a serious risk riding without one.

dr.feltersnatch
28th August 2009, 04:33
Carlos do like I did go get the book and place it on the back of the toilet. Guaranteed you will read it! And when your done reading it read it again and again and again. If your do that you will pass.

04xl1200c
16th March 2011, 21:12
i went though a DUI stop some years back in Roseville, CA and the cop looked at my "backpack" and my MC permit (it was about 9pm) and it was VERY dark he applodded me for not skiping the line and "going" around the check point and asked me if i was heading straight HOME! i said YES and he let me go! i had JUST got out of class so he knew i prol wasnt drunk! but i was not on the freeway nor was i intending to use the "freeway" i would take the "back" roads to school avoiding the freeway!

but maybe i found a nice cop but mostly they can be dicks :( its just a better idea to have a MC license!

Big_Baazzoo
17th March 2011, 02:56
Well, I don't know about the law as far as what they will do if they catch you with no license, but consider this: If you got in an accident, your insurance is void if you have not got a proper license. Imagine being sued by some car owner for the dent your body made in their car and paying your own - and their - hospital bills.

But then, it occurs to me that if you are not responsible enough to get a proper driver's license to operate a vehicle on a public road, then you probably don't bother with insurance either.

No, having or not having a license is not a reflection of riding ability. But it is a law.

So, no, I would not want to share the road with you.

metallicarlos82
4th April 2011, 08:59
been riding since 2004. and yes i have insurance. i have just been a bit too busy to get that permit. i just started riding again afte a few months of not riding. so i saw no point in going when the bike wasnt being used.