PDA

View Full Version : Carbon Fiber vs. Kevlar clutch plates, which is best??? Help

pilot
1st December 2004, 19:29
Okay, I have to do the clutch on the Buell chop, I have the option of carbon fiber or kevlar plates, both by Barnett. They are only $5.00 difference in price and the Barnett rep even said they are about the same. I don't know which way to go or why they would offer 2 different materials, priced so close together that are effectively just as good as each other. I am also going to install the stronger clutch springs. It may help you to know I run a 230 on the rear, don't burn it down, but want it to grab good when I get on it and last for a while.

Give me your input as I want to go ahead and order the plates today or tomorrow. thanks in advance

XLFREAK
1st December 2004, 19:41
I just read that carbon is favored over kevlar now. It was in a new paperback called Harley-Davidson Bolt-on Performance: Maximum Performance For Big Twins And Sportsters by Jerry Smith. There is an interview with Bartels and they say they are going more for carbon. You might ask the Barnett rep to confirm this.

sportsterrific
1st December 2004, 20:06
Is there a weight difference between the materials?

Turbota
1st December 2004, 21:00
Maybe about 4oz

stevo
1st December 2004, 23:14
I havn't used the carbon ones yet (or I don't think I have, I've ridden a few customer bikes with new Barnetts in 'em and I think there may have been one or two with carbon plates...but not sure, so can't say yes)

The stock plates have a smoother take up than the Barnetts and are better for street use, 'specially with the heavy spring.

rottenralph
2nd December 2004, 03:59
I have the carbon fiber one new this year and it grabs real strong. I tend to burn more tire and do a little less wheeleeing. I am guessing that it grabs the rear tire a little harder and it burns the rear tire loose real damn fast. I used to pull the front up but I will take the wheel spin as long as she stays straight. Still not thrilled with the heavy spring I put on 5 years ago. Kills your forearm in traffic. Does not slip.

fourteen
31st January 2006, 01:57
Any new opinions on the kevlar vs. carbon fiber clutch plates topic? I am also leaning towards replacing my plates with an extra plate Barnett kit, either kevlar or carbon fiber. And probably sticking with the stock spring.

stevo
31st January 2006, 02:26
if ya plates aren't burnt or worn out then just buy 2 steels and another fibre.. heaps cheaper than a Barnett

woody95
31st January 2006, 03:06
I replaced my clutch with Barnett kevlar plates. Got rid of the steel ring. I find it grabs a lot better than the stock. I was told this clutch should last a lifetime.
Bob

aswracing
31st January 2006, 14:57
I've found the kevlar plates hold more torque than the carbon fibers. I know the advertising says the carbon fiber has a higher coefficient of friction, but I had a lot of trouble with the carbon fiber plates letting go when I'd get into the nitrous. I could get the kevlar's to let go, too, but it took more juice.

fourteen
1st February 2006, 02:29
Thanks!

Indeed it would be cheaper to buy and install an additional OEM friction and two additional OEM steel plates. But, that assumes there is nothing wrong with the rest of the plates. If you do have to replace the OEM ones, then it seems to be more expensive to use new OEM plates than for example use a Barnett kit.

FYI, I called Barnett and was told that the carbon fiber is "more high tech" than the kevlar plates and withstand higher temperature better. They are more or less the same price and "...if it was me I would shell out the few extra dollars and get the carbon fiber" according to the Barnett rep.

Mr05tundra
9th January 2013, 23:00
I know that this is an old post but for those of you who need a little bit more info; I spoke with a rep at Barnett clutches and they said that if you ride your bike hard, you will want to get a Carbon Fibre clutch since the kevlar tends to glaze if you ride your bike real hard.

Apparently the Carbon fibre plates work best when they are hot.

Jo-eL

madnss
9th January 2013, 23:15
I know that this is an old post but for those of you who need a little bit more info; I spoke with a rep at Barnett clutches and they said that if you ride your bike hard, you will want to get a Carbon Fibre clutch since the kevlar tends to glaze if you ride your bike real hard.

Apparently the Carbon fibre plates work best when they are hot.

Jo-eL

Makes sense , I have stacks of glazed carbon fiber I need to go over.

DonChicago48
10th January 2013, 01:26
I just replaced my stock clutch stack with the Barnett Extra-Plate Clutch (http://www.barnettclutches.com/products/clutch_plates_springs.aspx?type=clutches_harley&clutch_make=Sportster+(91+%26+later)_and_Buell+(91-02)&clutch_cc=)Kit using the Kevlar version. I had to adapt a Big Twin Spring Compressor to work on the Sportster clutch. Fortunately, all it took was a 7/16" X 1-7/8" dia. 1/8" hardened steel washer and a 7/16"-20 nut.

Mr05tundra
10th January 2013, 02:15
I am still deciding wether or no I should get the extra plate kit with a HD diaphragm spring (25% stronger) the only thing stoping me from getting a stiffer clutch spring is because I don't know wether it will be a pain in traffic.

Nytstr
16th January 2013, 15:11
Get the Barnett 'reduced effort' clutch cable and you won't mind the heavy duty clutch spring.